picket by sciobots

Crimson

picket by sciobots

Post by Crimson » Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:28 pm

there is some kind of picket run by the sciobots in sudbury today. I'm trying to find the information. it's on www.whdh.com somewhere if anyone finds it. I wish i had known about it before. i would have been there with bells on!!!!!
Crimson
I miss you Frankie.

Kilia

Post by Kilia » Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:01 pm

Doing a search of the website, I don't see anything related to the picket, Crimson. Perhaps it will be on there tomorrow.

Crimson

Post by Crimson » Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:12 pm

one of my coworkers said "the crazies are at it again" and showed me the article. I couldn't find it again when i went on the site. I think it was today. that's why i'm looking. if it's tomorrow. I'm there.

It's under the local news.
Crimson
I miss you Frankie.

Kilia

Post by Kilia » Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:16 pm

I meant the article would be there tomorrow. lol

I'll try and search some more...wish me luck.

Kilia

Post by Kilia » Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:28 pm

Sorry, Crimson....I still cannot find the article. :cry:

Crimson

found it

Post by Crimson » Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:54 pm

Scientologists want drug history of high school murder suspect John Odgren
By Theresa Freeman and Peter Reuell/Daily News staff
Wednesday, January 24, 2007 - Updated: 01:25 PM EST

A Scientologist group will gather today in Sudbury to demand that accused teen killer John Odgren's psychiatric medications be made public in an event some say will enrage the grieving community.
The Citizens Commission on Human Rights, which was established by the Church of Scientology, plans to hold a 20-foot banner reading, "Psychiatry's toxic drugs cause suicide and acts of violence," at the intersection of Rte. 27 and Concord Road.

Rebecca Goniwich, chairwoman of the Lincoln-Sudbury Special Education Advisory Council, was shocked to learn of the protest.

"I think everybody will be devastated," said Goniwich, a Sudbury parent of a severely autistic 16-year-old boy. "The backlash has already affected emotionally the kids with special needs. I think it's just going to make them hurt more."

Public meeting tomorrow night.

The noontime demonstration will call for the release of the name of Odgren's prescribing doctor or psychiatrist and the prescriptions he was taking last Friday when he allegedly stabbed and killed a classmate.

"These doctors shouldn't be prescribing willy-nilly. It's like playing Dr. Frankenstein," said Kevin Hall, the commission's New England director. "All they're really doing is working on the behavior and covering it up."

Odgren, 16, may have been on any number of prescription medications, including a class of drugs known to sometimes cause violent behavior in teens. According to his defense attorney, Odgren suffers from Asperger's syndrome and was taking several medications when the stabbing occurred.

No child chooses to have an emotional disability, Goniwich said.

"Walk a mile in our shoes before you judge," she said. "Medication keeps them out of an institution, it keeps them as members of society."

A form of autism, Asperger's syndrome is marked by a lack of social interaction, focused interest in repeated activities and, often in teens, anxiety and/or depression, said Helen Tager-Flusberg, a professor of anatomy and neurobiology at the Boston University School of Medicine and an expert on Asperger's.

Unlike most disorders, though, there is no treatment for Asperger's, Tager-Flusberg said, so doctors typically tackle the disease with a variety of medications aimed at its symptoms.

"There are a number of other behaviors, called secondary symptoms, that we will often provide treatment for," she said.

"We see quite a number of people, by the time they reach adolescence, with high anxiety or depression," she said. "These might then be treated with psychotropic drugs that are used to treat those symptoms in other populations."

Using drugs such as antidepressants, however, comes with its caveats, she said.

While studies have shown antidepressants and similar drugs can increase suicidal thoughts and violent behavior among teens, Tager-Flusberg said there are no formal studies on how they affect patients with Asperger's.

Asperger's patients may also be prescribed a wide array of other drugs, from mood elevators to drugs to treat attention-deficit disorder.

"It's extremely variable," she said. "How they are treated in terms of psychopharmacology is complex individually and highly variable."

Clinicians need to watch closely patients on selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SSRI) antidepressants, such as Prozac, Zoloft and Paxil, especially when they begin the treatment, said Dr. John Fromson, chairman of MetroWest Medical Center's department of psychiatry and a Harvard Medical School teacher.

However, there is no data that prescribing psychotropic drugs, under the care of a physician, leads to more violent behavior, Fromson said.

Natick High students Danielle Caouette, left, and Jennifer Widisky signs a mural for students at Lincoln-Sudbury.
(Ken McGagh/Daily News staff)

Natick High School junior Kaycee Rosenberg, front, adds her condolences to a mural set up in the school cafeteria following the stabbing death last week of Lincoln-Sudbury High School freshman James Alenson, who was an eighth grader at the Wilson Middle School in Natick last year. The mural will be given to Lincoln-Sudbury later this week.
(Ken McGagh/Daily News staff)
Crimson
I miss you Frankie.

Return to “Massachusetts”