Is "org" a regular English word or Scientologese?

Exposing the network of Scientology business consultant and recruitment companies.
sconetale

Is "org" a regular English word or Scientologese?

Post by sconetale » Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:04 am

Hi,

I recently saw a company instruction video that used the word "org" twice - once it said "effective org".

I did not recognize any connections to Scientology otherwise, but it made me wonder if "org" is a regular English word that's generally used as shorthand for "organisation" or if it is one of Hubbard's neo-logisms and therefore indicative of something creepy...
Last edited by sconetale on Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Don Carlo

Re: Is "org" a regular English word or Scientologese?

Post by Don Carlo » Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:42 am

I've never heard "org" in business or university. I don't know if the word is used in the military.

Demented LRH

Post by Demented LRH » Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:25 pm

“Org” is an abbreviation of “organization”. I used spellchecking to confirm that this is a legitimate word. I do not know where this abbreviation is used on regular basis.
“This OT shit is driving me insane. On a positive side, I laugh a lot these days because I’m at a funny farm.”
L. Ron Hubbard

L. Ron Hubbard era un maestro de masturbacion fisica y mental.

bparker230

Post by bparker230 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:44 pm

I think it is simply short for "organization". $cientology abbreviates words and uses acronyms. The word is abbreviated in the "wog world" as well. One example is ".org" on the internet.

anondelmundial

Post by anondelmundial » Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:43 pm

Heh! I have been so badly contaminated with "org" in relation to Scientology that I am unable to even conceive of another use of the term! ...well, OK, *.org in an Internet address, but that is just a reflexive use without any context in my mind.

bparker230

Post by bparker230 » Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:55 pm

Right. "Org" is not used as a word in English (that I am aware of) but only as an abbreviation. In Scientologese, it is an actual word. It is used as a noun (ideal org) and as an adjective (org board) and don't forget the plural: "orgs".

Can you tell us more about the company instruction video? At the very least it is odd that they would use the word "org" in place of the word "organization". The term "effective org" sounds suspiciously Scientologese to me.

Wieber

Post by Wieber » Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:27 am

The scientology language could be said to have two sets of terms specific to it. In scientology they like to use the term, 'nomenclature' for this. I think that's inaccurate. Whether Hubbard intended it or not, the language of scientology has become its own language with its own grammar and its own syntax. In my opinion it is different enough from English to not be English. I don't know how it is when spoken or written in other languages.

As I was saying there are two sets of terms in scientology. One set consists of words coined by L. Ron Hubbard and specifically defined by him in his writings and lectures. Those words can be found in scientology's dictionaries. The other set of terms falls into two similar categories. The first category consists of words coined by L. Ron Hubbard that have through usage developed different meanings that can only be understood contextually because no one in the organization has gathered and codified them. Because of their Keeping Scientology Working policy they cannot do that. The other category consists of other words, mostly English, that have not been specifically redefined by Hubbard but that have taken on contextual meanings unique to Scientology. Again these can't be gathered and codified within scientology.

Now, let's deal with 'org.'

In scientology 'org' may have started as being short for 'organization.' It has gone beyond that. It partially means 'church' but that's not completely accurate. When a person in scientology says or writes 'org' there are images and associations that come to their mind. The org is the building where the local organization is housed. The org is the people involved in scientology that gather in that building. After some exposure to it, and I think Hubbard intended this, the org becomes a central point of reference to the people involved in scientology.

To a large degree, David Miscavige's ideal org campaign that defines 'ideal org' as large renovated building undermines the context of 'org' that became established due to Hubbard's efforts and the contextual usage of those people involved with scientology.

Another point that needs to be made is that in scientology missions and franchises are not orgs. So there's an administrative context to the word.

Then there's 'org' as used in the term 'sea org.' That brings in a completely new set of associations with it.

There's another thing with this word 'org.' In scientology, Hubbard broke down the standard categorization of words. In effect a noun can be used as a verb, a verb can be used as a noun. This can be done with other parts of speech, too. But the word 'org' is always a noun. It is never used as a verb. In scientology the verb is always 'organize,' never 'org.' It is an adjective when used in the term, 'org board' but that's the only instance of that.
“Think wrongly if you please, but in all cases think for yourself.”
Doris Lessing

spacecootie

Post by spacecootie » Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:26 am

I've heard "org chart" to describe a organizational chart. I don't think Hubbo had enough influence on language that his "Org Board" concept was widely adopted in the Wog world; like most of his spew, I think he probably stole it and repackaged it.
An organizational chart (often called organization chart, org chart, organigram(me), or organogram(me)) is a diagram that shows the structure of an organization and the relationships and relative ranks of its parts and positions/jobs. The term is also used for similar diagrams, for example ones showing the different elements of a field of knowledge or a group of languages.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Organizational_chart

Return to “Scientology Business Consultants Exposed”