My story from my Exit Therapy

Share your personal experiences with others. We're not here to judge or criticise, but to share and support.

Moderator: Dorothy

Wieber

Post by Wieber » Mon May 12, 2008 5:30 am

From my recollection of my own experience and from that of others and from reading things on the message boards I have come to this conclusion. The times when people “in” scientologyland achieved the most success in what they were doing were times when they did not use the so called “technology” as delineated by Lafayette Ronald hubbard. (Look at that. The word processor capitalized certain names as I typed them.)

At one time I was making and sending out a newsletter to “field staff members” to encourage them to promote scientology. One of the features of everything issued by scientologyland is to include quotes and excerpts written by L. R. I did this. For each quote I included a detailed reference as to where the quote came from.

After three or four issues of this newsletter being sent out a person who had achieved operating thetan level three came into the “org” seeking me out. The reason he had come in was because I had included detailed references to the L. R. Hubbard quotes.

He said that he thought that scientologyland may have started to become worthwhile because of this. I had to tell him that the inclusion of detailed references to quotations wasn’t because of an edict or policy letter from L. R. Hubbard but was there because of my feelings on the matter. “No, it isn’t policy. It’s just me.”

He looked disappointed and left. Mind you he didn’t get away without first having to spend forty-five minutes with a registrar who had also achieved operating thetan level three.

Just so you know. Operating thetan level three involves Xenu, volcanoes, hydrogen bombs and religious implanting. Also, just so you know. All of the so called technology of L. R. Hubbard is horseshit and produces no positive effect for anyone. This is especially true of the so called confidential upper level material.

The above is one example. There are myriad others. If those who have been “in” and those who are “in” examine those times when they achieved the most impressive results, I have a feeling that for the majority of those times you will have been doing what you knew or what you had concluded and that the so called “technology” had not been a part of what you were doing or had been a very small part of it.
“Think wrongly if you please, but in all cases think for yourself.”
Doris Lessing

Wieber

Post by Wieber » Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:29 pm

I started telling this one friend about my involvement in scientology about a year ago. He'd heard of it but didn't know much about it. Over the course of the last year in casual conversations I have been telling him about various aspects of scientology.

Last week as I was explaining 'stats' to him, he said, "Every time you tell me about that organization I get a stronger urge to . . . " Let's just say he described some nasty things he would like to do.

As of yesterday, he became an activist and is now part of Anonymous. He'll be taking part in the next picket. Expect him.
Doris Lessing

Wieber

Post by Wieber » Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:13 am

The Thief in the 'Org.'

One Friday I came into the 'org' for my pay. I got something like sixty-seven cents. I was disappointed. I put the money in my pocket and walked out of the division three room. I walked along a bit and put my hand in my pocket and found a five dollar bill that I didn't know I had - cool. But where did that come from.

Just then the EO who had been my divisional secretary some time back came up to me and asked me to go with him. We went to a little room where he had an e-meter set up (a really advanced Mk4 - they should use the mark 4 case with the new guts and sell it as a nostalgia piece - back to the story). He went through the routine - "I am not auditing you," blah, blah.

Then he revealed to me there had been a number of thefts of cash from drawers and I was one of the prime suspects because my unit was so low. So he asked me if I had stolen anything. I said no. My needle floated so I passed the check, but he asked me if there was something I was thinking about. I told him about the five dollars and he said I created it - cool - coffee and cigarettes assured in the near future.

So then I started hearing about this on the rumor mill. The LRH Comm had money in a drawer and it was taken. The executive director, the division two secretary, the director of tech services, someone in Qual - whoever was taking money was hitting everywhere in the 'org' and having a good time doing it. The amounts ranged from $20 to a little over $100.

This went on for several weeks. Meantime the cognitive dissonance was starting to settle in on a few people. We have OTs, so, huh? How could someone out ethics like that be around for such a long time and not blow? How come this hasn't shown up with e-meter checks?

Then one day someone or some people in HCO (Hubbard Communications Office) laid a trap. The put a marked $20 bill in a drawer in one of the offices in the HCO area and checked it about every five minutes. They had people at the exits of the 'org.'

