SUNLAND/TUJUNGA scientology mission in trouble.

Sponge

SUNLAND/TUJUNGA scientology mission in trouble.

Post by Sponge » Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:45 am

Leak from WWP.....
Anonymous wrote:I tried to ragequit but this leak is too good, I got this email and I will post the SS in a min or so check it!

Sent: Saturday, September 12, 2009
To: ************************************
Subject: sunland tujunga mission needs new mission holder

SUNLAND TUJUNGA MISSION NEEDS A NEW MISSION HOLDER!

KNOW ANYONE WHO IS INTERESTED?

Hi,

I'm the HES over at the Sunland/Tujunga Mission and I'm personally writing to you to see if you can help us save our mission. As well as being only one of two missions who can deliver the Basics to upper level Scientologists, the Sunland/Tujunga Mission also has the unique position of being in the area that has the most Scientologists per capita in the whole world! The highest concentration of Scientologists in the world is in Los Angeles and the highest concentration in Los Angeles is in the Sunland/Tujunga area. And if we don't find a new mission holder by the 23rd, we will lose our mission.

That is why I am extending the line to anyone I know who might be connected to people who can help. We are not asking for donations and we don't want to interfere with the building of ideal orgs, we just want to find someone who really wants to take over this very important mission. If you, yourself can't take over the mission, please forward this to anyone you think might be able to help.

Thank you very much for your support. With all this momentum in Scientology, it would be a shame to see us shrink, even just a little. Please let me know if you have any ideas. You can have people call me directly at: 818-653-6768 or they can call the mission at: 818-951-3601. Thanks again.

Sincerely,
Anjuli Hubbard, HES
Sunland/Tujunga Mission

(I drove by and all the stores around the mission except the thrift store are empty)
More:
http://forums.whyweprotest.net/123-leak ... down-52910

and from ESMB:
Originally Posted by Rae
Ok gang.

First of all, it is for real. I've received various emails about this also.

They are definitely looking for a new Mission Holder. Linda Quay is the current mission holder who opened the mission. She is a Class Vl auditor and OTV. She was on her BC Interneship when she was diagnosed with cancer and has been fighting the battle every since. It's been about 1 1/2 yrs or more now. I know all the people connected to the mission. It has been struggling since the beginning..often hosting "band night" and charging $5 to get in to raise money for the rent. The staff are not trained..it's just a name. The "HES" is probably no more trained as an actual HES than someone that's done SS1 and SS11. There have been several "HES"es that I know of. The mission was delivering some Book 1 but with Linda gone, I'm not sure that is happening anymore.

When the Basics first came out, the missions were left out of being able to deliver them.(total stupidity but a DM "strategy" of "booming the orgs" so it looked like major expansion was happening) Of course, this crashed the missions even more so management finally, after about 4 months gave them "permission" to deliver. Also, because so many OTs were going to missions, especially in the LA area(there is the highest concentration of OTs in the Sunland/Tujunga/Glendale areas than anywhere else and there are three missions in the area: Sunland/Tujunga, Montrose and Brand Blvd and public would have rather gone to somewhere very close than go down to PAC) 3 or 4 years ago some "directive" came down the pike that prohibited missions from delivering to Clears and OTs as the purpose of missions is not to service existing public but to get new public in. So that further crashed the missions in the LA area..but then a couple of missions were given the ok due to the amt of Clears and OTs demanding to do so. (and to make it easier for the guys on OTVll who have to audit to get on their Basics, who live close to one of these missions(these guys have to work, audit, participate in all the crap management demands AND do their Basics)

Last I knew, the mission was only open in the evenings and one day on the weekend. It's a very small.
http://forum.exscn.net/showpost.php?p=3 ... stcount=22

J. Swift

Post by J. Swift » Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:15 am

Err, Sunland/Tujunga is bad San Fernando Valley gang territory full of squalid industrial tracts and homes that have bars on the windows. LAPD classes the area as a violent, high crime area. The area is low income and has a big illegal population. The fact that a Mission would to locate in Sunland/Tujunga suggests to me that the mission holder was perhaps doing an amends project by opening the least costly mission possible. A storefront rental in the area would be cheap. Better yet, no one would bother breaking in to steal LRH books and DVD's. Good luck on anyone taking on a mission in a bleak area. What would work, what is needed, is an ESL program and a food bank for for poor families trying to get established in America. That is what CoS would do if it wanted to make a difference in that area. CoS could offer free flu shots at the mission. That would be a way to dissem good PR to the local community. Why doesn't CoS ever do what real charities and churches do to help people? Why is CoS always a sales transaction?

/////

http://www.youtube.com/user/SurvivingScientology
http://www.survivingscientologyradio.com/
http://scientologymoneyproject.com/

probity

Post by probity » Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:31 am

Sunland/Tujunga is many a militia minded Scientologist's own private Idaho.

