The Great Scientology Book Scam

A place to post and debate the Church of Scientology.
J. Swift

The Great Scientology Book Scam

Post by J. Swift » Mon Nov 28, 2005 7:23 am

Let me tell you how Scientology works in the book business:

1. It has Scientologists buy multiple copies of Hubbard's books from bookstores and internet sites such as Amazon in order to keep Hubbard on bestseller lists. These books are then returned to the CoS by the Scientologists who purchased them and are shipped out again and again to be repurchased over and over by Scientologists. It is all a Scientology scam to make Hubbard appear to be a very popular author. Hubbard's books are terrible. Flip through a few pages of Dianetics when you are in B. Dalton or another store and see for yourself the wretched 1950's prose. It is not "Science" it is rather all poorly written lies that are not substantiated by any scientific tests whatsoever.

2. Scientologists pay for Hubbard's books and donate them to public libraries so that the public has wide access to Hubbard's books. Along with the phony "bestselling author" scheme, the scam works to make the public think that Hubbard is so interesting that public libraries are buying copies of his books at the requests of readers. Nothing could be further from the truth. To my knowlege from speaking with the LA County Library, no public library has ever paid a penny for a Hubbard book and in fact they don't have room for the many copies they are given. I have purchased at least one dozen Hubbard books for a $2.00 each from the LA County Library book sales days. These books are brand new and have never been checked out. The LA County Library sells them because they are never checked out or are overstock from donations.

3. Scientologists are ordered to go into public libraries and steal all copies of books critical of Scientology or LRH and to destroy these books. Whenever a newspaper comes out with a critical article, Scientologists hit the streets early and get as many copies of the paper as possible and destroy them.

Scientology has worked for years to push Hubbard's books and to destroy any books critical of Scientology or Hubbard. This is how vicious and dirty Scientology is: They destroy free speech, destroy critical books, and push Hubbard's books into every place possible. Here is some court testimony from Lermanet regarding this matter:

Books Critical of Scientology Stolen and Destroyed.

"Q. Mr. Scarff, have you now located the two exhibits that you had tried to locate with reference to stealing library records?"

A. Yes, sir, I did.

"Q. Turning your attention to Exhibit-99, what is that? "

A. This is a letter that I sent to Ginnie Cooper, the Director of Libraries for Multnomah County, which is the county where Portland, Oregon rests. And it is concerning an operation in which I was a part of a -- part of which has been a long time policy within the Church of Scientology to eradicate not only from what I have spoken to already on court files but eradicating from library systems throughout the country, any information that is critical or adverse to the Church of Scientology. "And specifically within the library systems within the City of Portland, Oregon, I as well as other individuals within the Church of Scientology just as a matter of policy were ordered to destroy any and all critical materials adverse to the Church of Scientology. And this letter is to the Director of Libraries informing her that all of such books that are on file at the library which have been listed as "lost" are not lost. They had been destroyed. And I list six books there. "Specifically one book refers to -- entitled "A Piece of Blue Sky" by Jon Atack, who is a former high ranking member of the Church of Scientology who wrote an expose on Scientology. "And I recall there were approximately four to five copies of this book in the library all which were listed as lost. And this letter explains to Ms. Cooper, basically, that the Church of Scientology destroys materials on a regular basis which they consider to be adverse, including if she were to check the library's copy of Time Magazine dated May 6th of l991 they will notice that that article had been cut from the magazine because the Church of Scientology considered it to be adverse. "Exhibit-100 is a response to me from this library director in which she did a full inventory of the books that they had and claims that several of the books appear to be out of print now and the library currently has no copies. I refer to one, the book entitled "Inside Scientology" by Robert Kaufman. She said the library has no copies. "No. 2, "The Scandal of Scientology" by Paulette Cooper. She responds the library currently has no copies. "No. 3, "The Hidden Story of Scientology", by Omar Garrison. She responds there are two copies in the library and there are no copies at the central library. And it is out of print. "No. 4, book entitled wL. Ron Hubbard, Messiah or Mad Man" by Bent Corydon. She responds there are supposed to be currently 13 copies in the library. However, seven of these copies are currently listed as lost and there are two copies on order to replace the two copies lost at the central library. "No. 5, book entitled "Bare-Faced Messiah: The True Story of L. Ron Hubbard" by Russell Miller. "She responds there are supposed to be four copies in the county library, two of the four copies are listed as lost. And the book is out of print."No. 6. "A Piece of Blue Sky", she responds there are supposed to be three copies in the county library, two of these three are currently listed as lost. "She refers to the Time magazine article dated May 6th of 1991 and claims that the article is on microfilm and therefore the issue can be found in microfilm, but the print copy is missing. "She also states that she instituted safeguards to protect reordenng these books based upon the letter that I sent her.

