One opened, more to come!
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:05 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Delphi Academy *Summer CAMP*
PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 3:09 pm 

Another Delphi Academy Press Rlease.......
?i-Newswire.com - Press Release And News Distribution - The Delphian
School Opens 29th Annual Summer Camp
http://i-newswire.com/pr39154. html Changed:11:09 PM on Friday, July 29,
?
The Delphian School Opens 29th Annual Summer CampStudents from around the world participate in.
The Delphian School's summer program, which combines personalized academic programs with fun and challenging activities.

(I-Newswire) - The Delphian School has opened the doors to its 29th
annual summer camp and academic session, welcoming nearly 300 students from around the world. Students come from all over the United States, neighboring countries Canada and Mexico and as far away as Germany, Sweden, Saudi Arabia, Japan, Taiwan and Thailand.
Students range in age from eight to eighteen, and come to learn the study methods developed
by L. Ron Hubbard (
http://www.delphian.org/ourphi losophy-appliedscholastics.htm l ), advance their academic or English studies, and just to have a good
time.
.......more

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 11:36 pm 

Delphi's Summer School is how I was first introduced to Scn way back in 1979.

I followed the links to Delphi's website and from there to the Alumni site. As I registered, I noticed a note about how the forums were open only to Delphi Alums in Good Standing. I'm not certain what they mean by that...

Last edited by mhawthorne64 on Thu Oct 13, 2005 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 3:57 pm 

Hi mhawthorne,

Are you a new poster or an old poster with a different nic?

Anyhoo.....WELCOME.

"Good Standing" in Scientology usually means something like you are a Scientologist, you aren't a PTS....potential trouble source (not connected to an S.P. suppressive person), paying your "dues", or aren't doing something that would reflex badly on the "religion" and/or aren't rockig the SCN boat or bridge as the case may be.

So you just attended summer camp...not the school or took COS courses? How/why did you attend the camp? What percentage of attendees were not connected to Scientology....like parents? Were SCN courses taught at the camp? If so, what ones?

Mike DeWolf, who posts here, went to the Delphi School....

JW

Tigger

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 4:18 pm 

I'm a new poster.

I started with summer school (they didn't call it "camp" when I was there, that I recall.) I was a huge troublemaker back home, as were most of the kids at Delphi back then. My options were jail or let Dad ship me off to boarding school or military academy. I was still struggling with my homosexuality, so I thought co-ed boarding school would be better than military. Little did I expect that I would be cheating on my girlfriend with another guy... but that's another story.

I did ultimately graduate, class of 82, diploma #6. At the time, it was the only Delphi around, now it's either Delphi Sheridan or Delphi Oregon.

Most of the kids I knew, as I said, had problems back home. A large number of them weren't Scientologists, which caused a lot of problems. If I applied to the school today, I don't think I'd be accepted, but Delphi couldn't be really selective back then.

Beyond the study tech courses, they didn't really teach Scn courses. There was a logic course in the upper levels (High School was Level 1-4, Lower and Middle School had Forms) and maybe something dealing with the Tone Scale and TRs 0-4. It's been so long I don't recall the specifics.

Back then, and I think my class was the last one that got this little perk, our Graduation party was a Delphi-sponsored kegger (with parental permissions) at the Headmaster's house in Sheridan! Things have changed a bit, I believe. :lol:

But regardless of my issues with Scientology in general, I fully believe and will tell anyone that Delphi saved my life. I definitely wouldn't have graduated high school but for Delphi and, indeed, might not even be alive if my folks hadn't found it.

I don't recall Mike DeWolf, but I did know Amber and Nicole DeWolf (maybe Mike's sisters?) and their cousin Darla Kimberlin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 10:28 pm 

Hi,

Yeah, some kids need the extra structure and discipline of special schools, camps, etc. Glad it worked out for you. Back when Hubbard was in charge of the tech, I don't think there was as much control and push to "make a Scientologist" as there seems to be since Miscavige has taken command.

Mike De Wolf is a nic. I don't know his real name. He's had several posted conversations with Delphi School attendees. I think he's probably about your age.

You might want to look through his posts.....some name names of former classmates and teachers.

