E-mail: cofsvic@telus.net

don_carlo

Post by don_carlo » Sun Aug 22, 2004 5:57 am

Toronto Org got no construction dumpster
ars thread
Android Cat:
While taking a look at the org and the Big Sign (see ABS), I happened to
circumcise the org (I took the short cut), and I noticed one thing: There
is no construction dumpster anywhere around the building.

With any renovation project, tearing down or building up, there is a _huge_
amount of waste material generated. Normally, there is a contracted
heavy-duty dumpster on site which is used for construction materials. When
it fills up, the company is called and they take away the full dumpster and
leave an empty one. (They normally don't take away a full one and bring an
empty later--too much work.) It doesn't really matter if the project is
going fast or slow, they come when called and charge by the load. Even if
the work was going slow, they'll just leave an empty dumpster and charge a
weekly service fee. There wasn't one there.

There was a small one out back that looked like the sort used at apartment
buildings for general trash. I expect the org fills that once a week with
paper and stuff. (Since no one is supposed to be living in the building and
there's no longer a restaurant there, right?)

Hey, I could be wrong, but it looks like there isn't any interior work being
done on the org (no exterior work for over six months). And I'm not trying
to be unfair here, I just report what I spy with my SP eye. There was a
good start on the second floor, and that interior work really could take
ages, but I don't see how you could be doing anything without generating
trash.

--
Ron of that ilk.
...snip...

Phil Scott:
Some of these delays are over 6 months now, some over a
year... and on mission critical projects... these are not
simple logistics delays, but lenthy abandoments.

prevail

Post by prevail » Wed Aug 25, 2004 7:16 pm

I have a bit of history for your Victoria entry in that list Don. There was a mission in an area called Quadra, but it shut it's doors after only a few months of operation. It's a hydroponics supply shop now ;) Where the new mission is is the same social class/income bracket as the previous mission, but with a large military personnel demographic (due to it's proximity to a major Naval base). And, for some odd reason, as far as getting to the location of the new Mission, it's considered very out of the way for many people in regards to travel route and time. Another oddity, is that the "Church" is located in what is essentially an industrial park area with a few lower income houses and apartments scattered about, which I find odd and, frankly, suspicious.

There is also a Dianetics outlet in Victoria, it seems:

Dianetics
4240 Shelbourne Street,
Victoria, BC
V8N3E9
(250) 361-4991

This one is somewhat more accessable, but some would still consider it out of the way and something of a hassle to get to. The Dianetics front is in a much higher income bracket area with a much higher residential population density though. However, I notice something rather unnerving about both of these locations; the Mission is within a stone's throw from a local high school (and there's an elementary school about 10min. walk from there). The Dianetics outlet is within easy distance of a high school, an elementary school and the city's major University (University of Victoria). All of this info can be found out by anyone, anywhere on the telus.net website via their map lookup service and reverse phone book lookup, BTW. And a humourous aside; the directory listing on the site proclaims for both the Dianetics and Mission: "Appears in the category 'window cleaning'"! LOL! Maybe the Orgs are "downstat" and have been attempting to up the stats by making windows "clear"? :-D

I wonder if they're following a two-pronged infiltration behaviour that I've seen in other groups of it's ilk: For the Dianetics, be close to places of learning, in high income or upper middle working class areas and lure "raw meat" with the "wonders" of Dianetics, and once their in and far enough along, hand them off to the Mission on the opposite side of town? It would certainly be a feasable strategy to get disenfranchised, bored teens and Uni students in the door to check out what it's about (especially if the Dianetics front is potrayed as "fun, active and cool". Looks like I have to do some drive-by recon), then start getting them out of range of the families, friends and instructors with further processing at the Mission. Add to this that the Scio's would have access to all manner of info regarding the parents of such kids; what they do for a living, how much income is generated and so forth (*especially* in the area the Dianetics joint is in)....

