Excessive and Weird Moderation on OCMB

Any feedback you might have or help you need regarding OCMB. This is also the place to debate the board, moderating, the FAQ, etc.
Roan

Excessive and Weird Moderation on OCMB

Post by Roan » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:13 am

O.C.D.?? Aspergers? which is it?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Tigger wrote:Well, I think it's odd that I have to keep logging on OCMB. Does anyone else have that problem?
I do. All the time. It's really annoying.

The above is the big problem "off topic" comment I made in Sponges Media section. Which he excised, moved here and started a new thread with.
Last edited by Roan on Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
“The failure to condemn an activity is indeed, an offer of tacit approval.
All it takes for evil to flourish is for good men to do nothing.” — Edmund Burke

Sponge

Re: Log-in Problems

Post by Sponge » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:29 am

Try clearing browser cookies and temp internet files cache.
Restart browser
At log-on be sure to check the box that asks if you want to remain logged on

Roan

Post by Roan » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:48 am

Sponge, this is an example what you do that is really fucking annoying.

I DID NOT start this thread. You took a post I JUST made, ..talking to/responding to Tigger on another thread and came over here and started a new thread with it!! WTF? Tigger ALREADY has a thread here about it!! Did it ever cross your mind that I might want to COMMUNICATE with Tigger and not have you go ape-shit with your message board management?!? If I wanted to start a thread somewhere here... I WOULD HAVE.

Please leave my rather infrequent posts alone. Put your time and energy into actually solving the problem that Tigger, I and others have described MORE THAN ONCE!

And NO I don't want to clear cookies and temp files and re-boot my computer and blah, blah, blah, blah... The problem we're having ONLY HAPPENS WITH OCMB!!! Get on it Sponge. I want the problems solved by this coming Thursday 2:00 pm or it's even LOWER CONDITIONS for you and your cronies!
All it takes for evil to flourish is for good men to do nothing.” — Edmund Burke

Ladybird

Post by Ladybird » Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:03 am

ROTFLMAO Roan! I won't get in to the specifics. Ehrmm...back on topic, I have to log in every time I shut off my computer or if it has a "burp", which comcast does often. I am not sure why the "log me in" "keep me logged in" or whatever settings don't seem to matter, I just have to log in every time I come here.
[i]"There is nothing as wild in the books of Man as will probably happen here on Earth...it will happen and be allowed to happen simply because all this is so incredible that nobody will even think of stopping it until it is far, far too late"~LRH[/i]

I'mglib

Post by I'mglib » Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:18 am

What, some people don't have to log in every time? I thought everyone did. Huh.
"A man may build himself a throne of bayonets, but he cannot sit on it." -William Ralph Inge

Watch the Los Angeles press conference here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/ScilonTV#p/

Roan

Post by Roan » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:29 am

Why would anyone even mention that they have to log in each time they open up their browser? Rhetorical question. They wouldn't. Duhh.

Which is why I would have preferred that my "conversation" with Tigger be left alone. I thought maybe I recognized someone having the same problem as I was.
I get logged out every 3-5 minutes. I might be writing a post, I go to submit it and I'm back at the log-in screen (logged out and what I just wrote gone).

Never mind. I'm over it. It isn't worth the keystrokes.

Ladybird

Post by Ladybird » Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:59 pm

Roan wrote:I get logged out every 3-5 minutes. I might be writing a post, I go to submit it and I'm back at the log-in screen (logged out and what I just wrote gone).
I am sorry Roan, I didn't understand the problem you were having. I agree and hate when that ^^^ happens! I think it might be more a computer or Internet connection problem because that ^^^ doesn't happen to me on OCMB any more often than other sites or email.

If I am writing something important or long I write in a word doc and save it, but if it is just a reply on a message board that's too much trouble, but still it is a pain when your post disappears. I doubt it is this board though. For me, Comcast has been making changes and logging me out unexpectedly a lot (3 or 4 times a day, not every 3 or 5 minutes like you), so it could be some settings, cookies, parts or viruses, etc. on your computer.

