Declaration of Caroline Letkeman

Share your personal experiences with others. We're not here to judge or criticise, but to share and support.

Moderator: Dorothy

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
caroline

Declaration of Caroline Letkeman

Post by caroline » Thu Feb 07, 2008 4:47 am

With the current discussion on Scientology's disconnection practice, I thought it'd be a good time to post this declaration. It makes me heartsick every time I hear of another family broken up by this evil cult.
DECLARATION OF CAROLINE LETKEMAN

I, Caroline Letkeman, declare as follows:

1. I am over the age of 18 years.

2. The statements herein are of my own personal knowledge and if called upon as a witness I can testify competently thereto.

3. In November 2000, I entered the LMT LITERATI 2000 contest and submitted my essay called Scientology: Soul Hackers under the pseudonym “antivirus.” That essay was awarded second prize in the contest and was posted on the Lisa McPherson Trust website at the following url: http://www.lisatrust.net/literaticontes ... virus.html. The contest closed on November 30, 2000, and the essay was posted soon after that date.

4. The entire reason for my posting of the essay under a pseudonym was to remain anonymous. I carefully refrained from including personal information in that essay that would allow Scientology to identify me. Scientology strictly enforces their internal policy that requires their members to disconnect from critics, regardless of familial connections. My adult daughter, Ann Reinertsen, is a Scientologist, and I was very concerned about the steps that Scientology would take to destroy my relationship with Ann should they became aware of my critical essay.

5. As any Scientologist in good standing, Ann believes that her spiritual eternity depends upon strict adherence to the policies of Scientology. Those policies include the purging from their relationships anyone who is openly critical of their beliefs. Scientology labels their members “Potential Trouble Source” (PTS) when they have such connections. The PTS persons are dealt with in Scientology’s Ethics department and are coercively forced to change their relationship and associations in accordance with Hubbard’s policies, before they can continue with their Scientology training and counseling. No “Potential Trouble Source” can receive auditing or training in Scientology, except for that which is designed strictly to alter their PTS situation. In the event that the member is connected with a critic, the only solution for the member is to disconnect from them. If the member fails to disconnect, they are refused Scientology training or auditing. They also run the risk of being labeled a “suppressive person” themselves by reason of non-compliance with Scientology’s disconnection policy regarding critics. L. Ron Hubbard covers many of these policies in his book called Introduction to Scientology Ethics.

6. Although we live on opposite sides of the US, Ann and I enjoyed a loving mother-daughter relationship and communicated regularly by phone and e-mail up to January 20, 2001. At no time prior to January 20, 2001 did I discuss with Ann my disillusionment with Scientology, because I feared repercussions with Scientology, and the tremendous pressure they would bring to bear on Ann to disconnect from me. I specifically did not mention anything to her about the essay that I had written. I did not speak with any Scientology member in good standing about the essay; they would have been forced by policy to alert Scientology officials, which would set in motion exactly what I was trying to avoid. I also refrained from using or making known my pseudonym of “antivirus” to any members of Scientology in good standing.

7. Alt.religion.scientology is an Internet newsgroup frequented by both specially trained Scientologists and critics of Scientology. By specially trained Scientologists I wish to point out that lay Scientologists are enjoined from reading critical material about Scientology on the Internet. Scientology software exists that filters out critical Internet content and Scientology management encourages Scientologists to install this software on their computers.

8. The Scientology personnel that frequent alt.religion.scientology are to my understanding trained by the Office of Special Affairs of Scientology to dead agent in various ways the messages posted by critics. I do not have first hand knowledge of this ongoing OSA project. However, Tory Bezazian, now a critic, has recently posted to alt.religion.scientology her account of her experience with that OSA project while she was still a member. In her statements she recounted that she was involved in procuring “throwaway” e-mail addresses for use by OSA operatives on alt.religion.scientology.

9. I had known of alt.religion.scientology prior to entering the contest and had visited a website a few times to browse some of the messages being posted there. This is a very active and prolific group, with many heated arguments going back and forth between critics and Scientologists. I subscribed to the newsgroup in April 2001.

