Excessive and Weird Moderation on OCMB

Any feedback you might have or help you need regarding OCMB. This is also the place to debate the board, moderating, the FAQ, etc.
Sponge

Re: Log-in Problems

Post by Sponge » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:52 pm

Duhast,
I mean, when you logged back in, at the username/password prompt, did you still that text about having "exceeded the number of incorrect login attempts" before you'd even done anything?

duhast

Post by duhast » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:08 pm

Sponge wrote:Duhast,
I mean, when you logged back in, at the username/password prompt, did you still that text about having "exceeded the number of incorrect login attempts" before you'd even done anything?
Nope, it was a normal login.

One thing I remembered after I made that previous post is that I also changed the bookmark, deleted the one that took me to the Exceeded page and replaced it with the one I got from Google. I suppose that could have taken me to a different spot too...
I'm worth a million in prizes.

Tigger

Post by Tigger » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:17 pm

With all due respect, Sponge, you are missing the point.

Roan answered a question I asked on this thread.

Operation Clambake Message Board • View topic - Anonymous hackers wreak revenge on FBI snitch...

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=33965&start=15

He didn't start "screaming" until you moved his two sentence answer to a new thread in the basement without any notice, apparently, that you had done so.

BTW Dorothy responded to the same question plus gave "her advice" that I should post somewhere other than OCMB such as anti-critics websites...... in addition to messing with my sig line.

I'm Glib posted 'off topic' on that thread, questioning why I was posting on that thread, and not posting on other threads and bringing up OSA and troll allegations and suggesting I had evil intentions.

Apparently you didn't see fit to remove their posts. They were not only off-topic, but indulging in personal attacks, which as I understand it, is SUPPOSED to be a BIG NO NO on OCMB.

Roan was answering a question posted on that thread. Why should he have to run to the basement to check basement threads before he answers?
I didn't ask for soluitions. I asked if anyone else had that problem. His answer.....He had.

How many other off-topic questions get asked and/or answered without being shuffled off and buried in the basement?

Geesh, for someone whose mantra is "freedom of speech, you do seem to have a problem with who has a right to it and when they have a right to it.

If you are going to "move" a post, for whatever reason, the least you can do is put up a notice to say to where it's been moved, don't you think?

LOL.....I made a bet you would move my "FYI" notice on the Anon thread without any comment telling people to where my "FYI post" had gone. But I didn't bet you would start a new thread and then move it again to this thread. LOL.....how much sense does my FYI post make on this thread, where it is already known that Roan's post was moved? Perhaps moving it here keeps the "hounds" (protestors) away from the door? :P

Tigger
COUNT YOUR BLESSINGS

"If you have never experienced the danger of battle, the loneliness of imprisonment, the agony of torture, or the pangs of starvation, you are ahead of 500 million people in the world."

I'mglib

Post by I'mglib » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:26 pm

Feedback and Help isn't "The Basement".

It's for questions about how to use the board. Like "Why do I get logged out?"

It seems like this thread is a pretty good attempt to try to answer that question.

Also, Sponge is Media Moderator, so he can move threads out of media, but not merge. I merged the two. Sponge does an incredible job and is super organized. We like him that way.
"A man may build himself a throne of bayonets, but he cannot sit on it." -William Ralph Inge

Watch the Los Angeles press conference here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/ScilonTV#p/

Benny's Friend

Post by Benny's Friend » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:03 pm

Hot cocoa, anyone?

The more who speak out, the more who get out.

duhast

Post by duhast » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:22 pm

...And this:

I'm worth a million in prizes.

'Alert'

Post by 'Alert' » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:33 pm

I'mglib wrote:What, some people don't have to log in every time? I thought everyone did. Huh.

I find I only have to log-in if a specific amount of time elapses. I assumed it may have something to do with spam accounts or something similar.

Of course, y'all could go with the bestest browser around...Opera (IMHO)

I have the exact same thing happening in ARS via Google Groups

Benny's Friend wrote:Hot cocoa, anyone?

Ooo, yes...and lets have some Lamingtons with it.

"If anyone talks about a "road to Freedom" he is talking about a linear line. This, then, must have boundaries. If there are boundaries there is no freedom." - Dianetics 55

Tigger

Post by Tigger » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:10 am

I'mglib wrote:Feedback and Help isn't "The Basement".
Well IMO it's in the basement. Anything below it is in the subbasement. Neither basement shows up on the "Active Threads" page when the threads there are active.
It's for questions about how to use the board. Like "Why do I get logged out?"

It seems like this thread is a pretty good attempt to try to answer that question.
But "Why do I get logged out?" was not the
question asked. I asked that question some time ago when I posted LOG ON PROBLEMS in FEEDBACK. The question asked on the Anom thread was if anyone else had the same problem. Roan answered the question asked. I was not asking WHY or HOW. I was asking WHO else had the same problem.
Also, Sponge is Media Moderator, so he can move threads out of media, but not merge. I merged the two. Sponge does an incredible job and is super organized. We like him that way.
Who's we?

Sponge does do a great job. But does that job call for a "super organizer"? Who appreciates a "super organizer" playing chess with their posts and discarding them in a place where few people go? Especially when others have
gone "OFF-TOPIC" and also engaged in personal attacks and have not suffered any penalty?

Just asking,

Tigger
COUNT YOUR BLESSINGS

"If you have never experienced the danger of battle, the loneliness of imprisonment, the agony of torture, or the pangs of starvation, you are ahead of 500 million people in the world."

Tigger

Post by Tigger » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:23 am

Oh, Yummy food. But isn't "food" "off-topic" on this thread? Perhaps you didn't see the "request"?