"Q. Now, turning your attention to Exhibit-99, the last paragraph on that document, that letter states: 'These missing books were in fact stolen from the library and destroyed in fulfillment of an internal directive by the church which instructs its members to eradicate all published materials critical of Scientology and to replace it with pro-Scientology materials. ' "

A. That's correct.

"Q. How do you know that these missing books were in fact stolen from the library? "

A. Because I was very much a part of the effort to steal the books from the library and destroy them.

"Q. Was anyone else involved in that effort? "

A. Gwen Mayfield was involved. Angie Mann was involved. I know that her husband Charles Mann to have been involved. Like I said, this was an effort that Scientology has long had. I even recall back in '82 that John Carmichael had talked about removing stuff from the library and destroying it. And it was Gwen Mayfield who told me how to remove a book from the library. She showed me that within the binding of a hardback book there is a long, thin, metal strip which sets off an alarm when something like that goes through the sensors in the library and she said all you had to do was take a razor blade, slice along the bindings of the book, pull out the metal strip, rub it into a little ball and flick it away. It takes away the security aspect of this book. It was very easy to get away with it by ripping out the little metal band.

"Q. Gwen Mayfield is part of the --"

A. Gwen Mayfield is an official of the Church of Scientology and director of the Office of Special Affairs whose job in part is to do such activities as I have just described. This would be considered a covert operation. "This is not the first time this has happened although not in a library situation. When Julie Christofferson had her trial in Portland in 1985 one newspaper by the name of Willemette Week published an expose of the Church of Scientology in which the newspaper later learned that approximately, I think the number was, 10,000 copies of the newspaper had been stolen from different places throughout the city because of the desire from the Church or officials of the church not to have any of the readership within the general public to have access to these newspapers. "And it is my understanding that the newspaper later sued the church and the church chose to end and settle the case.

"Q. How do you know about that activity? "

A. It was common knowledge within the church. It was common knowledge in the church at the time because I was involved in one other operation with John Carmichael at that time against Julie Christofferson and you have to understand that within the OSA and any time someone succeeds in pulling off a covert operation, people don't sit around a table and talk seriously about what just happened. It is a celebrative occasion. It is like somebody needs to pull out the wine and cheese and we Will all celebrate because everyone was laughing and John Carmichael thought it was quite comical that people would try to look for a copy of the Willemette Week and there would be none found anywhere within the city.

"Q. Were you involved in the removal of those newspapers? "

A . Yes.

"Q. In what manner were you involved? "

A. I would go to 7-Elevens where at that time I believe they were being sold for like a buck apiece. And I would grab a whole stash of them and I would walk out of the store with them and destroy them.

"Q. And what was the purpose of doing that? "

A. To get them out of the store so no one could see them.

"Q. Why didn't you want anyone to see them? "

A. Because there was information in there, although not confidential, but it was critical of the Church of Scientology. And anything that is critical of the Church of Scientology does not deserve to be in the public. The Church of Scientology takes a very strong stand on constitutional rights, but they believe that constitutional rights only apply to them and nobody else. And it is okay to have positive information about Scientology out there, but if anyone dares to publish anything critical, then it has to be eradicated. It can't be seen. "And in response to the library operations, you can go into the libraries where these books have been stolen and you will notice a whole slew of pro-Scientology books that have been donated to the library. The Multnomah County Library has scores of Scientology courses that are offered on a correspondence course level that are in the libraries listed as donations, but anything critical has been eradicated." (Deposition of Garry L. Scarff, at p. 333, in. 1 - p. 340, in. 24.)