I had been out body routing and came in near the end of the day org shift to drop off my clip board and umbrella, when a loud voice from below bellowed something. The guys at the exits put everyone in the org into a line. The line led to a room in HCO. When I got to the room I was told to empty all my pockets and turn them inside out, which I did. "Permission to leave."

"Thanks."

I thought that whoever had taken the marked $20 bill if they hadn't got away before the alarm went out, then they had plenty of time to stuff the bill into their drawers or otherwise hide it.

So everyone in the 'org' went through the line to have their pockets, purses, and bags checked and no one had the marked $20 bill.

I got my committee of evidence shortly after that and was routed off staff. As far as I know whoever the thief was, he or she was never caught.
Doris Lessing

Wieber

Post by Wieber » Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:38 pm

This is one of those things that happens that is so small it tends to be relegated to the ignore file. A recent posting about disclaimers in scientology books brought it to mind.

I was taking the PTS/SP course and needed to buy a copy of Science of Survival for the course. This is one of the larger books in scientology and it is rather expensive. I can't remember the exact price of the book but it now lists on the Internet for $35.

The small org I was in did not stock many titles because the minimum order to get the discount is 25 copies of a single title. Books like science of survival were purchased as needed from the bigger org in another city. The buyer paid for the book. The small org sent the money to the big org and the big org sent the book to the small org where the buyer received it.

The bookstore officer figured out how much the book and shipping and so on would cost. I gave him the money. He sent it off with the order for the book.

My copy of science of survival arrived wrapped in Saran Wrap, along with a receipt. When I unwrapped it I found another individual's name written in pen in the owner's line on the book plate page. I used white-out tape to cover up that name and wrote mine in it's place, but I was a little upset that I did not receive a completely pristine copy of the book.

Less than a year later I had left scientology, had read Barefaced Messiah and was "out." I was no longer a scientologist.

I received a letter from the local org. In it there was an invoice from the org from which I had ordered the book. The invoice was a bill for an additional amount of money owing on science of survival. The amount asked for was less than $2. It was either for $1.43 or $1.74, something like that.

Well, beat me daddy eight to the bar! I can only guess that this was an attempt to get me to phone up and discuss the bill with someone in the local org. This would get me back into being handled, and the staff of the orgs are very good at that. I ignored the bill and didn't phone anyone. I won't be paying that invoice.
Doris Lessing

Benny's Friend

Post by Benny's Friend » Fri Aug 15, 2008 7:01 am

Wieber, on the verge of your 3,000th post here, I just want to say that you are a wonderful human being, and if you post 3,000 more times, I hope to read every single one.

Your friend,

BF
The more who speak out, the more who get out.

RattieUK

Post by RattieUK » Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:54 pm

ditto

Wieber

Post by Wieber » Sun Aug 17, 2008 1:53 am

Thank you, Benny's Friend and RattieUK. I appreciate your sentiment.
Doris Lessing

Don Carlo

Post by Don Carlo » Sun Aug 17, 2008 6:02 am

Wieber, reading you gives me hope that my Scientology relatives, one of whom is a public member and one of whom is staff, will wake up and leave... SOON. Thanks for your writing.

Ladybird

Post by Ladybird » Sun Aug 17, 2008 8:22 pm

Ahhh, the good old days, being "handled" As I recall the Outer Orgs (Class 4 and 5) had to take possesion of and pay for a certain quota of books. Every org is required to maintain a minimum stock, per LRH ED regarding "Minimum book Stocks" or something like that saying that all orgs and missions had to have a library of books available at all times and were required to update that library every time the dainty dimunitive Junior High drop out now in charge of the cult made up something "new".

Roight!!!
[i]"There is nothing as wild in the books of Man as will probably happen here on Earth...it will happen and be allowed to happen simply because all this is so incredible that nobody will even think of stopping it until it is far, far too late"~LRH[/i]

Wieber

Post by Wieber » Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:26 am

I want to talk a bit about dianetics and dianetic auditing. This may take a few entries because as I go I may have to gather my thoughts and recollections.