10. A Scientologist with the e-mail address of "AJ" < AJ_member@newsguy.comThis e-mail address is being protected from spam bots, you need JavaScript enabled to view it > posted several messages between November 2000 and January 12, 2001 with respect to an effort he was making to identify the person who wrote Scientology: Soul Hackers. On 1/12/2001 “AJ” announced to alt.religion.scientology, “It took some work to piece together all of the clues in Anti-Virus' essay but I can confirm that the individual who placed second in the LMT 2000 Literati Contest is Caroline Reinertsen. That's the name I knew her by some years ago. Hopefully she will declare this income on her tax return.”

11. I don’t know any person with the real name of “AJ”, and the person who posted the message has never identified himself or herself. “Reinertsen” is my married name. I reverted back to my maiden name when I divorced Eric Reinertsen. This was shortly after I left the Sea Organization in 1988.

12. I understand now from reviewing previous alt.religion.scientology messages, that OSA personnel use word analysis software to identify anonymous posters. I have seen at least one other OSA post to alt.religion.scientology that showed the results of the software they used for identifying another anonymous critic.

13. I do not have first hand knowledge of what other actions OSA may have taken to confirm my identity.

14. On January 20, 2001, Ann called me and told me that she was getting handled in the Ethics Office. I immediately realized from her voice that she was very upset. She said that the Ethics Officer had shown her a Scientology ethics issue stating that I had written a bad essay about Scientology and that this was now on the Internet. She also told me that she knew I had attempted suicide. She asked me if it was true, asking it in an accusatory way that one would ask someone to admit guilt for a known act. I did not answer her question at that point but instead told her that I would call her back in a few minutes, which I did. In the interim few minutes, I composed myself in the best way I could as now I knew the worst had happened. I was absolutely shocked that these two accusations would be connected in any way, and that the ethics issue would include such distorted and damaging information about my past. I was not going to have the opportunity to calmly explain to Ann about my disillusionment with Scientology in my own way and time, and I was also now forced into a defensive position because of whatever the Ethics officer had announced to her. I also knew from Ann’s statements that Scientology had painted a picture of me to her that I was currently insane, and that anything I said to her would be viewed as the words of an insane person. I knew that anything I said to Ann would be relayed back to the Ethics officer, as she was calling me as part of her Ethics handling. I also suspected that an Ethics officer or other Scientology personnel were monitoring my conversation with Ann as Ann did not want me to call back in a few minutes—she wanted to have the conversation right then and there. Regardless, I did call her back in a few minutes. At that time she asked me again to admit that I had written the essay, which I did. When I told her that the information she was given by the Ethics officer referred to a situation that occurred years before I became involved with Scientology. Ann seemed very surprised to hear that, but she was so upset overall that I was not able to fully establish and correct the facts that she was given and shown by the Ethics officer.

15. In January 1975, I became involved in Scientology in Vancouver, B.C., when I was nineteen years old. My pre-Scientology history was the subject of a petition that I was required to write to Jane Kember, head of the Guardian’s Office Worldwide in order to continue with the first Scientology course that I had already purchased and enrolled on. The purpose of the petition was to allow Scientology’s intelligence arm to consider my history and thereby establish my eligibility for Scientology services, according to Scientology’s policy on these matters. Jane Kember approved my petition and I was cleared to receive Scientology services.

16. Subsequent to the initial petition, I wrote at least two other petitions for security clearance per Scientology’s policies on security. For example, I wrote a petition to the Guardian (Jane Kember) for permission to join the Sea Organization. All petitions were approved, and I was told that I was not an “illegal preclear” by reason of my pre-Scientology history. I was given a high security clearance in Scientology’s elite organization, the “Sea Org.” I trained in Scientology’s confidential levels and was posted as a New Era Dianetics for OTs (NOTs) auditor, where I delivered Scientology’s confidential levels to paying Scientologists.

17. I had never before discussed this aspect of my past with Ann. Nor did I openly discuss with other Scientologists the details of my past. There are only a couple sources for my complete disclosure to Scientology organizations of my pre-Scientology history. The first of these sources would have been my petitions to The Guardian’s Office (now known as Office of Special Affairs). Another source would have been a very detailed confidential Life History form that upper management ordered all Scientology staff members to submit to upper Scientology management. I filled out a Life History form when I was a member of Scientology’s Sea Organization sometime between 1978 and 1983. At that time there was a project to update files on all staff members’ files. All staff members were ordered (under threat of Ethics penalties for non-compliance) to provide a detailed disclosure of such matters. That life history form also required that respondents provide information such as the names and current addresses of all their family members and extended family members, and the names and addresses of all past business and social connections. The questions requiring disclosure are very similar to an OSA form that was posted to alt.religion.scientology on 4/19/2001. The form is titled “Long Form ODC Checklist”, (ODC means “Overt Data Collection”.) A source for fragmented and second hand information of the details of my past would have been answers recorded by my Scientology counselors (auditors) during my confidential counseling in Scientology.

