They Don't Give Up!

Share your personal experiences with others. We're not here to judge or criticise, but to share and support.

Moderator: Dorothy

Rifter

They Don't Give Up!

Post by Rifter » Sat Oct 11, 2014 6:01 am

This post is just a recount of events that occured to me within the short period I was involved with the CoS. This is a bit of a catharsis, so I apologise for that. I feel like a few Scientology members from my local org might frequent this site, and do not want to give out too much details about myself or my experiences (I'm sorry I'm not a good writer :)).

This year I started attending university for my studies, it was around the start of the year when I walked past someone handing out pamphlets about a 'free' personality test and took one. I was naive enough to think this was just a personality test that could improve my life through identifying my faults (as was communicated to me through the pamphlet). I read the words 'Church of Scientology' on the pamphlet but didn't care much about that, I mean how could I judge an organisation I barely knew about? I thought that I had nothing to lose by taking a quick personality test before my lecture, and so I approached the org soon later.

I was immediately greeted with a happy smile and was asked if I wanted to take the personality test, I answered yes and was taken in to the org to take the test. After an hour or so I had completed both the personality test and some IQ test that wasn't mentioned in the pamphlet, I was told that there is something wrong with me and that they had a course to treat me. I stared a bit blankly and told them I wasn't too sure about this but I didn't really have an argument against them, it seemed logical that if I had something wrong with me I shouldn't refuse a self-help course; I didn't want to be rude or judgemental so I eventually gave in after some more persistance that I take the course and was signed up for a free six month membership with the CoS.

I started attending my course with scepticism, it was like I could not progress in the course unless I absolutely had experienced something LRH wrote about, it wasn't long before I completed the course and was asked if I wanted to take another course that goes beyond what I studied, I told them that I did not have any interest in other courses and that was it.

I was led in a room to do an audit I guessed this was just something standard, I complied without hesitation to get this over with. I was told to sit down, put some moisture on my hands and hold two cans, I was asked some questions regarding my experience with the course and I answered them accordingly. Eventually the questions stopped and I was congratulated on finishing my course; it wasn't long before I was asked why I didn't want to take another course, at this point I knew they weren't going to take 'no' for an answer and I was guilted again into telling them I'd take another course, but it was getting late and we didn't have time to sort out the papers, so this gave me some time to do a bit of research about Scientology (and is how I found this wonderful site).

I came back to the org later and finally tried to explain that I did not believe in the stories that LRH told about himself, I presented the name of a biography of LRH for them to read, I argued different topics about his teachings (I couldn't argue much against someone who is an actual employee of the Church who knew much more than I did, but I still tried) for a while and did not admit defeat. It took a lot of effort to try and explain I did not want to take another course and that I wanted to have the freedom of choice to do business with them; they eventually let me go but I really did feel bad about not taking another course, I felt like I judged too harshly.

Of course the mail kept coming in, and I started taking phone calls from them, the calls at first were in between long intervals gradually getting more frequent over the months. I hoped that by the time my membership ran out they would stop trying to get to me take courses and that the junk mail would stop, obviously I was wrong. Anyway, this is during the time my membership was still active and I was called to take another course, I was convinced that they actually had a course that appealed to me and could actually help me a lot, so I took it and went in again.

The course activities were really obnoxious, repetitive and infuriating, I did not want to stop taking the course because I was already far into it, so when I completed the course I was pissed off to find out I couldn't actually complete the course and had to keep coming back until I did because the e-meter said so! Eventually the e-meter let up and I was free at last, then I had another option of taking a course I was relunctant but I was actually curious about the course they were offering, I think I did get some 'wins' from the previous course so I thought 'why not?'.

I completed that course too, and the e-meter still wouldn't let go of me, I whole-heartedly explained that I did understand the book and the course materials and even gave examples of how I used the material. The auditor seemed convinced but the e-meter couldn't care less about that, the org did a bit of talking to other orgs and said I had a special case and actually did complete the course. At this point I had about enough of this and told them I took the courses they offered and I didn't need anymore (I even purchased a book to seal the deal), I was let go into reality-land again.

That was months ago and this started around the beginning of the year, I'm still recieving junk mail and phone calls even though my membership has ended, even within the past three days I received four calls trying to tell me the same thing (there's an event or we want to offer you another course), I can only imagine I'm going to keep on getting more and more calls until I do something to stop it. I did some research and it turns out the chances of them putting me on their 'Do Not Call' list is very low unless I am labelled as a SP. I already have plans to talk to my local post office to try and stop them from sending more junk mail, as for the calls I feel like I'm going to have to go back to the Org to try and reason with them that I have no future interest in taking more courses through logical discussion. I shouldn't have to do this, this just isn't how a 'religious' organisation should operate!

Thanks for reading through this boring story, I feel lucky that I did not get more involved with the CoS and did not spend too much money in comparison to the others who stayed within the 'church' for years or even decades. I know my experiences are nothing compared to others, but I still felt the need to share them :)

Rifter

Re: They Don't Give Up!

Post by Rifter » Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:50 am

I literally just took another call from them, this is getting really annoying. On another note, I forgot to mention they kept offering me job positions at the org even though I always declined, they really don't give up.

Demented Source

Post by Demented Source » Sat Oct 11, 2014 3:32 pm

Welcome to the board, Rifter!

I got my share of phone calls from the cult and finally brought the flood to the end by promising to cut Miscavige's dick off. I do not think they put me on the SP list though because I didn't get a notification from them.
"Xenu is on me. He has been inside me for 75 Million years. Xenu and I are one".
L. Ron Hubbard, Excalibur, pg. 69

""Voy a copular con mi amante, Xenu, en frente del mundo. Que buena idea!"
L. Ron Hubbard, Saentologia 666

Rifter

Post by Rifter » Sat Oct 11, 2014 4:37 pm

Thanks for the welcome!