Operations Against Richard Behar Descibed; Scarff Involved in Financial Scams for CSI; Scarff Directed to Murder Cynthia Kisser of CAN. and Move to Brazil Afterwards.

"Q. Were you subsequently involved with the Office of Special Affairs subsequent to May of 1991? "

A. I was not involved directly with the Special Affairs office until October of '91.

"Q. After your involvement with the Office of Special Affairs commenced, did you ever hear any reference made within the Scientology organization to the Time magazine article of May 1991? "

A. Plenty. Plenty of conversations regarding that. And how they were going to strike at Richard Behar.

"Q. How did the Scientology organization view the Time magazine article of May 6th, 1991? "

A. Very, very critically. I think hostile would be a better word for it. And with a desire to wreak revenge on the individuals that cooperated in that article and the comments that I heard is that "We are not going to seek justice against Mr. Beher. We are going to destroy Mr. Behar. He is going to wish to God he never published that article in the first place. "I think it is why Bowles & Moxon paid Mr. Ingram so much money to travel to New York to try to find some means with which to incriminate Mr. Behar to destroy his credibility.

"Q. Now, do you recall any such conversations as you have just mentioned to me? Any specific conversations with any specific members of the Scientology organization? "

A. Well, yes. I mean on a general level with members of the church just as they do as a matter of policy within the church, they deny anything that is critical towards the church so there was a lot of denial going on and of course if anyone was to walk up to a Scientologist and ask him about the article they would deny to the teeth that anything in that article was true and it was all made up and it was all biased and that the individuals mentioned in the article including your client Steve Fishman is a liar and he is a criminal and all you have to do is look at their past and you know that they can't be accepted for any type of credibility. "On a general level it was just a bold-face lie created to damage by the Church of Scientology which they alone would like you to believe has all the credibility in the world...

ref: http://www.lermanet.com/cos/scaarf2.html

lermanet_com

hot author status called illusion

Post by lermanet_com » Mon Nov 28, 2005 4:27 pm

http://www.lermanet2.com/scientologynew ... 031590.htm

HUBBARD HOT-AUTHOR STATUS CALLED ILLUSION
San Diego Union
April 15, 1990
front page article
by Mike McIntyre

In 1981, St. Martin's Press was offered a sure thing. L. Ron Hubbard, the pulp writer turned religious leader, had written his first science-fiction novel in more than 30 years. If St. Martin's published it, Hubbard aides promised the firm, subsidiary organizations of Hubbard's Church of Scientology would buy at least 15,000 copies.

"Battlefield Earth," priced at $24.95, was released the next year in hardcover, rare for a science-fiction title. Despite mixed reviews, the book quickly sold 120,000 copies - enough to place it on The New York Times best-seller list.

"Five, six, seven people at a time would come in, with cash in hand, buying the book," said Dave Dutton, of Dutton's Books, a group of four stores in the Los Angeles area. "They'd blindly ask for the book. They would buy two or three copies at a time with $50 bills. I had the suspicion that there was something not quite right about it."

Dutton only suspected what others claim to know for fact. The book's sudden success, say dozens of former Scientologists and book dealers, was the result of a church plan to create the illusion of L. Ron Hubbard as a hot author. The church, they say, sustains the myth - 15 New York Times best sellers and counting - through dubious marketing tactics and the manipulation of an obedient flock of consumers.

The church's orchestration of best sellers, say former Scientologists, is merely a public relations means to a larger end. The goal is to establish an identity for Hubbard other than as the founder of a controversial religious movement. His broadened appeal can then be used to recruit new members into the Church of Scientology.

