Was L. Ron Hubbard Sexually Molested as a Child?

A place to post and debate the Church of Scientology.
lulu_belle

Post by lulu_belle » Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:14 am

This thread reminded me of the recent (and, I feel, brilliant) review of Dianetics that was in Salon.

http://dir.salon.com/story/books/review ... index.html

All self-help books -- and for all its attempts at intellectual hauteur, "Dianetics" is just that -- resort to examples and case studies, and those examples tend to reflect the values of their time and the author. When "Dianetics" was first published in 1950, pop psychology books were still widely read by men (now, it's mostly a women's genre), and they often tackled such problems as how to get ahead at the office and deal with wives who nagged or withheld sex -- the concerns of the average middle-class '50s guy.

"Dianetics" is way off the reservation in this department. Certain motifs keep recurring with a compulsive regularity that suggests Hubbard himself was anything but clear of past traumas. Eventually, these recurring images and examples gel into a sad and scary narrative that must have had particular power for Hubbard, since it keeps cropping up throughout the book.

It involves an adulterous wife and a brutal husband. The wife becomes pregnant (presumably by her lover) and fears discovery of the affair. She tries repeatedly to abort the pregnancy on her own, using orange sticks and other household objects. Her husband, suspecting the truth, beats her, punching her pregnant belly, calling her a "whore" and "no good." When the child is born, the parents pretend it was wanted, but the child's only true ally is a grandmother, who thwarted the mother's attempt to abort him and cares for the child when he's sick. Eventually, the mother starts beating the child, using many of the same insults her husband has flung at her.

This horrific tale never appears in its entirety in "Dianetics," but the book is haunted by it. Every time Hubbard reached into his mind for an example of how a fetus might come to feel pain, or how an engram "keys in," or how engrams are passed on through generations, he came up with a piece of this story.

The prevalence of physical violence -- almost exclusively violence -- in "Dianetics" makes itself felt early on. Among the first examples in the book (meant to illustrate the condition of "unconsciousness") describes a woman being knocked down and kicked by her husband, and beaten women appear throughout with bizarre regularity. Hubbard also seemed to be obsessed with attempted abortion, which he believed to be widespread. Admittedly, when "Dianetics" was written, legal medical abortion wasn't available in the U.S., but even so, the assertion that "twenty or thirty abortion attempts is not uncommon" among women who aren't Clears is simply demented.

From reading "Dianetics" alone, you can glean a picture of Hubbard as a man wrestling with mental illness, who saw his mind as a potentially superhuman machine beset by invaders and parasites. Without knowing anything about his life, you can tell that this is someone raised in an environment of betrayal, secrecy, bullying and violence, someone who stands a good chance of re-creating the same conditions in his adult life if he's not careful. You can figure out all of this just from reading "Dianetics," like I did. Then, afterward, you can go on the Web and check out the many sites devoted to critiquing Scientology and documenting the truth about Hubbard. Chances are what you find there won't surprise you at all.

Ladybird

Post by Ladybird » Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:50 am

Thanks Lulu-Belle! This gave me goosebumps! An excellent review of Dianetics...and another example of "what was I thinking" when I read LRH while IN the cult.

It is so obvious what he was and what he meant once you get out of the "cult think" spell and look at things realistically.

songbird

Post by songbird » Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:38 am

Thanks very much, Lulu_Belle.
I read the full review -- devastating.

It reminded me of these:

Divorce petition filed by Sara Hubbard against LRH:
http://www.spaink.net/cos/LRH-bio/sara.htm

Interview with Ron deWolf in the News-Herald:
http://www.lermanet.com/scientologynews ... e07-82.htm

Penthouse magazine interview with Ron deWolf:
http://www.rickross.com/reference/scien ... en240.html