4truth2

Post by 4truth2 » Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:11 pm

That is what CoS would do if it wanted to make a difference in that area. CoS could offer free flu shots at the mission. That would be a way to dissem good PR to the local community. Why doesn't CoS ever do what real charities and churches do to help people? Why is CoS always a sales transaction?
Swift, I know this was probably a rhetorical question on your part, but it does go right to the heart of why Scientology was destined to fail from day one.

People who can't speak English, are destitute, in need of food and clothing or any other type of assistance would be considered Degraded Beings in the Scientology universe. I recall a thread a few months ago where the Scios near Big Blue were harrassing a woman who was feeding the homeless. In other words, anyone connected to the Sunland/Tujunga mission who would make ANY attempt to help the people of that neighborhood would be assigned a lower ethics condition and most likely have to undergo grueling sec checks for wasting their time with people who did not have money and time to devote to Scientology. They are all permanently wed to Hubbard's twisted dogma and would never be allowed to engage in TRUE help, which ironically might actually help their own dwindling stats and membership if they actually gave a damn about people's lives.
"In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act."
George Orwell

Dorothy

Post by Dorothy » Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:41 am

This post blew my mind.

The mission network was nearly destroyed once before by Miscavage, and now again?

The missions are designed for services for new people, bottom of the bridge. They are already very limited in what they can deliver. So DM re-releases the basic books, makes it the most important release ever, and doesn't allow missions to deliver these basic book courses to their existing public? And there's a huge push to get everyone onto them? So in essence, the field of every mission was ripped off and sent to orgs for service? I understand they changed this after 4 months but by then, it would have been too late. Once those mission public were sent to orgs, they would not be allowed to go back to their missions. So really DM once again crashed the missions whose purpose is to eventually funnel people to orgs- but they also have to survive in order to do that. This act would have instantly crashed their stats, income, staff pay, etc. I would love to see the overall mission stats worldwide, after DM so brilliantly cut the legs off of every mission on the planet. Wow. Just, wow. He took the future of scientology, and killed it. This guy is caving in scientology faster than anything that any force outside of scientology could ever do!

It seems like these days, every time I talk to friends of mine either out- or still in, I hear another story about some dum-ass incident of some kind of abuse that has driven away another person I know from scientology. And these are people who were in for a long time.

But this mission thing- It must have resulted in a lot mission staff having a hard time. Any scientologist worth their weight in BTs should have recognized this as a completely destructive action. I see a complete consolidation of resources occurring here- a centralized, federalized, if you will, form of scientology being created like never before. 40 years ago, orgs and missions were fully autonomous, now they are fully robotized, run directly by DM and his Sea Org lackeys. Well, I guess all this consolidation of power can be viewed as a good thing. It can only help the end of organized scientology as we know it come sooner rather than later. DM is making himself the Pope of scientology. LOL. It'll never work!
“The sad truth is that most evil is done by people who never make up their minds to be good or evil.”
― Hannah Arendt

Murray Luther

Post by Murray Luther » Sun Sep 20, 2009 6:21 am

According to the email, the Mission claims that its technical qualification is they can delver the Basics. That's it?

In other words they can tell their students to read books and listen to tapes. Not exactly cutting edge Scn Tech. Honestly, if I were a Scio I'd let it go down the tubes. What happened to making auditors and OTs?

Wieber

Post by Wieber » Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:03 pm

When scientology makes their first contact with someone they get them in by finding out the thing that is ruining that person's life and then telling them that scientology can handle that.

Great.

Once a person goes into scientology they often reach a point where they think scientology is IT! This happens with many people who go into scientology.

At that point putting any attention on getting what is ruining their life handled is looked on a being "altered importance" and "out ethics." The person may be shown the material on "hidden standards" to drive home the point.

This little piece of slight of hand comes straight from L. Ron Hubbard. David Miscavige is just more heavy handed with it than was Hubbard.

This little piece of slight of hand is the reason scientology is failing. Do you think anything anyone does or says critical of scientology would have any effect on that organization if it actually delivered what it promised?
“Think wrongly if you please, but in all cases think for yourself.”
Doris Lessing

Sponge

Re: SUNLAND/TUJUNGA scientology mission in trouble.

Post by Sponge » Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:24 am

Posted by anonymous on wwp:
ref: http://forums.whyweprotest.net/291-scie ... ost1388432

So, in early December of 2010, a friend of mine that lives in the Sunland area said there was an article in the local paper about a Scientology church opening up in the Sunland Tujunga area. As they lost their space earlier in September 2009...this intrigued me. She emailed me a copy and sure enough...they opened up shop again.

Here is the actual paper.
http://www.voiceofthevillage.org/issues ... 012010.pdf
(The by-line "The Good News Newspaper" rings bells for me. But I think it might just be a coincidence?)

