Tony Ortega Interview

A place to post and debate the Church of Scientology.
User avatar
Radio Paul
Posts: 369
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:57 am

Tony Ortega Interview

Post by Radio Paul » Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:01 pm

I wanted to share with you all, that Tony O will be on my show this Monday the 16th of July 2012 from 10 to 11 PM EST. We will be taking calls and would love to hear from OCMB folks.

radio-paul.com

User avatar
dirty hippie
Posts: 185
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:23 pm

Re: Tony Ortega Interview

Post by dirty hippie » Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:27 pm

RP, you're doing great work. I'm sure the cult thought that you would have been worn down or handled by now. Take care of yourself.

User avatar
Smurf
Posts: 2680
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:10 am

Re: Tony Ortega Interview

Post by Smurf » Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:10 pm

RP... you really do need to start a Facebook page and become a member of one of the critc's groups there which has become HUGE. Your audience would be much bigger.

Many exes & critics are spending their time on FB now, then the boards.

User avatar
Radio Paul
Posts: 369
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:57 am

Re: Tony Ortega Interview

Post by Radio Paul » Sun Jul 15, 2012 4:43 am

Smurf wrote:RP... you really do need to start a Facebook page and become a member of one of the critc's groups there which has become HUGE. Your audience would be much bigger.

Many exes & critics are spending their time on FB now, then the boards.
For those thank want to like it

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Radio-Pau ... 3237466963

User avatar
sconetale
Posts: 259
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:02 am

Re: Tony Ortega Interview

Post by sconetale » Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:26 pm

I will never go back to facebook - I used to have a profile there but deleted it a couple of years ago.
Even if they would stick to their own policies, the aggregation of data facebook generates on its users is imho pretty dangerous, especially confronting an organization like OSA.

Shifting the discussion to facebook may look like a good strategy to reach a wider audience,
also to force people who post pro-Scientology to reveal their real identities.
But for anyone who prefers to stay anonymous for one reason or another and wants to keep their friends and families out of their own activities, facebook's waylaying strategy to aggregate the most personal, private and intimate information not only of themselves but also their friends and loved ones is somewhat problematic to say the least - it will naturally keep away a lot of people.

I really don't like to pay for my right to free speech by telling everybody my own real name, telephone number and address, who my friends and relatives are, how they look (photos), how old they are, where they live and work, where they are right now, et cetera.

The facebook platform has so many strategies to subvert the privacy settings of its users and tricky methods to fill in the blanks one leaves on one's own personal profile -
their privacy policy seems to change constantly and require constant vigilance.
The incident that prompted me to leave was a moment when all the things I had set to "visible only to myself" all of a sudden were made visible to all of my friends without notice... how can that just happen overnight?

Facebook then has this app interface that allows developers to access, aggregate and store the data of its users, to use it for whatever they want. What looks like a game or a funny little multiple-choice personality test might in fact be a harvesting scheme for personal data - by whomever!

Then there are intricate ways of social cross-referencing that link your data to what others say about you - image tagging, "how do you know xyz" - recently I read in the news that people even have been asked to check whether one of their facebook friends was using a "fake name" - and what their real name was.
I bet they also cross-correlate the IP addresses of the computers one connects from - I couldn't explain some of the spooky ads they were targeting towards me otherwise.

To make the long ramble shorter: Controlling who gets to know what about you and your personal/private life on facebook is worse than herding flee.
It would be really a big plus if we could encourage the use of a platform that does not have "transparent users" as the product that it sells.

P.S. this all being said... I'm really looking forward to the interview! :)
Last edited by sconetale on Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:39 am, edited 8 times in total.

User avatar
Smurf
Posts: 2680
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:10 am

Re: Tony Ortega Interview

Post by Smurf » Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:18 pm

Radio Paul wrote:
Smurf wrote:RP... you really do need to start a Facebook page and become a member of one of the critc's groups there which has become HUGE. Your audience would be much bigger.

Many exes & critics are spending their time on FB now, then the boards.
For those thank want to like it

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Radio-Pau ... 3237466963
RP. Some of the groups don't allow "commercial interests" on the groups, because, then they become open to anyone & everyone that wants to promote a company or a cause, and dilutes the purpose of the group.

Personal FB pages accepted only.

Don Carlo
Posts: 11728
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2005 6:20 am

Re: Tony Ortega Interview

Post by Don Carlo » Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:00 pm

I won't join Facebook as Don Carlo, either; your info security depends on too many employees, and their management wants too much info sharing. I trust Andreas, Frodo (who helps Andreas with the technical issues) and the other mods, to keep identities secret.

User avatar
Smurf
Posts: 2680
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:10 am

Re: Tony Ortega Interview

Post by Smurf » Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:35 pm

Don Carlo wrote:I won't join Facebook as Don Carlo, either; your info security depends on too many employees, and their management wants too much info sharing. I trust Andreas, Frodo (who helps Andreas with the technical issues) and the other mods, to keep identities secret.
That's certainly your perogative, but more & more ex-Scios and Indies are active on Facebook groups and not active as much on OCMB ESMB or WWP anymore.