The church uses two businesses to peddle its books, Author Services Inc., a Hollywood literary agency, sells the rights to publish Hubbard's works to Bridge Publications Inc., a Los Angeles company.

A Church of Scientology spokeswoman, Leisa Goodman, said that the church, Author Services and Bridge are seperate and independent. But former Scientology officials say that Bridge and Author Services are staffed almost exclusively by Scientologists and operate within the church hierarchy.

"Author Services used to always think of schemes to make more money," said Vicki Azneran, the former inspector general of the Religious Technology Center, an organization that former church members say runs the entire Scientology empire. "Bridge gets the money from a totally controlled cult population.

"They send people into bookstores. You get a phone call: 'Your job is to go down to the B. Dalton. Take as many people as you need to buy up all the books so they'll have to reorder.'"

Numerous calls to Author Services were not returned. Church and Bridge officials denied that sales of Hubbard's books have been artificially inflated.

continues HERE:

http://www.lermanet2.com/scientologynew ... 031590.htm
Do you THINK scientology works?
Then read [url=http://ocmb.xenu.net/ocmb/viewtopic.php?t=20255&start=285]THIS PAGE[/url] here on XENU.NET

J. Swift

Post by J. Swift » Mon Nov 28, 2005 4:44 pm

One of the worst movies ever made, Battlefield Earth starring Scientologist John Travolta, was based on the L. Ron Hubbard book of the same name. The book and the movie were savaged by the critics, yet Scientology sent every Scientologist possible into the theaters on the opening weekend of the movie. The fraud to make Hubbard seem like a best-seller continued into the movies.

First came the book, a ponderous 894 page door sleep-aid that librarians call a "door stop."

From the article Arnie linked:

At 819 pages, "Battlefield Earth" was thought at the time to be the longest science-fiction novel ever published. But it was only a preview of what was to follow.

Readers contemplating the 10-volume "Mission Earth," a sprawling saga of an alien invasion, were faced with more than 5,000 pages and 1,354,000 words.

The science-fiction community refers to the series as "a doorstop," said Bruce Pelz, a UCLA librarian and science fiction historian.

The New York Times gave up after the first volume, dismissing it as "a paralyzingly slow-moving adventure enlivend by interludes of kinky sex, sendups of effeminate homosexuals and a disregard of conventional grammar so global as to suggest a satire on the possibility of communication through language."

But like "Dianetics" and "Battlefield Earth" before it, copies of "Mission Earth" almost flew off the shelves.

Once again, former church officials say, a captive audience of Scientologists was marshaled to move the books through the checkout stands and onto the best-seller lists. But by now, the church had also fine-tuned a complex marketing apparatus. The tactics employed ranged from innovative and aggressive advertising to almost giveaway discounts offered to stores reporting to best-seller lists.

Then came the Battlefield Earth the movie:

Wikipedia says: Released in over 3,300 theaters, Battlefield Earth grossed a total of $29,725,663 worldwide, falling far short of its $73 million production budget and $30 million in estimated marketing costs.

Film critics had fun bashing the movie for being awful:

"Battlefield Earth begins as retro pulp and ends up, figuratively speaking, as tons of wet cardboard."
-- Jay Carr, BOSTON GLOBE

"Younger, less discriminating viewers (5-year-old boys) will eat it up."
-- Cody Clark, MR. SHOWBIZ

"What this movie lacks in simple logic, it makes up for in its apparent unintentional campy humor."
-- Paul Clinton (CNN), CNN

0.5/4 "Battlefield Earth is like taking a bus trip with someone who has needed a bath for a long time. It's not merely bad; it's unpleasant in a hostile way."
-- Roger Ebert, CHICAGO SUN-TIMES

"The dialogue is inane, the acting wooden."
-- Ted Gideonse, NEWSWEEK

"Battlefield Earth is just a lumbering, poorly photographed piece of derivative sci-fi drivel, full of grunting extras scampering around in animal pelts and more dank, trash-strewn sets than I ever care to see again."
-- Owen Gleiberman, ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY

2/4 "Is it worth seeing once? Sure."
-- Bob Graham, SAN FRANCISCO CHRONICLE

"It's generic sci-fi right down to the last detail."
-- Robert Horton, FILM.COM

"Battlefield Earth is as relentlessly grim as it is artless, and Elia Cmiral's bombastic score also makes it painful to listen to."
-- Peter Howell, TORONTO STAR

"A truly dire and silly rehash of Planet of the Apes."
-- Lou Lumenick, NEW YORK

1/4 "Just too absurd to pay full price to see in a theater."
-- Jeffrey M. Anderson, COMBUSTIBLE CELLULOID

5/4 "John Travolta and Forest Whitaker do some Hollywood slumming in this tenement of a sci-fi thriller. (10-year-olds may enjoy.) "
-- Ross Anthony, HOLLYWOOD REPORT CARD

"Sitting through the summer's first monolithic monstrosity, Battlefield arth, was one of the most painfully excruciating experiences of my life."
-- Joe Baltake, SACRAMENTO BEE

"Wooden acting, sappy melodrama and illogical plot lines."
-- Philip Booth, ORLANDO WEEKLY

"Robin did not review "Battlefield Earth""
-- Robin Clifford, REELING REVIEWS

2.5/4 "The characters are so deliciously absurd."
-- Cornell & Petricelli, CINEMASENSE.COM

0/4 "I cannot help but think that maybe [Travolta's] laughing that he was able to sucker people into pouring millions of dollars toward making such an unspeakable waste."
-- Michael Dequina, MR. BROWN'S MOVIES

0/4 "Blame this mess on Travolta."
-- Judith Egerton, COURIER-JOURNAL (LOUISVILLE, KY)

0.5/4 "The film is a disjointed mumble of special effects, pretentious acting, a cacophonous soundtrack and dialogue unworthy of even the cheesiest B-movie of yesteryear."
-- Michael Elliott, MOVIE PARABLES

0.5/4 "It's probably obvious by now that Battlefield Earth is far from cerebral or anything even remotely serious."
-- Marc Fortier, REEL.COM

"No, it doesn’t rise to the appalling heights of awfulness of such legendary mega-bombs as Ishtar or Burn Hollywood Burn. It hasn’t the wit."
-- Steven D. Greydanus, DECENT FILMS GUIDE

"Battlefield Earth has the feel of a movie made by a precocious 8-year-old with access to too many leftover costumes from Clan of the Cave Bear and Star Trek: The Next Generation."
-- Arne Johnson, CITYSEARCH

"Big-budget, little-intelligence entertainment."
-- Lisa Andrews, POPCORN

5/10 "The plot depends on the most ludicrous decisions and senseless actions ever made by a thinking race."
-- Sean Axmaker, SEATTLE POST-INTELLIGENCER

0/4 "I hated this movie, and I had a great time doing it."
-- Rob Blackwelder, SPLICEDWIRE

1/4 "Is it as bad as advertised? Oh yes, very much so."
-- Shay Casey, REC.ARTS.MOVIES.REVIEWS

1/4 "Is 'Battlefield Earth' as bad as they say? Yes."
-- David Cornelius, HOLLYWOOD BITCHSLAP

"Battlefield Earth simply asks too much and delivers too little."
-- Matt Crenson, ASSOCIATED PRESS

"The narrative is unclear beyond this one fact: Apes control the planet and humans are their slaves. Oops. Wrong movie -- but not by much."
-- Duane Dudek, MILWAUKEE JOURNAL SENTINEL

"As it gets more loudly ludicrous, with destruction coming in vast waves, you don't think 'piece of cake' but 'piece of (oops).'"
-- David Elliott, SAN DIEGO UNION-TRIBUNE

"There is no reason for this sci-fi movie not to be rooted in some notion."
-- Enrique Fernandez, SOUTH FLORIDA SUN-SENTINEL