Operation Clambake Message Board :: Search
http://ocmb.xenu.net/ocmb/search.php?se ... mikedewolf

Or you might want to private message him to ask about certain people. Or Mike might show up. I don't think I've seen him in a while.

Best,

Tigger

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 11:56 pm 

I flipped through a couple of the posts from MikeDeWolf. I did recognize a few names of staff from Delphi.

I was really interested in the thread from the 2004 archive of the Student 78-80. A lot of the stuff that kid was talking about was familiar, and brought back a lot of memories... The snack bar that was open evenings, for example (It was called Hickey's, after Bill Hickey). I was down there every night for a chocolate/caramel sundae. Yum! And I'm thinking I know the girl who got the abortion, too. And I spent a lot of time in the Smoking Room on the thrid floor. It was moved to the basement after a butt wasn't fully extinguished on our way back to course.

I'd like to find out who he was, but his last post was April 2004.

I do still keep in touch with a few of the kids I went to school with, and some have chosen not to remain in contact.

As I posted before, on the whole, I have very fond memories of Delphi and nothing negative to say about the school, though I am able to separate the SCHOOL from the STAFF!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 9:29 pm 

I was an attending student at Delphi's summer camp in the summer of '05. I have to honestly say that I found it very helpful.

I was in no way pressured into scientology. In fact, when I asked my supe if I could take courses on Scientology, I was told no, because that's not what the school is focused on.

Anyway.., I consider myself a critic of scientology, and consider the church to be a fraud, but I find nothing wrong with Delphi.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 5:07 pm 

Things have changed dramatically in the 26 years between my first summer at Delphi and yours.

I don't have anything negative to say about Delphi. I had a bumpy time while I was there, but it was as much because of WHY I was there (legal and chemical issues I was involved with at home) as any other reason.

I've seen a piece written by a girl who was there about a year before I was (Sari Klein? - not sure that's her first name) that was just a huge rant against the place. Granted I wasn't there while she was, but I have a very difficult time believing all of what she wrote.

But one thing I can say for certain... Delphi learns from their mistakes. And one of their mistakes early on was in trying to freely disseminate to non-scientology public simply because they attended the school which was run by Scientologists. Very enhusiastic Scientologists! Delphi was the first of it's kind, a new experiment in saving the world.

At the same time, during the period in Delphi's history when I was accepted as a student, they pretty much accepted anyone who could afford their very steep tuition rates. I'm pretty confident that if I came to their doors the same child I was in 1979 I would not be accepted.

But I too got a LOT out of my experiences there, and I don't regret any of it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 11:45 pm 

I am currently enrolled at Delphi as a regular student.

I honestly love it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 6:49 am 

when we have children, we will be sending them to one of the delphian schools. ive known so many young people, Scientologists and not, who have been or are students any number of the Delphian schools (as well as other Applied Scholastics approved schools) and it has been an overwhelmingly positive experience for them across the board. so different from what i remember of public school! and their approach to school is so different than that of many students elsewhere and that includes plenty of non-Scientologists who have stayed that way through their time there. im very glad those schools exist.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 7:56 am 

Case study of L. Ron Hubbard's education:
The Delphi Academy in LA

Introduction
In recent months, controversy has arisen in California around Scientologists’ attempts to have the textbooks and teaching methods of their organization’s founder, L. Ron Hubbard, incorporated into the public schools. First came the disclosure that a woman who had applied for a charter school in the L.A. area was a Scientologist and intended to use Hubbard’s "study technology" in the new school. (See http://www.appliedscholastics.org/ for description of Hubbard’s theories.) Then it was learned the state School Board was about to approve education manuals written by Hubbard for purchase by public schools.

Scientologists who have entered into the ensuing debates have often said they believe Hubbard’s methods and materials should not be excluded from public schools because of their links to a religion, but should rather be evaluated solely for their effectiveness.

There is a private school in Southern California that, according to its page on the World Wide Web (http://home.earthlink.net/~delphila/psrdb.html), uses "highly individualized, innovative and successful educational methods of L. Ron Hubbard..." That school is Delphi Academy of Los Angeles.

