Battlefield Earth Screenwriter Writes Open Apology :)

Media coverage related to the Church of Scientology.

Moderator: Moderator Media

Sponge

Battlefield Earth Screenwriter Writes Open Apology :)

Post by Sponge » Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:34 pm

'Battlefield Earth' Screenwriter Writes Hilarious Open Apology
"I penned the suckiest movie ever - sorry!"
NY Post - J.D. Shapiro - 28th March 2010
http://www.nypost.com/p/entertainment/m ... w80Xc7aO/0
This month, "Battlefield Earth," the blockbuster bomb based on the novel by Sciento logy founder L. Ron Hubbard, won the Razzie for "Worst Movie of the Decade." J.D. Shapiro, the film's first screenwriter, accepted the award in person. Shapiro, who also wrote the screenplay for "Robin Hood: Men in Tights," "We Married Margo," and is developing a King Arthur spoof called "524 AD" (524AD.com), explains what it's like to be attached to one of Hollywood's most notorious flops.

[continued in article link]
Hahahahaha
A must read.

It is a given that the mainstream media and especially the hollywood rags will roll with this big time. LOL.

Gawker/Defamer....
Battlefield Earth Screenwriter Apologizes for 'Suckiest Movie Ever'
http://gawker.com/5503834/battlefield-e ... movie-ever

...a probably many more to follow.
(EDIT: I was right. It is just totally all over the news currently. Too many links to mention)
Last edited by Sponge on Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I_feel_great!

Post by I_feel_great! » Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:44 pm

At dinner, John [Travolta] said again how much he loved the script and called it "The 'Schindler's List' of sci-fi."
Hahahahahaha!!!!
Here are some of the [url=http://www.xenu.net/archive/go/b1drills/drills1.htm][color=red]drills used by the cult to teach its members how to be effective at destroying people they don't like.[/color][/url]

brownjedi

Post by brownjedi » Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:50 pm

I now see his connection or lack there of to the cult.
this was the one the church founder wanted most to become a movie. He wrote extensive notes on how the movie should be made.
And now we see that Lcon did "touch" this movie and make his mark, which is why it sucked ass...

brownjedi

Post by brownjedi » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:39 pm

Anonymous thanks you.

Check out the comment section....too many to list, but all good.

Wieber

Post by Wieber » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:21 am

A couple of excerpts from J. D. Shapiro's article:
J. D. Shapiro wrote:My script was very, VERY different than what ended up on the screen.
J. D. Shapiro wrote:Then I got another batch of notes. I thought it was a joke. They changed the entire tone. I knew these notes would kill the movie. The notes wanted me to lose key scenes, add ridiculous scenes, take out some of the key characters. I asked Mike where they came from. He said, "From us." But when I pressed him, he said, "From John's camp, but we agree with them."

I refused to incorporate the notes into the script and was fired.

I HAVE no idea why they wanted to go in this new direction, but here's what I heard from someone in John's camp: Out of all the books L. Ron wrote, this was the one the church founder wanted most to become a movie. He wrote extensive notes on how the movie should be made.
When I saw Battlefield Earth I used to wonder about the script. I use to wonder why it was so filled with clichés, for one thing. I used to think, 'couldn't they have done another rewrite?'

From what J. D. Shapiro says in this article what I have to conclude is that Travolta and company modified Shapiro's script according to L. Ron Hubbard's notes.

I'm reading what Shapiro wrote here and I finally get it. What went on the screen was exactly what L. Ron Hubbard wanted and the way he wanted it.

The reason Battlefield Earth is as bad as it is is directly because of L. Ron Hubbard's input and command intention with regard to the movie. That Razzie should be on display in a special showcase in the lobby of the celebrity center in Los Angeles. Hang on to it, J. D. Take care of it. Make sure nothing happens to it and that you don't lose it. Some day it should be in a special showcase in a special museum. I hope you get to be one of the ribbon cutters when that museum opens.
“Think wrongly if you please, but in all cases think for yourself.”
Doris Lessing

