Canada orgs and missions

prevail

Post by prevail » Mon Oct 11, 2004 9:32 pm

Vancouver Org Update:

For those of you unfamiliar with the Vancouver Scientology set up, it sits in an area that's a stone's throw from one of the most renowned drug and poverty ridden areas of the city on a grimy street called West Hastings. The Dianetics bookstore is in the street storefront right next to the storefront that holds teh SCN Org.

I went to the area on the pretense of going to a nice, ecclectic little bookshop that carries a lot of Asian titles (I *did* in fact go there), but I made sure to give the org and store a couple of once overs and even took a pic from across the street.

It's hard to determine how many cars belong to Org members, because it's all street and parkade parking with the general public mixed in. The buildings are leased, not owned. I didn't go in because I had my wife and child with me and didn't want them tainted by the exposure nor leave them alone in that part of town.

Although the presentation from the outside could be called "nice", in the hour I was in the area, no one came or went. There was one SCN guy in the Org in the standard white shirt/tie combo and dark pants. In the Dianetics store, there was also no activity, not even an SCN worker, although both places were obviously open.

The Org (but not the Dianetics place) seems to have an upstairs area, but the glass is reflective gold tint stuff you can see just in the upper right of the pic. Those are probably the auditing/course rooms.

The funniest thing that I think is indicative of where the Org and Store are going though, is the sign that was in the window:

HELP WANTED[Image no longer available]
S toboi ostatsa dol'she

prevail

Post by prevail » Mon Oct 11, 2004 9:34 pm

Sorry, forgot to mention that the pic in question above was taken on a *Saturday* night, approx 5:30pm
S toboi ostatsa dol'she

Shikse

Toronto Pickets

Post by Shikse » Mon Aug 29, 2005 9:55 pm

Prevail wrote:Sorry, forgot to mention that the pic in question above was taken on a *Saturday* night, approx 5:30pm
I know this does not apply to Vancouver, but why have the pickets for any Toronto Locals disappeared. I have never been in, done alot of research, would love to do a picket

LMK
Shikse

nice_jaboos

Danforth Mission-34 muriel avenue-Toronto

Post by nice_jaboos » Fri Mar 03, 2006 7:50 am

i stopped by the danforth mission at 34 muriel avenue, and its actually someone's house, with all sorts of very friendly dogs and cats running around. the woman there, catherine, is super creepy, and says her husband runs some sort of natural health clinic down the street (jacanelo or something like that).

this mission does have things for sale, catherine tried to sell me things.

i have not been by the mission further down danforth, but intend to at some point.

The Target

Re: Danforth Mission-34 muriel avenue-Toronto

Post by The Target » Thu Jul 06, 2006 2:55 am

nice_jaboos wrote:i stopped by the danforth mission at 34 muriel avenue, and its actually someone's house, with all sorts of very friendly dogs and cats running around. the woman there, catherine, is super creepy, and says her husband runs some sort of natural health clinic down the street (jacanelo or something like that).

i have not been by the mission further down danforth, but intend to at some point.

I've been in this one if i remember correctly.
Is this the one with the stairs to the side from the other fenced off houses?
There's an upstairs and a downstairs. The downstairs entrence has a huge peephole and a garage style door beside the regular one. This house style place is neatly tucked away it seemed.
Am I remembering this one correctly?

nice_jaboos

Re: Danforth Mission-34 muriel avenue-Toronto

Post by nice_jaboos » Thu Jul 06, 2006 5:53 pm

The Target wrote:
nice_jaboos wrote:i stopped by the danforth mission at 34 muriel avenue, and its actually someone's house, with all sorts of very friendly dogs and cats running around. the woman there, catherine, is super creepy, and says her husband runs some sort of natural health clinic down the street (jacanelo or something like that).

I've been in this one if i remember correctly.
Is this the one with the stairs to the side from the other fenced off houses?
There's an upstairs and a downstairs. The downstairs entrence has a huge peephole and a garage style door beside the regular one. This house style place is neatly tucked away it seemed.
Am I remembering this one correctly?
i never noticed a peep hole, or the stairs, or a garage door. its just a normal house, but there are all sorts of things in catherines garden, and the house looks sorta creepy.

The Target

Post by The Target » Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:30 pm

Was there an upstairs and a downstairs entrance?

Post Person

Vancouver Org

Post by Post Person » Mon Jul 10, 2006 4:52 pm

Re: Prevail's post above: The tinted windows on the second floor of the Vancouver org are the dsa office, eds' office (husband and wife team), large stock room and the ethics offices as seen from Hastings and Homer Streets, as well as treasury and staff meeting room at inside area. Auditing is conducted in the basement. Staff course room and qual is in the basement, too. Public courses are taken on the main floor, middle of the building. It is a lonely place except for staff and staff family members. Events are mainly attended by staff only. One ed (I won't be putting anything to do with scientology in capital letters) announced this year that Victoria mission was back in operation.
Vancouver org is (was?) planning to launch an ideal org in New Westminster and are (were?) fund-raising. I don't know if this is still going on because no mention of it has been made for a month or so and in the recent version of Survive, Vancouver is featured but no mention again of the ideal org. Survive claims staff membership is booming at Vancouver org but the truth is they just had a major staff turnover. 5 long-timers I know for a fact are gone, plus a new one came and went in just a few months - possibly there were others that I don't know about.

Post Person

narconon Vancouver

Post by Post Person » Wed Jul 12, 2006 5:37 pm

Didn't know where else to post this but narconon Vancouver's info:

ed: Tibor Palatinus
Ph: 604-873-1762
info@youthaddiction.com

Tibor has been trying to get certification as a drug counsellor but has been unsuccessful. It is likely the CACCF that he applied to (Canadian Addiction Counsellors Certification Federation.) 2 of their key messages from their site www.caccf.ca/default.html are:

Ø The CACCF promotes, certifies and monitors the competency of addiction specific counsellors in Canada using current and effective practices, which are internationally recognized.
Ø The CACCF certification and its professional conduct review process provide public protection for counsellors, employers, regulatory agencies, clients and their families.

narconon likely doesn't fit in with their 'seclusion and isolation from family methodology.' plus he would have to have 2000 hours supervised counselling time.

Cory

Post by Cory » Wed Aug 09, 2006 5:33 am

The Victoria Mission is no longer dead. It has re-opened on Caledonia St. just a couple blocks from the Victoria Police station. Its run by a lady named Eileen. She has converted her house into the mission. Doesn't seem to have many members though. The wife and I attended the Dianetics Anniversary party there and only about 12 members showed, although she claimed Victoria had 30 members in it. None were new members either, all the members I had met were in Scientology for more than 10 years. Most since the seventies. They are obviously having a hard time recruiting here.

Return to “Canada”