18. Scientology doctrine asserts that psychiatry and psychiatrists are the source and cause for mankind’s degradation—psychiatry is Scientology’s Public Enemy #1. There is tremendous stigma attached in Scientology to having any history of a mental nature--any minor association with psychiatry or history of having taken psychiatric drugs is made the subject of a petition, and interrogations with Scientology’s lie detector (called the e-meter) to verify the details of this involvement. For a person to become a committed Scientologist and then subsequently denied Scientology auditing is tantamount to being spiritually doomed. That Ann was told lies about my history was terribly cruel, in light of the tragic nature and psychological effect this would have for any Scientologist learning that her loved one could not go spiritually free. That Ann was told these lies about me in connection with the writing of my essay was cruel beyond words.

19. Some time early 1999, I first broke Scientology’s rule about not exposing myself to critical information about Scientology. In the breaking of Scientology’s “critical blackout” rule, I became aware of many incontrovertible facts about L. Ron Hubbard and of Scientology, facts that were absolutely appalling to me in a deeply personal way. I was utterly devastated when I came to realize that my committed contributions to Scientology were actually contributions to a dangerous and criminal organization.

20. Nevertheless, learning the truth about Hubbard and Scientology led me to the inevitable conclusion that I could no longer be part of Scientology. I agonized silently for months about how to communicate the truth to my daughter and to others. I felt a personal obligation to help correct the wrongs that I had done. I also felt a need to try and uncover the reasons why I had been so completely tricked and defrauded by Scientology, and why I had spent my entire adult life trapped in the mind control of Hubbard’s organization. Having been an advanced auditor with a good grasp of Hubbard’s technology, I needed to try and more completely decode the technical basis for the mind control of which I was both a victim and unwitting perpetrator. I felt that I had to come to a technical understanding of why the action of leaving Scientology did not resolve, but amplified the emotional pain I was experiencing. I knew from reading others stories on the Internet that mine was not a unique situation. The essay that I submitted to the Literati Contest 2000 was a summary of my ongoing research to that point.

I declare under penalty of perjury under the laws of the United States of America and the state of California that the foregoing is true and correct.

I declare under penalty of perjury under the laws of the United States of America and the state of California that the foregoing is true and correct.

Total pages: 4

Executed in Sunland, CA this 27th day of April 2001.

________________________________(signature)
Caroline Letkeman

Cherub2u
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Cherub2u » Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:28 am

Astounding Declaration, Caroline!
It grieves me still after 40 years that I was talked into doing same when I first entered Clamtology in 1966. I was run on some whole-track Search and Discovery auditing because I was practicing Sufi Chanting, and it was found out I knew my father in another lifetime and was told he was the reason I was having trouble with my current life.

I tried to "handle" him but he was quite upset with my leaving college, and my budding career as a fine artist, etc. etc. to join staff. Reporting his upsets with me to my Ethics Officer -- this confirmed it.. my father was an SP! -- and I was told to disconnect from him or I would be thrown off staff and never receive any further auditing. So I did.

I didnt speak to him for about 5 years and finally we got back together. I'd gone "OTVI" and was a "top" exec, but still I felt real stupid. I'd tried to patch things up but the rift was created and we hardly ever talked anymore, for years.

The last we spoke, some 19 years after I entered SCN, we'd gotten into an argument about something and suddenly he blurted out, in tears, how he was still very very upset for all the years I'd abandoned him, disconnected from him at 19 yrs old. Just saying "I'm sorry" doesnt cut it, you know.

He passed away before I'd a chance to clear anything up with him, leaving me to sort my own self out. It is certainly one of the great things I wish I could have changed, as a son of a loving father who needed me and instead I listened to SCN and dumped him, as an SP.

My God!! How could I have been soooooo blind!

I have however reached some great salvation with my own children and a numver of friends, so perhaps have made up some of that damage -- where ever he is now, I smile at him with love.