1/10 "Now that it's finally on the screen, we discover that the science-fiction epic Travolta considered a Holy Grail is silly junk."
-- Jack Garner, ROCHESTER DEMOCRAT AND CHRONICLE

7/10 "Despite starting off like a bad Star Trek episode, this film eventually graduates to a higher level."
-- JoBlo, JOBLO'S MOVIE EMPORIUM

2/10 "So overwrought, overacted and overwhelmingly inept that it must be seen to be believed."
-- Edward Johnson-Ott, NUVO NEWSWEEKLY

ref:
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/battlefield_earth/

lermanet_com

Post by lermanet_com » Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:54 am

The member-book-buying to boost sales was used in the Selfosophy episode of The Millenium Series on Fox.

That Selfosophy version was hysterical...

- Selfosophy is clearly a take-off of the religion of Scientology, (one of my profs once told me that they became a "Church" simply to avoid taxes). The founder of the Scientology is L. Ron Hubbard. His research into the "boundless spirit of adventure" did not result in Scientology, but another subject he called "Dianetics". Dianetics addresses and handles the effects of the spirit on the body and supposedly helps provide relief from unwanted sensations and emotions, accidents, injuries and ailments caused or aggravated by mental stress.

- Hubbard was good friends with writer, Robert A. Heinlein (Stranger in a Strange Land, Starship Troopers). Some say that the two once had a conversation that went like this.

Hubbard: Bet I could start a religion.
Heinlein: Bet you can't.

And this was the birth of Scientology!

following from:
http://www.morganandwongonline.com/jose2.htm#inside

- The Onan-o-graph is similar to an actual Scientologists' instrument, the E-meter, which operates in a similar manner to a lie detector. *

- Scientologists document in their internal literature that suppressive persons or enemies of the church should be labeled as (some ridiculous secret word I can't recall) - and the Scientologists urge to litigate as often as possible - they wouldn't use the word revenge, but that's pretty much what it entails! *

- there was an actual writer who came under persecution from the Scientologists, like Ratfinkovitch. His name was Cyril Vosper and he was a top level Scientologist in England who published a book revealing their greatest secrets. Scientologists attempted to have the book banned, using England's very strict libel laws, but the attempt was blocked. Prior to his writing the book, after expressing doubts about the 'religion' Vosper was deemed a "Suppressive Person" and his life nearly ruined by church members. The book was called The Mind Benders. *

- The cover of the novel Selfosophy: The Power of Positive Negation is nearly identical to the cover of Hubbard's "bible", Dianetics.

- The "Hollywood Is Full of Scientologists" joke is referenced in the episode. Frank and Giebelhouse visit Seattle's Selfosophy Institution. The Selfosophy Representative (who looks like a mailman) invites them into his office and his walls are lined with autographed pictures of Gillian Anderson (a proud Selfosophist!). He then brings up an actor named Bobby Wingood (David Duchovny on the movie poster) who appeared in such films as "Mr. Ne'er Do Well" and "Operation Box Office". This is a little joke made in lieu of David's first starring role (post The X-Files) and box-office disaster, Playing God. Bobby Wingood is a derivation of X-Files executive producer, Robert Goodwin.
Then read [url=http://ocmb.xenu.net/ocmb/viewtopic.php?t=20255&start=285]THIS PAGE[/url] here on XENU.NET

barky

Post by barky » Wed Nov 30, 2005 4:34 am

The only thing I sort of take issue with J. Swift's earlier post is the bad writing.

Something about Dianetics really appealed to me, so much I sped-read it twice within a week. Then it reeled me in and I was hooked.

And just to be clear, I don't consider myself an idiot. I had excellent SAT scores and an IQ of 145 long before I heard of Scn, was always a great student and have had a pretty successful life (my Scn mistake aside :roll: ).

So something about that book hooked me. In some ways there has to good, but devious, writing involved, for it created the effect he intended, which is to get me into Scn.

Now that I see things through the new eyes of a "former", I want to try to go back and re-analyze DMSMH, and maybe post new insights as to why it hooked me.

