derelict Northumbria Idle Org property damaged by fire

Sponge

derelict Northumbria Idle Org property damaged by fire

Post by Sponge » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:09 pm

This just in today from Charlie:
http://forums.whyweprotest.net/threads/ ... ire.91837/
charlie, posting on WWP wrote:Had to happen

Spoke to a guy who parks there he recons it was squatters ?
More urbanX pics
http://www.northeasturbex.co.uk/forums/ ... bie-Report
charlie, posting on WWP, wrote:
Anonymous wrote: when did this happen is it in the local press yet!
Within the last 2 weeks as that's when I was last there , never seen anything in the chronicle .
Shit heap of Fail! Hey La-Li-La!

Previous thread with pre-fire pics from May 2011
viewtopic.php?f=43&t=33144

Sponge

Re: derelict Northumbria Idle Org property damaged by fire

Post by Sponge » Sat Aug 06, 2011 4:32 pm

Another pic from the other side.

Source: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthrea ... st82036518
Anonymous, posting on WWP wrote:The fire was on or around 23rd July according to a post on http://skyscrapercity.com, so it's been open to the elements for around 2 weeks already. On the 24th, the police had the area cordoned off, see:
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpost. ... tcount=212
Posts from skyscrapercity.com forum, from 24th July 2011.....
Looks like the care home near Gateshead interchange was on fire recently/last night. The area is cordoned off by the police.
Originally Posted by merleb

^ Is that the old Windmill Hills School?
Yep. Remarkably ablaze though closed because of asbestos. Hmmmm. There's a funny thing.

Sponge

Post by Sponge » Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:58 am

^regarding that last quote, I'm not sure if we have ever seen noted officially anything to do with asbestos as the reason the former Windmill Hills care home was closed. Care homes for the elderly and disabled here'n'there are always being closed, sold off, and consolidated with other facilities with spare capacity. Interesting if true about the asbestos because it adds a massive layer of additional expense before they can even begin to think about renovating it into something that resembles an "ideal org". I'd have thought that if asbestos was a concern then the local council would have enforced a clean-up long before now (and sealed the place properly as soon as it was closed).
Anyway, with the lack of care in preventing the ongoing vandalism, its future, with a visibly depleted UK scientology membership especially in these dark economic times, is not looking good. Only David Miscavige himself can rescue it, with a big fat loan from the muthercult in the United States of Scientology....or just have it burned fully to the ground, collect the insurance (if valid) and sell the land.

Sponge

Post by Sponge » Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:18 pm

Update via WWP:
http://forums.whyweprotest.net/threads/ ... st-1852750
wolfyrik, posting on wwp, wrote:Ok I've had news from the council. We need Any local Anons to keep an eye out on the place. Copy of letter from an Officer sent to the councillors for the area:

Just a brief update in relation to Windmill Hills. We have sent the Church of Scientology a draft urgent works notice setting out what works are required to secure the building, prevent further damage to the building and to stop any deterioration. Contractors are today on site carrying out some works including the securing of doors and windows and clearing of combustible materials from inside. Improvements in the landscaping surrounding the building are also being carried out.

Further works to provide temporary cover to the damaged roof are planned, however, this is subject to the release of finances by the church’s insurance company which is causing a delay.

There should be contractors on site over the next 4 or 5 days and I will endeavour to keep you updated as matter progress. I would advise that we will continue to monitor and proceed to take formal action should it become necessary. To this end we are already in discussions with our Construction Services so that in the event we have to undertake works Officers are able to act swiftly.

So it looks like the cult is paying for emergency repairs through insurance, or would be if the insurers weren't causing problems. Could be interesting to monitor this situation. Any Anons local to spot works done?

Sponge

Post by Sponge » Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:03 am

...continuing from the update above........

Anonymous, postubf on WWP, wrote:An update on the North East Urban Exploration Forums yesterday:

ArtificialSunProject wrote: Demolition has started

Demolition has started. I saw the demo men with the crane in this morning. Came back during the night (about 9pm) and surprise surprise our old friends are in stripping the place lifeless. The time is running out for windmill hills.
In light of the letter from the council though I think 'demolition' is overstating it, and this activity probably relates to the "clearing of combustible materials" and "improvements to the landscaping" that it mentions. (I don't know, just reporting what's on that forum.)

