Narconon

LZW2006

Narconon

Post by LZW2006 » Mon Oct 02, 2006 9:52 am

Narconon Arrowhead (which apparently is not in Oregon) is advertising very heavily here on the AM radio KWRO in Coosbay. It's a very compelling drug treatment ad where all types of people tell their experiences with drugs and how it ruined their lives... If I were a drug addict, I would want to go get rehabilitated!

But the name sounded familiar so I looked it up on the internet and sure enough, it is a scientology recruitment cult! There are accounts from people on the internet of people that have been there and they don't get treated for drug addiction, they just get brainwashed into scientology.

They run these ads on the radio all day long, sometimes twice every hour and I think they are trying to convert Southern Oregon into a scientology cult!

Is there anyway to warn my fellow citizens about this? Some of which might actually need help with drugs and not be preyed upon by the scientology cult? Like would it do any good to contact the local radio station and tell them they are promoting scientology and not a public service, or do they already know this?

They run these ads so often, it's like a PSA... I wonder if the station got tricked into running the ads for free, thinking it was a public service announcement.

Tigger

Post by Tigger » Tue Oct 03, 2006 1:41 am

Hi,

That station probably doeesn't have a clue. I think I remember some radio station, who was airing Narconon propaganda until it received informtion about Narconon from a source other than Narconon.

I would suggest you contact the station and find out if it's paid ads or free public announcements. The station, if it's a paid ad, at least, might consider putting up some sort of disclaimer. If it's free public access, you and your
friends, I would think, would Have a right to put up your *own* Narconon ads.:)

You and your friends could also write to the newspapers and other radio and tv stations and they might turn into "Vince Daniels".

BTW Narconon Arrowhead evolved from Narconon Chilocco in Oklahoma. The five tirbes, who were conned, finally got NarCONon off their property and then NarCONon bought an old Lake Eufaula resort named Arrowhead from some other Indians.
The Narconon treatment was declared "unsafe and ineffective" by the Oklahoma State Mental Health Board. You can read the reasons why here: Findings of Fact: Narconon Chilocco
http://www.shipbrook.com/jeff/CoS/narconon/osb1992.html

The Story of Narconon in Oklahoma Newkirk Herald Journal
http://tradersbend.com/nsp/index.html

On a recent "VINCE DANIELS" radio show, a father tells what happened to his son at Wickstrom's Stone Hawk Narconon.   http://Stop-Narconon.org/Personal

You can find the information about Narconon that Narconon and Scientology don't want anybody to know here.
Stop-Narconon.org: Protecting the Vulnerable from Narconon/Scientology http://www.stopnarconon.org/

Maybe local drug treatment facilities would like to know who (Narconon) what (Scientology front group) and where (Oklahoma) is trying to do business in their state.

Good LUck. Let us know what happens.

Tigger

Patty Pieniadz

Re: Narconon

Post by Patty Pieniadz » Tue Oct 03, 2006 1:46 am

LZW2006 wrote:Narconon Arrowhead (which apparently is not in Oregon) is advertising very heavily here on the AM radio KWRO in Coosbay. It's a very compelling drug treatment ad where all types of people tell their experiences with drugs and how it ruined their lives... If I were a drug addict, I would want to go get rehabilitated!

But the name sounded familiar so I looked it up on the internet and sure enough, it is a scientology recruitment cult! There are accounts from people on the internet of people that have been there and they don't get treated for drug addiction, they just get brainwashed into scientology.

They run these ads on the radio all day long, sometimes twice every hour and I think they are trying to convert Southern Oregon into a scientology cult!

Is there anyway to warn my fellow citizens about this? Some of which might actually need help with drugs and not be preyed upon by the scientology cult? Like would it do any good to contact the local radio station and tell them they are promoting scientology and not a public service, or do they already know this?

They run these ads so often, it's like a PSA... I wonder if the station got tricked into running the ads for free, thinking it was a public service announcement.
The radio station thinks Narconon is just another non profit group and they run the ads for free because per the FCC they have to donate so much time to non profits.

Call or write to your local radio stations and explain to the manager that
Narconon is a front group for the C of S and then sent them these
links.