Right now the "orgs" and "volunteer ministers" deliver what is called "book one auditing." The term "book one" is often used with reference to dianetics: the modern science of mental health. L. Ron Hubbard was very clever or very manipulative in writing that book, because, for all the words and pages in that book one cannot do "book one auditing" from the paltry instructions in that book. In order to do "book one auditing" one needs auxiliary instruction, which is available in the "orgs." I believe this was Hubbard's intent.

When I was on staff and for some duration in that time period the technique that is now used and referred to as "book one auditing" was not used in scientology organizations. The "dianetic auditing" as referenced by the "grade chart" is quite different than the technique, such as it is, described in dianetics: the modern science of mental health.
Doris Lessing

Wieber

Post by Wieber » Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:44 pm

The Fund Raising Event

The little org where I was a public person taking services had a jag going to buy a building in which an ideal org could go and where the org could be made saint hill size.

At the beginning of this ideas for fund raising were solicited – a kind of a brain storming routine. I submitted several as I’m sure others did as well. In retrospect I have a feeling all the ideas were dust binned after which the “successful actions” were put into action, or as they say in scientology, “slammed in.”

One of these successful actions is the fund raising event. The “OT committee” attached to the org organized one of these.

It started with the announcement that there would be a fund raising event. Then posters went up and fliers were handed out. These were the same document on an 8.5 x 11 sheet of paper that someone had done up in a word processor, printed out on a cheap printer and then photocopied.

The fund raising event would be in room 862 at a local hotel. (Note that I am changing the details on this, such as names and room numbers although I am staying close to the narrative.) The poster/flier said that the price of admission is $10 and drinks and refreshments will be provided. The event was on a Saturday after the org closing time so everyone would have no excuse to avoid it and the student points stat would not suffer.

Tickets to the event were sold ahead of time. These were printed on the type of business card stock you can buy in business supply stores. Of course, many phone calls were made to each person “on the org’s lines” to confirm that they would attend.

The room was one of the cheaper single occupancy hotel rooms and was actually on a much lower floor than the 8th. The beds had been removed and two or three trestle tables had been put end to end and covered with a white table cloth. On a side board by the wall there was a coffee percolator, a veggie platter, a tray of sandwiches, and some bags of nachos and some dip.

There was not a lot of room to move around. To get to a seat one had to walk sideways. If someone was already seated and had to be passed body compression was required.

The door to the room was at one corner. There was a small narrow passage from the door to the room. At the end of the room where the door was and at the narrow end of the table there was an easel set up as a flip board with cheap newsprint type paper attached to it.

People arrived, got something to drink and some food and sat at the table. Getting food and drink soon required body compression. The room filled up and the names of the people on the confirmation list were checked off. Eventually there were about sixteen public people, three OT committee members and a couple of staff members. There were also two guests from the bigger org in another city. One of them displayed his high rank in the organization every time he smiled revealing the four remaining teeth in his mouth.

The meeting started with a brief pep talk about how vitally important it was to buy a new building for a saint hill size ideal org. Included in the talk was the fact that the funding for this must come from the local area because that way the scientologists there would have a sense of ownership and this was of vital importance. Then the two people who were guests from the big org were introduced and they began to run the event.

The first thing they did was write the fund raising target number on the flip board at the top. I can’t remember the number though $70,000 comes to mind. It certainly wasn’t less than that. It may have been $90,000.

Then it was opened up for those present to pledge an amount. Hard Core Annette started by saying $1,000. The guy from the other org who wasn’t doing the talking wrote her name on the board with $1000 next to it. As he was writing her name on the board there was thunderous applause. This was followed with embarrassed silence and a generalized squeamish feeling.

(People in scientology typically engage in thunderous applause several times a day. They are very good at it and few other crowds of people can match them for pace and loudness.)

There was another little pep talk from the two people from the big org and one of them got out his little book in which he had written “LRH quotes.” He began to read quotes from L. Ron Hubbard that were supposed to be relevant to the fund raising at hand.

Then one of the organizers had the bright idea of going around the table. In turn the person’s name was written on the board and they were asked for a pledge. John Wesley Harding across the table gave me an out by pledging $40. So when it came to me I matched him with a pledge of $40 and that’s all the evening cost me.