The Cherub

opter
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by opter » Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:36 pm

Caroline

I've read your declaration few times and every time I reread it, it brings tears to my eyes.

Cherub2u

Thank you for telling your story. This is a big part of making up for what happened with your father. You were brainwashed when you did it.
Now you are out and you tell your story and help others not to do the same mistake and doesn't it feel great!

Opter

fowimu

Post by fowimu » Thu Feb 07, 2008 4:39 pm

I'm so sorry about you and your daughter. I still worry that someone will figure out who I am and make my family disconnect. I never say anything negative about scientology to my family and try to keep my posts vague when I post about scientology.

Cherub2u

Post by Cherub2u » Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:17 pm

Dear FOWIMU
I totally totally understand where you are coming from. I went through the exact same thing for the first 1.5 years I was out. But the family thing was the hardest to do, when I finally let it be known to some friends and my immediate family. Rather than openly "attack" I simply said I'd had a revelation and found a new religion and was happy. The result was I became unexpectedly closer to my daughter because of my willingness and sincerity.
See what I wrote here:
viewtopic.php?t=24341&postorder=asc&start=15
and
viewtopic.php?p=289708&highlight=#289708

You have to do what you feel most sincere about doing and try, as best as you can, to move away from acting out of fear -- which doesnt mean ignoring obvious dangers and proceeding smartly :-)

The route I chose allowed my old identity to fade away from SCN goings and comings and hence not be "declared." I like being invisable. It's been 9 years and I talk to only one person (other than my daughter) as my old identity, who is still in SCN and knows and respects my true views. And it took me 8 years to finally trust that person -- another old family member. But:

Never do I forget that Clamtologists are like people in the Matrix, where an Agent can assume their form at will and attack. If she was ever threatened with loosing her "Spiritual Freedom" she'd give me up in a micro-second. I have to hope she will not get herself into that position.

Because of my well known previous identity it took me 5 years before I started posting here on the forum (since 2004) but I was lurking for years prior, until I felt "safe." Even so I still have changed a lot of timeline and events so my old identity cannot be easily recognized. Why make it easy? But I firmly believe it is important to lend the sincerity of our voices to this forum, which I really feel helps many many people we dont even know about, in the awakening and slow path to regaining their lives.

Some people after a number of years under their assumed names finally feel it a milestone to "come out of the closet" -- but this is not true for everyone, certainly not for me :-)

At the end of the day IMO it doesnt matter you are vague about your life as long as you feel safe to give the forum the results of your knowledge and wisdom, your new discoveries in your awakening and making a new life so others will feel free to follow our footsteps -- and finally become able to cut the bonds of the past and move into the future which truly awaits.

Cherub

magoo1

Post by magoo1 » Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:44 pm

Thank you Caroline for re-posting this!

I too am soooooooooo sorry about your daughter, and the loss of your
connection with her. I don't think there is any pain that is quite as deep
as a parent losing their own child, especially to the CULT of Scientology.

My hope, my prayers, my reason for speaking out IS because of families
such as yours, and thousands more I know who have lost their loved ones,
or stay "in" due to fear of losing their loved ones, as you and I both have.

A new day is coming-----and it's bright, it's strong, walls ARE breaking
down. May your daughter be one of the early ones who wakes up
in this sunshine directed their way. :angel:

My love to you and ALL :love5:

Tory/Magoo~~~8)

Ladybird

Post by Ladybird » Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:52 pm

Thank you so much for all you and Gerry have done Caroline. I read and use your website for reference often.

Why doesn't it occur to DM and the cult that if they would just respect the human rights of people and leave their families alone they would not be creating enemies and critics like us?

I found a couple of new videos that spoke without words what is screaming in my heart for all of us who have lost loved ones to the cult:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=nO_kcUCQS ... re=related

http://uk.youtube.com/user/voiceless7526

Just STOP breaking the law and hurting families, children and abusing the civil rights of your members, Scientology!

What is so hard about that?

Ladybird
[i]"There is nothing as wild in the books of Man as will probably happen here on Earth...it will happen and be allowed to happen simply because all this is so incredible that nobody will even think of stopping it until it is far, far too late"~LRH[/i]

ZenuEtrawl

Post by ZenuEtrawl » Fri Feb 08, 2008 1:48 am

Just STOP breaking the law and hurting families, children and abusing the civil rights of your members, Scientology!