Delphi Academy is a year-round private school of approximately 250 students from kindergarten through twelfth grade. It is located at 4490 Cornishon in La Canada, a suburb of Los Angeles, California.

While the school claims it is not affiliated with any religion, there are numerous pictures of L. Ron Hubbard, the founder of Scientology, on display there, and it freely admits to being licensed by Applied Scholastics International, and to being affiliated with the Association for Better Living and Education, both of which are Scientology organizations (see http://www.scientology.org/tmnotice.htm). According to Sandee Ferman, Delphi’s Director of Admissions, 75 - 80% of its students are children of Scientologists.

Among claims made by Delphi personnel: 97% of Delphi graduates apply to college; "Delphi students are regularly accepted at the colleges and universities of their first choice;" "The School [offers] an outstanding college preparatory program..." One of its slogans is "Excellence in Education."

This report is an attempt to answer the following questions:

Is Delphi Academy accredited?
Is anyone graduating from Delphi?
Do Delphi graduates attend college?
Is Delphi Academy accredited?
Any investigation into a school must include determining whether it is accredited by the appropriate agency. In California, that’s the Accrediting Commission for Schools, part of the Western Association of Schools and Colleges. Carla Ferri, Director of Undergraduate Admissions for the University of California, wrote, on June 18, 1997, "WASC is the only accrediting agency we accept."

Judging from explanatory literature they provide, A.C.S. is serious about their accreditations; for example, the process includes a 3-1/2 day visit to an applicant school by a visiting committee of three to eight people. In a letter of May 14, 1997, Donald G. Haught, Ed.D., Executive Director of A.C.S., said "...Delphi Academy...La Canada, California, is NOT accredited by the Accrediting Commission for Schools..." (emphasis his).

Delphi has made some erroneous claims about its accreditation. On its web page (address above), as of Sept. 9, 1997, the following were listed as accrediting agencies: "State of California, Applied Scholastics International, CIF (Californica [sic] Interscholastic Federation)". As of Sept. 23, 1997, that item had been shortened to "Applied Scholastics International." Why the change?

The change was made because that statement was a serious misrepresentation of the facts, and the California Department of Education, once informed, made its displeasure known.

Delphi is not and never has been accredited by the State of California. In fact, by making such a claim, the school was violating state law. According to a letter written on Sept. 11, 1997 by Carolyn Pirillo, Deputy General Counsel to Delaine Eastin, State Superintendent of Public Instruction, "the State of California does not approve, accredit, evaluate or monitor private elementary and secondary schools. The statute...states that it is unlawful to represent any endorsement, accreditation, recognition or evaluation unless this is an actual fact. Delphi Academy is not authorized to make any claims pertaining to accreditation by the State of California... (Education Code section 33190...)" A copy of that letter was sent to Delphi; subsequently, the web page was changed.

Delphi is not and never has been accredited by the California Interscholastic Federation. In an e-mail dated Sept. 8, 1997, Barbara Fiege, Commissioner of the L.A. City Section of C.I.F., says, "The CIF is not an accrediting agency, but rather a federation of member schools. The CIF establishes the policies and procedures for high school athletics in the state of California..."

Delphi is probably accredited by Applied Scholastics International, which, as noted above, is a Scientology organization. Presumably, accreditation of a school devoted to Hubbard’s teaching methods by an organization that exists to promote those methods is not an accomplishment of great merit.

Is Delphi Academy accredited? Yes, but only by a Scientology organization. And, until it got caught, it was misrepresenting not only its accreditation by specific agencies, but also the very business of one of those agencies.

Is anyone graduating from Delphi?
All private schools in California are required to file an affidavit annually with the California Department of Education. Examination of Delphi’s affidavits for 1992 through 1996 reveals, among other things, that, in the 5 years preceeding the Fall of 1996, from an average total enrollment of 246, the school graduated a grand total of eight students.

Is anyone graduating from Delphi? During the 5 years preceeding Fall, 1996, the school has graduated an average of only 1.6 students per year.

Do Delphi graduates attend College?
Among promotional and explanatory information provided by Delphi is a pale green-covered brochure titled "Delphi," with the school’s address in La Canada on the cover. The penultimate page is titled, "Partial List of Colleges and Universities that have Accepted Delphi Graduates;" 35 institutions are listed, most of them well-known. Given how few Delphi graduates there seem to be, that is a remarkable claim.

