Melbourne: CoS flying in its own audience for org opening

Media coverage related to the Church of Scientology.

Moderator: Moderator Media

Sponge

Re: Melbourne: CoS flying in its own audience for org openin

Post by Sponge » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:59 pm

The cult's youtube channel "scientologymedia" is now showing their PR video....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOSNL2I8rY8
Video News Release, Church of Scientology Grand Opening in Melbourne, Australia, on 29 January 2011.

Acknowledging the Church for its many contributions to the community were Melbourne Lord Mayor the Honourable Robert Doyle, Moonee Valley City Councillor Paul Giuliano, Shadow Minister for Tourism and Major Events, the Honourable Justin Madden, Sociologist Professor Gary Bouma and former Indigenous Person of the Year Uncle Bob Randall.

brownjedi

Post by brownjedi » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:09 pm

They will fly in peeps, then photo shop others in....its their MO

skeptic2girl

Post by skeptic2girl » Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:22 pm

From "Bare-Faced Messiah": This is what L. Ron said about Australia (after the Australian Board of Inquiry published its negative report on Scientology came out in 1965):

'Only a society founded by criminals, organized by criminals and devoted to making people criminals, could come to such a conclusion [about Scientology] . . .' the introduction declared. 'The foundation of Victoria consists of the riff-raff of London's slums - robbers, murderers, prostitutes, fences, thieves - the scourings of Newgate and Bedlam . . . the niceties of truth and fairness, of hearing witnesses and weighing evidence, are not for men whose ancestry is lost in the promiscuity of the prison ships of transportation . . .'

http://www.clambake.org/archive/books/bfm/bfm15.htm

sekh

Post by sekh » Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:35 pm

Wonder if they knew that in Melbourne when the building license was granted.....
"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them."
Sir Karl Popper (1902 - 1994)

Sponge

Post by Sponge » Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:35 pm

A peek inside Scientology's sleek new Melbourne base
The Age 5th Feb 2011
http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/a-pee ... 1agxo.html

Snippets....
[...]

Scientology says it paid $7 million for the building and spent $14 million on its restoration. But it is less forthcoming about the source of the funds, citing ''successful scientologists who have contributed according to their own means'' and the sale of its Russell Street premises.

The new 6400-square-metre building was needed for the church's ''growing numbers''

[...]

Virginia Stewart, the official spokeswoman, takes us up what she says is a 1930s staircase, past a sign that reads: ''Silence! Auditing in Progress.'' Auditing is the Scientologist version of counselling, and Ms Stewart says some people spend up to $1000 for long stints of it.

[...]

An aid to auditing is the E-Meter, or Electropsychometer, which is supposed to indicate a change of resistance in the mind of the person holding two tubes attached to a meter. Ms Stewart invites me to try it. When was your last disagreement? she asks. The meter does not flicker. Who last upset you? she tries again. Still the meter is unmoved. I feel I should apologise for my lack of angst. She confides that another journalist tried it the other day and the meter went whoooosh!

[...]

In another part of the building is the Purification Centre, for what is described as a religious ritual to free one from drugs and toxins in the body's fatty tissues. Those with heart and some other medical conditions are told not to do the program. People pay about $1500 for the purification, which often involves weeks of running on a treadmill and long periods in a sauna. Many vitamins are taken including vitamin A - people start on 5000 international units a day and some can build up to 50,000 a day.

Australian Medical Association vice-president Steve Hambleton says there is no physiological need for a purification regime, and prolonged use of more than 25,000 international units of vitamin A daily can cause serious side effects.

A video of the centre's opening is on YouTube, along with a caption describing Cr Doyle and Mr Madden as ''acknowledging the church for its many contributions to the community''. But if the scientologists hoped the video would go viral, they might be disappointed. Yesterday, it still had fewer than 1000 viewers.
Woooosh! LOL

Scientologist claims a little rich
LETTER OF THE DAY From: Herald Sun February 05, 2011
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/ipad/scient ... 6000406928
I HAVE read with interest comments relating to Lord Mayor Robert Doyle's participation at the Scientology centre opening in Ascot Vale last weekend.

In the 1950s, some friends and I, because we were at an age when we were interested in new experiences, attended the first Scientology meetings held in Melbourne by a young couple in Hawthorn.

At that time the organisation was not referred to, nor promoted as, a church.

It was only after the Victorian government, because of concerns about the organisation's control over its members, banned Scientology from Victoria that the organisation registered/renamed itself as the Church of Scientology. As such, it was able to re-enter Victoria under the state's religious tolerance laws.

Given this, I find the statement from Scientology's Australian president, Vicki Dunstan, that "religious intolerance is not something new to Australia", just a little rich.

If it weren't for Australia's religious tolerance, Scientology possibly would not have the opportunity to practise in a country I am proud of for its laws protecting every citizen's "freedom of religion".

Bill (Wilf) Lumley, Shepparton
Letter of the day winner receives a stylish Parker Sonnet ball pen, from Parker.
Noice! ;)

sekh

Post by sekh » Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:10 pm

former Indigenous Person of the Year Uncle Bob Randall.
Was Uncle BoB Randall formerly indigenous or was he the former person of the year?

In either case, what has this guy to do at the grand opening of the new Scion-base? What have Scions ever done for the indigenous people of Australia? Nothing, apart from peddling dangerous alcoholism treatments, which is fortunately no longer allowed in the Northern Territories.

For more info:
http://forum.reachingforthetippingpoint ... 112.0.html

LRH was a racist, a few wealthy black Scions like Isaac Hayes can't change the basic tenet of Scientology, which is White Superiority. That's one thing CoS has in common with the Australian ruling elite.

