Laguna Beach mission property for sale

I'mglib

Laguna Beach mission property for sale

Post by I'mglib » Tue Aug 01, 2006 7:13 pm

It's not at all surprising, but it looks like the Laguna Beach, CA, mission is closed. It was only open for less than a year. I just drove by and the place is empty, and there's a For Sale sign on it.

It's not going to be easy to sell, either. It's right on a busy section of Pacific Coast Highway. It's sort of a cream color, but looks all sooty from exhaust. The noise has to be really bad, too. There's a living section upstairs that would have to be unbearably loud, and a commercial section downstairs, with very little parking and no foot traffic. My prediction is it's going to sit there for a while.

Roan

Re: Laguna Beach mission property for sale

Post by Roan » Tue Aug 01, 2006 9:11 pm

I'mglib wrote:...it looks like the Laguna Beach, CA, mission is closed. It was only open for less than a year. I just drove by and the place is empty, and there's a For Sale sign on it.
:dancing7up: \:D/ :cheerleader: \:D/ :dancing7up:
“The failure to condemn an activity is indeed, an offer of tacit approval.
All it takes for evil to flourish is for good men to do nothing.” — Edmund Burke

brownjedi

Post by brownjedi » Tue Aug 01, 2006 9:12 pm

It should be an easy sell since they are using lafayette's tech. Closed after only a year, sounds like KSW is well in effect.

TheDarksideOfScientology

Post by TheDarksideOfScientology » Tue Aug 01, 2006 9:38 pm

I'mglib wrote:It's not at all surprising, but it looks like the Laguna Beach, CA, mission is closed. It was only open for less than a year. I just drove by and the place is empty, and there's a For Sale sign on it.

It's not going to be easy to sell, either. It's right on a busy section of Pacific Coast Highway. It's sort of a cream color, but looks all sooty from exhaust. The noise has to be really bad, too. There's a living section upstairs that would have to be unbearably loud, and a commercial section downstairs, with very little parking and no foot traffic. My prediction is it's going to sit there for a while.

If you want to live in a pretty much Scientology free zone in Southern California, Orange County is the place to be. There are 1400 Scientologists in OC according to the "church". So you know there's about 200 at the most in reality. There was also a mission in Orange that closed only after a few months, I believe. The Org in Tustin is tiny. The oarking lot is NEVER more than 1/4 full (15-20 vehicles). Those are probably all staff. Scientology is generally looked down upon in Orange County. They are buying that building in Santa Ana, which is hard to believe. $70-80 million on a building for around 200 parishioners and staff, that was probably a huge mistake.

no_8c_now

Post by no_8c_now » Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:32 pm

There was a small mission in Newport Beach on PCH, second floor of some small building. Do you know if it is still open? Never saw much, if any activity there.

Roan

Post by Roan » Wed Aug 02, 2006 8:27 am

TheDarksideOfScientology wrote:If you want to live in a pretty much Scientology free zone in Southern California, Orange County is the place to be. There are 1400 Scientologists in OC according to the "church". So you know there's about 200 at the most in reality. There was also a mission in Orange that closed only after a few months, I believe. The Org in Tustin is tiny. The oarking lot is NEVER more than 1/4 full (15-20 vehicles). Those are probably all staff. Scientology is generally looked down upon in Orange County.
:) Darkside,
while I agree with your overall sentiments, I may have to nit-pick with you a bit on your numbers. I don't live too far from the Tustin Org and when I ride by on the occasional Saturday or Sunday the lot is pretty full.

I've noticed a few Florida licence plates (people assigned from Clearwater, no doubt.)

The last time I rode my bike through their parking lot I noticed a Nissan late model 4w drive sport truck with a big logo insignia on the doors. It looked like a big county or city "patch." When I circled around to get a closer look, I saw that it was a big, opulently printed Golden Age Of Knowledge insignia.

Weird.

It was like this (but really big):

I do agree with you and am happy that Orange County is relatively Co$-free!

:D
“The failure to condemn an activity is indeed, an offer of tacit approval.
All it takes for evil to flourish is for good men to do nothing.” — Edmund Burke

TheDarksideOfScientology

Post by TheDarksideOfScientology » Thu Aug 03, 2006 4:25 am

I never passed it much on the weekends. I did get lunch in the area the other day and parked across from it and ate. I used to have a job where I'd pass it M-F every morning (7-8 am) and afternoon around (1-2pm), the lot always seemed pretty empty. When I was there a couple of weeks ago (6pm) there were about 15 or so vehicles there. I think they send people from LA Org there as well. Atleast that's what someone I know told me, that makes it appear busier than it is. I was going off of those times.

I don't think they'll have enough people for the new Org, then again, their parking won't be as public. People will have to park in the public lots most likely.

irbcsz4986

Post by irbcsz4986 » Wed Aug 23, 2006 6:55 am

there used to be a Hare-Krishna temple in Laguna. I wonder if they are still there.

I'mglib

Post by I'mglib » Wed Aug 23, 2006 7:06 am

Yup, the Hare Krishna temple is still there. They had to settle a big lawsuit with the children of former members, but the Laguna Beach location appears to have survived.

Return to “California”