Those 35 colleges and universities were contacted in an attempt to verify Delphi’s information. 21 replied in writing and 6 others were contacted by phone or in person. Of the total of 27 institutions from which information was received, 8 were unwilling or unable to provide information. Replies from the remaining 19 institutions are tabulated below:

Schools not having received Delphi applications (recent years, at least): 13
Schools unwilling to accept Delphi applications: 3
Schools acknowledging having received Delphi applications: 3
Schools having accepted a Delphi graduate (included in number above): 2
Of the 6 campuses of the University of California that appeared on Delphi’s list, 4 provided information. Shannon Tanguay, Assistant to the Director of Admissions at U.C. Santa Barbara, wrote, "UC Santa Barbara does not accept students applying from Delphi Academy in La Canada because Delphi is not an accredited institution. It is the policy of the University of California not to accept students from unaccredited institutions." Personnel at the admissions office of U.C.L.A. said the same thing in a personal interview. In an interview with Marcy Reed of the Office of Admissions at U.C. Irvine, she said that school cannot accept applications from Delphi students because Delphi has not filed a course list with the University of California, as required by university policy. The fourth U.C. campus that provided information, Riverside, said "...we did not receive any applications from students attending this school in 1996 and 1997."

Here are a few more quotations from written responses to inquiries:

Jennifer Rowe Havlicek, Admissions Counselor for M.I.T., wrote, on May 20, 1997, "Our records show that there have been no students from Delphi Academy who have applied to Massachusetts Institute of Technology..."

On April 25, 1997, Vivian Barry, Assistant Dean for Administration at Stanford, wrote, "To my knowledge we have never had an applicant to Stanford University from the Delphi Academy..."

Alex Segura, Senior Assistant Director of Admission for the University of Miami, wrote, on June 4, 1997, "Obviously Delphi Academy exists because we did find it in a national book of high schools...but we show no record of ever having heard from anyone at the school."
All of the above schools, of course, are on Delphi’s list and therefore, according to Delphi, have not only received applications from its students, but have accepted at least one for admission.

In the 1996 / 97 edition of the Pacific Bell Yellow Pages for Glendale and Burbank, on page 756, is an ad for Delphi Academy which contains the words "College Preparatory." Given the information provided by numerous colleges, that is a severe stretch of the truth.

Do Delphi graduates attend college? Apparently, very few do; only two could be documented.

Conclusion
I began this investigation because my youngest daughter enrolled at Delphi early in 1997, and a visit I paid the school in March, which included a tour of the annual science fair, left me deeply suspicious of the efficacy of the teaching methods of L. Ron Hubbard as practiced at Delphi Academy.

In every area I’ve investigated, be it science education, school accreditation, graduation of students, or facilitation of graduates’ further educations, Delphi Academy, L.A., is a failure. That failure is perhaps best exemplified by the unwillingness of several of its home state’s major universities even to consider its graduates for admission.

Equally alarming is the obvious conclusion that Delphi is misrepresenting its credentials and its achievements. Claiming graduates’ admissions to colleges that have never heard of it is deception. Claiming to be a "college prep" school is misrepresentation. Claiming accreditation by the state is a violation of the law. Claiming to be accredited by an organization whose purpose is promoting high school athletics is fraud.

As an institution with a history of devotion to the teaching theories of L. Ron Hubbard, Delphi is a good place in which to study their effectiveness. Delphi’s failures implicate Hubbard’s methods. For public schools to risk pupils’ futures by experimenting with his theories and his texts would be unconscionable, especially given the apparent willingness of Hubbard’s supporters to manipulate facts and to falsify achievements.

Unfortunately, some important questions remain unanswered, for example: What happens to Delphi students? Where do they go? In attempting to answer these and other questions, I will continue my research. For that reason, this must be considered a preliminary report.

Steve Keller

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 8:22 pm 

Great report. Thanks, Steve Keller and Ladybird.

