Quotes Archive 2002

Good quotes are inspiring. Share yours here.
agentx9

Post by agentx9 » Wed Jan 02, 2002 6:25 pm

"Emancipate yourself from mental slavery / None but ourselves can free our minds."

--Bob Marley
"Redemption Song"

ravnos

Post by ravnos » Thu Jan 10, 2002 1:10 pm

"If there is a God, atheism must seem to Him as less of an insult than religion."

?Goncourt

ravnos

Post by ravnos » Thu Jan 10, 2002 1:12 pm

"Give a man a fish, and you'll feed him for a day. Give him a religion, and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish."

-Timothy Jones

ravnos

Post by ravnos » Thu Jan 10, 2002 1:14 pm

"A cult is a religion with no political power."

-Tom Wolfe

ravnos

Post by ravnos » Thu Jan 10, 2002 1:21 pm

And one for the OSA goons;
"The continued utterance of a lie does not make it true, but it does convince many that it is, particularly if you can squelch most efforts to expose the lie."

- Shapley R. Hunter, 1992 via CompuServe

ravnos

Post by ravnos » Thu Jan 10, 2002 1:22 pm

"An unexciting truth may be eclipsed by a thrilling lie."
- Aldous Huxley, Brave New World Revisited, 1958

ravnos

Post by ravnos » Thu Jan 10, 2002 1:27 pm

"A citizen of America will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote in a national election."

- Bill Vaughan

ravnos

Post by ravnos » Thu Jan 10, 2002 1:36 pm

"Every man has a right to his opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

- Bernard M. Baruch

ravnos

Post by ravnos » Thu Jan 10, 2002 2:00 pm

"Never do anything against conscience even if the state demands it."
- Albert Einstein quoted in Saturday Review obituary, 1955

Mammyyokum

Post by Mammyyokum » Thu Jan 10, 2002 9:07 pm

"Good is better than evil, because it's nicer."
- Mammy Yokum

apollo13

Post by apollo13 » Fri Jan 11, 2002 12:05 am

Scientology oder Scheintologie?

Es gibt einen Unterschied zwischen gratis und umsonst.
Meine Bildung war gratis, eine Scientologische Bildung ist umsonst.

Es gibt einen Unterschied zwischen Dummheit und Ignoranz.
Ignoranz kann man heilen. Dummheit kann man nicht.

Der getroffene Hund bellt.

Scientology - L. Ron Hubbards leere

L. Ron Hubbard über biblische Lehre:
Jesus hatte eine Freundin. Es steht nämmlich in der Bibel folgendes geschrieben, "Jesus ging in die Wüste und es folgte ihn eine lange Dürre."
(He didn't really say this but I just couldn't resist)

Die Sonne scheint und der Mond sticht.

Bei Operation Clambake kann man sich etwas 'runterladen.
Bei Scientologische Websites kann man sich höchstens 'was 'runterholen.

L. Ron Hubbard talking to an international and multi-racial convention:
"Sehr verehrte Damen, sehr geehrte Herren, liebe Neger"
(Also not true, but it could have been)

L. Ron Hubbards new book - Irren ist männlich.
(Ok so this isn't true either)

Did you know that L. Ron Hubbard was severely injured in a japanese prisoner-of-war camp?
Yep, he was blind drunk and fell out of the guard-tower.

Why does L. Ron Hubbard always admonish his followers to be alert?
Because according to him the world needs more lerts.

L. Ron Hubbards philosophy:
Was Deins ist, ist meins
Was meins ist, ist schon lange nicht (mehr) Deins.

Some more of L. Ron Hubbards philosophy:
Wer 'was wird, wird Wirt
Wer nichts wird, wird auch Wirt
Also wirst Du Wirt.

L. Ron Hubbards credo
"Big Smile, Big Smile"
(from the film lethal weapon 2)

Saguaro Rose

Post by Saguaro Rose » Fri Jan 11, 2002 12:25 am

Apollo 13:

Meine Deutsch is nicht so gut; translation, bitte?

apollo13

Post by apollo13 » Fri Jan 11, 2002 2:23 am

Hi Saguaro Rose,

Most of it is pretty dificult or imossible to translate without destroying the meaning.

For example translating:
There is no gravity, the earth sucks
into any other language would render it meaningless.

I'll try to translate some of the words though to make some of it clearer. Some of the stuff though just cannot be translated.

BTW I have two native languages German and English. Scientology has pissed me off because I feel insulted by the way they sigmatise me when they talk about Germany and Germans the way they do. See my posting "Scientology, why it disturbs me" under "Opinions & Debate" for more info.

Ok I'll try to give you an idea of what some of it means

Scientology - L. Ron Hubbards leere
Leere means empty, colloquially it refers to empty beer-bottles, and drunkenness

L. Ron Hubbard talking to an international and multi-racial convention:
"Sehr verehrte Damen, sehr geehrte Herren, liebe Neger"
(Also not true, but it could have been)

It means, Dear ladies, dear gentlemen, dear negros.
This was actually said by Heinrich Lübke (1894-1972) when he was president of the Federal Republic of Germany. He was addressing his first Ambassadors Ball in Bonn The man is famous in Germany for such verbal blunders

Bei Operation Clambake kann man sich etwas 'runterladen.
Bei Scientologische Websites kann man sich höchstens 'was 'runterholen

Herunterladen and Herunterholen (or 'runterladen and 'runterholen)
In a dictionary both words are synonymous and mean basically to get something down from somewhere
'runterladen in modern day German means to download
'runterholen means to "jerk-off"

Some more of L. Ron Hubbards philosophy:
Wer 'was wird, wird Wirt
Wer nichts wird, wird auch Wirt
Also wirst Du Wirt.

