One opened, more to come!
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:27 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Front page changes
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:53 pm 
Site Admin

I'm testing a small redesign of the front page, please let me know what you think:

NOW: http://www.xenu.net/
NEW TEST: http://www.xenu.net/index2.html

I've also replaced the previous search function with Google.

Post subject: Re: Front page changes
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:02 pm 

admin wrote:
I'm testing a small redesign of the front page, please let me know what you think:

NOW: http://www.xenu.net/
NEW TEST: http://www.xenu.net/index2.html
Andreas, sometimes change is good, but changing formats to fancy from fuctional is not always the best route for those of us twits that like things easy to read & understand. I'm not particularly fond of the Twitter ad blocking the face of Mike McClaughry (even though he's a major space cadet) in the New Test. But, you go with what you think is best.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:25 pm 
Site Admin

Smurf wrote:
Andreas, sometimes change is good, but changing formats to fancy from fuctional is not always the best route for those of us twits that like things easy to read & understand. I'm not particularly fond of the Twitter ad blocking the face of Mike McClaughry (even though he's a major space cadet) in the New Test. But, you go with what you think is best.

I'm not sure what you vote for and against... Is the ad blocking his face in your browser? Are you saying the existing or test pages are good or bad?

BTW; The right column is meant to be dynamic - changing whenever I have time or get new ideas.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:31 pm 

admin wrote:
I'm not sure what you vote for and against... Is the ad blocking his face in your browser? Are you saying the existing or test pages are good or bad? BTW; The right column is meant to be dynamic - changing whenever I have time or get new ideas.
I vote for the change as long as you work out the kinks, i.e., the blue "Follow Our Tweets" & bird icon covering Mike's face & your Twitter box totally obscuring the caption for the videos of his interview.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:53 pm 
Site Admin

What browser do you use (incl. version)?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:42 am 

I'm not seeing the same problem as Smurf is seeing. It looks fine to me. (I.E. 8 or Firefox 4.0).
Maybe we could have some more input from others.

The only minor visual quibble on the new test layout is that the boxes on the right would look tidier if the vertical alignment of the top one met with the top edge of the orange title bar that says "Introduction" in black, rather than the white space that is above it now (but I wouldn't lose any sleep over it if it remains as it is).
All the boxes on the right should ideally be the same width rather than all different as the are now.

The google search is fine. I don't know if this is possible but I'm wondering if you could have a check box opton to include/exclude the OCMB.XENU.NET message board thread links in the results. Or two buttons, 1) Search XENU.NET only. 2) search both XENU.NET site and Message board.
My reasoning is that most of the xenu.net site stuff is factual whereas message board stuff contains a lot of opinion and when there are a lot of search results for a given word or phrase then it can be a lot to wade though. Also sometimes I just specifically want to search the xenu.net main site only.
Also, in my view, there's no need to have "only this site" checkbox on the test page as you have now. My reasoning is that if people want to use google globally then they'll likely use it seperately anyway. It doesn't bother me being there but might start looking a little messy if you employ the options I've mentioned above.

Back to the visual again, and this applies to old or new layouts is that, for my personal tastes I think the link icons on the far left (for TIME magazine, slatkinfraud etc should be grouped much closer together rather than spread out). Also I think your anonymous guy with the xenu.net sign fits better on the left hand side where it was originally, but perhaps under the search box/button (certainly at the size that it is, which is much narrower than the info/twitter boxes above currently above it on the test layout).

Just some observations/ideas. Hope that helps.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:10 am 

admin wrote:
What browser do you use (incl. version)?
That's wierd. I generally use Internet Explorer 8. Checked it again. Same issue. I just uploaded Firefox and there's no problem.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:10 am 
Site Admin

Didn't get a lot of comments supporting the change and I'm torn myself - so I'm dropping it for now (except changing the search engine to Google).