J. Swift

Post by J. Swift » Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:07 am

Lulu_BBelle, thank you for posting this review.
From reading "Dianetics" alone, you can glean a picture of Hubbard as a man wrestling with mental illness, who saw his mind as a potentially superhuman machine beset by invaders and parasites. Without knowing anything about his life, you can tell that this is someone raised in an environment of betrayal, secrecy, bullying and violence, someone who stands a good chance of re-creating the same conditions in his adult life if he's not careful. You can figure out all of this just from reading "Dianetics," like I did. Then, afterward, you can go on the Web and check out the many sites devoted to critiquing Scientology and documenting the truth about Hubbard. Chances are what you find there won't surprise you at all.
LRH's work is full of a brutality that betrays his depraved obsession with human sexuality, particularly what he considered to be sexual perversions. In other places, LRH is cryptically sexual. For example, we see many phallic symbols and veiled allusions to gay sex in the "Implant Incidents" given in OT II.

THE ARROW: In the space of 1/10th of a second, an image appears of two back-to-back targets, the front white, and the back black, with an arrow centered on each of the targets (the two arrows thus aimed at each other).

WHITE BLACK SPHERE: An image of a sphere and a pole, black in front, white in back.

HOT COLD: For 1 1/8 seconds an image appears of a split pole, cold in front, hot in back.

LAUGHTER CALM: For 7 1/8ths of a second, in a cave, screams of very wild laughter come from the rear (then front) of a split pole, while calm ("a frozen numbness") comes from the front (then rear), giving a sensation of total disagreement.

DANCE MOB: In the incident proper, one is stuck on a pole and trying to get off it.

DOUBLE ROD: A long shiny black rod moves from left to right, develops a split in the middle, becoming a white rod revolving forward and a black rod revolving backward. Both rods then disappear forward and up.

ref: http://www.xs4all.nl/%7Ekspaink/fishman/ot2.html

These "implant incidents" are phallic and anal. The "poles" and "cave" and "arrows" could be construed as hidden and repressed symbols of LRH's homoerotic fantasies. One is obvious:

DANCE MOB: In the incident proper, one is stuck on a pole and trying to get off it.

Interpreted psychologically, LRH is "stuck on a pole" and trying to get off it. Does "get off it" refer to some time when he was trying not to be gay and couldn't? He couldn't, "get off the pole" he was stuck on? This is very campy if we look at it from a humorous angle. Think of it: OT II may indeed be high camp!

The OT II Implant Incidents are suggestive of LRH hiding his homosexuality and trauma of molestation it in plain sight by misdirection: He makes his sexuality occult incidents that were "implanted."

In terms of the review Lulu_Belle offered, it is easy to see that LRH's damaged sexuality is covertly coded in his non-fiction work and overtly celebrated in his Battlefield Earth series from which curiosity quoted. Once we understand, and curiosity did say we all missed it, it does seem like LRH was screaming at the world that he was gay. It was as if he wanted to get caught and left so many clues in his writings. Did LRH die thinking the joke was on us because we were too stupid to see it? Or was he more like J. Edgar Hoover: A vicious closeted gay man who could afford the luxury of taunting people by putting clues out there, and yet if anyone called him a homosexual, he would use his power to utterly destroy them with all of the sexual secrets and dirt he had gathered on them and kept in his files?

I think J. Edgar Hoover hated Hubbard, and Hubbard hated Hoover, because they saw themselves in each other and hated what they saw.

<<<SPPF>>>

http://www.youtube.com/user/SurvivingScientology
http://www.survivingscientologyradio.com/
http://scientologymoneyproject.com/

ambassador_yak

Post by ambassador_yak » Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:38 am

Hubbard would have loved every second of it and used it to justify any hatred he felt for the less fortunate or Gay.
Our revels now are ended. these our actors, as I foretold you, were all spirits and are melted into air, into thin air . . . We are such stuff as dreams are made on, and our little life is rounded with a sleep.-Shakespeare

'Alert'

Post by 'Alert' » Wed Mar 29, 2006 4:21 am

Your breakdown and hypothesis is scarey J.Swift.Scarey in the sense that what you have pointed out is so close to REAL logic and REAL conclusion..that when I go over what I read from the 'doctrines' and the COUNTLESS Scio-crap I am TRULY amazed that this has not been 'cottened' onto many years before.
This thread has FREAKED me a little.
But thanks anyway..it'll all help in the longrun.
"If anyone talks about a "road to Freedom" he is talking about a linear line. This, then, must have boundaries. If there are boundaries there is no freedom." - Dianetics 55

J. Swift

Post by J. Swift » Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:38 am

Thanks alert.