Sponge

Post by Sponge » Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:05 pm

Latest pics:

23rd August: Improved boarding up, Roof the same (not shown)
charlie wrote: Image

Very little changed apart from some metal shuttering but had a cracking chat with a clam (red van man) I'm not a scientologist "but" LOL , everything and everyone are conspiring against them because of good they do, this guy had so many conspiracy theory's and hidden agenda's coming out of his mouth I had to laugh quite a bit (sorry if your reading this mate) , and how the big pharmaceutical company's and physiatrists are drugging all the kids , good job I had my daughter with me in her wheelchair who is epileptic , but it's ok to give her the med's "strange" , lost count of how many times he said "read a book" , he say's he's only done a couple of course's LOL .
According to him he's a friend of the managing director of the sunderland org (his word's not mine) the building's been broken into more than 100 time's since they bought it and they've done great job looking after it ? , but now the building's not fit for purpose ? and will not be the Northumbria ideal org apparently they cannot raise the finances LOL , spent about 45 min's talking to him we agreed to disagree .
1st September, the other side of the building showing the burned roof and still with inadequate boarding-up there.
charlie wrote:No change still no scaffolding up

Just Bill

Post by Just Bill » Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:22 pm

Another planned "Ideal Org" finally reaches true ideal status: Closed, to be demolished.

Sponge

Post by Sponge » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:26 pm

After a couple of days of extremly high winds (gusting to 70mph+ in places), Charlie on whyweprotest.net pops by the Org today to see if there is any damage and to get some pics. Construction is afoot. At least, repair/assessment of the fire damaged roof.....

Scaffolding up

Recently, the nearby (barely-functioning) Sunderland org who are responsible for this mess won the ideal org football competition to the tune of £25,000.
That's a convenient way of giving a handout. They'll have to add another couple of zeros to that before this building can ever become an "ideal" org.

Sponge

Post by Sponge » Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:53 pm

More pics from Charlie today....
Went down yesterday , the roof was getting some plastic sheeting over it .

Sponge

Post by Sponge » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:08 pm

Charlie from WWP was passing by there a few days ago. 11th Dec 2011, and the tarps are still there, flapping in the wind, with no work on repairs to the fire damage.
ref: http://forums.whyweprotest.net/threads/ ... st-1983063
charlie wrote:Drove past yesterday and I cannot see any visable signs of it being touched since the last time I was down , tarp's are loose and flapping about a bit LOL .
13th Dec..
veravendetter wrote:Saw a man in high-vis pointing at the tarp an hour ago. Went past on main road, no point stopping; no camera.

The tale of the tarp trundles on . . .

Sponge

Post by Sponge » Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:53 am

Finally, the derelict, decrepid, vandalised and roof-burned building that scientology wanted to be their Ideal Org for the North East of England will be put out of its misery.

The proposed Northumbria Ideal Org is now on the market for sale.

http://www.movehut.co.uk/investment/jes ... shead-tyne
(also currently at the bottom of this page: http://www.naylors.co.uk/properties?pro ... 00&ord=asc )
*[edited some details in the quote below in red. Also the map location on the website is wrong. See my post further down]
Property Details: Former Windmill Hills Nursing Home, Mulgrave Terrace, Gateshead, Tyne & Wear
POA
* Property Ref: NCS507
* Purpose: Investment
* Location: Jesmond, Northumberland <wrong, it's not Jesmond, its Gateshead
* Postcode: NE2 2AD <wrong, it's NE8 1PQ
* Size: 19999 sq.ft
To arrange a viewing either telephone the agent on the number below or fill out the contact form to email the agent direct.
0844 502 4861
There's no date on the page itself but google search pegs it at 30th November 2011.

The big question is: Is the property title still under the name of scientologist and estate agent Richard Pickles or was it transferred to one of scientology's entities? I'm thinking that because it always has been a liability, like all these places are until renovation work actually starts for real, then this heap of singed crumbling pile of damp bricks is more likely to still be in Pickles' ownership.

