CoS in negotiations to buy Ybor Square (*update: Opened)

Media coverage related to the Church of Scientology.

Moderator: Moderator Media

Sponge
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

CoS in negotiations to buy Ybor Square (*update: Opened)

Post by Sponge » Sat May 01, 2010 10:38 pm

CL’s new landlord? Church of Scientology in negotiations to buy Ybor Square
creativeloafing.com May 1, 2010
http://blogs.creativeloafing.com/dailyl ... or-square/

Last week, as Creative Loafing was preparing to move from temporary quarters to permanent office space in Ybor Square (right), we heard the rumors: The historic former cigar factory, built in 1886 by Vicente Martinez Ybor, was up for sale — and the prospective buyer was The Church of Scientology.

Whoa.

We looked into it. No one could confirm. Calls weren’t returned. Then I checked with the City of Tampa’s zoning office, and there it was in black and white: In a letter from Zoning Administrator Catherine Coyle dated April 27, Church of Scientology of Tampa had received approval for “an office with a place of assembly” at 1911 N. 13th St. — the 87,337-square-foot complex between 8th & 9th Avenues and 13th and 14th Streets also known as Ybor Square.

continued in article link....

Sea Horse
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Sea Horse » Sun May 02, 2010 5:22 am

Stupid scilons. They just won't believe their own stats in Ybor City. Remember the scilon who left and said he was the most successful body router at the Ybor center and in two years only made two scientologists? (or some such pathetically small stats)

The article is a hoot.
One thing’s clear: If the deal does come to fruition, Creative Loafing will enjoy, if that’s the word, a unique vantage point: a next-door-neighbor’s view of what goes on at the Tampa facilities of one of the most controversial religious organizations in the world.

We’ll be auditing you, COS.
We are the architects of our own lives. Design and build the life you want.

Sponge

Post by Sponge » Sun May 02, 2010 2:16 pm

Sea Horse wrote:Stupid scilons. They just won't believe their own stats in Ybor City. Remember the scilon who left and said he was the most successful body router at the Ybor center and in two years only made two scientologists? (or some such pathetically small stats)

The article is a hoot.
One thing’s clear: If the deal does come to fruition, Creative Loafing will enjoy, if that’s the word, a unique vantage point: a next-door-neighbor’s view of what goes on at the Tampa facilities of one of the most controversial religious organizations in the world.

We’ll be auditing you, COS.
Well have to dig out the links for that sometime and send it to the Creative Loafing site. It might be of interest to them the next time they want to do another article taking the piss out of the cult.

Sponge

Post by Sponge » Sun May 02, 2010 10:17 pm

^update on that>>>>>

http://forums.whyweprotest.net/15-media ... ost1236335
AnonMomAnon2, posting on WWP, wrote:Search for the WIN!

http://forums.whyweprotest.net/291-scie ... post828199

I WAS WAAAAAY OFF, but it's still lulzy:

GOOD NEWS FROM TAMPA BAY April 09
There are NO dox. It's a report from one of Xenu's Harem.

GOOD NEWS FROM TAMPA BAY

As many of you know Clearwater's FLAG Land Base is Scientology's "mecca" ---where every SCN in good standing goes for courses. What DOESN'T happen much in Clearwater is recruiting new members. Yes there's the Bellaire Mission that sends a couple recruiters to the beach to try to recruit tourists occasionally, but the main thrust of recruiting new members in the Tampa Bay area happens in the city of Tampa---most specifically at the Ybor City Life Improvement Center.

At the LIC, the sole purpose IS recruiting new members and they've been very active there for years now. See: Return of the Living Yborg! and YBORG REVISITED and YBORG UPDATE: New Recruiting Tools for August 2004

Since June 2003, SCN recruiters were relentless chasing down people in the streets of Ybor trying to get them inside what we eventually termed the YBORG.

But now there's good news!

The most tenacious/relentless and SUCCESSFUL recruiter on staff at the YBORG has BLOWN! And, not only has he blown but he is actively working behind the scenes to take down the cult! In a recent interview with [op removed name] he revealed his stats while in:

18,000 people in the door (that's just this ONE recruiter's stats over a period of five years on staff at Yborg) 4,000 books sold and get this:

ONLY TWO SCIENTOLOGISTS MADE!

That's right---out of 18,000 people he was only able to convert TWO people to Scientology....and this stat is from Tampa Bay's number one recruiter in the main recruiting office for the entire Tampa Bay area!

He's done his internet research and found all the facts---he's mad as hell and is working to get as many people OUT of the cult as he can. He said during his interview that he's HAPPIER than he's ever been (he got in the cult at age 4) and he feels FREE for the first time in his life.