(In retrospect I suspect that John Wesley Harding was an infiltrator. That’s another story and I am not going into it now. I probably won’t ever go into it because that’s his story and if he was infiltrating he doesn’t need any clues about his activities given out here.)

At the end of going around the table all the names of all the people in the room with amounts next to their name were on the board. The pledge amounts, other than those from John and me, ranged from $100 to $3000. Toothless Guy added up the amounts and the total came to something like $10,000 or $12,000. This was not enough and in today’s scientology “targets MUST be met!” LRH.

Hard Core Annette raised her pledge to $3,000 and perhaps something extra. This led to another round of pledging, wherein most of the people raised their pledge and also promised something extra. At the end of that there was something like $17,000 or $21,000 on the board.

Then someone got the “bright idea” to phone people who weren’t there for whatever reason (and the god of cell phones was praised (my joke. scientologists do not praise false gods.)) One of the OT committee members phoned five or six people and each one of them came through with varying amounts. Their names and numbers were added to the board.

I have to add here that Toothless Guy continued to read from his book of LRH quotes about every two to three minutes throughout the event. It happened so much that I forgot to add it in. Just think of someone reading an LRH quote out loud after each of the sentences in this story and you will more or less have an idea of what it was like. Oh, also keep in mind that after every pledge that had four or more digits in it there was thunderous applause.

After the phone calls the total was higher but still not near to the amount desired. Hard Core Annette offered another $2,000 if Toothless Guy and his buddy, Zog, would sing a song. They did. Some people laughed. She pledged. This led to another round of pledging from the people there for the song. The total was still not within reach.

Sea Org Bitch raised a hand and said, “I have an idea for a game we could play. We can put amounts onto the ‘something extra.’” They started with Hard Core Annette who came up with something like $1,500 more; then around the table again. At this point the target was very close to being reached.

The people who had been phoned earlier were all phoned again. The amount went up again. Finally someone suggested one of the public who was in the medical field. Their pledge took the amount over the target amount. There was a big “grade three” sigh. (Grade three on the “grade chart” is commonly referred to as relief release.)

As we were getting up to leave now that leaving was permitted one of the OT committee members said the target amount should have been higher. I guess that was to prepare people with a foreshadowing of what was to come.
Doris Lessing

Wieber

Post by Wieber » Sun Oct 12, 2008 5:47 am

So, back to dianetic auditing.

For those of you who haven't been "in" and who may be interested I am going to describe the procedure used for dianetics. This will be as of the time I had the drug rundown and dianetic auditing.

If the procedure has changed or if I tell it incorrectly in spots, I hope those of you who had the technical training will help out. It has been a long time since I had the auditing and I did not get the training to do it.

I should start off with a brief description of how book one auditing works so you can make a comparison but sorry, on that I don't have a clue. All I can say is that it is quite different.

There is some stuff done before dianetic auditing gets underway. What this stuff results in is a list of unwanted sensations. An example of such a list would be: a pressure in my right lower back, an intermittent itch on the bridge of my nose, and a right royal pain in my ass. (Hey you're not supposed to evaluate and Davey wouldn't like you even thinking that.)

The auditor then reads the list to the person being audited and selects an item that got a "read." A "read," as I understand it occurs when there is a sudden motion to the right of the needle on the e-meter.

So let's say the "read" is associated with "an intermittent itch on the bridge of my nose." That's "the item."

There's more "technical" stuff here. The "item" is "run" on a number of "flows." When I did this it was "run" on three "flows." As I understand it this number has been increased to at least four.

The "flows" are an indication of who did the action that resulted in the "item," which is also called a "somatic." They are: "first flow - others to self;" "second flow - self to others;" "third flow - others to others;" "fourth flow - self to self." The "item" is "run" on those four "flows" in that order.

If you don't mind I'm going to break here. I'll continue this soon.
Doris Lessing

Wieber

Post by Wieber » Sun Oct 12, 2008 8:11 am

While I'm telling you this stuff I am concerned that someone reading it will think it's a good idea, their might be something to it, or that it appears to be interesting. Let me give you two warnings. Do not attempt this at home. Stay away from any scientology organization of any kind.

