Will the movie get made?

One day someone will make a full feature movie about the life of L Ron Hubbard and how he created the Church of Scientology. How would the story go, what title should it have, what should and should not be included, who could make it, who would play the different roles? Add your inspirational thoughts here.
skeptic2girl

Will the movie get made?

Post by skeptic2girl » Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:49 am

I found this info on the wikipedia "L. Ron Hubbard" bio page, and also posted it in the Who Should Play L. Ron thread:

"As of 2010, director Paul Thomas Anderson is planning a film based on Hubbard called The Master.[200] Philip Seymour Hoffman has been cast to play the leader of, "a faith-based organization that becomes popular in 1952 America — exactly the year L. Rob Hubbard expanded his Dianetics self-help system and established the Church of Scientology."[201] Reese Witherspoon and Jeremy Renner have reportedly been approached to appear.[202]"

I was wondering, do people think that Paul Thomas Anderson will be able to make the movie and/or if it is still in the works? Unless the thing is some sort of glowing tribute to L. Ron, surely there will be lots of opposition by the Co$. But I really, really hope they make the movie. And tell the truth.

I assume that the "Master" will not be named Hubbard and the Bible-like book the character writes will have to be titled something other than Dianetics.

Smurf

Re: Will the movie get made?

Post by Smurf » Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:39 am

I doubt it will ever happen.. and if they do go ahead with the project, it will be heavily fictionalized. Movies nowaday are made with investor's money and they only have one goal in mind: make lotsa $$$. The script has to be one which will excite movie watchers & critics.

I think any movie producer willing to consider doing this project will have the catastrophe titled "Valkyrie" in the back of their minds.

I'mglib

Post by I'mglib » Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:41 am

It doesn't look like it will get made any time soon. It was put on hold indefinitely several months ago:

http://www.firstshowing.net/2010/paul-t ... efinitely/
"A man may build himself a throne of bayonets, but he cannot sit on it." -William Ralph Inge

Watch the Los Angeles press conference here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/ScilonTV#p/

I'mglib

Post by I'mglib » Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:41 am

It doesn't look like it will get made any time soon. It was put on hold indefinitely several months ago:

http://www.firstshowing.net/2010/paul-t ... efinitely/
"A man may build himself a throne of bayonets, but he cannot sit on it." -William Ralph Inge

Watch the Los Angeles press conference here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/ScilonTV#p/

Sponge

Post by Sponge » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:14 pm

This entire subforum "L Ron Hubbard: The Movie" is redundant and outlived its original novelty value.
Admin, pleeeease cremate it, quietly without sorrow or ceremony. Sprinkle its remains over the ocean of Opinions & Debate and let it disperse.

inb4 no u killjoy! ;)

Smurf

Post by Smurf » Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:23 pm

Sponge wrote:This entire subforum "L Ron Hubbard: The Movie" is redundant and outlived its original novelty value.
Admin, pleeeease cremate it, quietly without sorrow or ceremony. Sprinkle its remains over the ocean of Opinions & Debate and let it disperse.
Whhhaaaa?? The mods don't have magical powers?

d1684

Post by d1684 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:28 am

Well, the only way you could make a movie that exposed Elron would be to change enough of the details so that Co$ wouldn't be able to sue. William Bainbridge did it in his book "Satan's Power" where he called Scientology "Thechicanity", etc. Count me in if you ever want to make it! I was in a grade Z horor movie and a couple of radio commercials. I don't know if the guy that made "The Bridge" ever got sued, but I'm sure he at least got harrassed for it.

As for making a pro-Scientology bio flick about Elron, I'm sure one will be made someday. Hopefull it's as bad as "Battlefield Earth" LOL! Make sure to use Rifftrax when you watch that one. It's the only way I can sit through it. Elron sucked as a religious leader and a Sci Fi writer. He should have just opened a restaruant or something.
"[If] anyone wants a monopoly on Dianetics, be assured that he wants it for reasons which have to do not with dianetics but with profit." —Dianetics by L.Ron Hubbard..who made $640 million dollars from Dianetics. Just a Coincidence.

Stein

Post by Stein » Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:41 am

The movie is supposedly back on.

According to a piece in today's NY Mag, a new investor has been found - Megan Ellison, daughter of Oracle's Larry Ellison. She and her brother financed the remake of True Grit. She is going to finance two Anderson films. The question is which will start filming first?

http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/20 ... erson.html
“I was in a cult for thirty-four years. Everyone else could see it. I don’t know why I couldn’t.”
Paul Haggis - New Yorker interview

d1684

Post by d1684 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:43 pm

Stein wrote:The movie is supposedly back on.
Kewl! I call dibs on the role of Xenu! I'm already practining my scary evil alien laugh. MUHAHAHAHA! :xenu:
"[If] anyone wants a monopoly on Dianetics, be assured that he wants it for reasons which have to do not with dianetics but with profit." —Dianetics by L.Ron Hubbard..who made $640 million dollars from Dianetics. Just a Coincidence.

Stein

Post by Stein » Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:21 pm

d1684 - While reading your post, I couldn't help but hear the evil laugh of Zurg from Toy Story II. It's a sound and image that will take some time to get out of my head whenever I hear of Zenu.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pP5nNNAK ... re=related

“I was in a cult for thirty-four years. Everyone else could see it. I don’t know why I couldn’t.”
Paul Haggis - New Yorker interview

smartuser20

Post by smartuser20 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:56 pm

Hi guys,

does anybody know if this movie was ever made? I am working on a project for my class and I need to know.
My father is a lawyer, but I am a future doctor.

sconetale

Post by sconetale » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:17 pm

smartuser20 wrote:Hi guys,

does anybody know if this movie was ever made? I am working on a project for my class and I need to know.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Master_%282012_film%29
It's done ready and scheduled for release on September 14th + has been videly recognized on this board already. :)

Besides the trailers make it look like top Oscar 2013 material :)

sulman3

Post by sulman3 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:58 am

hillip Seymour Hoffman is better for Hubbard than Walken. Walken as Rinder makes a good match, I think. It's weird to realize that Rinder *did* escape in.[URL=http://shipsurvey.com.sg/ship-asbestos-marine-asbestos/]Ship Asbestos[/URL] Mike Rinder was being swarmed by church investigators.

sulman3

Post by sulman3 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:58 am

hillip Seymour Hoffman is better for Hubbard than Walken. Walken as Rinder makes a good match, I think. It's weird to realize that Rinder *did* escape in.Ship Asbestos Mike Rinder was being swarmed by church investigators.

sulman3

Post by sulman3 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:59 am

hillip Seymour Hoffman is better for Hubbard than Walken. Walken as Rinder makes a good match, I think. It's weird to realize that Rinder *did* escape in.Ship Asbestos Mike Rinder was being swarmed by church investigators.

Return to “L Ron Hubbard: The Movie”