Really Rebuilding Your Life

Share your personal experiences with others. We're not here to judge or criticise, but to share and support.

Moderator: Dorothy

barky
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by barky » Wed Nov 02, 2005 2:11 pm

I need to do the bonfire trick. For some reason I have not parted company with the $10K or so of tapes & books. Still all sit on my bookshelf. Which is also incredibly embarrassing and a reason I don't have much company over (sort of like keeping your dead mother in the attic or something). :P

The big reason is I so bought in to the "hope" part of the schtick. They fed me hope for the future and I ate it up in large doses. Once I finally realized they were only out to screw me it hurt like hell and pissed me off. So I guess I'm still somehow clinging on to this hope even though I know there is none to be had in Scn.

I gotta get rid of this crap. :?

Barky

Hubbard's Mushroom
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Hubbard's Mushroom » Wed Nov 02, 2005 2:13 pm

KWS is good too. - StevieRayFan

lol.....On this board it's not KWS...
It's KSW!

Off to the RPF with you!

Sarah

Post by Sarah » Wed Nov 02, 2005 2:23 pm

Me too Barky.

I have 2 big boxes full of lectures and coursepacks.

Maybe we could make a "burn/destroy your Scientology materials DAY" .

Fires lit up at the same time across the globe - Wouldn't that be cool!

Sarah

barky

Post by barky » Wed Nov 02, 2005 2:38 pm

Could we, like, arrange the fires so, from space, it would read "Kiss My Ass, DM" or something??? :wink:

Barky

lucy skywalker

Post by lucy skywalker » Wed Nov 02, 2005 4:15 pm

Bon-Fires across the globe is a great idea!
Could we, like, arrange the fires so, from space, it would read "Kiss My Ass, DM" or something???
Barky this would be paramontly cool. :lol:

I gave some books/course packs to a fellow critic to review. The other ton of books/tapes are boxed and in storage.

Barky, at least box those things up. It really does help to get them out of sight. :D

lucy

barky

Post by barky » Wed Nov 02, 2005 4:54 pm

Good idea. I'll do that tonight. :)

Barky

Hubbard's Mushroom

Post by Hubbard's Mushroom » Wed Nov 02, 2005 5:00 pm

"Please Send Me Your Unwanted Scientology Materials!

For many months, I've been asking folks to send me their Scientology mail.

Well, now I'm asking for whatever you've got that you don't want anymore.

If you have ANY Scientology-related literature or paraphernalia, I would be most grateful if you'd donate it to me.

I'm especially interested in

* magazines
* newsletters
* course packs
* books (although I have several, so you may want to check with me before sending them)
* tape packs (although, again, I have several already)
* policy letters
* tech bulletins

There are lots of other things that could be useful, too. In working on the Lisa McPherson Files ( http://www.lisafiles.com ), I've come across some stats graphs Lisa did while on staff. If you have anything like that, that can tell me, for example, what a particular stat was for the org you were at at the time.

I'd love course packs because at some point I'd like to write up some short summaries of various Scientology courses.

Really, any Scn material you've got that you don't want anymore could be TREMENDOUSLY useful in my research.

I swap duplicate material with other archivists, so even if I already have something, it'll probably go to a good home eventually.
What Do You Get Out Of This?

Well, I freely share the results of my research on my web sites. Although much of the material I've gotten hasn't yet been analyzed, a great deal of it will ultimately provide material for my sites.

For critics and practicing Scientologists alike, your donation of materials related to stats (completions, income, and so on) will help us all acquire some hard data on how Scientology is doing. What I've analyzed so far is at http://www.truthaboutscientology.com/stats/ .

For practicing Scientologists, your donation of Scn materials can help me with my project documenting alterations to the tech. (Of course, if you have old and new copies of materials, you can help even more by doing a comparison and sending me the results to post on the site.) What I've got so far is at http://www.truthaboutscientology.com/alter/ .

While I have my own list of priorities for the many many projects I'm working on, I encourage people donating materials to let me know if they have requests for information to be posted on my sites.

So clean out those closets and go through the stuff in your garage!

Please send whatever Scientology stuff you no longer want to:

Kristi Wachter
2443 Fillmore St #202
San Francisco, CA 94115
USA

Remember, if you're mailing from the US, you can save a LOT of money on postage by mailing materials via Media Mail. This cheap rate is only good for printed matter and recorded materials, so please, no e-meters, lapel buttons, or personal notes in Media Mail packages. (See http://www.usps.com for more on Media Mail.)