Alright.

We have an "item" as a result of a "read." To cut down on the typing requirement I'm going to shorten it to "an itchy nose." (In scientology what I just did is called "alter-is" and it's an "indicator" that someone is a "suppressive person.")

This is how the "engram chain" associated with that "item" gets "audited."

The "auditor" gives the "command," "LOCATE AN INCIDENT OF OTHERS CAUSING YOU AN ITCHY NOSE." (I'm going to put the "commands" in capital letters to make it easy to differentiate them from the scientology terms I am already putting in quotes. I hope I don't miss any.)

So the "preclear" looks around and finds something and says, "Yeah, I got something."

"WHEN WAS IT?"

The "preclear" says a date in some form.

"WHAT IS ITS DURATION?"

The "preclear" gives an answer, such as, "Twelve minutes." The "duration" given for the "incident" is supposed to "turn on" the "pictures" or make them available to the "preclear."

"GO TO THE BEGINNING OF THE INCIDENT AND TELL ME WHEN YOU'RE THERE."

The "preclear" does that and says so to the "auditor."

Now here's where my memory gets me into trouble. The command to go through the incident the first time is different from the command to go through it after the first time. But then you aren't going to be doing this so it shouldn't be a big deal.

"MOVE THROUGH THE INCIDENT TO A POINT IN TIME TWELVE MINUTES LATER."

The "preclear" supposedly reexperiences the events of the "engramic" incident. When they finish they say so. By the way the "auditor" acknowledges the "preclear" after they say anything. They'll say, "GOOD" or "OK" of "FINE." I'm leaving that part out as it gets very repetitive.

"TELL ME WHAT HAPPENED."

The "preclear" tells the auditor what they experienced.

Every incident is gone through at least twice.

The "preclear" says they've done that.

"MOVE THROUGH THE INCIDENT UNTIL YOU COME TO THE END."

The "preclear" does and tells the auditor that they have done it.

"TELL ME WHAT HAPPENED."

The "preclear" tells what they experienced.

"IS THE INCIDENT ERASING OR GETTING MORE SOLID?"

There's a branch here. If the "preclear" says it's "erasing" then the "auditor" says:

and the "preclear" goes through it again and tells what happened and the "auditor" asks if it is "erasing" or "getting more solid."

If it is "getting more solid" then an "earlier similar incident" is asked for.

"LOCATE AN EARLIER INCIDENT OF OTHERS CAUSING YOU AN ITCHY NOSE."

This command may have the phrase "earlier similar incident" but since it is asking for the same item again the word "similar" may be redundant.

The "preclear" finds an incident and says so. This is followed with:

"WHEN WAS IT?"

"WHAT IS THE DURATION?"

"MOVE TO THE BEGINNING OF THE INCIDENT AND TELL ME WHEN YOU'RE THERE."

and so on.

Eventually the "preclear" will have a "cognition." The auditor has to be alert to catch one of those. The "preclear" doesn't usually say, "My cognition is . . ." For the "process" to be at an end the requirement is a "cognition," "very good indicators" and a "floating needle."

In this case the "preclear" might say, "Man that was a big mosquito. I've only seen them like that in the museum." The "auditor then looks quickly at the "preclear" to see if they're smiling. Usually the "preclear" will laugh and be in a euphoric trance state. Then the "auditor" looks at the needle on the dial of the e-meter and if it is "floating" he "indicates" that to the "preclear."

"YOUR NEEDLE IS FLOATING."

Or he might just say, phonetically, "EFF-EN."

At that point the "auditor" may "end the session" or he may go on to the next "flow." Depending on circumstances it could be a very long time between "running" one "flow" and the next on the same "item."

If they do run the next "flow," which in this case is "flow two, self to others," the auditor will say,

"LOCATE AN INCIDENT OF YOU CAUSING OTHERS AN ITCHY NOSE."

There you have it - "dianetic auditing" the way it is done by an "auditor" in a "session" that is part of an "intensive." That's from my memory of it.

