One opened, more to come!
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:55 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Are you an unwitting Botnet victim?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:29 am 

Hai,
I had always considered myself pretty savvy, cluey and the rest when it came to being infected with malicious software. After getting an email from my I.S.P telling me I was infected, I did some very deep digging.

All my anti-virus software et al had missed a variation of this

I dodged the DNSChanger, but I don't know how long I have been infected with MBROOT. From what I have read, I may well have been a participant in a botnet attack, or even worse.

My thread/post is just a reminder to people that when it comes to infections, nothing is a 100% with detection these days beyond not ever getting onto the Net itself.

My only solution that shredded this malware was Microsoft's "malicious software removal tool"...nothing else detected it nor combated it. Not even SpyBot's 'Teatimer', which I have always found to detect everything related to altered Windows Registry Keys.

Just be aware that even if you think your PC is clean, it may not be(yeah Mac users, yeah yeah, blah blah "we are on Mac and will always be safe!" RUBBISH!)

Post subject: Re: Are you an unwitting Botnet victim?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:37 am 

Just cleaned out another scummy Malware. Dunno how it got installed(i don't click links ad hoc) on my machine.

It was a task to get around it to extract it from my PC.
http://www.2-viruses.com/remove-file-recovery

It took a lot of work to start to get behind this Malware to push it out of my PC. I refuse to install SP3 on my XP, which is now a drama per it being a requirement to install stuff leik TrendMicro or even Windows Defender. In fact, Avira now demands service pack 3 to update to the most recent and update-able version for Malware/Vrirus definitions.

"File Recovery" did well to keep me out of deep settings, program lists and even Task Manager.

My link was the one I circumvented the Malware via and removed the threat.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:12 pm 

Viruses are a risk if you search for a celebrity. I have been digging for info on birth years, siblings, parents, and so forth on CoS celebrities for my Scientology Celebrity Spiderweb. This means going beyond the well-known Internet magazines and gossip sites. Some obscure fan pages have frozen or crashed my computer.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:37 pm 

Don Carlo wrote:
Viruses are a risk if you search for a celebrity. I have been digging for info on birth years, siblings, parents, and so forth on CoS celebrities for my Scientology Celebrity Spiderweb. This means going beyond the well-known Internet magazines and gossip sites. Some obscure fan pages have frozen or crashed my computer.

I am by no means an expert, but I tend to disable active java script ( I refuse to use IE) in places I think my be suss(rather rare for Opera as it isnt as popular as Mozilla and IE for exploiting vulnerabilies).

What I have seen is Acrobat Reader can fire up like you wouldnt believe on some websites(CPU usage goes bonkas). Dunno what it is about, just that my web-browser AND "Explorer" can become uncontrollable and Task Manager is called in to TERMINATE the offending 'processes'.

Of course, if you have some malicious whatever that prevents you opening Task Manager, then the problem can easily manifest further