Elston's Oslo February 10th picket report

Elston Gunnn

Elston's Oslo February 10th picket report

Post by Elston Gunnn » Sun Feb 10, 2008 3:04 pm

Went downtown today to check out the Anonymous picket. Strolled up Karl Johan, Oslo's main street in the direction of the parliament building (the Storting) in front of which the demonstration was to take place. Went past the "church", there were big police cars outside and two guys from a security company were guarding the entrance. Small groups of picketers were walking up and down the street handing out flyers and talking to passers-by!

Continued down to the parliament, where about 30 picketers were gathered. Most of them looked like they were in their late teens or early twenties. No masks, but some wore sunglasses, 3D glasses and hats of different shapes and sizes. I would estimate that there were about 50 picketers in total!

Everyone behaved peacefully and politely, but it was evident that not many of them had picketed before. Hopefully, today's picket will prove a valuable learning experience. Bigger signs with clearer messages and cathcphrases to better ignite the interest of the public will help a lot!

Neither was the time or place optimal. Downtown Oslo is quite dead on a Sunday, and there was little through traffic where the demo was held. All the better that smaller groups of picketers were constantly walking up and down Karl Johan handing out flyers. Many of the people that took flyers and talked to the protesters seemed genuinely interested.

There were several cameras in operation and I really look forward to seeing some footage on Youtube and elsewhere. Some filmers (strange looking older guys) may have been cultists, but they may also have been random tourists, as the Parliament building is something of an attraction.

Watching these great kids demonstrate against the Cult was inspiring, and I already look forward to the next Oslo picket!
http://www.geocities.com/xemuboy/

Kilia

Post by Kilia » Sun Feb 10, 2008 3:09 pm

Thank you for the report, Elston. Well done! :)

muffins

Post by muffins » Sun Feb 10, 2008 4:51 pm

Great picket report! ;-) :D

There's nothing to add, really. It was peaceful and we handed out several hundred flyers. We had some great conversations with people who wanted to know more about Scientology and why we were there. I was also surprised at how many police officers who were there when the demonstration started.

Other than that I heard that the Norwegian Scientologists had originally planned a demonstration of their own, demonstrating against us/for Scientology, but that they backed out at the last minute. Instead a couple of Scientologists decided to watch the whole demonstration and come talk to us. Everything was peaceful... and rumor is, another demonstration is planned March 15th.

Elston Gunnn

Post by Elston Gunnn » Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:40 pm

And here's a video from Oslo!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1aJWpU9Hmpg

See you March 15!

muffins

Post by muffins » Thu Feb 14, 2008 2:13 pm

Personally, I don't like this video. We had a peaceful demonstration approved by the police with lots of nice people that handed out fliers and informed the public. This video is part of the reason why I'm considering not participating the next time. It seems like some people are more into being one of anon and promoting that rather than spreading the message on Scientology. I mean, really, portraying the police this way (who were there to help us because we asked them for a police permit to demonstrate) and showing off that they're anon like this have several people siding with the Scientologists. At least that's the feedback I've gotten on this video :roll:

Elston Gunnn

Post by Elston Gunnn » Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:46 pm

I do see your point, Muffins. I aggree that the video exaggerates the police's skepticism towards the Anonymous picket. However, it makes a point of the fact that the police approved of Anonymous as serious protesters and did not see them as hooligans once Anonymous had proved that they were decent people with a legitimate agenda - something the video also shows! But I aggree, I would have cut and presented it differently.

But then again - Anonymous is a bunch of young folks and the Anonymous as a movement is brand new both to us on the outside and to the Anonymi themselves. They will have their individual takes on things, and surely many are in it for the "lulz". But I also see a growing Anonymous self-conciousness as a social/political movement. Many steps have been taken towards organization and consolidation, as evidenced on various message boards. Surely, not everyone will be in it for the long run against Scientology's abuses, but I believe the ranks of Scientology critics has gotten a permanent supply of fresh young blood.

No one knows exactly what will become of Anonymous (most likely several things), but I have faith in them, and after all they listen to wise beard men! :wink: I really hope I'll see you on March 15.

Venerable

Post by Venerable » Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:44 pm

I can't speak for everyone. But I really doubt anyone is in it JUST for the lulz. We all know this is serious stuff, and we take it very seriously. But why can't we have a fun time and joke around while picketing something serious? It's not all jokes, it's a pretty balanced combination. A combination that I personally prefer over the more "depressing" protests (Depressing when comparing).
Last edited by Venerable on Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kilia

Post by Kilia » Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:59 pm

Elston Gunnn wrote:And here's a video from Oslo!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1aJWpU9Hmpg

See you March 15!
Thank you, Elston...wonderfully done. :)

Return to “Norway”