Tigger, Roan's post was moved to the feedback & help section because it was off topic for this thread and best helps others with similar problems by being in the feedback& help section, where I added a response myself. Stay on topic please.
Perhaps Sponge or I'm Glib will make a special thread in FEEDBACK for
FOOD LOVERS. :P

Tigger
COUNT YOUR BLESSINGS

I'mglib

Post by I'mglib » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:37 am

Tigger, not sure why you have decided to take up this thread with undressing Sponge, but when I say "we" I mean me and the people who read the media section every day.
I was asking WHO else had the same problem.
Sounds related to me.

Look, m'dear. Moderating is an activity that is basically a series of judgement calls. Do you dustbin/merge/split/approve/disapprove? It's one judgement call after another like this. Sort of like driving, where you are constantly deciding whether to go through a light, speed up, slow down, change lanes, etc. Different people are going to do it different ways, and make different calls. Different mods are going to put their own character into it. That's the nature of people and judgement calls.

I personally think when someone volunteers to do this, and is working tirelessly, they should be cut some slack if their judgement calls don't exactly match yours. Especially when the finished product is pretty damn good.

The good news about these types of decisions is the stakes aren't that high. I feel pretty confident in saying that no one ever died, or was even maimed.

Have you ever worked on a play or big artistic project? If you have maybe you have seen how the director is always criticized endlessly. I have worked on a lot of these, as well as dance concerts, and it's always like this. People have different visions of how the finished product should look, who should be cast, the costumes, lighting, etc. I've come to realize that there's no right or wrong. There are just different visions, and the director just has to carry on with his/her vision.

I hope you take these words to heart. I don't think we need to battle.
"A man may build himself a throne of bayonets, but he cannot sit on it." -William Ralph Inge

Watch the Los Angeles press conference here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/ScilonTV#p/

Tigger

Post by Tigger » Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:15 am

I'mglib wrote:Tigger, not sure why you have decided to take up this thread with undressing Sponge, but when I say "we" I mean me and the people who read the media section every day.
Because I couldn't understand why (or agree with) Sponge's moving Roan's post to this thread. I agree with Roan and think there s too much "super organizing" going on.

So you think everyone who reads the media section agrees with the "super organization". I'm missing posts from several of the people who used to post here. Could it be that they don't agree with some of the "super organization' too?

When I look at the OCMB stats,
they usually show less than 10.....5 or so......posters and 15 to 20 guests. On ESMB
there always seems to be 50 plus posters on line and a hundred or two guests.

Who's battling?
Disagreeing with you and/or Sponge is acceptable, isn't it?
LOL.....at least I haven't called anyone OSA.

And posting (or not posting) on any thread is my choice, isn't it or is that a part of "super organization" too?

HAND

Tigger
COUNT YOUR BLESSINGS

Roan

Post by Roan » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:14 am

Sponge wrote: ABSTRACT REPRESENTATION OF Sponges' MUCH TOO LONG, PEDANTIC, OBTUSE POST/RESPONSE TO ME. (Which I did not read)
Sponge wrote:Roan,
If you want to respond to tigger directly about something that is off topic for a particular thread then use a PM.
No, I won't. I'll just continue to do what I've done my whole life: communicate freely with who I want to, where I want to. I guess I'll have to try to ignore or overcome your compulsive need to "arrange things" on OCMB.

I'm 100% certain that my infrequent posts here on OCMB are not any kind of "off-topic" problem for threads, Sponge.
You moved my post (thus deleting it from the thread I chose to talk in) about 5 seconds after it was posted. I think you need to step away from your computer and take a walk or something.

And please don't send me another epic PM lecturing me on the importance and purposes of OCMB, proper moderation, WWP, threads, posts, blah, bleh, bleh. If you need a reminder here it is: a while back I made a 70 word post on a thread helping Merrow as he/she was being micro-managed by you. You sent me a PM (plus an "addendum" :roll: PM) that totaled up to be a massive 2,200 word dual-part, eye-glazing harangue!! That's nearly 12,000 keystrokes!!! :shock: Nearly all of them un-read, I might add.

I don't waste my time reading giant walls of text on message boards, Sponge! So you might want to not waste your time writing them (to me at least).

Hope this helps. :)

“The failure to condemn an activity is indeed, an offer of tacit approval.
All it takes for evil to flourish is for good men to do nothing.” — Edmund Burke

Benny's Friend

Post by Benny's Friend » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:33 am

Roan wrote:I want the problems solved by this coming Thursday 2:00 pm or it's even LOWER CONDITIONS for you and your cronies!
That's Woman Goddess of Influence to you, bucko. And nobody puts Baby in a corner.
The more who speak out, the more who get out.

Roan

Post by Roan » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:47 am

Benny's Friend wrote:
Roan wrote:I want the problems solved by this coming Thursday 2:00 pm or it's even LOWER CONDITIONS for you and your cronies!
That's Woman Goddess of Influence to you, bucko. And nobody puts Baby in a corner.
:huh: I assume you're referring to yourself? Was I talking to you?
And who is Baby?!?
weird :scratch:
Talk about off topic! Is this you being a Moderator BF? Come in and make odd sort of jokey but subtly hostile comments, someone like me responds kind of confused/perturbed and then the thread gets locked and dust-binned?
“The failure to condemn an activity is indeed, an offer of tacit approval.
All it takes for evil to flourish is for good men to do nothing.” — Edmund Burke

Ladybird

Post by Ladybird » Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:01 am

Come on roan! You were a mod and you had to deal with stuff, so you should understand. There is a fine line between free speech and censorship.

A man may build himself a throne of bayonets, but he cannot sit on it."
-William Ralph Inge
[i]"There is nothing as wild in the books of Man as will probably happen here on Earth...it will happen and be allowed to happen simply because all this is so incredible that nobody will even think of stopping it until it is far, far too late"~LRH[/i]

Return to “Feedback & Help”