It really makes one wonder what the real modus operandi is that they're pushing in the city.

(Message edited by prevail on August 25, 2004)

(Message edited by prevail on August 25, 2004)
S toboi ostatsa dol'she

prevail

Post by prevail » Wed Sep 01, 2004 5:17 am

INFO TO COME: I plan on doing a "fly by" of both the Dianetics and the "Mission" this upcoming weekend on my day off. Watch this space for the report, gang. Something tells me that the Mission especially will be far less than the glitz and glamour offered by the likes of "Big Blue". I'll attempt to take pics and attach them here if I can. If I decide to infiltrate the Dianetics compound, can anyone give me some pointers of where "not to go" while speaking with recruiter Scios? I mean, things that will lead me to the "next step", perhaps into auditing? Be it known that I'm very much a person who likes to please others, sometimes to my detriment. IOW, I sometimes have a hard time putting my foot down and saying "no". With that in mind, what should I do? My next day off is Friday, at which time I'll be doing my "recon" mission, so I'd like info before then if possible.

Finally, is there any info of particular interest that anyone would like me to try to ascertain?

In trust,
HeartofOak
S toboi ostatsa dol'she

free_for_real

Post by free_for_real » Wed Sep 01, 2004 6:22 pm

HeartofOak, how about how many staff they have?

see how many people are in the course room?

Don't ask them directly because they will PR you, ask around the question or look for yourself.

Don't do a free session, it my upset you and just set you up for needing more sessions at cost to you?

Good luck!

prevail

Post by prevail » Wed Sep 01, 2004 8:44 pm

Thanks, Free. I'll be scoping out the Dianetics first, since that's the one that is in the most affluent area of town (and thus the most disturbing to me), so my curiosity is quite piqued on that end. As I said earlier, the Mission is in the industrial park area, so I'm expecting that it's not going to be much more than a small rental office, which will be very telling regarding the "health" of Co$'s presence here. My "cover" will be that "I've seen the ads on TV for years and years, so I just thought I'd poke my nose in". Think that one will work?
S toboi ostatsa dol'she

free_for_real

Post by free_for_real » Wed Sep 01, 2004 11:31 pm

HeartofOak, yes, it will work.

If you seem interested at all they will be frothing at the mouth to sign you up for something.

If you need more data, just tell them you need to come back later, just don't give them real information about where you live, is my advice.

Unless you want them hounding you forever.

prevail

Post by prevail » Thu Sep 02, 2004 6:33 am

If that becomes the case, Free, I have an ace up my sleeve... My father who essentially disowned me after my mother's death can take the brunt of the scio mailings. I'll give his address. It's a very long and sad story unto itself, and to use Scio terms, it's very, VERY enturbulating, but it doesn't belong here really, so I'll refrain (although if anyone wants to know they can contact me/let me know somehow and I'll lay out the sordid truth, ugly as it is). Heh... My family is full of pain and suffering. It would make Pinhead the Cenobite from Hellraiser blush, which is why I've made it a kind of mission to help others get over theirs.

Anyway, I've had 10 years of professional acting experience, and I think I can pull off the "disinterested yet a blip of interest" thing to the point I can escape unscathed.... Heck, even my hair is done in an Eastern religion style (done to symbolize adherence via the effort it takes to keep it in such a state), so I think I'll be safe. I'd like to take a 2nd person with me to keep tabs, but I don't want to expose a real friend to potential danger... i don't have a lot of friends, but the ones i have are true quality (quality vs. quantity I say). And thanks for your well wishes, this is the first time I've ever attempted an "enemy emcampment penetration", so to speak... Maybe I had better read more Sun Tsu before I go in? ;-) At any rate, I hope to have info and pics up by Sunday if I can....
S toboi ostatsa dol'she

free_for_real

Post by free_for_real » Thu Sep 02, 2004 3:20 pm

HeartofOak, go for it!