Uncle Bob here was doubly used, by CoS and by the Melbourne municipality.
Former Indigenous Person of the Year, the FIPY. That's still a long way to being a VIP. But I hope he had a nice party at the cost of Davey and the mayor of Melbourne.

Hypocrites, yuk.
"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them."
Sir Karl Popper (1902 - 1994)

Sponge

Post by Sponge » Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:23 pm

^above was also reported in OCMB Media Reports....
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=33278

Sponge

Post by Sponge » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:15 am

Doyle 'would rethink Scientology visit'
The Age 3rd Feb 2011
http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/doyle ... 1aeom.html
Melbourne lord mayor Robert Doyle says he would rethink his decision to attend the opening of a new Scientology centre in Melbourne if given his time again given the furore his presence caused.

Cr Doyle faced widespread criticism for accepting the role of guest speaker at the opening of the Church of Scientology's multimillion-dollar headquarters on Mount Alexander Road in Ascot Vale on Saturday.

Despite insisting he only attended the private function as a friend of Scientologist Kate Ceberano, Cr Doyle said in hindsight he would probably avoid the event if given his change again.

Advertisement: Story continues below "I probably wouldn't do it because it has been such a distraction," Cr Doyle told radio 3AW today.

"But I didn't mean to offend anybody or lend authority to anybody. I was asked a favour by a friend and I did it and no one should draw any inference about Scientology and me from that.

"But look, you're probably right, given that it has been such a distraction I probably wouldn't do it again."

Also at the event was former planning minister Justin Madden, who says he attended the opening as the Member for Essendon.

Cr Doyle revealed that he arrived at the headquarters in the mayoral limousine and stood with Mr Madden to pull a cord which officially opened the centre, before both men spoke to the congregation.

Leading the chorus of opposition to Cr Doyle's presence was Independent Senator Nick Xenophon, who has been spearheading the push to overturn the church's formal recognition as a religious body.

The lord mayor's decision to attend the opening also put him at odds with Victorian Premier Ted Baillieu who said he was "no fan" of the church.

Local newspapers had reported rumours that church director Cheryl Wickens would be joined by guests including celebrity Scientologists such as Tom Cruise or John Travolta at the opening, however none attended.
A "distraction"? Aw, Poor you.
Prick.

Meanwhile, in the Moonee Valley Leader, we have this piece in which Cyrus Brooks lies about scientology membership....
Science defiance in Moonee Valley
7th Feb 2011
http://moonee-valley-leader.whereilive. ... -defiance/
“We’ve made mistakes in the past, like every religion, but Scientology dates back to 1952 and is recognised as a religion and already has 250,000 members - 7500 of them are in Australia.”
So, worldwide member ship is no longer 10million or 8millionor however many million it has said in the past but now it's 250,000.Welll at least that's a step in the right direction and craps on Miscavige's claims that scientology is the "fastest growing religion".
As for 7,500 scientologists being in Australia? The last census in 2006 revealed that only 2507 were willing to admit to being a scientologist and all indications are that this figure is unlikely to be larger today in view of all the OTs that have blown aswell as first hand attendance reports at org events (which are always pitiful).

Sponge

Post by Sponge » Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:43 am

Now it's the other idiot's turn, MP Justin Madden, to squirm in the spotlight....

Justin Madden justifies Scientology visit
Mooney Valley Weekly 8th Feb 2011
http://www.mooneevalleyweekly.com.au/ne ... 69454.aspx
ESSENDON MP Justin Madden has defended his decision to attend the opening of a new Scientology centre in Ascot Vale.

Mr Madden said he was invited as the local member and asked to speak at the opening.

A practising Catholic, Mr Madden said he was happy to attend the functions and events of other "faith communities".

"It's beyond my role to pass judgment on various faith communities - a feature of Victoria is its cultural and religious diversity."

Council officers and councillors from Moonee Valley were invited, however, only Buckley ward councillor Paul Giuliano attended.

Cr Giuliano said it was a great event. "I went to the official opening to a building that has been magnificently restored, regardless of what their beliefs are. The building looks fantastic."
Don't they get the fucking net?
Scientology is a religious system created by science fiction writer L Ron Hubbard.

Melbourne Scientology spokesman Nigel Mannock said the new centre was required to accommodate the growing number of believers in Victoria.

He said the new headquarters was run by 200 volunteers who gave up their time to help others in the community. "The facilities include a large chapel which doubles as a public auditorium available to the community.

"We have a number of course rooms dedicated to our life improvement courses including literacy, relationships and communication, as well as facilities for our community outreach programs including drug education, human rights education, morals education as well as a base for our disaster response program which is among the largest volunteer groups in the world.

"Unique in this new church facility is also a multimedia information centre where people can find out for

themselves who we are and what we do."
Blah blah bullshit blah.
200 volunteers? LOL, what do they do? Reg each other?

Hman

Post by Hman » Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:46 am

Just went to watch the vid to see if I could spot the clam I work with atthe opening, but it came back as private
"In a fight between you and the world, back the world"

Frank Zappa

Sponge

Post by Sponge » Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:29 am

^well spotted Hman. It wasn't private when it was posted because I watched it. It's on the cult's own "scientologymedia" youtube channel. I wonder what they are afraid of? LOL.
I've asked on the media thread on whyweprotest.net so hopefully someone has saved it and can re-upload somewhere.
Since almost everyone in the audience has their back to camera then I'm not sure how you'd be able to spot anyone you knew but if you can then you might be more likely to do it using the high-resolution pictures (there's a link under each of the small inline images) in this post earlier in this thread here: viewtopic.php?p=389496#p389496
There might have been some brief shots on the video showing some people inside the org where you could see a few people's faces but IIRC it was only brief.

There were a couple of scientologists interviewed outside the org in the Today Tonight news video.

Return to “Media Reports”