Does auditing make people more autistic?

Media coverage related to the Church of Scientology.

Moderator: Moderator Media

Don Carlo

Does auditing make people more autistic?

Post by Don Carlo » Tue Mar 22, 2016 5:36 pm

CoS trains people to tamp down their emotional reactions, which is the opposite of a man with autism getting abillity to read emotions better, after a new magnetic stimulation. John Robison writes in the NY Times science section* today, how the procedure made him NOTICE that people are openly
scared, alarmed, worried and even greedy. The beauty I had envisioned was nowhere to be found.
Seeing emotion didn't make my life happy. It scared me, as the fear I felt in others took hold in me, too.
This excellent article may explain why anxious and upset newbies "get benefits" from Scientology, numbing themselves to the naked emotions of ordinary people:
1. The "bull-baiting" training routines teach them to brush off obscenities and nasty insults
2. Repetition routines like walking and touching a wall for hours puts them into a numbed (if annoyed) state
3. The Tone Scale discourage most emotions like fear, anger, and empathy. Only enthusiasm is ok if it's working frantically or applauding the photo of Hubbard.
4. The Tone Scale teaches to dismiss and look down on other peoples' emotions.
5. Us-versus-them teaches to look do upon non-Scientologists as wogs, or (for the disabled) degraded beings. So their emotions are to be ignored.
6. Keep Scientology Working teaches that anyone who criticizes Scientology is a contaminant, an SP or PTS. So their emotions are to be ignored.
7. The "Adults-in-Small-Bodies" theory teaches that it's ok if children are put to hard labor, or left alone while Mom and Dad go to the org. The child's emotions are to be dismissed.
8. New CoS students often have been hurt or humiliated by others, and really LIKE the thought that the student will become "Homo Novis" and "handle" them effortlessly.
9. CoS teaches the goal to eventually clear the planet, which means non-Scientologists will be gone, so their emotions aren't important in the long run.
10. CoS's demands for money make the public members obsess about making money to make donations, no matter if it hurts others' feelings.
11. CoS's demands that staff obsess about stats and money collection, no matter if it hurts others' feelings.

* An Experimental Autism Treatment Cost Me My Marriage, by John Elder Robison, NY Times Science, March 18, 2016, http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2016/03/1 ... ealth&_r=0

Wieber

Re: Does auditing make people more autistic?

Post by Wieber » Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:27 pm

For the physiological aspect of autism, go and read about 'synapse pruning.'
“Think wrongly if you please, but in all cases think for yourself.”
Doris Lessing

Don Carlo

Post by Don Carlo » Sat Mar 26, 2016 3:10 pm

Imagine if a newly escaped Sea Org worker realized people thought he was abrasive, wanted to get more sensitve, and tried the magnetic-pulses treatment to suddenly make him more empathetic. Think of his shock and shame to finally GET that other people are real and worthy just like himself, not objects to plunder, "handle" or discard. When dealing with children, he'd be shocked to really SEE them as vulnerable and precious, not as "adults in small bodies." Guilt may plague him. I don't recommend such a dramatic treatment right out of Scientology.

One lingering problems with recovering from a lifetime in Scientology is that the ex has no self-treatment for upsets, other than MORE auditing. So I recommend the new ex read books like "Releasing the Bonds" to first understand what HAPPENED to him, and then look for positive work and activities like meditation, real charities, pets and exercise. Watch "Judge Judy" to understand basic justice and fairness in the real world. Understand that Scientology did bad things to you and made you do bad things, but you still need to take some personal responsibility. Try to right old wrongs, or help new children to "make up" for the earlier children that Scientology made you neglect or exploit.

The ex will himself cobble together a framework to understand the real world, and find some balance. However, he may feel Scientology stunted his emotions and he can't relate to / admire / get liked by ordinary people. If he WANTS more emotional connection, he could try that new magnetic technique, and open up to the colorful, chaotic and challenging sea of other peoples' emotions. He may need counseling to navigate for awhile, without falling back into Scientology's toxic anti-emotionalism. Then he could write a book! I'd read it!

spacecootie

Post by spacecootie » Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:35 pm

Don Carlo wrote:One lingering problems with recovering from a lifetime in Scientology is that the ex has no self-treatment for upsets, other than MORE auditing.
Interesting observation. Some people view the Free Zone and independent $cn as a transition into the real world.

This makes a good case for a clean break... if the ex is able to make it.

Return to “Media Reports”