Forgive Them For They Know Not What They Do

A place to post and debate the Church of Scientology.
Wieber

Post by Wieber » Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:21 pm

I've read books by people who were formerly involved in Scientology. I've read books about Scientology. I've read books about cults in general. So far none of them have discussed what I'm going to deal with here.

From reading the books on cults it becomes apparent very quickly that they all do the same basic things. There are variations in the details and specifics. I'm not going into the narrative of the actions they do. You can read about that in many books.

There reaches a point in a cult's development where the cult leader has accumulated more followers than they can deal with personally. The leader needs the members of the group to apply the leader's methods of coercion, deception, manipulation and control to bring more recruits into the cult, indoctrinate them, exploit them and then deploy them.

The training to do that really begins when a person comes into the cult and joins it. The practices of the cult are couched in an attractive lie full of promises of paradise for all, improved abilities, spiritual awakening, financial prosperity, personal freedom, improved relationships, improved political conditions, a saved world, and the list goes on.

The truth is this: The purpose of a cult is to provide the leader with wealth, comfort and resources.
References: Chapter 5, Captive Hearts Captive Minds by Madeleine Tobias and Janja Lalich and Terror, Love & Brainwashing by Alexandra Stein
If you are in a cult or were in a cult that is most likely a very difficult truth to accept. I know it was for me.

In training their followers to do the various actions involved with the cult leader's deception and manipulation the cult leader cannot tell the followers what the actual result of those actions entail. If the cult leader did that they would very quickly find themselves alone without anyone giving them their money, possessions, gifts and labor.

The result of this training consists of a group of followers who engage in actions that are detrimental, deleterious and malignant to themselves and others but that they believe are beneficial, benign, and helpful.

This behavior will continue within the cult after the leader dies. The behavior will likely continue with individuals who leave the cult, whether they do so on their own or are offloaded by the cult. Almost certainly, since people tend to want to help others, they will teach the methods of their training to others outside the cult.

Aside from the personal benefits from deprogramming I think it's important to go through the therapy, education and deconstruction involved with deprogramming in order to address and remove the cult leader's training such that the negative effects of it do not continue to contaminate the former cult member's new friends, associates, colleagues and family.
“Think wrongly if you please, but in all cases think for yourself.”
Doris Lessing

Don Carlo

Re: Forgive Them For They Know Not What They Do

Post by Don Carlo » Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:06 pm

Many true-believers will cling to their false God until death. Thus includes a number born in the 40's and 50's, like my own relative. It would humiliate them to face their simplicity in pulling in others and sometimes ruining their lives.

Wieber

Post by Wieber » Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:54 pm

Don Carlo wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:06 pm
Many true-believers will cling to their false God until death. Thus includes a number born in the 40's and 50's, like my own relative. It would humiliate them to face their simplicity in pulling in others and sometimes ruining their lives.
If they were to face that they would begin to become free from it.

I'm off the topic of my first post now. Reading Terror, Love & Brainwashing I have concluded that one of the best ways to interact with a cult member in order to get them to leave is to act in such a way as to give them, what Alexandra Stein calls, a stable attachment, with you. Without getting into the details and the technicalities in Stein's book, this means being non-threatening, friendly, non confrontational, and not attacking the person nor their attachment to their cult. According to Stein the attachment they have in their cult is a disorganized attachment that, among other things, induces dissociation in the cult member such that they cannot apply critical thinking with regard to their leader or their group. Offering a stable attachment should give them an alternative to their disorganized attachment and they may respond to it in such a manner that it makes it easier for them to walk away from their cult's abuse.

My little summary does not do justice to her book. I recommend reading it.
“Think wrongly if you please, but in all cases think for yourself.”
Doris Lessing

Don Carlo

Post by Don Carlo » Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:36 pm

Yes, I am the non-confrontational and friendly relative. I know trying to rub their noses in all the abuse scandals would never work.

Return to “Opinions & Debate”