I realize that mine is a confrontational, controversial, and very upsetting thesis so far as Scientologists are concerned. It is not a thesis that I offered lightly. The thesis came to me because I am a parent. When I read of a twelve year old LRH spending time alone with Commander "Snake" Thompson learning about Freud it alarmed me as a parent. Freud and human sexuality are not subjects for an adult male to discuss with a twelve year old boy. Consider this summary of Freud:
In his 1905 Three Essays on the Theory of Sexuality Sigmund Freud invented the idea of sexuality as a process independent of an individual's sex. Thinkers before Freud from Ulrichs to Westphal to Krafft-Ebing believed that most men are born "normal" (i.e. heterosexual) but that male inverts inherit some female mental characteristic that makes them sexually attracted to members of their own sex. Freud rejected the idea and argued that the direction the sexual drive takes has no necessary relationship to inherited sexual characteristics.

Instead, Freud theorized, all children are born polymorphously perverse - their sexual desires can be drawn toward any object - and it is their childhood experiences that cause their sex drive to be directed to members of the opposite or the same sex. Freud did not condemn homosexuals or other "perverts" and he was skeptical that homosexuality could be cured, but Three Essays continued the psychiatric tradition of labeling non-heterosexual sexuality "perversions" and "aberrations". One section of the book even gives child-rearing tips to help parents lead their children to "normal" heterosexual adjustment.

Since Freud rejected hereditarian theories of the causes of homosexuality, he also rejected the notion that homosexuals or inverts are necessarily feminine. According to Freud, whether a boy grows up to have a masculine or feminine personality has nothing to do with the direction of his sexual desire. Thus, depending on his upbringing, a boy can develop into an effeminate heterosexual, a masculine homosexual, or some other combination of gender and sexuality.

Sadly, Freud's own relatively benign view of the "perversions" was lost on his followers. By the 1950s, American psychoanalysts universally agreed that homosexuality is a mental illness and used their considerable influence to support the mistreatment of gay and lesbian people.
ref: http://www.gayhistory.com/rev2/factfiles/ff1905.htm

Freud taught that children are born, "polymorphously perverse - their sexual desires can be drawn toward any object - and it is their childhood experiences that cause their sex drive to be directed to members of the opposite or the same sex." This facet of Freud's theory lends a chilling undertone the relationship between LRH and Commander Thompson.

That 1950's, "American psychoanalysts universally agreed that homosexuality is a mental illness," shows that LRH understood Freud as American psychoanalysts interpreted him in the 1950's. LRH clung tenanciously to Freud in the early 1950's in a desperate attempt to give some sort of intellectual underpinnings and credibility to Dianetics. Hubbard condemned gays and lesbians as was the psychoanalytic fashion of his day.

Had Hubbard correctly understood Freud, he would not have condemned gays and lesbians. Unfortunately, Hubbard followed the fashion of American Freudians and condemned gays and lesbians in order to therapeutically align Dianetics to the flawed psychoanalytic mores of the 1950's. In doing so, LRH appears to have condemned himself for I believe that LRH was a self-hating, closeted gay man as his Battlefield Earth series and other hints in his non-fiction and biography seem to suggest.

What I have attempted to do is to analyze L. Ron Hubbard's sexual history in order to better understand why Scientology is so dynamically perverse. I have examined certain details from LRH's own biography and, assisted by others here at OCMB, particularly Ladybird and curiosity, have attempted to establish the hypothesis that L. Ron Hubbard was molested as a child and that this tragically affected his life and the cult he would later establish. My hypothesis includes the notion that L. Ron Hubbard was a gay man who could be bisexual when he wanted or needed to be so. There is also the possibility that LRH could have followed in the steps of Commander Thompson and become a pedophile, a "lover of young men and boys" as LRH said of Jesus. Because Hubbard had a Messianic complex and Jesus was a true Messiah, it seems that LRH projected his own pedophilia onto a Messianic figure.