I'm just wondering if it's normal for them to have a photo of me? I was told by one of them that they were looking at a photo of me while on the phone, even though I don't recall taking any photos with them. It just seems pretty strange to me.

mr_bad

Post by mr_bad » Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:49 am

Rifter wrote:This post is just a recount of events that occured to me within the short period I was involved with the CoS. This is a bit of a catharsis, so I apologise for that. I feel like a few Scientology members from my local org might frequent this site, and do not want to give out too much details about myself or my experiences (I'm sorry I'm not a good writer :)).

This year I started attending university for my studies, it was around the start of the year when I walked past someone handing out pamphlets about a 'free' personality test and took one. I was naive enough to think this was just a personality test that could improve my life through identifying my faults (as was communicated to me through the pamphlet). I read the words 'Church of Scientology' on the pamphlet but didn't care much about that, I mean how could I judge an organisation I barely knew about? I thought that I had nothing to lose by taking a quick personality test before my lecture, and so I approached the org soon later.

I was immediately greeted with a happy smile and was asked if I wanted to take the personality test, I answered yes and was taken in to the org to take the test. After an hour or so I had completed both the personality test and some IQ test that wasn't mentioned in the pamphlet, I was told that there is something wrong with me and that they had a course to treat me. I stared a bit blankly and told them I wasn't too sure about this but I didn't really have an argument against them, it seemed logical that if I had something wrong with me I shouldn't refuse a self-help course; I didn't want to be rude or judgemental so I eventually gave in after some more persistance that I take the course and was signed up for a free six month membership with the CoS.

I started attending my course with scepticism, it was like I could not progress in the course unless I absolutely had experienced something LRH wrote about, it wasn't long before I completed the course and was asked if I wanted to take another course that goes beyond what I studied, I told them that I did not have any interest in other courses and that was it.

I was led in a room to do an audit I guessed this was just something standard, I complied without hesitation to get this over with. I was told to sit down, put some moisture on my hands and hold two cans, I was asked some questions regarding my experience with the course and I answered them accordingly. Eventually the questions stopped and I was congratulated on finishing my course; it wasn't long before I was asked why I didn't want to take another course, at this point I knew they weren't going to take 'no' for an answer and I was guilted again into telling them I'd take another course, but it was getting late and we didn't have time to sort out the papers, so this gave me some time to do a bit of research about Scientology (and is how I found this wonderful site).

I came back to the org later and finally tried to explain that I did not believe in the stories that LRH told about himself, I presented the name of a biography of LRH for them to read, I argued different topics about his teachings (I couldn't argue much against someone who is an actual employee of the Church who knew much more than I did, but I still tried) for a while and did not admit defeat. It took a lot of effort to try and explain I did not want to take another course and that I wanted to have the freedom of choice to do business with them; they eventually let me go but I really did feel bad about not taking another course, I felt like I judged too harshly.

Of course the mail kept coming in, and I started taking phone calls from them, the calls at first were in between long intervals gradually getting more frequent over the months. I hoped that by the time my membership ran out they would stop trying to get to me take courses and that the junk mail would stop, obviously I was wrong. Anyway, this is during the time my membership was still active and I was called to take another course, I was convinced that they actually had a course that appealed to me and could actually help me a lot, so I took it and went in again.

The course activities were really obnoxious, repetitive and infuriating, I did not want to stop taking the course because I was already far into it, so when I completed the course I was pissed off to find out I couldn't actually complete the course and had to keep coming back until I did because the e-meter said so! Eventually the e-meter let up and I was free at last, then I had another option of taking a course I was relunctant but I was actually curious about the course they were offering, I think I did get some 'wins' from the previous course so I thought 'why not?'.

I completed that course too, and the e-meter still wouldn't let go of me, I whole-heartedly explained that I did understand the book and the course materials and even gave examples of how I used the material. The auditor seemed convinced but the e-meter couldn't care less about that, the org did a bit of talking to other orgs and said I had a special case and actually did complete the course. At this point I had about enough of this and told them I took the courses they offered and I didn't need anymore (I even purchased a book to seal the deal), I was let go into reality-land again.

That was months ago and this started around the beginning of the year, I'm still recieving junk mail and phone calls even though my membership has ended, even within the past three days I received four calls trying to tell me the same thing (there's an event or we want to offer you another course), I can only imagine I'm going to keep on getting more and more calls until I do something to stop it. I did some research and it turns out the chances of them putting me on their 'Do Not Call' list is very low unless I am labelled as a SP. I already have plans to talk to my local post office to try and stop them from sending more junk mail, as for the calls I feel like I'm going to have to go back to the Org to try and reason with them that I have no future interest in taking more courses through logical discussion. I shouldn't have to do this, this just isn't how a 'religious' organisation should operate!

Thanks for reading through this boring story, I feel lucky that I did not get more involved with the CoS and did not spend too much money in comparison to the others who stayed within the 'church' for years or even decades. I know my experiences are nothing compared to others, but I still felt the need to share them :)
Your story sounds very familiar to mine. Their tactics haven't changed.

Good for you for getting your hands on a biography and reading it. My story would have been identical to yours, if I had.

You're going to have to change your tactics, if you want to get off their lists. Being civil doesn't work with them. They'll interpret your civility as they just haven't worn you down yet. They won't give, if your nice.

You're going to have to start talking about Xenu or threatening lawsuits. Ask for a refund while your at.
Last edited by mr_bad on Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Here's Jabba the Hub as he writes crappy sci-fi while his wife sits prison...OT Priorities personified!!!

Don Carlo

Post by Don Carlo » Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:04 pm

Welcome, Ritter. Your experience shows how smart people can be sucked in. Good job getting out early.

Return to “Your story from inside Scientology”