New Haven forecloses on Church of Scientology property

Media coverage related to the Church of Scientology.

Moderator: Moderator Media

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Sponge
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Sponge » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:16 am

The Register Citizen 22nd August 2011
http://www.registercitizen.com/articles ... =fullstory

By MARY E. O’LEARY
Special to The Register Citizen

NEW HAVEN — The Church of Scientology on Whalley Avenue pulled building permits to convert a former furniture store to a church in 2004, but lacking any progress, it lost its tax-exempt status and now is fighting a foreclosure action by the city that is trying to recoup taxes it says it is owed.

The church, which has a business office at 909 Whalley Ave., bought the former Hallock’s warehouse and showroom at 949 Whalley Ave. near the corner of Blake Street in 2003.

Adam Joseph, spokesman for the city, said the tax-exempt status was granted for the 2007 grand list on the basis that remodeling to accommodate a place of worship would be performed on an ongoing basis. State statutes allow this designation as long as progress is being made on the renovation.

Joseph said subsequent re-inspections by the assessor’s office “determined construction work was not continuing and exempt status was revoked” with a notice to church officials in January 2009 for the 2008 grand list, which meant taxes on the property were due on July 2009.

The amount of taxes due, according to court records, is $16,702 payable on July 1, 2009 and $44,196 as of July 1, 2010.

He said buildings used for religious purposes “are not typically re-inspected annually; only those in which such construction work is (presumably) progressing.”

Joseph said there are no other churches in the city that failed to complete proposed construction that put their exempt status in jeopardy.

After checking his records, Building Inspector Andy Rizzo said: “I terminated the building permit on Feb. 5, 2009 for lack of any work.”

On Friday, the building permit from 2004 was still attached to the door with construction material visible inside on the floor of the entryway and a second entrance gated shut. There was no one on the site.

Attorney Nicholas Mingione, who is representing the church, in his court filings said the city did not notify his client of the loss of the tax exemption until Feb. 25, 2010 and he accused the assessor and tax collector of “extracting payments by abuse of process.”

[...contnues in article link...]
First mentioned in Org Patrol here: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=36912

brownjedi
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: New Haven forecloses on Church of Scientology property

Post by brownjedi » Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:40 pm

Another one bites the dust. Clearwater could take a lesson from New Haven

ChefXenu

Post by ChefXenu » Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:31 am

So the self proclaimed "fastest growing religion in the world" that says it "makes the able more able" is so amazingly "upstat" that they are now more able than ever before to be in foreclosure in Connecticut.
REB Slaughter (USN-RET)(SP V)
614-321-XENU http://www.chefxenu.net
4th (or 5th) Marcabian Invader Force Mess Saucer 1138

bubbler

Post by bubbler » Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:45 am

Funny. I can hear Burns saying it. What's up with Bengaltown, Chef?

ChefXenu

Post by ChefXenu » Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:08 am

I'm in Buckeye City (Columbus) where not much has happened since a drunk driver put me on medical leave from raiding (no progress toward even starting on the Idle Org renovations, no luck selling the downtown Org building, and no mention of the Cbus Org in recent Scientology pubs) but from what I've seen, Cudgel and the rest of Cinci's cell are keeping the Bengaltown Org from getting bored. The Cbus Org must be bored as hell what with us no longer providing entertainment on Saturdays and the dearth of new public to con.

As recon and online activism is about all I'm going to be good for until I can get a piece of my hip put in my shoulder, I'll keep you posted if I see anything significant happening.

edit: I'm also good for chatting about srs bsns with academics, though I don't get to too terribly often (see chapter 6 of Hugh Urban's The Church of Scientology: A History of a New Religion) :)
REB Slaughter (USN-RET)(SP V)
614-321-XENU http://www.chefxenu.net
4th (or 5th) Marcabian Invader Force Mess Saucer 1138

Return to “Media Reports”