I never used to have to log in every time I visited here, so that is what I thought you were talking about.
[i]"There is nothing as wild in the books of Man as will probably happen here on Earth...it will happen and be allowed to happen simply because all this is so incredible that nobody will even think of stopping it until it is far, far too late"~LRH[/i]

Tigger

Post by Tigger » Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:37 pm

Roan wrote:Sponge, this is an example what you do that is really fucking annoying.

I DID NOT start this thread. You took a post I JUST made, ..talking to/responding to Tigger on another thread and came over here and started a new thread with it!! WTF? Tigger ALREADY has a thread here about it!! Did it ever cross your mind that I might want to COMMUNICATE with Tigger and not have you go ape-shit with your message board management?!? If I wanted to start a thread somewhere here... I WOULD HAVE.

Please leave my rather infrequent posts alone. Put your time and energy into actually solving the problem that Tigger, I and others have described MORE THAN ONCE!

And NO I don't want to clear cookies and temp files and re-boot my computer and blah, blah, blah, blah... The problem we're having ONLY HAPPENS WITH OCMB!!! Get on it Sponge. I want the problems solved by this coming Thursday 2:00 pm or it's even LOWER CONDITIONS for you and your cronies!
Yeah, Roan, having your post moved to another thread, especially if that thread is in the FEEDBACK
section which people never see because it doesn't get on the
VIEW ACTIVE POSTS page is really annoying.

So why don't those posts get on the ACTIVE POSTS page when they are "ACTIVE"?

Ditto for DUSTBINNED threads
and/or posts when they are dustbinned? It's really annoying trying to find out where your posts and/or threads went.

BTW Sponge, you forgot this thread:

Operation Clambake Message Board • View topic - LOG IN PROBLEMS

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=33872

LOL......You started a new thread when there was already a thread started by "yours truly" with the very SAME Title
in the very SAME section.
Tut, tut, bad boy! :P

Tigger
COUNT YOUR BLESSINGS

"If you have never experienced the danger of battle, the loneliness of imprisonment, the agony of torture, or the pangs of starvation, you are ahead of 500 million people in the world."

Tigger

log-in problems. (redundant post moved from media section)

Post by Tigger » Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:58 pm

FYI.....Roan posted on this thread and it was moved to "FEEDBACK" in case anyone is wondering where it went.

Operation Clambake Message Board • View topic - Log-in Problems

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=34077&p=391427#p391427

Tigger
Last edited by Sponge on Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Tigger, Roan's post was moved to the feedback & help section because it was off topic for this thread and best helps others with similar problems by being in the feedback& help section, where I added a response myself. Stay on topic please.
COUNT YOUR BLESSINGS

"If you have never experienced the danger of battle, the loneliness of imprisonment, the agony of torture, or the pangs of starvation, you are ahead of 500 million people in the world."

d1684

Re: log-in problems. (redundant post moved from media sectio

Post by d1684 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:26 pm

I was having some login problems too. I finally had to reset my password.
"[If] anyone wants a monopoly on Dianetics, be assured that he wants it for reasons which have to do not with dianetics but with profit." —Dianetics by L.Ron Hubbard..who made $640 million dollars from Dianetics. Just a Coincidence.

Sponge

Post by Sponge » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:46 pm

Roan wrote:Sponge, this is an example what you do that is really fucking annoying.

Roan,
No, it is a simple example of basic board moderation. Putting things in places where they are best served as a topic for everyone. If you want to respond to tigger directly about something that is off topic for a particular thread then use a PM. I don't know what OCMB log-in problems has to do with wikileaks, fbi etc. If you do ever wonder where your thread/post had gone then use the search in your own profile for find where it is.
Normally, it is not that big of a deal. But a post about log-in problems that is going to end up as a dialog is best served for everyone in Feedback and help section rather than what will eventually become tucked away unbrowsed and unread by those who experience similar problems in future. Here's me thinking I was actually helping people so others who might be having the same problem, and who may have fixed it at their end, could contribute.
I should've added a note, before I moved it, that it was a moved post. The board doesn't automatically inform contributors of a moved post/thread and it just isn't practical for mods to PM people everytime we perform minor housekeeping.