Simonymous

Post by Simonymous » Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:00 am

Wieber wrote:The reason Battlefield Earth is as bad as it is is directly because of L. Ron Hubbard's input and command intention with regard to the movie. That Razzie should be on display in a special showcase in the lobby of the celebrity center in Los Angeles. Hang on to it, J. D. Take care of it. Make sure nothing happens to it and that you don't lose it. Some day it should be in a special showcase in a special museum. I hope you get to be one of the ribbon cutters when that museum opens.
Quoting because this paragraph makes me happy!
“...the injuries that {Hubbard} handled by the use of Dianetics procedures were never handled, because they were injuries that never existed; therefore, Dianetics is based on a lie; therefore, Scientology is based on a lie.” --Tommy Davis

Sponge

Post by Sponge » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:02 pm

Well, the newsmedia is still awash with L.Ron Hubbard's failure. We must thank John Travolta for helping to ensure that Commodore Vistaril got all his screenplay instructions rigidly ahered to.

By the way, did you know that during promotion for the Battlefield Earth movie they had a 30ft high inflatable John Travolta constructed (as Terl, his movie character)?
They had this ludicrous thing exhibited in Hollywood and even toured him round some cities and a few military bases.

http://www.battlefieldearth.com/news/go/2/index.htm

Hollywood:

Chicago:

Canada:

At some army base:

Also, Roger Ebert, in tweeting a link to the OP article, gives some useful advice....

Wieber

Post by Wieber » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:43 am

Look what I found.
John, meet Xenu.
“Think wrongly if you please, but in all cases think for yourself.”
Doris Lessing

Sponge

Post by Sponge » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:53 am

Wieber wrote:Look what I found.
John, meet Xenu.
^LOL It's an imposter!!!!!!

JohnS

Post by JohnS » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:48 am

I don't know, I think, with the right spin, the distinction of being
one of the worst movies (in movie history?) might turn this
sow's ear into a silk purse. Collector's will just have to own a copy
because of its distinct qualities. Film schools, Cinema departments
at Universities etc. will find that they must inventory the film, include
it in their curricula as "How NOT to make a film"!

secularpatriot

Post by secularpatriot » Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:30 am

Now I'm waiting for an apology from Corey Mandell (who has no further screenwriting credits on imdb). And Roger Christian. And John Travolta. And...

spacecootie

Post by spacecootie » Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:36 pm

I think the most significant part of J.D. Shapiro's statements is that he made them at all.

For years, everybody in Scientollywood was afraid to make fun of the cult. People stayed away, or quietly dropped out after taking some classes, but nobody openly laughed at them.

This is just more evidence that the Scilon empire is fading every day, even in their few remaining strongholds.

Sponge

Re: Battlefield Earth Screenwriter Writes Open Apology :)

Post by Sponge » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:46 pm

Continued critcism of Hubbard's Battlefield Earth movie incarnation with John Travolta is one of the few dead horses that you don't mind being dragged out by someone else and seeing flogged again.

Here we go again (basically regurgitating the same story as in the OP).

17 blockbusters so horrible even their creators say they sucked
blastr.com 19th Jan 2012
http://blastr.com/2012/01/17-blockbusters-so-horrib.php
John Travolta's passion project, an adaptation of L. Ron Hubbard's Battlefield Earth, is a train wreck. And those aren't our words, that comes directly from the man who wrote the screenplay, J.D. Shapiro, as he described it 10 years later in a confessional piece he wrote for the New York Post titled "I penned the suckiest movie ever - sorry":
  • "Let me start by apologizing to anyone who went to see Battlefield Earth," he goes on to say. "It wasn't as I intended—promise. No one sets out to make a train wreck. Actually, comparing it to a train wreck isn't really fair to train wrecks, because people actually want to watch those."
It's a gift that just keeps on giving.

Demented LRH

Post by Demented LRH » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:20 am

I did not watch the movie, he does not have to apologize to me. But I do feel sorry for the folk who saw it.
“This OT shit is driving me insane. On a positive side, I laugh a lot these days because I’m at a funny farm.”
L. Ron Hubbard

L. Ron Hubbard era un maestro de masturbacion fisica y mental.

brownjedi

Post by brownjedi » Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:07 pm

I finally saw it not too long ago, was showed on cable, and it was not good at all. How did Forrest Whitaker get sucked into such a horrible movie?

Return to “Media Reports”