I have more to say on the subject but that's enough for now.
Doris Lessing

Wieber

Post by Wieber » Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:04 am

By the way, the guy who "audited" me on most of my "drug rundown" is out. I saw him holding a sign in one of the protest videos. I think that's very cool.

In dianetics, the "technical" name for the series of "incidents" one runs progressively back in time is a "chain."

One peculiar thing that happens to many people "audited" on dianetics is what I have called "the long chain." I don't know if Hubbard ever wrote about this. I know that three or four people have encountered it because contrary to policy, advice and codes they talked about their "case." That's a big no-no in scientology and I should have written knowledge reports. I didn't and now it's too late; woo woo!

(Oh, wait, I'm discussing my "case" here. Be sure to send a knowledge report to my really thick folder.)

To be truthful there were very few people that I knew in scientology who never discussed their "case" or their "past track." By "past track" I mean incidents and events from their "past lives." I knew three people who were Henry VIII and four people who were Julius Caesar. I heard about a guy at Flag who said he was Rommel. I never heard of anyone who claimed to have been Napoleon, or Jesus Christ, though two or three people said they had dealings with them. (Whoa! Does the fun never stop?)

A "long chain" is a series of "incidents" connected to an item that goes very far back in time and comprises a great many "incidents." For myself there was anxiety "running" any "chain" where the answer to "When was it?" was in the vicinity of 75 million years ago.

A long chain would go incredibly far back in time. We are talking several times beyond the big bang that theoretically started this universe. The typical cognition for this - I know of at least two people who said this - was "If I go any further back I'm going to fall off the edge."

When I was "in" I had absolute "certainty" that all this stuff was real. Now I do not have that "certainty." I will say this. I have met a great many people who were never "in" scientology and who were never "audited" and yet were beautiful, personable, intelligent, skilled and successful people.
Doris Lessing

Wieber

Post by Wieber » Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:38 am

I have been on-again-off-again about telling the next part of this but I figure what the hell. Who will it hurt? Up to about ten seconds ago I was of the opinion that I was unique with this, but then it occurs to me that many others have probably experienced something like it.

We weren't supposed to talk about what happened in sessions, but we often did. I remember talking about "past lives" with one guy and we agreed that we preferred the middle position when rowing a galley. Then again I think we had both seen Ben-Hur, know what I mean?

On the last action on the "drug rundown" I "ran" a really long "chain." If you've seen the video where Hubbard's death was announced you may remember the guy who held up a page with a lot of number on it and said it was a date. Pah! And it got an ovation?

I think we (the "auditor" and I) must have been on that one "chain" for about four or five hours. This thing went so far back I started making up numbers.

"When was it?"

"Forty-three kurshmilliozin years ago."

"Thank you."

It ended with something that was seemingly innocuous. I said, "I really don't understand what's going on here, but I'll tell you there aren't any earlier "engrams" at all."

"Your needle's floating."

Oh, look at that: "basic basic" on the "whole track" on "all dynamics."

Per dianetics: the modern science of mental health, "basic basic" is the first incident in the "reactive mind." When it is encountered and blown, the person being "audited" is then a "clear." When "basic basic" is "run out" the rest of the "bank" blows.

Well, I must say, I did not see any sign of Xenu or volcanoes going up in a hydrogen bomb sphere. I need to wear glasses in order to see things sharply and to be able to read. My skin condition did not clear up, but thankfully I have since had it correctly diagnosed and the treatment is effective.

What I am trying to say, here is the so called "tech" is a load, people.

The song, We Can Talk, by The Band comes to mind right now. I couldn't find a decent clip to send you to, so I found a copy of the lyrics, which I will reproduce here, as fair use. Reading them over, they seem really appropriate for ex scientologists even though that wasn't the original intent behind them.
We Can Talk
by Richard Manuel

We can talk about it now
It's that same old riddle only starting from the middle
I'd fix it but I don't know how
Well, we could try to reason but you might think it's treason

One voice for all
Echoing along the hall
Don't give up on father clock
We can talk about it now

Come, let me show you how
To keep the wheels turning you've got to keep the engine churning