Is the new board any good?

Any feedback you might have or help you need regarding OCMB. This is also the place to debate the board, moderating, the FAQ, etc.

Is the new OCMB any good?

Poll ended at Wed Aug 24, 2005 11:44 am

Yes, I'm now at cause over MEST!
61%
Not as good as sliced bread, but it will do.
22%
An upgrade is welcomed, but the design is awful.
No votes
I'll take the new design but the old board back, thanks.
13%
New what?
No votes
No, I feel the BT's are clustering here.
No votes
Don't understand question, must have a MU.
No votes
I have no opinion on the subject.
4%

Total votes: 23

Tigger

Post by Tigger » Fri Aug 19, 2005 1:22 pm

LOL....that's all right. I never follow a receipe exactly. I'm a pinch of this and a pinch of that and taste person. If the eggs aren't in the egg carton, I look in the egg bowl.

Tigger

ladayla

Is the new board any good?

Post by ladayla » Tue Sep 13, 2005 5:02 pm

I gotta have the 'last day' feature to make the time spent on the board worthwhile.
I liked the old board much better. I can't follow a thread on the new board, and having to type in at the top which thread you are posting to is a time waster, too.

la

Ladybird

Post by Ladybird » Tue Sep 13, 2005 5:13 pm

Ladayla, the last day feature was moved to the top right under the "sa" in the word ...Message... took me a while to find it, too!

Ball of Fluff

Post by Ball of Fluff » Tue Sep 13, 2005 6:12 pm

tigger wrote:LOL....that's all right. I never follow a receipe exactly. I'm a pinch of this and a pinch of that and taste person. If the eggs aren't in the egg carton, I look in the egg bowl.

Tigger
You, too? Yeah, I'm like that. My Mother was a classic anal Virgo by the book person. She hated it when I took any of the recipes she gave me and tweaked them. So, after a while, I stopped telling her. (She was an AMAZING cook, though, and whenever anyone complimented her, she'd say "Oh, I just followed the recipe."

Nah. If a person knows how to cook her recipes come out better than someone who's pretty new at it. Even if they're going by the book.

I like the recipe-tweaking approach to life. In fact, this approach helped me become the eeevil heretic I am today. Praise Xenu!

lermanet_com

Post by lermanet_com » Sat Sep 17, 2005 9:12 pm

were images turned off?

the images used by me were all under 25k

and the new system takles em off my webpages so there is no
bandwidth load on OCMB

A picture tells a thousand words
Do you THINK scientology works?
Then read [url=http://ocmb.xenu.net/ocmb/viewtopic.php?t=20255&start=285]THIS PAGE[/url] here on XENU.NET

Don Carlo

Post by Don Carlo » Sun Sep 18, 2005 2:59 am

I find the new board fine; it doesn't freeze and crash like the former one. I have adapted to the loss of the "last day" button by immediately logging in, then clicking on "posts since last visit." This means I can log on say every twelve hours and only have to look at the last twelve hours of posts.So I am more efficient!

A minor point: When I click on "reply" I am faced with a box for "subject" and a box for "subject description." I just ignore them, and fill in the text box without trying to change the subject. Can these extra boxes go away?

Being an old fuddy-duddy I don't use the message icons and the emoticons, and I don't know how to erase them from my screen. With the extra room I'd like to enlarge the text box and magnify the text size.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sun Sep 18, 2005 9:03 am

Don Carlo wrote:I find the new board fine; it doesn't freeze and crash like the former one. I have adapted to the loss of the "last day" button by immediately logging in, then clicking on "posts since last visit." This means I can log on say every twelve hours and only have to look at the last twelve hours of posts.So I am more efficient!
But we did make a "Last Day" button! I thought this new one has more and not less features than the old one.
Don Carlo wrote:A minor point: When I click on "reply" I am faced with a box for "subject" and a box for "subject description." I just ignore them, and fill in the text box without trying to change the subject. Can these extra boxes go away?
Thought of the same, not found a way to remove them without making major changes to the system. Just ignore them when you reply.
Don Carlo wrote:Being an old fuddy-duddy I don't use the message icons and the emoticons, and I don't know how to erase them from my screen. With the extra room I'd like to enlarge the text box and magnify the text size.
Same as for # 2.
Andreas @ www.xenu.net
[b]- Life is not a test.[/b]

chad

Post by chad » Sun Sep 18, 2005 11:11 pm

I was glad to see the return of the 'last day' button, but didn't the last version also have a 'last week' button ?