I'm looking forward to your report.

prevail

Post by prevail » Sun Sep 05, 2004 5:28 pm

Small update here. Had a client in the area of the Dianetics outlet. However, when I went to find it, it was not readilly visible from the street. This is not to say that it isn't there, but that it's possibly in one of the small office complexes towards the back. What bothers me, is that I remember Dianetics places in the past (from my travelling days) that were far more out there and "in the open", proudly displaying what they had to offer... This makes it even more suspicious, IMHO. Why would this outlet be hiding around (possibly) the rear side of a building??

I wanted to recon some more and run the exact addy down, but my bike that I use to get around the city kept blowing it's fuel line and I had to spend about 5 hours troubleshooting it, making repairs and swapping out old line for new then test driving for line integrity (don't wanna "fix" it and have the hose come off again!). But I plan on returning over the long weekend, provided the repairs I made are adequate, of course ;)
S toboi ostatsa dol'she

prevail

Post by prevail » Thu Sep 09, 2004 3:00 am

Final Update: Got around to visiting both addresses today.

Scientology is dead here.

Don, you can wipe both of those entries fir Victoria off your list if you're keeping one.

First tip off; the number for the Dianetics joint was "no longer in service". A visit to the location revealed that the office in question was empty/abandoned. Not a scrap of paper in sight. Excellent. It was, as I suspected, in the back of a little "professional building" in the area which also houses a number of registered/licenced doctors and the like (ironic, eh?)

The Mission was pretty much the same deal. Abondoned office, no sign of life, no office equipment... nothing. Again, as I first suspected, it was in a crappy miniscule office in the heart of the industrial area, in a little two-tiered "strip office" set up. Very shoddy.

I am happy to announce that Dianetcs and Scientology in Victoria, is dead. Long live reason!
S toboi ostatsa dol'she

Girlfriend

Post by Girlfriend » Thu Sep 09, 2004 6:20 pm

That's good news, Oak, thanks. Guess they'll need to get one of their "celebrity beings" out there to spread the word. Hey - maybe they are regging in the Empress :shock: or on the ferries from Seattle (the ferries are a good place to leave entheta BTW).

Last time I was up that way we left a lot of xenu.net leaflets we'd made on the ferry from Seattle to Vic and peeked from our seats to see people reading them. They got left on the seats when we docked.

prevail

Post by prevail » Thu Sep 09, 2004 11:32 pm

Hee... Love the "suppressive subversion PR" BH! :)

This now marks the *second* failing of SCN to crack the nut of Vic. That first place in Quadra that I'm sure housed both a Dianetics *and* an org (both names were on the awning), and now this second "divide and conquer putsch" they've attempted has fallen flat on it's face. I don't think even Travolta having a ticker tape parade down Douglas St. with fluttering flags, cartwheeling clowns and the OSA singing "Scientology Forever" or Sea Org drones singing "We Come Back" songs could ever get the SCN to gain any momentum here again... Either we're too "in the know" WRT cult activity (remember that this city is one of the hubs of the world for such things), or we're just too damned apathetic to care about such organizations, so they starve for lack of interest.

I can just see it now; "Hey, Jim... I just read about this Dianetics thing opening.. Sounds really freaky. Wanna check it out?" "Nah, not right now man... mebbe some other time. Pass me another beer, would ya?"

(Meanwhile, at the org...)

[Insert sound of crickets chirping] :lol:
S toboi ostatsa dol'she

Girlfriend

Post by Girlfriend » Thu Sep 30, 2004 2:51 am

Edmonton cult recruitment:

The Church of Scientology has placed a large, yellow tent at Beaver Hills Park, blocking most of the Jasper Street entrance. There are no signs alerting people to what the tent is for until they get inside.

Rest of the article below, plus the email address of the paper:

"WRITE TO US:
Send your comments to kim_guttormson@cbc.ca"

http://edmonton.cbc.ca/regional/servlet ... ch20040929

Return to “Canada”