Maybe it would be helpful to others who are "in" who got hooked in similar fashion (although, anecdotally, I think fewer got in via DMSMH than through other means, like FSMing).

Barky

Don Carlo

Post by Don Carlo » Wed Nov 30, 2005 4:38 am

Dianetics bombastically claims to be truth, and offers a marvelously self-centered path to FEELING (Scientolopgy calls it "knowing") that you are better than other people. Any proof to the contrary would be "suppressive." Unfortunately, this appeals to many people.

lermanet_com

Post by lermanet_com » Wed Nov 30, 2005 4:41 am

barky,

you REALLY must read William Sargant's "Battle for the mind"

http://www.lermanet.com/scientology/sci ... munism.htm

FAQ: Why Does Scientology Demonize Psychiatry?

Hubbard's Scientology has, as Dire Straits sang in "The Man is too Strong" from their Brothers in Arms album: "Legalized robbery, called it belief".

In Scientology and Communism we have fundamental research by Pavlov exploited and used to create Orwellian societies.

All totalitarian states depend upon suppressing the open discourse of Democratic societies

Sargant describes how the moment of 'conversion' is accomplished by the inducement of a transient overload, a mental collapse, a surrender - the inducement of a point where the brain can no longer process data. I would use the analogy, which was not available to Sargant 50 years ago, of a mental reboot with a new operating system.

The repeatedly maligned and abused treatment of electroshock or insulin shock, were based on this same tenet, of providing just enough electric shock or low sugar shock, to cause, a reboot of the brain's operating system.

And, even after I was already completely convinced, and astounded, that Pavlov was the commonality between Communism and Scientology... that Hubbard was in fact, 'duplicating Pavlov"... I found this line:

"In Pavlov's tests, "the dog would be given a definite signal, such as the beating of a metronome at a certain rate, or :
the passing of a weak electric current into its leg..., before being given food....."

Hubbard duplicated Lenin's mind control techniques in the United states, only he called it Dianetics and Scientology!

Battle for the Mind
A Physiology of Conversion and Brainwashing
How Evangelists, Psychiatrists, Politicians, and Medicine Men can change your beliefs and behavior.
by William Sargant
Pub: Malor Books, Cambridge, MA 02238

In scientology, one is given attention and validation, and a little subliminal taste of electricity. That is your food in exchange for your wallet,.....while it's members drool on command. Hubbard took William Sargant's research, and Pavlov literally .

End note: I received a phone call from a very old fellow who asked me if I had heard that when Hubbard was in a Navy Hospital after his exceptionally lackluster stint in the US Navy he read a manuscript that was being passed around for review and commentary by returning veterans by one of the clinicians.. This telephone call was in 1996 after the media exposure for my posting of the story of Xenu and the body thetans to the net in 1995 which eventually resulted in, ten years later, Xenu becoming a household word, due to Comedy Central's South Park and many others..
Was that clinician, William Sargant?

When long time activist Ida Camburn sent me William Sargent's book "Battle for the MIND" in approximately 2002, I remembered that telephone call... and also remembered Hubbard bragging in Scientology materials about how fast he wrote Dianetics... it then occurred to me, that Dianetics' reputation for its use of many uncommon adjectives and words.. may have been due to Hubbard's use of a synonym book to substitute the commonly known words used by William Sargant, in order to disguise Hubbard's plagarism. This also explains why Hubbard demonizes psychiatrists... so that those Hubbard tricked into becoming Scientologists won't find out that Dianetics was stolen from the state of the art of Psychotherapy of WWII......

Arnie Lerma
(c) 2003, 2005 Arnaldo Lerma

ntheta

Post by ntheta » Wed Nov 30, 2005 5:34 am

Have you ever looked at the Amazon.com pages for "A Piece of Blue Sky" and "Messiah or Madman"? The cult members purchase those critical books along with Hubbard books so that the "People Who Bought this Also Bought" section shows all Hubbard books.

