New initiative?

Share your experiences and comments about Scientology's "Study Technology".
chap

New initiative?

Post by chap » Mon Oct 04, 2004 6:31 pm

I am a high school English teacher, and a few of us just got strange packages in the mail. Each package contains materials for us to review. The materials include four Hubbard books, a video, a lesson plan guide for teaching Battlefield Earth, and some info about a writing contest. It is unclear to me whether this is coming from the cult or just a publisher trying to drum up business

touchstone

Post by touchstone » Mon Oct 04, 2004 6:44 pm

Others here can answer this better than I, I expect, but it sounds very much like the cult is the origins. Check the return address and see if its one of the recognizable groups, such as Bride Publications. Only Hubbardeans would consider Battlefield Earth worth reading, much less studying.

Discuss this with whoever else received such materials-- this could easily be merely a first salvo in what might be a string of efforts to infiltrate. Cults of all kinds benefit from folks *not* talking to each other, sharing information.

Maybe some of the materials could be used as negative examples in a critical-thinking course? "Okay, kids, see how many logical fallicies you can identify on page eleven..." Our children desperately need the tools to make themselves less vulnerable to the world's many snake-oil salesmen.

olska

Post by olska » Mon Oct 04, 2004 7:12 pm

All L.Ron Hubbard books and materials are published by the Church of Scientology, through one of its front groups -- possible Bridge Publications, or Author Services International.

One of their groups sponsors a writing contest.

The material you received came from the cult, directly or indirectly.

chap

Post by chap » Mon Oct 04, 2004 7:14 pm

Return address is confusing. The box lists Service Mailers Inc. as the sender, but the Business reply mail envelope contained therein is addressed to Galaxy Press. The contact person is listed as a Steve Anderson, and he calls himself a Sales Rep. He also lists a website--

www.writersofthefuture.com

Out of all of it there is one gem of a book--Master Storyteller:The illustrated tour of the fiction of L.Ron Hubbard. It has tons of prints of old detective, western and scifi mags. Great pulp fiction cover art. Say what you want about scientology, but I love those old magazine covers.

(Message edited by chap on October 04, 2004)

chap

Post by chap » Mon Oct 04, 2004 7:20 pm

Olska--I see you are an "advanced member" of the forum. How can I be an advanced member? Does it involve being "cleared"? Ha!

olska

Post by olska » Mon Oct 04, 2004 7:27 pm

Chap,
No, it means you are a compulsive poster who finds it difficult to keep your mouth shut and your opinions to yourself, thus racking up some 800+ entries on the board. 8)

And if you think I'm bad, check out some of the other people here, with posts at 2,000 and up!:lol:

Welcome!

free_for_real

Post by free_for_real » Mon Oct 04, 2004 9:33 pm

Concerned teacher, what you received is information from one of the many scientology front groups.

The goal is to make L. R. Hubbard look good in the public eye so that then the admiring public will look at his other works, mainly scientology.

Everything attached to L. R. Hubbard in any way is a means to get people into Scientology. It is that simple.

They have no other purpose than to get people into Scientology.

Then the brainwashing and mind control begins.

My suggestion is to read what is going on by reading the stories of people here and on the main web page and then decide for yourself if you want to do anything to help these people.

sea_ogre

Post by sea_ogre » Tue Oct 05, 2004 2:12 am

Dear Chap,
My 15+ years in scientology and some on staff has taught me that the Church of Scientology only wants three things; money, power and control.

meade_emory

Post by meade_emory » Tue Oct 05, 2004 3:43 am

Galaxy Press is the science fiction publishing arm of the church, located in the Author Services Inc building.

Writers of the Future is an annual contest put on by ASI.

Likely this was funded by hitting up public for money to buy the books and stuff.

This is probably just a way to get rid of overstocks.

chap

Post by chap » Tue Oct 05, 2004 3:00 pm

What a helpful bunch you are. I had previously emailed Andreas, but I suppose he is quite busy. It was great to get such a quick response. And yes in browsing this site my eyes are opened a bit. If my previous comments seemed flippant, I apologize. But you have to realize that I sought out this site not because of experience with these guys. I had no idea this biz was as huge as it is. But for a newbie like myself, it just all seems so ridiculous. Question--ok so do the top brass believe? Or are they hucksters? Do they have a separate recruitment of con men to run the shell game or what? And again--sorry for the ignorant questions.

chap

Post by chap » Tue Oct 05, 2004 3:21 pm

Oh and another question. I am curious if any of you ever saw the GREAT satirical parody of Scientology put together by the Upright Citizens Brigade long-form improv troupe? Brilliant. In the sketch, the "religion" is called psychotronics, and they mention Jon Cruz and Tommi Travolda as seeking out psychotronics to cure their homosexuality. Spot on satire.

free_for_real

Post by free_for_real » Tue Oct 05, 2004 5:22 pm

Concerned teacher, I believe that the people at the top are just as brainwashed and dilusional as L. Ron Hubbard was himself.

They probably do believe what they say.

They are harming many people under the pretense that they are helping people and even under the pretense that they are "the only people who can handle this planet".

chap

Post by chap » Tue Oct 05, 2004 5:48 pm

Interesting--because I was under the impression that Hubbard was not brainwashed or delusional at all--that he was a shameless snake oil huckster. I am confused. Hubbard actually bought this crap? So are you saying that the whole organization believes? Wow. Ignorance and gullibility on that level is frightening.

meade_emory

Post by meade_emory » Tue Oct 05, 2004 10:58 pm

What did Hubbard believe? Wow, that one could be debated until he returns to take over his throne.

Essentially though he tapped into man's innate desire to help and be significant. To salvage a planet, be part of the upper 1/10th of 1% of intelligent beings on this planet. You get stroked like that and you too may find yourself signing a billion year contract to salvage this sector of the universe.

free_for_real

Post by free_for_real » Wed Oct 06, 2004 2:51 am

concerned teacher, there are as many different opinions of L. Ron Hubbard as there are people probably.

Read some of the books recommended on this web site and more of the posts and see what you think about him.

Return to “Study Technology”