GHOSTLY (registered) BOTS????

Any feedback you might have or help you need regarding OCMB. This is also the place to debate the board, moderating, the FAQ, etc.
Tigger

GHOSTLY (registered) BOTS????

Post by Tigger » Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:57 pm

The stats show some registered users which are in shadowy type with ......(BOT)
after the names. Such as:

Bing (Bot), Google (Bot) and Yahoo (Bot)

Their names, unlike the names of other registered users, can not be clicked on.

So who are they and why do they always seem to be there?

JW

Tigger......
I know......"curiosity killed the cat" :P
COUNT YOUR BLESSINGS

"If you have never experienced the danger of battle, the loneliness of imprisonment, the agony of torture, or the pangs of starvation, you are ahead of 500 million people in the world."

duhast

Re: GHOSTLY (registered) BOTS????

Post by duhast » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:53 pm

Bots are the things that go and collect data for search engines, like you used the word "Ghostly". The bots will crawl around and find that, report back to it's engine, and when you search "Ghostly", this thread will show up in the search.
I'm worth a million in prizes.

Ladybird

Post by Ladybird » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:59 pm

Tigger, those are web bots that have been everywhere on the net for years. They come from the search engines that rate websites and decide which sites get picked up by the sites and what the ranking is. I think you might find this very interesting because it is the bots and "slurp spiders" and such that decide which sites get on the 1st/top page of google/yahoo/bing/aol etc. searches.

I don't know much about this, except it has something to do with key words, # of hits, what links they are linked to and from, etc.

It is a fascinating subject, and one that pays big bucks to people who can figure out how it works and how to keep your or your clients posts at the top of the major web search pages. This might be just the game you are looking for!

I am sure some more experienced web experts will be along soon to tell us more.
[i]"There is nothing as wild in the books of Man as will probably happen here on Earth...it will happen and be allowed to happen simply because all this is so incredible that nobody will even think of stopping it until it is far, far too late"~LRH[/i]

Tigger

Post by Tigger » Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:54 pm

LOL....thanks. I kinda had an idea that it was something like that....

But why do those bots show up and are counted as registered users? Geesh, that means that sometimes there are NO registered users on the board even though the stats show there are.

ESMB doesn't show those shadowy bots in its "registered users" stats. ......

Can any expert tell this clueless being WHY?

Tigger
COUNT YOUR BLESSINGS

"If you have never experienced the danger of battle, the loneliness of imprisonment, the agony of torture, or the pangs of starvation, you are ahead of 500 million people in the world."

Sponge

Post by Sponge » Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:25 pm

Search Bots are like guests in that they can be given access permissions. Basically it is similar to guest read only access. Only admin can tell you what areas of the board that search bots are allowed to access to gather their search engine data from.

This forum uses PHPBB v3 board software, ESMB uses VBulletin v3.8.4 which are entirely different brands so there will be differences in how user stats are displayed, plus the fact that admin may have options as to what he/she prefers to be displayed.

If you want to learn more about the technical ins'n'outs of all the different forum software products that are available then you can go to their respective community forums/help pages.

As far as users here are concerned, most things you need to know about using the board are covered in the PHPBB User Documentation as linked in this boards' Annoucements section where other user documentation/updates will be posted by admin.

Tigger

Post by Tigger » Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:47 pm

Thanks, Sponge.

Return to “Feedback & Help”