The book review section of these pages is also very revealing. The cult members are terribly poor at grammar and spelling. I thought Hubbard followers were incredibly intelligent thanks to his "tech". Not so.

I really pity the these people. It is laughable on one hand, but on the other, it is truly tragic.

magoo1

Post by magoo1 » Wed Nov 30, 2005 8:37 am

Barky.........

Interesting for you to say that. I too got in due to Dianetics, but it wasn't the excellent writing that got to me. I was fascinated with the concept of learning how to Clear others. I only read up to through the first few chapters, put down the book, and a few months later had a fight with my Dad. Aftter that, I packed my bags, quit college for the third time,
and hitchhiked (In 1969) from Chicago to Los Angeles!

However, years later I became a "Flag Legionaire" who helped put on what were called, "Book One Seminars". (Book one is Hubbard's first: Dianetics). There I learned that the vast majority of people couldn't get through Dianetics, due to how it was written.

Some of the people who had THE most difficult time with Dianetics, as Book one style (no meter)............were the highest trained auditors.

The higher trained they were, the more difficult it was to get them to just 'get it'. Most Scientologists had never read all of Dianetics until they made it mandatory, after we began doing the Book One Seminars and they realized how few Scientologists had read it, and could use Dianetics as it was meant to be. Even then, I don't think it became mandatory until the Solo Course, which is quite a ways up the Bridge.

Re Dianetics, also I worked with RPR: Ron's Public Relations Office (Magoo waves to Kay Connally and the gang there). They would have Scientologists go out and buy tons of Dianetics books, to pad the stats and drive Dianetics up the chart to #1.

Once again, they saw nothing wrong with that: In their eyes, that WAS the "Greatest Good for the Greatest Number of Dynamics", and thus OK. :roll:

HA! :lol:

Tory/Magoo~~Dancing in the Moonlight~~ 8)

nowirehangers

Post by nowirehangers » Wed Nov 30, 2005 11:21 am

I have trouble sleeping. I'm trying to cut down on my sleeping pills. I bought a cheap copy of Hubbard's book "Slaves of Sleep", and yes.... it actually works sometimes. I just finished the first chapter last night before I couldn't stay awake anymore...

barky

Post by barky » Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:10 pm

Tory, part of the reason I got into DMSMH may have to do with the fact I'm more technically-minded than literary-minded. When I was a kid I'd just sit and read the encyclopedia! College textbooks and what-not were never a problem. I have no idea exactly how relevant that is, it's morning and I haven't properly assembled my thoughts. :P

But maybe that's the reason it appealed to me, because, at times, DMSMH reads like an old college textbook.

Barky

Ladybird

Post by Ladybird » Wed Nov 30, 2005 7:17 pm

I got into scientology by reading Dianetics. It was in my College library, in the Philosophy Section. Some one had stuck a trifold flyer of the OCA test in the back of the book, so I filled it out and sent it in. Within a few days a couple scientologists about my age showed up at my house, and were very nice and friendly and invited me to a "party" (EVENT). The event was at a fancy hotel and lots of movie stars and other famous people were there, and I was very impressed.

Slowly, on a "gradient scale" (scn term) I got auditing, did some courses, joined staff, joined the Sea Org...and now here I am 30 years later, pissed off as hell at wasting my life, ruining my family and finances and future, and all for a scam!

I consider myslf very lucky to have survived with at least half of my brain intact, and have spent alot of time getting most of my family out.

Many people were not so lucky, see: http://www.whyaretheydead.net/

Ladybird

lermanet_com

Post by lermanet_com » Sat Dec 10, 2005 5:22 am

Dear Ladybird,

How did Hubbard's twisted version of 1943 Psychiatric Abreactive therapy work for you?

I was basically a FRAUD the way it was represented as HUBBARD's "INVENTION"....

He stole it from Psychiatrist WIlliam Sargant..

LINK

Arnie Lerma
Deprogrammer
703 241 1498

Return to “Opinions & Debate”