What is so hard about that?
Scientology's power over people is made out of isolation. The CoS must have all the answers to everything, and nothing good can come out of the "wog" world. Thus there is little point in interacting with wogs unless it advances the aims of the CoS, and disconnection can be treated as a minor inconvenience.

The isolation is reinforced by making some parts of wogdom not just disinteresting, but criminally insane. Psychiatry, governments, critics, and others who do not go along with the program are not just looking at things differently, they are under the influence of beings who are pure evil, or are themselves pure evil. This not only generates complete polarization against an Orwellian enemy, which only Scientology can (and must) save the universe from, but it makes the penalty for disagreeing very grim. This is, after all, the very same threat that adolescent girls in fundamentalist Mormon communities face if they refuse to become their uncle's 5th wife, it should be quite sufficient to dissuade anyone from altrusitically criticizing the cult. Were it not for disconnection, I'm sure that many more of us would be here, speaking out, and that more who are still inside would be reading this.

Authoritarian systems require more than willing zombies, they can only persist if they have the ability to cause opponents to functionally cease to exist. If stoning or burning at the stake were options, I'm sure that they'd use them, but disconnection and assignment of "non-person" status is close enough to serve.

Dorthe

Post by Dorthe » Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:22 am

Dear Caroline

You helped me so much, when I decided to leave Scientology. Reading your essay had a great impact on me at the time. Hopefully your daughter one days decide to read your essay and realize that Scientology isn't what she thought.

Love Dorthe

caroline

Post by caroline » Fri Feb 08, 2008 7:51 am

Dorthe wrote:Dear Caroline

You helped me so much, when I decided to leave Scientology. Reading your essay had a great impact on me at the time. Hopefully your daughter one days decide to read your essay and realize that Scientology isn't what she thought.

Love Dorthe
Somehow, Dorthe, I experience a miracle every time someone says he or she has derived some benefit from the Soulhackers essay. I am truly grateful that despite all its shortcomings, and I know there are many, because I wrote it in my first months after exiting Scientology and when my understanding of the cult's process and effects was just beginning to develop, the judges at the Lisa McPherson Trust (Bob, Stacy?) gave the essay a life far beyond my own expectation.

The MAA at Flag said she showed part of the essay to my Annie, at least enough to prove to her that I was beyond salvage.
http://carolineletkeman.org/sp/index.ph ... Itemid=240
http://carolineletkeman.org/sp/index.ph ... mitstart=1

Thanks to you and to other responders for your kind thoughts and words. I pray that some day my daughter, and of course any daughter or son, will find some comfort and understanding in Soulhackers, or in any other writing that attempts to explore or tell some truth about Scientology's dark side.

Cherub2u

Post by Cherub2u » Sun Feb 10, 2008 12:42 am

I have to add that your essay, even in its earliest version, was quite helpful to me in opening the minds of some of my own family members. While the response time was a few years, your essay set the stage as it were, and I am ever so thankful I had it in my hands when needed.

Regardless of when it was written, or the perfection of its content, the essay appears to repeatedly communicate to the same type of person who is thinking about leaving, knowing something is wrong -- and your essay provides a final step for them to walk to freedom.

Even though you say you wrote it only a few months after you left, didnt know then what you do now -- despite all this it has the raw energy of the rude awakening you'd just gone through the previous year -- and I think this element is what is picked up on; this is what helps to awaken those reading it. It is perfect the way it is, for that reason alone.

It is likewise a blessing to many of us that this essay exists and can be always called upon.

A real contribution, Caroline -- I've always wanted to say that. Thank you for writing it.

The Cherub

the_headcrusher

Post by the_headcrusher » Sun Feb 10, 2008 3:08 am

I've read your website a few times Caroline, and it is great. From your contact info, I notice your from Chilliwack, you're actually only 3 or 4 blocks away from me. :)
I have never been in the Co$ so I won't know the answer to this question, but are there many scientologists in Chilliwack? Also where would scientologists even meet here? It's a pretty churchy town so I can't see the Co$ having much of a presence.
You flathead.

caroline

Chilliwackos unite!

Post by caroline » Sun Feb 10, 2008 3:23 am

You'll appreciate this then.

http://www.gerryarmstrong.org/50grand/f ... t-man.html

Gerry says we should do pie at the airport sometime.

Return to “Your story from inside Scientology”