Oh Hai!

Share your personal experiences with others. We're not here to judge or criticise, but to share and support.

Moderator: Dorothy

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
ChairpersonMeow
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Oh Hai!

Post by ChairpersonMeow » Mon Mar 24, 2008 4:45 am

I just need to get this out there. My account has just been activated, I am really glad to finally add my voice to the ever growing chorus here on OCMB.

This is why I am here:

Andreas asks us to explain why we want to post here. I think this says it all.

Q3: Please explain why you want an account to post on OCMB:

I have been a long time lurker on the board (at least 3 or so years). I have gone from disbelief, to incredulousness to righteous anger and to finally, feeling the need to voice my support to the survivors of the COS.

If you have the time, this is how I became aware of the "Church". Several years ago, I was studying and did not have a lot of income. I've always had a passion for sci-fi and was whiling away some time in a second-hand bookstore in my hometown. It's run by the Catholic Church. I think you know which book I picked up - a certain little tome with a picture of a volcano in the front and the words "Dianetics" in it. It was for sale for $4.

I started to read it, and got very excited. It appealed to me. I remember the blurb and the first few chapters being about reaching your potential and there being people in the world trying make a difference - and that I could be one of them. I was about to walk to the counter to purchase it, when an older woman came up to me, with tears in her eyes. She asked me if I had heard of Scientology. I admitted I had, and didn't really know what it was.

This brave woman proceeded to tell me her story. Her daughter was a member of the Church. From what I know now, she was probably labelled an SP and her daughter had cut contact with her.

She took the book from me, and went to the counter. We had a conversation with the volunteers in the store about this book not belonging in this place. They threw it in the bin. She told me that she spends a lot of time getting Hubbard's stuff off shelves in places like this -because that is where they tend to end their lives. She seemed to think that some members deliberately would donate used books to second hand bookstores so people like me could pick them up and get interested. I am still not sure how right she was...

Every time I read your message board and site, I thank this woman. I feel like I owe her. I was at a very impressionable and vulnerable time in my life. I.E perfect cult fodder. If not for her, what would I have done? Purchased the book and wanted to know more?

You bet.

I went on to do a degree in psychology later on... and then found your site. The recent Anonymous activity has galvanised me into wanting to voice my support and any help I can give people in any way. The power of words and warning has never seemed more important to me than now.

If by some chance you are reading this, know that there is a grateful stranger out here wishing you and your daughter well.

Apologies for putting this in this area of the board. I don't know whether it warrants its' own thread - and I know it's not my story from inside Scientology. It's my close call. However, I think it counts for one small victory. Isn't that why we are all here?

Wieber
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Wieber » Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:00 am

Good story, ChairpersonMeow. I'm glad you're here.
“Think wrongly if you please, but in all cases think for yourself.”
Doris Lessing

programmer_guy

Post by programmer_guy » Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:07 am

ChairpersonMeow,

Hi! Welcome to OCMB.

I'd like to see more professional psychologists (whether from academia or not) posting here.

ChairpersonMeow wrote: I went on to do a degree in psychology later on... and then found your site.
Just outta curiousity... did you get a PHD?

Best regards

lucy skywalker

Post by lucy skywalker » Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:11 am

Welcome Chairperson Meow! Glad that you are here.

I thank that woman as well. Getting the word out is so important.

Best to you!

lucy
www.exscientologykids.com/
www.exscn.net
[i]beyond_horizons ... rest in peace dear friend[/i]

Kilia

Post by Kilia » Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:15 am

Welcome ChairpersonMeow. I'm glad your here and telling your story. I'm glad too that the woman came up and talked to you.
Bless her and you as well.

ChairpersonMeow

Post by ChairpersonMeow » Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:55 am

Hey Wieber - thanks for the warm welcome!

Hi Programmer Guy - I am not practising in any way - I only have an undergrad degree in psych - post grad credentials in other areas. Having said that, the knowledge I gained informs me in the work I do now and with the little (emphasis on little - I am not in any way an expert) knowledge I do have, it's interesting to see how CO$ skews statistics and hyperbole to meet their own ends. I agree - I'd like to see more mental health professionals voicing their opinions here.

Lucy and Kilia - I often read your posts and it's so wonderful to finally be able to speak to you and the other wonderful people here! I often wonder about that woman and where life has taken her...

Thanks again everybody for the warm welcomes!

If there was a cake emoticon I'd share it - so have some cookies instead and pretend it is delicious, delicious cake!
:milkcookies:

SchwimmelPuckel

Post by SchwimmelPuckel » Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:22 pm

These are good times! - So many people joining forces to make the Sinister ScamCult of Scientology crumble up and go 'Poof!' (to quote the Cruisemeister).

ChairpersonMeow, Nice little story about Book One there! :D - That book started the craze.. The primary trap for the mind is in there (I've posted a dusin times about that. And will again!).. So maybe you're right.. It was a close call!!

I'm experiencing my own little, similar or related, 'story from real life' these days.. I'm (re-)reading Hubbards SF story 'Battlefield Earth'... To see if the old nutter reveals anything interesting I can use to smear Scientology with... And so, I have colleques being nosey and 'discovering' that the book is by Hubbard... And they start exit-counselling me! Like.. Asking very cautiously.. 'Are you involved with that?' - Or: 'Fuck! - Stop reading shit like that!' and even 'WTF!! - Are you a f*ck'n scientologist!? - I thought you were smarter than that!!"

Hrrmpf! - So I've wrapped the book to hide it..

:onebounce:
[i]Ask not what [url=http://www.lermanet.com][color=blue]Scientology[/color][/url] can do for you, ask what the F*arck! is going on.[/i]

Ned Ludd

Post by Ned Ludd » Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:23 am

Just get a black marker and write "I am not a friggin $cieno" on the cover and be done with it. Research is research.

Welcome chairman :)
"Who you are speaks so loudly I can't hear what you're saying."
Ralph Waldo Emerson

ChairpersonMeow

Post by ChairpersonMeow » Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:09 am

Hey! It's Schwimmel! You're another poster I have enjoyed all these years! I agree with Ned - just write it's for research on the cover. But isn't it great that people are aware enough now of the situation with CO$ to be able to tell you not to read that crap?

I seriously remember reading the first few pages and getting so sucked into it. Good on you for doing to research - please post on the board about what you think/find.

What a great idea! I haven't wanted to touch anything written by the CO$ since that day, but maybe now it's time to read it with a critical eye...

Thanks for the welcome Ned and Puckel. Best wishes!
"Frisbetarians believe that when they die their souls go up on the roof and they can't get it down."

Return to “Your story from inside Scientology”