This is a good indication of the EPIC FAIL going on inside the cult. It won't be long now, Xenu willing ;-)

Dorothy

Post by Dorothy » Sun May 02, 2010 10:41 pm

He's done his internet research and found all the facts---he's mad as hell and is working to get as many people OUT of the cult as he can. He said during his interview that he's HAPPIER than he's ever been (he got in the cult at age 4) and he feels FREE for the first time in his life.
He only has to get TWO people out of the cult to have "made up the damage" he did. :lol:
“The sad truth is that most evil is done by people who never make up their minds to be good or evil.”
― Hannah Arendt

Sea Horse

Post by Sea Horse » Sun May 02, 2010 11:24 pm

Good find, Sponge. I spent a lot of time looking for that post and never found it. You did.

:cheerleader:

Sponge

Post by Sponge » Sun May 02, 2010 11:38 pm

Sea Horse wrote:Good find, Sponge. I spent a lot of time looking for that post and never found it. You did.

:cheerleader:
I didn't. I just asked your question on the parallel media thread running on WWP (which I reference in my post above) and AnonMomAnon2 there came up with the goods.

Still no concrete dox so I don't know if the Creative Loafing blog people can do anything with that (which is basically just hearsay).

Sponge

Post by Sponge » Tue May 04, 2010 2:07 am

>> Scientology wants room for growth in Ybor City - St. Petersburg Times - May 4th 2010 <<

article comments open

Story also noted on the Association of Alternative Newsweeklies site..
http://aan.org/alternative/church_of_sc ... id=2031286

Sponge

Post by Sponge » Thu May 06, 2010 4:41 pm

Creative Loafing blog, Tampa, updates.....
Church of Scientology of Tampa buys Ybor Square: It’s a done deal
http://blogs.creativeloafing.com/dailyl ... done-deal/

Includes dox scans

Sea Horse

Post by Sea Horse » Thu May 06, 2010 4:57 pm

Sponge wrote:Creative Loafing blog, Tampa, updates.....
Church of Scientology of Tampa buys Ybor Square: It’s a done deal
http://blogs.creativeloafing.com/dailyl ... done-deal/

Includes dox scans
Hasn't shown up yet in public records: http://www.hcpafl.org/

:pukel: :pukel: :pukel: :pukel: :pukel: :pukel: :pukel: :pukel:

I wouldn't pay rent to the Church of Scientology. I'd somehow get the new lease "annulled" on the basis of objection to making payments to an abusive and paranoid organization that practices Human Trafficking.

I'd find a new office building to operate out of. And if the Church of Scientology didn't want to "annul" the lease pleasantly, I'd make damn sure they knew that I would practice every investigatory skill and resource I could drum up and publish my findings broadly and repeatedly until they beg for quarter.

Sponge

Post by Sponge » Thu May 06, 2010 5:59 pm

inb4 Scientology OSA plants bugs the Creative Loafing offices using "maintenance staff"

Sponge

Post by Sponge » Tue May 18, 2010 9:04 am

UPDATE: A very interesting development......

Experts say city of Tampa violated zoning for Scientologists
WTSP 17th May 2010
http://www.wtsp.com/news/local/story.as ... 69&catid=8
(Includes TV video report - a must see)

Update: Here's a youtube version of the TV report if you can't view the one in the above link).....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbgxceIzkYg
Last edited by Sponge on Tue May 18, 2010 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ladybird

Post by Ladybird » Tue May 18, 2010 5:47 pm

Sponge wrote:UPDATE: A very interesting development......

Experts say city of Tampa violated zoning for Scientologists
WTSP 17th May 2010
http://www.wtsp.com/news/local/story.as ... 69&catid=8
(Includes TV video report - a must see)
Un~fricken~ believable!

Please do watch the video: http://www.wtsp.com/video/de

Thank you so much Sponge for your tireless efforts to keep us informed.
[i]"There is nothing as wild in the books of Man as will probably happen here on Earth...it will happen and be allowed to happen simply because all this is so incredible that nobody will even think of stopping it until it is far, far too late"~LRH[/i]

Don Carlo

Post by Don Carlo » Tue May 18, 2010 9:03 pm

Big issue: property taxes. When did it say there'll be religious services? After the purchase? If so, the city could accuse it of buying under false pretenses.

If CoS ruins the Ybor City tourist business by peddling books and stress tests to pedestrians, and clogging up parking spaces, that hurts the City further.

What can the city can do? Maybe levy taxes from Day 1 on it like any business. If it refuses to pay the taxes, they could give it the standard punishment for not paying taxes, like any other person or business refusing to pay taxes. If it pays the taxes, it gets treated like a law-abiding good citizen.

If the City doesn't have the stomach for forcing tax payments, how about refusing ambitious permits for renovating the building, on the basis that
it's a historic building in a non-religious zone?
Last edited by Don Carlo on Wed May 19, 2010 3:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sponge

Post by Sponge » Tue May 18, 2010 11:25 pm

Youtube version of the above WTSP TV report:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbgxceIzkYg

Return to “Media Reports”