Wirt can refer to an Innkeeper, or it can refer to a host (as in a host for parasites)

Der getroffene Hund bellt.
Means "the struck dog barks"
A German would understand this with reference to the overbaord nature of Scientological litigation.

Es gibt einen Unterschied zwischen gratis und umsonst.
Meine Bildung war gratis, eine Scientologische Bildung ist umsonst.

gratis means "for free"
umsonst means "for free" but in the sense of "for nothing".
So the meaning of the above would be.
There is a difference between "for free" (gratis) and "for nothing" (umsonst).
My education was for free, a Scientologists education is for nothing.

The thing is that whenever something is translated - especially a play on words the meaning tends to get lost.

For instance something like the following just cannot be translated:
Eines kann man den Scientologen bescheinigen.
Sie sind der lebende Beweis dafür, dass Einbildung auch eine Bildung ist.

The other thing is that I am VERY poor at translating. That is the thing about being truely bilingual. I liken it to a light switch. You can either turn it on or turn it off, but you can't hold it in the middle.

It is the same with me. I either speak German to Germans or speak English to someone whose language is English.

I speak German with a rheinländische German accent and I speak English with a Scottish accent.

So you are probably better off getting this translated by someone who learned German as a foreign language.

I consider myself, and people who know me consider me, to be more German than Scottish.

don_carlo

Post by don_carlo » Fri Jan 11, 2002 3:25 pm

Danke schoen, R. Thomson. The Germans have become a role model for climbing out of the cult-like mass murder of the Holocaust. The Nazi leaders who got captured were tried and punished, some with death. The government and people admitted guilt, expressed remorse, and paid reparation. The German schools teach the real history (unlike Japan, where World War II atrocities are still whitewashed in the schools). The concentration camps are kept open as a memorial to the victims and a warning against the cruelty and stupidity of "purifying the race" or "clearing the planet."

From this bitter experience, the German government is highly alert to militant "above-the-law," anti-democratic cults, because they see the chilling parallels with Nazism.
QUOTE:
20. Did German political parties exclude Scientologists?
Yes. The parties are democratic, and support democracy. The same cannot be said about Scientology; I have numerous references that scientology reject democracy. Here just one example:
(HUBBARD QUOTE)
"A totally democratic organization has a bad name in Dianetics and Scientology despite all this talk of agreement.
I has been found by actual experiment (LA 1950) that groups of people called on to select a leader from among them by nomination and vote routinely select only those who would kill them. They select the talkers of big deeds and ignore the doers. They seem to select unerringly the men of average skill. That is never good enough in a leader and the people suffer from his lack of understanding. If you ever have occasion to elect a leader for your group, don't be "democratic" about it."
- HCOPL 2 Nov 1970, _The Theory of Scientology Organizations_. END QUOTE from
http://wpxx02.toxi.uni-wuerzburg.de/~kr ... y/faq.html#Q14

CoS followers have a dumbed-down sense of history. Germans=Nazis. Spanish = Spanish Inquisition. They can't even think of an insult for the Greeks, or the Norwegians. Bringing up human rights violations from the Peloponnesian War or Viking raids would just make CoS look silly. CoS magazines LIKE the battle with Germany just because they can twist it into Nazis versus little Scientology lambs. Their Scientology readers, if they swallow the story, will never see the parallel between Scientology and Nazism itself.
QUOTE:
While such historical forgeries exhibit a similar pattern to Arendt’s concepts of totalitarianism, there exists further evidence regarding Scientology’s totalitarian tendencies. Arendt writes that all totalitarian movements construct history with the object of "revealing official history as a joke, to demonstrate a sphere of secret influences of which the visible, traceable, and known historical reality was only the outward façade erected to fool the people."27 Scientology also exhibits this impulse. The group does this by accusing its critics of conspiring to discredit Scientology. For Scientologists, the secret sphere of influence that masquerades as official (known) history is formed by those people who speak out against the movement. Scientology wants to reveal its critics' version of history as a scam that inhibits one from being free, which the movement claims to be its goal. Members view the idea that Hubbard’s life-story is composed of falsehoods as a plot designed to persecute their freedom of religion. When these historical forgeries are revealed, members point to a secret group of people intent on keeping "Mankind from achieving total freedom and happiness."

The danger of such forgeries is the possibility that "gigantic lies can eventually be established as unquestioned facts, that man may be free to change his own past at will, and that the difference between truth and fiction may cease to be objective." It is indeed frightening to realize the degree to which history is used
as an ideological tool for totalitarianism. Nonetheless, it has happened before, as Arendt proves by examining Nazism and Stalinism. The end result is a consistent fabrication of reality, without which totalitarianism cannot exist. Hubbard has been partially successful, at least with his followers, in getting them to accept the
outrageous historical lies which abound in Scientology. For some Scientologists, it is possible that these histories function as interpretive fables for everyday life. For others, the monumental falsehoods have become
unquestioned truths, for to question them is certainly an obstruction to the totalitarian mentality.END QUOTE from
http://www.xenu.net/archive/thesis/thesis3.html

apollo13

Post by apollo13 » Sat Jan 12, 2002 3:00 am

As far as that is concerned I have enough of my mothers memories.

My mothers family (maiden) name is
Jacobi
(house of Jacob)

Return to “Good Quotes”