I mention this only because I know there are at least a few readers who typically visit only once a week and find it a handy way to catch up, that's all.

Don Carlo

Post by Don Carlo » Mon Sep 19, 2005 4:58 am

Now I see the last day button, but I actually now prefer to log in and see "posts since last visit" since usually it's more or less than 24 hours since my last visit. I have to remember to log in every time, though, or else the website doesn't recognize that I have seen posts on that visit.

The icons and emoticons aren't that bad. Computer users from the early 1980's will remember when boring old black and white monitors (in text-based DOS, ughh) gave way to color!! and icons!! and wallpaper!! and movement !! So what if the emoticons are silly. A little extra color keeps the screen interesting.

For the oldsters whose eyesight is failing, a larger text size would help. I have already set my commands at the top to
View
Largest Size
but it doesn't affect this screen.
I was going to suggest a vote for setting the default font size to "Large" instead of "Normal," but the Large size of 18 is TOO big. Then I thought of setting up a "medium large" size of, say, 12 or 14, and then have a vote to change the default font size on the finished posts. Even so, that wouldn't affect the small print of the "Message Body" as one is typing. Maybe I'll have to start wearing straight reading glasses on line; I have to tilt my head when wearing my usual bifocals and looking at a computer screen, so I presently just take my glasses off.

Thanks Andreas. Neil C. on the July 29 post also thanked "Frode" for OCMB website work and so will I.

Tigger

Post by Tigger » Mon Sep 19, 2005 8:08 am

I, too, was wondering about a "Last Wekk" spot being possible.

When a thread disappears....and I want to add something to it....I have to go to the section and find the thread, which in Opinions & Debate, Moderated involvea changing the post order from first post to "Last Post" & then trying to remember the title of the thread.

Tigger

chad

Post by chad » Mon Sep 26, 2005 10:25 pm

I think a great way to avoid a lot of the conflict here is to introduce some sort of 'kill-filter'. I mostly come here to read but when I'm confronted by blatant dishonesty and fact-distorting personal agenda I feel obliged to say something, and then the knee-jerkers just ...mmm... JERK ?

I recall a comment a while ago from a long term well-respected critic on ars, Cerberus, on a thread discussing OCMB and its value/purpose, to the effect of 'I never go to a place where you have to leave your kill-file at the door'.

Funny, but appropriate. Worth thinking about since this works well on usenet.

Tigger

Post by Tigger » Tue Sep 27, 2005 5:13 pm

Oh, you want Andreas to remove your temptation to post?

Hey it builds character to resist temptation and do your own Plonking. You know who you want killfiled.....so just skip their posts.

OCMB is not a.r.s. or one of those other boards that get pages and pages of posts....You can see on one page all the threads and the posts.

Oh dear, not very "compassionate" am I?

Tigger

"Hey BarKeeper, it's your job to keep me from drinking."

chad

Post by chad » Wed Sep 28, 2005 4:09 pm

Oh, you want Andreas to remove your temptation to post?
LOL Tigger :)
You can see on one page all the threads and the posts
That's my point actually. I'd rather not have to scroll past all the posts that I have learned will have no interest to me.

So I'm a discerning reader, okay ? I get the Sunday papers and chuck out (mmm, recycle I meant) about 90%. I'd like to be able to do the same here. Call me selfish, that's okay.

Tigger

Post by Tigger » Thu Sep 29, 2005 1:58 pm

May the Sun shine on your parade and strolling past a few piles of BS be the worst thing that happens to you. :) :) :)

Tigger

Ladybird

Post by Ladybird » Fri Sep 30, 2005 1:37 am

Ummm, whoops! This isn't the "Good quotes" section.

You really do need to upgrade your computer, dear.

PM me, I can help, and I do care, really I do!

Ladybird

Return to “Feedback & Help”