Never was a Scientologist but my boyfriend in the 1960s was.

Share your personal experiences with others. We're not here to judge or criticise, but to share and support.

Moderator: Dorothy

CindyJean

Never was a Scientologist but my boyfriend in the 1960s was.

Post by CindyJean » Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:39 pm

I was never into Scientology but my boyfriend in the 1960's was. I got into Gurdjieff instead and the ideas of Gurdjieff and the group I was in was wonderful and hardly cost any money at all.I think we paid about$10.00 a month. My boyfriend and I broke up probably because I was not interested in Scientology. I went to one meeting but I was just not interested and it cost too much money. I would like to find my friend. I don't want to mention his name in public though. He and his wife I believe have left Scientology but I think they changed their names. I am so sorry so many of you had problems with Scientology and suffered so much.

Don Carlo

Re: Never was a Scientologist but my boyfriend in the 1960s

Post by Don Carlo » Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:11 pm

Welcome, CindyJean
You can Google
"His Name" + "His State"
or
"His Name" + "His City"
or
"His Name" + "His Wife's Name"
or
"His Name" + "Scientology"
or
"His Name" + "City of Residence" + "mylife"
or
"His Name" + "linkedin"
Ancestry has a huge data base of voting list, city directories, vital records, and obituaries, but you need to ask a librarian how to get into the free Ancestry.com data base at your library. Then search for
Name = "His Name" + Spouse name = "His Wife's name"
Fill in the "Marriage place" = the state he was married in, if you know. California has good records. This can give you the wife's maiden name.
For Ancestry, if he has a common name, try guessing cities or states he might live in, or his year of birth. Try separate searches for his wife, with her maiden name and her married name.

If you can't use Ancestry.com, you can sometimes find obituaries of his siblings, parents or grandparents. The word "grandchildren" often leads to obituaries . Google
"His Name" + "grandchildren"
or
"Wife's Name" + "grandchildren"
If no luck, try
"His Name" + obituary

CoS members follow some customs - Unless they become actors or musicians, the men keep their young adult names (unlike Heaven's Gate, where they took new names). CoS women born in the 1940's and 1950's often took their husband's name. There are lots of nicknames for the women's first names. If the man or wife have unusual first names, try just the first names, if you really think they changed their last names.
Good luck.

CindyJean

Post by CindyJean » Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:25 am

Thanks, yes I have done all that. I found out that they lived in LA in a building owned by Scientology and then were in Petrolia and then they were at Twin Peaks. I am worried they are being kept as prisoners at Twin Peaks.

CindyJean

Post by CindyJean » Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:24 am

Yes I am subscribed to several sites that look up people. I also checked death records for he and his wife and they are not reported as deceased. I have all the names of his family members and have contacted his sister and his daughter and given them my email address to give him. I have not heard from him though. I am worried something terrible may gave happened to both he and his wife. I know the last places and addresses where they lived. I do not believe they are active Scientology members because they are not mentioned in the Scientology website at all. They probably left in 2010 and probably changed their names so they can't be found.

Don Carlo

Post by Don Carlo » Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:47 pm

Working with his family is a good idea. Do you know his wife's family? If she was born before 1940 she'd be in the 1940 census, which you can see for free at www.familysearch.org. Try to find her siblings. Keep looking for obituaries; you might find a recent one that names her.
People are harder to find if they don't register to vote, don't buy property, and don't start a business.

Return to “Your story from inside Scientology”