One gratifying thing about researching CoS claims is that you are SOOO likely to find flat-out lies.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 12:57 am 

Well, that report was pretty damned depressing.

Here's my take... Delphi wasn't easy. Delphi Sheridan didn't have a lot of grads when I was there, either. I guess I always thought that to be the nature of a boarding school... and a very controversial one at that. Kids came and went. The school was tough, strict, and expensive. I was actually EXPELLED at one point, but I managed to redeem myself.

As far as who graduates and what happens to them... Well, personally, I flunked out of Texas Tech after 2 1/2 years (I liked beer!). My sister bailed on UT and wound up in the Army. She's a CPA now. My brother also wound up in the army and now does tech work for a CA Law Firm. I know one guy who is a Civil Engineer with the CA Dept of Transportation, one girl who has a band in So. California, another guy who does free-lance photography in DC, his brother is a professor at an Atlanta-area college, an old roomie of mine is a cabinet-maker in Boise. The founder of Earthlink is a Delphi grad, and (take this with a grain of salt) the Delphi website is touting a kid who was 2 years old when I was there who just got a free ride at Harvard Business School.

Further, if you are a hard-core Scientologist, you'll wind up in some staff position somewhere anyway and college isn't that important. Many of the kids from my era took that path. Remember, primary and secondary education are mandated by law. College is optional.

Now, I'm obviously not a scientologist myself (I tried it and flunked out of that too), but I love and care for Delphi Sheridan and the men and women there who helped me get through it. And those of you who have been there may or may not share my opinions, but those of you who HAVEN'T been there don't know what's really going on.

All high schools have drop-outs. And not all high school grads have a dream of college and/or beyond. Now if you want to take the TOTAL number of High School kids who attend Delphis and graduate as a percentage and weigh that against the TOTAL percentage of kids graduating from public and traditional religious schools, then I believe you would have a more valid argument. But saying that a relatively new shool that has a small number of students is bad for having a low rate of graduation is a little sketchy... IMHO.

Now I'm not speaking to the specifics of how Delphi LA presents itself to the public, which admittedly is what that report is about. But just as all scientologists aren't going to be ranting hard-core crazies, so too is the potential for Delphis to be reflective of the staff that runs them.

Delphi LA is a school (a day school, I believe), but Delphi Sheridan is your home.

Sorry for the rant. I'm not defending the CoS, just Delphi (Sheridan). And I'm a little biased. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 7:31 am 

Honestly, I cannot say anything constructive about Delphi Sheridan other than it has a great view since it is up on a hill. The locals refer to it as the cult on the hill. They know well who it belongs to. Many people in the area wish it would leave. I drove by it the other day and it looks the same as it did years ago. That might make some of you alumni feel good :lol:

Lisa marie Presley and Nicholas Cage were in the process of buying a house nearby to Sheridan when they split up. I assume Lisa Marie was going to put her kids in the school.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 8:51 am 

outsider wrote:
Honestly, I cannot say anything constructive about Delphi Sheridan other than it has a great view since it is up on a hill.

For real?? You're gonna condemn the school because the locals don't like it and it's ugly from the street??

DUDE!! (We've already established that I'm from California) The building used to be a Jesuit Monastery! It's SUPPOSED to be ugly!! And if you've only seen it from the street, you were either on Rock Creek Road (about 3 miles away) or on the highway (about 5 miles away). They would never alter the facade of the building, which is all you can see from either of those locations, but they've got hundreds of acres up there, most that you can't see from the street. They've been adding structures and improving that property since at least the mid 80's when they built the gymnasium and tennis courts.

If you're driving around in that area. I'll assume you're a local. So you know there is (was?) even a Mission in Sheridan. And the man who owned Delphi (Martin Samuels) lived in a huge mansion back off the highway called River Bend.

First you had Jesuits, then Scientologists. Sure some of the locals don't like it... but some of the locals are also scientologists, so obviously not ALL of...
outsider wrote:
the locals refer to it as the cult on the hill.

When I was there they told us that the Sheridanites thought we had nuclear missiles aimed at them. :!: :?:

What are ya gonna do? For the most part, the locals hated Delphi because of what they thought about us, feared about us - not anything we ever actually did... at least prior to 1981.