As you can see there is already an existing thread in the feedback and help section on log-in problems where Tigger also contributes, so you could have dialoged openly about it there. Now we have two threads which I'm sorry about but that's a function of my moderator priviledges and I would rather have merged with the existing one. Perhaps the global mods can merge now please?

Anyway, about these "log-in problems"....

I've seen the "problem" once where I was asked to log-in dispite having it previously set to stay logged in. I noted this in the other thread. I had a little trouble with the "captcha" image that requires you to verify the log-in but other than that I've remained logged in for as long as want. I put that down to the board cookie expiring (i don't know what the time limit is but it's not indefinite).
So although I don't see the persistent problem you are having, I can appreciate that you are indeed having it. I've certainly never seen the situation of being logged out of any similar board whilst your are navigating it and I can certainly see that being a real pain in the ass.

I don't know what you expect mods to do directly by screaming at them. Admins are the ones who constructed the board and mods obviously don't have any access to that level. You will see in the other thread that admin has been made aware of it and has responded. If he, like me, is not seeing the persistent problem that a few uses are having then it is probably hard to diagnose.

If only a few users are having the same problems as you then it makes sense to do all the standard simple steps first such as browser cahce/cookie deletion and board password reset. If you say don't want to do that then you only make diagnosing the problem harder for yourself.
I can't give any specifics because I don't admin the board or the site that it runs on but in general terms there are certain things that might cause such a problem. The cookie files in your temporary internet cache relating to OCMB could become corrupted (you could search your temp internet files cache and specifically delete all ocmb cookies and cached pages if you didn't want to clearthe whole lot). Sometimes an update in board software, security updates etc might cause a conflict that requires the temp internet cache and cookies to be deleted. If you're saying you've done all these things then simply confirming that may help admin narrow it down. There maybe specific browser settings or types/versions of browser that are prone to this problem. I've no idea really so all I can suggest is the first simple steps and then communicate with admin who then may be able to look through his documentation/knowledgebase for the PHPBB board software and see if it is a known issue with certain browsers/settings and if there is a fix.

Also, Tigger, I didn't purposefully start a new thread. That's just the way moderator functions work for me. Global mods can merge if you report it.
As I said, if you wonder where a moderator has moved/merged a post or thread that you made then use the search on your own profile and it'll be right up there amongs the latest posts you made. It's a few once-only clicks to find it.
Posts in the Feedback & Help section will show up on the "View New Posts" link.

duhast

Post by duhast » Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:01 pm

Here's the problem I had the other day. I think it also is a clue as to what's going on...

I had been on the board the evening of the 13th on computer A. I did not log out, shut the browser and the computer and went to sleep. The morning of the 14th, I opened a browser on computer B and came here for a bit. After a time, I turned on computer A, opened a browser and tried to come here.

That routine is not unique, it happens virtually daily.

When I clicked the bookmark to come here, I got a failure page, complete with red letters, that I had exceeded the number of incorrect login attempts. I tried approaching through a Google link, and was finally successful.

What pops into my head is that what I saw, maybe others too, is hacking attempts, someone or something getting a username and trying to hack a password.
I'm worth a million in prizes.

Sponge

Post by Sponge » Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:09 pm

duhast, I'm not sure if this "exceeded the number of incorrect login attempts" is a false flag. I mentioned the same thing but IIRC after logging out and back in again the other day I'm almost sure the same message was there along with the "captcha" code entry entry requirement. If you'd like to check that again for me by loggin out and back in again, reporting if you see that same message. TIA

duhast

Post by duhast » Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:17 pm

I'll give it a shot right now....

I'm on 'A', and have not cleared any cache or temp files. Back in a sec, I hope....

duhast

Post by duhast » Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:19 pm

I'm back.

Return to “Feedback & Help”