User avatar
elwood
Posts: 567
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:34 pm
Location: Texas

Re: Tony Ortega Interview

Post by elwood » Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:25 am

Smurf wrote:
Don Carlo wrote:I won't join Facebook as Don Carlo, either; your info security depends on too many employees, and their management wants too much info sharing. I trust Andreas, Frodo (who helps Andreas with the technical issues) and the other mods, to keep identities secret.
That's certainly your perogative, but more & more ex-Scios and Indies are active on Facebook groups and not active as much on OCMB ESMB or WWP anymore.
I guess I'm all done then. I won't do Facebook.
When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that individual is crazy.
-- Dave Barry

User avatar
skeptic2girl
Posts: 1041
Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:14 am

Re: Tony Ortega Interview

Post by skeptic2girl » Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:19 am

One thing I'm wondering about -- although I'm sure the lines will be busy when it comes to calling into the show - is whether or not hte cult has tried to mess with Tony at all.
"The truth is out there."

User avatar
skeptic2girl
Posts: 1041
Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:14 am

Re: Tony Ortega Interview

Post by skeptic2girl » Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:38 am

skeptic2girl wrote:One thing I'm wondering about -- although I'm sure the lines will be busy when it comes to calling into the show - is whether or not hte cult has tried to mess with Tony at all.
^OR, hear what he has to say about Ethics Trouble.

Congratulations, Paul! Great job, Tony!

<3

ps: I liked how Tony described L.A. as... what... the Administrative Mecca of Scientology? Very apt!

And I thought it was cool how he said he didn't mind calling Scientology a church - despite some objections - because THEY call themselves a church, which just emphasizes the mismatch of their behavior with a what most people think of as a church. It's like their shining a huge spotlight on their own hypocrisy.
Last edited by skeptic2girl on Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The truth is out there."

User avatar
gray_geek
Posts: 102
Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:44 am

Re: Tony Ortega Interview

Post by gray_geek » Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:14 am

sconetale wrote:I will never go back to facebook - I used to have a profile there but deleted it a couple of years ago.
Even if they would stick to their own policies, the aggregation of data facebook generates on its users is imho pretty dangerous, especially confronting an organization like OSA.

Shifting the discussion to facebook may look like a good strategy to reach a wider audience,
also to force people who post pro-Scientology to reveal their real identities.
But for anyone who prefers to stay anonymous for one reason or another and wants to keep their friends and families out of their own activities, facebook's waylaying strategy to aggregate the most personal, private and intimate information not only of themselves but also their friends and loved ones is somewhat problematic to say the least - it will naturally keep away a lot of people.

I really don't like to pay for my right to free speech by telling everybody my own real name, telephone number and address, who my friends and relatives are, how they look (photos), how old they are, where they live and work, where they are right now, et cetera.

The facebook platform has so many strategies to subvert the privacy settings of its users and tricky methods to fill in the blanks one leaves on one's own personal profile -
their privacy policy seems to change constantly and require constant vigilance.
The incident that prompted me to leave was a moment when all the things I had set to "visible only to myself" all of a sudden were made visible to all of my friends without notice... how can that just happen overnight?

Facebook then has this app interface that allows developers to access, aggregate and store the data of its users, to use it for whatever they want. What looks like a game or a funny little multiple-choice personality test might in fact be a harvesting scheme for personal data - by whomever!

Then there are intricate ways of social cross-referencing that link your data to what others say about you - image tagging, "how do you know xyz" - recently I read in the news that people even have been asked to check whether one of their facebook friends was using a "fake name" - and what their real name was.
I bet they also cross-correlate the IP addresses of the computers one connects from - I couldn't explain some of the spooky ads they were targeting towards me otherwise.

To make the long ramble shorter: Controlling who gets to know what about you and your personal/private life on facebook is worse than herding flee.
It would be really a big plus if we could encourage the use of a platform that does not have "transparent users" as the product that it sells.

P.S. this all being said... I'm really looking forward to the interview! :)
Sconetale, very well written. I do agree 100% with your conclusions.
................
Facebook knows a LOT more about individual(s) then the East German STASI or USSR KGB. The data on Facebook is a lot more reliable than the STASI files. Why ? Because the users volunteer to give out their personal data. They do not want to lie to their friends. In case of STASI (and | or KGB | or their USA counterparts ) need to collect data from public databanks, validate the info and build the interconnections between persons. Their data files are never up-to-date. On Facebook is just the opposite. Relations and interconnections are up-to-date.

User avatar
Radio Paul
Posts: 369
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:57 am

Re: Tony Ortega Interview

Post by Radio Paul » Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:37 pm

FOR YOUR LISTENING ENJOYMENT

http://youtu.be/hTJJjAA818E

User avatar
bubbler
Posts: 355
Joined: Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:54 am
Location: USA

Re: Tony Ortega Interview

Post by bubbler » Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:59 am

Facebook reality? You decide:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aQu_cY7-G4

Facebook satire? You decide:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmIWP_XL-3A

:shock:

User avatar
Radio Paul
Posts: 369
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:57 am

Re: Tony Ortega Interview

Post by Radio Paul » Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:03 pm

I thought you might enjoy another interview I did with a guy that takes on religions.
http://youtu.be/cl-k7Smtiag

Post Reply

Return to “Opinions & Debate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 15 guests