<<<?>>>

http://www.youtube.com/user/SurvivingScientology
http://www.survivingscientologyradio.com/
http://scientologymoneyproject.com/

'Alert'

Post by 'Alert' » Wed Mar 29, 2006 8:06 am

No need for thanks Mr Swift...as confrontational is this subject IS...it needs to be shown.I REALLY appreciate this Forums cander and TRUTHFULNESS in what it provides in information and links that lead to the TRUTH.
THANK YOU!
"If anyone talks about a "road to Freedom" he is talking about a linear line. This, then, must have boundaries. If there are boundaries there is no freedom." - Dianetics 55

allergic to shellfish

Post by allergic to shellfish » Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:39 am

Just a comparrison that I wanted to make.
It is in reference to the Battlefield Earth Series and is taken from an extract that curiosity so kindly researched and posted.
The full thread is below.
viewtopic.php?t=17122
The quote in reference reminded me of a excerpt from Admissions.
From battlefield Earth:
She (Teenie) told Gris about a school psychologist who “had a lot of very mentally sick boys in the school. They were classified as oversexed. And he used to line them up in his office and go down on them [i.e., perform oral intercourse] to cool them off. And every day or two he’d get an overload of cases and he’d send and get me excused from class so I could come in and help. He’d stand and watch. There were so many of those boys sometimes that I could hardly get my breath from one before another had to be done. It was a fast clinical line, let me tell you. And some of those boys were fifteen and sixteen and pretty foamy. You just couldn’t help swallowing!� (v. 6, p. 321)
From Admissions.
I have a very bad masturbatory history. I was taught when I was 11 and, despite guilt, fear of insanity, etc. etc. I persisted. At a physical examination at a Y when I was about 13, the examiner and the people with him called me out of the line because my testicles hung low and cautioned me about what would happen if I kept on masturbating. This "discovery" was a bad shock to me.
I don't want to muddy the waters, but could LRH been abused at his time at the Y or boy scouts?
The timing of meeting Thompson and his tutelage during while in Washington coincides with involvement with the Scouts. Was Thompson connected in any way to the Scout group? Was Hubbard a victim of a 'Super Adventure Club' style peodophile ring? As I have said before Ron's journal at the time is very telling. Up until meeting Thompson Ron's journals were full of jocular tall stories and childish adventures. Then he begins to become evasisve even with his own journal.
Quote from CH 1 bare faced messiah.
It was on this trip, it seems, that Ron met the enigmatic Commander 'Snake' Thompson of the US Navy Medical Corps, a psychoanalyst he would later claim was responsible for awakening his youthful interest in Freud, although he only made the briefest mention of the journey in his journal. His style of writing was fluent, breezy, schoolboyishly cocksure and addressed directly to the reader. 'If obviously pushed upon,' he wrote, 'I supposed I could write a couple of thousands [sic] words on that trip . . . But I spare you.'

He usually referred to himself in a gently ironic tone, perhaps to avoid giving an impression of thinking rather too highly of himself. When he arrived in Washington, two troops of local scouts were battling for a prized scouting trophy, the Washington Post Cup. Troop 100, he noted, belonged to the YMCA 'and would therefore probably lose', so he joined the other outfit, Troop 10, 'which must have sighed loudly when it perceived me crossing the threshold'.

The journal also contained flashes of humour, delivered deadpan: 'Visualize me in a natty scout suit, my red hair tumbling out from under my hat, doing my good turn daily. Once I saved a man's life. I could have pushed him under a streetcar but I didn't.'