There is an ad for the LA Delphi School on page 7.
Scilon editorial on page 17
Delphi Academy preschool opening page 19
The opening of the mission is on page 30

As a recap, here is what their old place looks like now:

They have now relocated to 8229 Foothill Blvd (the old location being 8828 Foothill)
They moved a few blocks east. They are now viewable by cars driving by on Foothill (which was not the case for their old address) but they basically have no signage yet. You can see a sign in the background of the newspaper clipping, but it looks to be a banner as there is no sign up.
So...opened in November 2010...but still no sign. They have a slot in the little sign where all tenants have a slot...but one cannot see from that where the mission is.

The following are a few shots on a weekday in the late afternoon. I saw no one there. I saw several people walk up to the door thinking it was another entrance for the nearby Panda Express and then correct themselves. I saw no one going to the scientology mission on purpose.

They don't open until 6:45pm???

Their neighbors on the other side.

The area behind them

Just started to get dark. The only light on is the automatic entry light

So welcoming

more pics/info/discussion here....
http://forums.whyweprotest.net/291-scie ... ost1388434

I'mglib

Post by I'mglib » Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:42 am

Those are great photos. Doesn't look like much activity there.

My guess is DM doesn't want to see a single mission or org close, because it messes up his "we increased our square footage blah blah blah" statistic. So these store front places stay "open" even though there's no business.

Here in SoCal there were missions in Costa Mesa and Newport Beach when I first joined OCMB in 2005. I wasn't paying attention when they disappeared, but they're gone. One opened up briefly in Laguna Beach, but it never seemed to have anyone there, no sign or anything, and then it just disappeared.

The Tustin Org is still there, but the idle org building they bought in Santa Ana in around 2008 is still idle, and the property values in that area went in the toilet (and a lot of businesses closed). They seem to have opened a place in Foothill Ranch in a business park, but it looks like the place above: little activity, in the middle of nowhere.
"A man may build himself a throne of bayonets, but he cannot sit on it." -William Ralph Inge

Watch the Los Angeles press conference here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/ScilonTV#p/

brownjedi

Post by brownjedi » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:05 pm

The pics look a lot like the place the cult abandoned in north phoenix a few years ago. Was never open. It was also not as nicely decorated!

brownjedi

Post by brownjedi » Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:37 pm

On google this morning, when googling sceintology, the minimission they had in north phoenix was still listed, but here is a review/comment on this listing...
Mission's closed The mission on Northren has been closed for some time now. Go get your LRH brainwashing tech elsewhere. Pools closed, due to Thetans.

RedPill

Post by RedPill » Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:17 pm

I'mglib wrote:Those are great photos. Doesn't look like much activity there.

My guess is DM doesn't want to see a single mission or org close, because it messes up his "we increased our square footage blah blah blah" statistic. So these store front places stay "open" even though there's no business.

Here in SoCal there were missions in Costa Mesa and Newport Beach when I first joined OCMB in 2005. I wasn't paying attention when they disappeared, but they're gone. One opened up briefly in Laguna Beach, but it never seemed to have anyone there, no sign or anything, and then it just disappeared.

The Tustin Org is still there, but the idle org building they bought in Santa Ana in around 2008 is still idle, and the property values in that area went in the toilet (and a lot of businesses closed). They seem to have opened a place in Foothill Ranch in a business park, but it looks like the place above: little activity, in the middle of nowhere.

Ever since the late 70's, the deal with missions changed. It used to be Mission Office World Wide that ran the missions, the missions were individual franchises very often run by old timers who were not hung up on spending lots of money for appearance and were interested in a full courseroom, staff that was adequately paid, etc. But Scientology Missions International started taking over, and in order to become an SMI mission a prospective mission holder had to put up some big money, purchase some huge amount of books, emeters, etc. and agree to allow Cof$ to barge in and take over any time they want with no recourse, including having the real estate you put up money for stolen out from under you. From what I have read, the mission game is not about getting new people in, it is about fleecing existing advanced true believer Scientologists out of the start up costs.

Pete

J. Swift

Post by J. Swift » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:49 pm

When one's New Civilization gets billing below Panda Express, one must stop and ask if one's New Civilization is actually credible:

/////

http://www.youtube.com/user/SurvivingScientology
http://www.survivingscientologyradio.com/
http://scientologymoneyproject.com/

spacecootie

Post by spacecootie » Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:37 am

J. Swift wrote:When one's New Civilization gets billing below Panda Express, one must stop and ask if one's New Civilization is actually credible:

Kung Pao Chicken or Body Thetans? Hmmm.... they both burn coming out.

Dorothy

Post by Dorothy » Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:41 am

Nuff about new buildings. Linda Quay, OT V, sadly, did not survive her cancer. (She was the original mission holder mentioned in the OP).
In Memory of Linda Quay

Linda Quay chose to take on the responsibilities and adventures of a new body when she peacefully departed this one on the 7th of January 2010. Her husband - Harold, their daughters – Megan and Jennifer and Linda’s mother - Leona, were with her and understood her decision.

Sounds like it was a euthanasia situation?
“The sad truth is that most evil is done by people who never make up their minds to be good or evil.”
― Hannah Arendt

Return to “California”