Thank you very much for whatever you'd care to send. It's all tremendously helpful in my research.

I couldn't do it without you." - Kristi Wachter

radieux

Post by radieux » Wed Nov 02, 2005 9:34 pm

I threw out all of my Scientology booklets and such except for my $50 copy (goddamn, I was naïve) of Science of Survival.

I read it in about a day last summer and haven't really touched it since. It still has the chart. I want to get rid of it but would prefer it be put to use debunking the cult than combusting. Any ideas?

K'Z'K

Post by K'Z'K » Thu Nov 03, 2005 12:30 am

Burning your old Scn books can certainly be theraputic, and I wouldn't stop anyone who wants to do it. However, they are a valuable resource for critics, especially those with no personal experience. My little library of Scn books came from used book stores and ex-Scns. My copy of Dianetics, I'm proud to say, cost me 50 cents--and the money went to charity. I bought several books from an individual who saw fit to include a Xenu leaflet. Since some of the quotes from these books are nearly unbelievable, I like that I can verify them with the primary source.

I'd say sell the darn things. You may want to list them on eBay or something, but the paranoid in me says OSA would be watching. Mention it here or ars, make the deal privately. There may be a used bookstore nearby that will take them (or not--my old favorite didn't), but if you want to virtually guarantee a critic gets them, sell them yourself. Or donate them to Kristi Wachter. I'd offer to buy whatever I don't already have, but I'm a grad student. What little money I have needs to go towards things like rent and food--besides, I already have SoS. :)

-K'Z'K

barky

Post by barky » Thu Nov 03, 2005 12:34 am

I'm not particularly afraid of OSA when selling my stuff. None of it is particularly damning, and I don't have an e-meter so they can't snuff me for that.

Or is there some other risk I'm not aware of? I mean, all of my stuff is in the Library of Congress (it's not "supersecret OT stuff").

Barky

StevieRayFan

Post by StevieRayFan » Thu Nov 03, 2005 12:40 am

It’s not the first time for me. There were two boxes of stuff found in the attic last year, before we moved. Over the years, most of the other stuff was either burned or thrown out, but this final batch was kindling for other household garbage. The photos were taken for the pure joy of it.

<smile> KWS = Kenny Wayne Shepard <smile>

Sarah

Post by Sarah » Thu Nov 03, 2005 1:46 am

I have send Kristi W. stuff a couple of times.
But it costs quite a lot to send heavy things like books and lectures across the Atlantic :(

I have been considering donating my books and lectures to the FZ center here in Copenhagen. I find it really hard to burn books and destroy tapes in large numbers (althought I earlier today suggested we make a global bon-fire).

Destroying things that are of value to someone else - is that okay?
Do any of you have considerations on that, or is it just me?

Sarah

K'Z'K

Post by K'Z'K » Thu Nov 03, 2005 2:47 am

Or is there some other risk I'm not aware of?
Nah, I'm just being paranoid. They don't seem to care about books being sold, probably thinking that people will be drawn to CoS by them.
Destroying things that are of value to someone else - is that okay?
Do any of you have considerations on that, or is it just me?
It's your stuff, go ahead and burn it if you want to. It may have potential value to someone else, but it's yours. Destroying your own stuff is absolutely fine. So is selling it or giving it away. Though composting it might be fun (books are just paper, after all...).

-K'Z'K

barky

Post by barky » Thu Nov 03, 2005 4:53 am

Recycling is probably preferable. :wink:

But not nearly as satisfying. :twisted:

I'll catalog the stuff I have and maybe see if Kristi is interested.

Barky

Ladybird

Post by Ladybird » Thu Nov 03, 2005 6:41 am

I thought at first that all this stuff was so valuable, but in the real world, you would be lucky to get 2 cents on the dollar.

Then, after I learned what a scam cult scientology is, I would consider it an overt to sell or donate this mind/soul poison to anyone who might beleive it.

Almost all my stuff including 5 e-meters and a full library is gathering dust in my garage, except when I drag something out for a reference. I did go on a rant and burned a bunch of stuff a couple years ago.

Thank God I kept some of them because there is nothing more damning to scientology than the books of Hubbard and his very own words. Plus my old Vols prove the alterations DM and RTC are making, in violation of their own sacred scriptures like "KSW" and "Technical Degrades"

Ladybird

Return to “Your story from inside Scientology”