Artists impression, based on the September 2011 recon photo:
Last edited by Sponge on Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Sponge

Post by Sponge » Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:21 pm

Charlie from WWP did a recon today and took these lovely pictures......
(ref: https://whyweprotest.net/community/thre ... st-2018221 )
Charlie wrote: Builders have took their sign down so I guess is going up for sale as is (ouch thats got hurt the pocket) tarps looking a bit tattered too .
No attempt has been made to even make it look slightly presentable on the outside for sale, with no basic remedial work whatsoever on the damage caused by vandalism, fire and general neglect. Just the tarps and and the scaffolding, which is probably a safety thing at the insistence of the local council. It's a fire sale!

Scientologist and Estate Agent, Richard Mark Pickles paid £1,500,000 for this pile of shit in March 2007
(Land registery data obtained back in Oct 2008 is in this thread: viewtopic.php?p=344289#p344289 )

anondelmundial

Post by anondelmundial » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:03 pm

Sponge,

If one follows the map on the Movehut Investments/Naylors links you gave, it leads via Google Earth to an old building at 54°59'17.13"N Latitude, 1°36'19.52"W Longitude that is NOT the building in the photographs of the Org. The referenced building is on flat land, no hills, has no bell towers, etc. as can be seen from Street View. Something is amiss since the Org is on a hill, plainly shown in the photographs.

It would be nice if the OP could provide a geographical location of the Org suitable for Google Earth. I would ask around on WWP, but have been Badge of Honor Banned from WWP.

Sponge

Post by Sponge » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:18 pm

I noticed yesterday that the Movehut map location is not correct. They've clearly just used it for the general region because the postcode is wrong. They have it as NE2 (Jesmond) and it is NE8 (Gateshead) (it's a couple of miles south of that on the othersie of the river. Why they've done this I don't know. It is either just a mistake or more likely that the movehut website simply "spams" popular nearby regions to get more interest or web hits for properties in adjacent areas. Arguably Jesmond is a more desirable location than Windmill Hills in Gateshead you see.

You'll notice that I already gave a link to another thread in this section which has Land Registry data (from Oct 2008), with the address, here: viewtopic.php?p=344289#p344289
Here's another Org Patrol thread when previous sale rumours first surface (and elsewhere we had other hints the local council was looking at making a compulsary purchase due to the state of it and that it was in an area of Gateshead that is earmarked in their regional development plan): viewtopic.php?f=43&t=33144
Also, here's a general org patrol thread with a basic summary on the fail state of all proposed UK "Ideal" Orgs: viewtopic.php?f=43&t=46324

Anyway, here's a short URL to the proper location on google maps.
http://g.co/maps/umwfa
It will be right smack in the middle of that map view. (if you zoom out, ignore the "A" pushpin that might be there because that's just the central location of the street as a result of the google map search on the street name, but I manually move the map and centered it on the actual bulding before taking the link)

The official address, which is correct, is:
(former) Windmill Hills Nursing home
Mulgrave Terrace
Gateshead
Tyne & Wear
NE8 1PQ

That's the building that scientologist Richard Mark Pickles bought for scientology's Ideal Org in his name, and it's what's on Scientology's shooped PR (which may still be on the web) and that's precisely what is being listed at Naylors estate agents for sale.
I've edited the previous post to point out the incorrect website data.

The scientologists have football matches between different regions and they have money prizes awarded by the mothercult. The North East team won something like £20,000 in the contest last year to go towards the renovation of this derelict building. Those scientologists, eager to see their Ideal Org become a reality, probably weren't aware that plans were afoot well before then to sell the place. I think the continued vandalism, unchecked weather damage and then the fire was the final straw. So where the local scientologist's prize money actually went is anyone's guess.... presumably towards the remedial scaffolding and the tarps.

anondelmundial

Post by anondelmundial » Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:26 pm

Sponge,

Thanks for the updated site location. The lat/lon for the site is embedded in the URL: 54.960875,-1.607131. Copy and paste into Google Earth.

Addendum: Now that I can see the site in Google Earth, it is really magnificently located with a large beautiful park on its boundary and a major thoroughfare for access. The structures are old and decrepit, but the site itself is wonderful. I can visualize the huge, brightly lighted, blinking LED sign "Scientology" visible for miles from that hill! There is even a bus station just across the road to bring hordes of public Scientologists to the Org!

Northumbria's Scientologists are clearly short-sighted. They should demolish the existing buildings and build a new, modern, Idle Org on this magnificent site. What's a couple of million pounds sterling when global domination is at stake? Where is the Org's havingness, one wonders?

Return to “United Kingdom”