Media Explosion on Lawrence Wright's Going Clear book

Media coverage related to the Church of Scientology.

Moderator: Moderator Media

AngryGayPope

Post by AngryGayPope » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:07 pm

Hollywood Reporter does HUGE story on Sci re: Wright book
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/h ... ise-409686

It's another sleepless night for cult pr gal Karin Pouw as the Hollywood Reporter previews Lawrence Wright's new book. Nothing like blasting Tom Cruise in his own backyard :) The article even has footnotes! I've never seen a HR article with footnotes.

Print version comes out January 18th. She has till then to stop it!

Last edited by AngryGayPope on Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.

AngryGayPope

Media Explosion on Lawrence Wright Going Clear book

Post by AngryGayPope » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:26 pm

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/h ... lta-409685

Holy ravioli a second article in the same upcoming edition of the Hollywood Reporter! Poor Karin Pouw.

It wasn’t obvious how she could escape. She had been placed in RPF in March; now it was September. She didn’t know where to turn. It didn’t occur to her to call her parents because she was so apprehensive that she might bring shame on Scientology if anybody knew what had happened to her. Even if she did escape, she realized, she actually knew very little about what was going on in the world. Since she had joined Scientology at the age of 14, she had never read a book that hadn’t been written by Hubbard.

Taylor managed to slip away to visit her 10-month-old daughter in the Child Care Org across the street. To her horror, she discovered that Vanessa had contracted whooping cough, which is highly contagious and occasionally fatal. The baby’s eyes were welded shut with mucus, and her diaper was wet -- in fact, her whole crib was soaking. She was covered with fruit flies.

I'mglib

Post by I'mglib » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:14 pm

Oh wow, I'm reading this now, and it's great.

Hand made shoes, travel by private Gulfstream jet that costs 30,000-50,000 a trip, 2 stewards who take care of Miscaviges laundry and clothes, meals prepared by a staff who make 2 choices for each of the 5 courses every night.

I wonder how this will sit with people who are bankrupting themselves to donate to the church.

I think this book will be the biggest yet. I thought Janet Reitman's was good, but a little dry. This one is juicy juicy juicy.

Congrats to Lawrence Wright and everyone who participated.
"A man may build himself a throne of bayonets, but he cannot sit on it." -William Ralph Inge

Watch the Los Angeles press conference here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/ScilonTV#p/

mr_bad

Post by mr_bad » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:04 pm

Yeah, it's pretty good.

The part that will get the blood boiling is the part where it talks about DMs extravagance.

His 5 meals a day prepared by a private chef that make 2 meals for him to choose from. Waking up at noon. The cars. The private jets. The scotch.

When you contrast it to the rank and file, it's just disgusting.
Here's Jabba the Hub as he writes crappy sci-fi while his wife sits prison...OT Priorities personified!!!

I'mglib

Re: Hwd Reporter does HUGE story on Sci re: Wright book

Post by I'mglib » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:19 pm

I just finished the second part about John Travolta and his Scientology minder Spanky Taylor. This is another incredibly juicy story that apparently hasn't been told before (Taylor ends up in the RPF, child taken away, gets declared, etc). Wow.
"A man may build himself a throne of bayonets, but he cannot sit on it." -William Ralph Inge

I'mglib

Post by I'mglib » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:21 pm

One more interesting note.

The story about Spanky Taylor being sent to the RPF and having her child thrown into this horrible nursery where she gets whooping cough and terrible treatment, happened during LRH's time.

villagedianne

Post by villagedianne » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:29 pm

I just read the first article. Holy Cannoli! What a great read.
Also wanted to tell you, AGP, that I enjoyed your interview online on Louie Bee's CrotchShot radio show.
Last edited by villagedianne on Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheEvilOfScientology

Post by TheEvilOfScientology » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:51 pm

Some juicy stuff there. I'm really looking forward to reading Lawrence's book.

villagedianne

Post by villagedianne » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:54 pm

Just finished the second article. It shows that the practice of appointing Scientology handlers to important celebrities did not start under Miscavige, but under Hubbard.

Don Carlo

Post by Don Carlo » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:15 pm

Tony Ortega covers this Hollywood Reporter scoop, today at http://tonyortega.org/2013/01/09/excerp ... y-awesome/

villagedianne

Post by villagedianne » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:19 pm

The COS response is here:

http://www.scientologynews.org/statemen ... orter.html

The usual response. We never got a copy of the book, blah blah blah Wright didn't want to know our side to the story blah blah blah, he didn't interview enough real scientologists, only apostates with an agenda. You know, the usual.

AngryGayPope

Post by AngryGayPope » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:41 pm

I'mglib wrote:I think this book will be the biggest yet. I thought Janet Reitman's was good, but a little dry. This one is juicy juicy juicy..
I agree glib. Reitman's book was scholarly but a little timid. This time Wright is going for the kind of juicy gossip that both sells papers and incriminates people.

AngryGayPope

Post by AngryGayPope » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:43 pm

For me the most pathetic part of the story is David Miscavige dressing up his many dogs in clothes and treating them like people.

In West Hollywood I am surrounded by pet owners who treat dogs like people and people like dogs.

He is just the same. PATHOLOGICALLY SHALLOW!

AngryGayPope

Post by AngryGayPope » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:07 pm

villagedianne wrote:I just read the first article. Holy Cannoli! What a great read.
Also wanted to tell you, AGP, that I enjoyed your interview online on Louie Bee's CrotchShot radio show.
Thanks so much always glad to do interviews.

Don Carlo

Post by Don Carlo » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:20 pm

Thanks, villagediane, for the Karin Pouw response. I have played "Karin Pouw Insult Bingo" with it, at viewtopic.php?f=11&t=168393&p=570591

Return to “Media Reports”