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~dst/Narconon/

http://www.stop-narconon.org/

Be nice to the manager and explain he is being taken advantage of by the cult and ask him to please check the above websites out before he does any more PSA's (Public Service Announcements) for a destructive cult.

Patty p

umike

Re: Narconon

Post by umike » Tue Oct 03, 2006 4:58 pm

Patty Pieniadz wrote:
They run these ads so often, it's like a PSA... I wonder if the station got tricked into running the ads for free, thinking it was a public service announcement....

The radio station thinks Narconon is just another non profit group and they run the ads for free because per the FCC they have to donate so much time to non profits.

Call or write to your local radio stations and explain to the manager that
Narconon is a front group for the C of S and then sent them these
links.

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~dst/Narconon/

http://www.stop-narconon.org/

Be nice to the manager and explain he is being taken advantage of by the cult and ask him to please check the above websites out before he does any more PSA's (Public Service Announcements) for a destructive cult.

Patty p

These efforts would sure help to raise awareness about the Narconon front group ruse-no doubt. We have the same ads here in Socal.

The rub is that they are categorized along with other non-profit drug rehabs and those run by Christian/Catholic/Jewish entities.

In my mind the one exclusive thing that distinguishes SCN from the other programs with a spiritual component is that they will try to hard sell services
after treatment for large "donations".

All these organizations want to "save your soul"
after treatment. SCN does too--but they want to charge you $300,000 to do so.

Getting the public to wrap themselves around this is very difficult.

Umike

LZW2006

Post by LZW2006 » Tue Oct 03, 2006 9:59 pm

Thanks for the information everyone... I'm going to see if I can contact the station by email but if that don't work, maybe I can print out some of that material to give to the station manager.

LZW2006

Post by LZW2006 » Wed Oct 04, 2006 2:50 am

Update

I could not find an email address to directly contact KWRO but I found a contact of a sister station from the parent company of Bicoastal Media.

I'm not a professional writter or debator but I wrote and told them what I felt and recieved a reply that I think is very positive... It indicates that I may be the 3rd person to point this out and that Narconon might get cancled! Here is the message log:
lzw2006,
Thanks for the information.
Strike three they're out.

Dale Nugen
Ops Mgr
KWRO

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tuesday, October 03, 2006 2:20 PM
To: classichits@bicoastalmedia.com
Subject: narconon/kwro

Hi, could you please forward this to someone at KWRO? I cannot find their
email address...

Hello KWRO. There are things about your Narconon sponser which you may not
know. Most importantly, they are a front group for a religeous cult called
Scientology.

I have started a conversation about KWRO/Narconon on the internet and people
there feel that you probably do not know this... Please read it because it
is full of useful information about the cult.

viewtopic.php?p=228374#228374
I have to say congrats for the quick response from these radio people to a standard listener query and that KWRO is one hell of a kick ass news/talk AM station!

Tigger

Post by Tigger » Wed Oct 04, 2006 5:40 am

WOW....I think you did it....I think you did it....I think you did it. Congratualtions for a job very well done.

Tigger

Sometimes it doesn't take a battle, a rider or a horse.....just a nail. :)

Kilia

Post by Kilia » Wed Oct 04, 2006 7:23 am

Wonderfully done, LZW2006! Bravo!!! :D

LZW2006

Post by LZW2006 » Thu Oct 05, 2006 8:31 pm

I've not heard any more Narconon commercials on KWRO in last couple of days. I'm kind of surprised... I did not know one person could make a difference.

I hope not to many southern oregon residents got conned out of $20,000 to hear a scientology sermon during the time.

quaoar

Post by quaoar » Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:51 am

LZW2006,

I've both called the stations and followed up with emails and letters about these adverts on the Clearchannel stations in Denver (I am a talk radio addict!). I've received 'thank-you' emails several times, and the adverts have ceased (at least when I have listened).

I'd like to think that it was my efforts that stopped the kult's evil advertisements. OTOH, there were probably several others who complained, also. It just doesn't take more than a handful of objectors to stop these types of things.

Q

Return to “Oregon”