Marin County Scientology (aka "Mission of Marin")

skeptic2girl

Marin County Scientology (aka "Mission of Marin")

Post by skeptic2girl » Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:07 am

I did some detective work today in order to locate the Marin whereabouts of the Church of Scientology, and I wanted to submit an update...
When I searched on Google, there were two addresses given, one for 4th St. and another for Simms Rd, both in San Rafael.

Finding out there was an org on 4th St. was both good news and bad news, though mostly bad news. 4th St. is a main drag in San Rafael and would therefore get lots of foot traffic.
Anyone who lives in San Rafael knows where 4th St. is. I had never heard of Simms Rd.

Good for protests, but also good for Scientology.
I was happy to find out that they were on the "wrong" side of 4th St, though, where the pedestrian traffic disappears, and it becomes difficult to find parking.

Still, the (retail) location - in terms of visibility - was not bad.

But it turns out the 4th St., San Rafael, location is out of commission! Another tenant told me that the Co$ moved out 6 months ago -- but based on the age of the Dianetics sign, it looked to be longer ago than that.

They must have needed a cheaper location, because they were in fact at 1 Simms Rd, an out-of-the-way street on the industrial side of San Rafael where no one goes unless they work there. It takes effort to find.

Strangely, there is no sign on the front of the building indicating that Scientology lives there. Again, though, since there are no passersby, there is no one to see a sign anyway.

Even stranger, when you enter the building, which includes various business "suites," there is no sign at all, at least in the teeny, unmanned "lobby." I happened to run into a guy from an office downstairs from the org that directed me upstairs.

Strangest: There were 2 unmarked doors: no suite number (there was one other door that was for a different suite). The only indication that Scientology had an org there was a sign on the floor, leaning on the side of the wall, that indicated any packages sent to the Church of Scientology at 1 Simms Way Suite 250, San Rafael should be left in that hallway. The sign specifically said that no one was there during the day!

The guy I talked to asked if I had any luck, and I said no -- it was 4 o'clock at that point. He said that the Scientologist people come in around 5pm. It was all really odd.

I took some pictures, which I will try to post soon.

I was heartened to see that the "church" had had to downgrade and was now in an unmarked, random location that brought the word "cult" to mind.

I feel this is especially significant in Marin County, which is very liberal and tolerant of alternative religions: Scientology should be doing well there.

All of this information is true as of January 3rd, 2011.

Smurf

Re: Marin County Scientology (aka "Mission of Marin")

Post by Smurf » Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:21 am

The COS of Marin County is on Simms Street, an industrial building whose backside faces Highway 580. The president is Micheal R. Johnson, an investment counselor by day. http://www.johnsondugan.com/about/principals.htm. His wife, Laura, staffs the office most evenings.

This office is one of many which is intended to give the impression that it is fully functional in Marin County when, in actuality, the Scilons there drive south to the SF org for services. You are correct that Marin County is a hotbed for alternative religions, mostly of the New Age/Wicca type, where the environment and everything organic plays a central role.

skeptic2girl

Post by skeptic2girl » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:41 am

Here are the photos of the old and new Scientology locations.

First, the old sign which is not completely erased. This is for the 4th St., San Rafael location. Note: the top line reads, "DIANETICS" and underneath reads, "Scientology". It's the first time in my life I've been happy to see graffiti!

Go to http://www.googlemaps.com and type in 19 Simms Way, San Rafael, CA to see the "classy" new location (outside of building).
This new building has no sign whatsoever to indicate what's inside.

There's no proper sign inside -- a mailbox indicates which suite they are in, but the door is unmarked. It's very strange for a cult obsessed with publicity:

Here's the only sign indoors that lets you know you might be in the right place -- sorry about blurriness. If you can, notice how the sign indicates: "We are not here during the day." Ah, the thriving cult on the rise!

This information is current as of January 3rd, 2011.

I'mglib

Post by I'mglib » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:05 am

Nice job, Skeptic2girl. Looks pretty sad, like a lot of their offices. I think they try to hang on to every place, even if there is zero business, just so David Miscavige can report how many square feet of buildings they have.
"A man may build himself a throne of bayonets, but he cannot sit on it." -William Ralph Inge

Watch the Los Angeles press conference here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/ScilonTV#p/

Return to “California”