Front page changes

Share your ideas and contributions on how to make the site better. This is also where you can get ideas on how you can contribute. Got some skills, resources or spare time?
admin
Site Admin

Front page changes

Post by admin » Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:53 pm

I'm testing a small redesign of the front page, please let me know what you think:

NOW: http://www.xenu.net/
NEW TEST: http://www.xenu.net/index2.html

I've also replaced the previous search function with Google.
Andreas @ www.xenu.net
[b]- Life is not a test.[/b]

Smurf

Re: Front page changes

Post by Smurf » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:02 pm

admin wrote:I'm testing a small redesign of the front page, please let me know what you think:

NOW: http://www.xenu.net/
NEW TEST: http://www.xenu.net/index2.html
Andreas, sometimes change is good, but changing formats to fancy from fuctional is not always the best route for those of us twits that like things easy to read & understand. I'm not particularly fond of the Twitter ad blocking the face of Mike McClaughry (even though he's a major space cadet) in the New Test. But, you go with what you think is best.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:25 pm

Smurf wrote:Andreas, sometimes change is good, but changing formats to fancy from fuctional is not always the best route for those of us twits that like things easy to read & understand. I'm not particularly fond of the Twitter ad blocking the face of Mike McClaughry (even though he's a major space cadet) in the New Test. But, you go with what you think is best.
I'm not sure what you vote for and against... Is the ad blocking his face in your browser? Are you saying the existing or test pages are good or bad?

BTW; The right column is meant to be dynamic - changing whenever I have time or get new ideas.
Andreas @ www.xenu.net

Smurf

Post by Smurf » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:31 pm

admin wrote:I'm not sure what you vote for and against... Is the ad blocking his face in your browser? Are you saying the existing or test pages are good or bad? BTW; The right column is meant to be dynamic - changing whenever I have time or get new ideas.
I vote for the change as long as you work out the kinks, i.e., the blue "Follow Our Tweets" & bird icon covering Mike's face & your Twitter box totally obscuring the caption for the videos of his interview.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:53 pm

What browser do you use (incl. version)?
Andreas @ www.xenu.net

Sponge

Post by Sponge » Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:42 am

I'm not seeing the same problem as Smurf is seeing. It looks fine to me. (I.E. 8 or Firefox 4.0).
Maybe we could have some more input from others.

The only minor visual quibble on the new test layout is that the boxes on the right would look tidier if the vertical alignment of the top one met with the top edge of the orange title bar that says "Introduction" in black, rather than the white space that is above it now (but I wouldn't lose any sleep over it if it remains as it is).
All the boxes on the right should ideally be the same width rather than all different as the are now.

The google search is fine. I don't know if this is possible but I'm wondering if you could have a check box opton to include/exclude the OCMB.XENU.NET message board thread links in the results. Or two buttons, 1) Search XENU.NET only. 2) search both XENU.NET site and Message board.
My reasoning is that most of the xenu.net site stuff is factual whereas message board stuff contains a lot of opinion and when there are a lot of search results for a given word or phrase then it can be a lot to wade though. Also sometimes I just specifically want to search the xenu.net main site only.
Also, in my view, there's no need to have "only this site" checkbox on the test page as you have now. My reasoning is that if people want to use google globally then they'll likely use it seperately anyway. It doesn't bother me being there but might start looking a little messy if you employ the options I've mentioned above.

Back to the visual again, and this applies to old or new layouts is that, for my personal tastes I think the link icons on the far left (for TIME magazine, slatkinfraud etc should be grouped much closer together rather than spread out). Also I think your anonymous guy with the xenu.net sign fits better on the left hand side where it was originally, but perhaps under the search box/button (certainly at the size that it is, which is much narrower than the info/twitter boxes above currently above it on the test layout).

Just some observations/ideas. Hope that helps.

Smurf

Post by Smurf » Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:10 am

admin wrote:What browser do you use (incl. version)?
That's wierd. I generally use Internet Explorer 8. Checked it again. Same issue. I just uploaded Firefox and there's no problem.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:10 am

Didn't get a lot of comments supporting the change and I'm torn myself - so I'm dropping it for now (except changing the search engine to Google).
Andreas @ www.xenu.net

natorMah

Front page changes

Post by natorMah » Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:13 am

Please put all discussions about the new front page system, domain changes, blog system, fanfic question and what have you here.
[url=http://www.betoline.ru/]Бетон петербург

Scientology

Post by Scientology » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:43 am

In my opinion the front page needs to
1 unlink the resources not working

Don Carlo

Post by Don Carlo » Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:47 pm

Welcome, new poster "Scientology." The moderators can only moderate comments, and not fix links within the site. Hopefully Andreas, the founder, owner and admin of xenu.net, will see your comment and check the front page. After three approved comments you become a regular poster.

Scientology

Post by Scientology » Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:19 am

Ok very nice thank you!

suggest ...
Some Change
The Unbreakable Miss Lovely: How the Church of Scientology Tried to Destroy Paulette Coope. (An unlikely Book originating from an unlikely book, in what is dissing. - a good read from an ugly and sad reality, hard to imagine in a modern society. Discover deep in this cover Scientology likes to hide behind ... or something like that)

http://www.skeptic.com/eskeptic/15-08-12/
about the Scientology terror and how Scientology tried to destroy
The Scandal of Scientology

New link or unlink
Who is David Miscavige?
Articles and videos.
-Has it ever been any info there? just an empty page not reflecting David Miscavige

David Miscavige Bio
From the SP Times in Florida.

The man behind Scientology (1998)
SP Times article from 1998.
not working new link
https://www.culteducation.com/group/128 ... ology.html

I Escaped Scientology
John Duignan is recovering after twenty in years in what he calls the militant inner core of the anti-intellectual, coercive, mind bending and maliciously self-serving cult known as Scientology.

AFF Cult Group Information
Information about cults, cultic groups and psychological manipulation. New link http://www.icsahome.com/

South Park takes on Scientology - episode available online
Tom Cruise is Nuts - take a seat, enjoy the ride.

Scientology

Post by Scientology » Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:53 pm

Ok a suggestion
Scientology L Ron Hubbard XENU David Miscavige
I think the most important changes is to correct pages so everything points to working links. Xenu is a nice tool.
2 Let the picture name be describing what they show.

Return to “Improving & Developing Operation Clambake”