Intent on pushing Troop 10 to victory, Ron began acquiring merit badges with extraordinary speed and dedication. In his first two weeks, he was awarded badges for Firemanship and Personal Health, quickly followed by Photography, Life-Saving, Physical Development and Bird Study. He determinedly thrust his way into the front rank of the Washington scouts (it was absolutely not his nature to languish shyly among the pack) and he was chosen to represent them on a delegation to the White House to ask President Calvin Coolidge to accept the honorary chairmanship of National Boys' Week. He noted the invitation in his journal with characteristic cheek: 'One fine day the Scout executive telephoned my house and told me I was to meet the president that afternoon. I told him I thought it pretty swell of the president to come way out to my house . . .'

Brushed and scrubbed ('even the backs of my hands were thoroughly washed') he waited with forty other boys outside the Oval Office until a secretary emerged and said the president was ready to receive them. ' With fear and trembling, we entered and repeated our names a few times as we pumped Cal's listless hand . . . I think I have the distinction of being the only boy scout in America who has made the President wince.' The great man spoke in such lugubrious tones that Ron compared the occasion to being invited to his own hanging.

In the boy scout diary he kept intermittently around this time, Ron was a lot less forthcoming than in the journal, which was clearly written with an intention to entertain. The most frequent entry in his diary was a laconic 'Was bored.' Yet he would claim in later years that the four months he spent in Washington was a crucial period of his life during which he received 'an extensive education in the field of the

human mind' under the tutelage of his friend Commander Thompson.[7] He also noted - in his journal - that he became a close friend of President Coolidge's son, Calvin Junior, whose early death accelerated his 'precocious interest in the mind and spirit of Man.'[8]

Ladybird

Post by Ladybird » Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:22 pm

From "Bare Faced Messiah" by Russell Miller: "The most frequent entry in his diary was a laconic 'Was bored.' Yet he would claim in later years that the four months he spent in Washington was a crucial period of his life during which he received 'an extensive education in the 'field of the human mind' under the tutelage of his friend Commander Thompson.
Let's think about this. Hubbard was a cynical wordsmith, and he did go on to write 2 dictionarys full of his own made-up and/or redefined words.

What did Hubbard really mean by writing in his diary "Was Bored"? Was it a cryptic reference to his tuteledge by Commander Snake Thompson in the art of masturbation and pederasty later referred to in his "Affirmations"?
"I have a very bad masturbatory history. I was taught when I was 11 and,
despite guilt, fear of insanity, etc. etc. I persisted." - LRH

bore1 Audio pronunciation of "bored" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (bôr, br)
v. bored, bor·ing, bores
v. tr.

1. To make a hole in or through, with or as if with a drill.
2. To form (a tunnel, for example) by drilling, digging, or burrowing.
More results...

bore v. bored â—Š boring â—Š bores < bOr > : 1. To cause to be bored; SYN: tire. 2. To drill a hole into; SYN: drill.

drill: (drilled)

# adjective: trained in a skill by repetitious practice (Example: "Well-drilled in military procedures")

slang: 1. to fuck the shit out of 2. Destroyed, conquered, or dominated.

mr_bad

Post by mr_bad » Wed Mar 29, 2006 4:52 pm

lb,
slang: 1. to fuck the shit out of 2. Destroyed, conquered, or dominated.
I didn't perceive that enuendo to his comment of being bored, but that's damn funny.

mb
Here's Jabba the Hub as he writes crappy sci-fi while his wife sits prison...OT Priorities personified!!!

Hubbard's Mushroom

Post by Hubbard's Mushroom » Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:04 pm

You are one sharp cookie Ladybird.

You see that Pitbull?
Sure does put a hole in your theory that only dumb
people join the sea org.

Ladybird

Post by Ladybird » Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:20 pm

Pitbull is no slouch. He succeeds in showing scientology for what it is when he "defends" it, and shows his true colors as a critic early in the morning when he thinks no one is paying attention.

It IS extremely frustrating that year after year, decade after decade the cult of scientology keeps getting away with the same old criminal crap.

Some people want to blame the victims...but bottom line is that this cult is violating numerous laws and regulations day in and day out.

It lends credence to some of the conspiracy theories about their ties with the IRS, CIA, INS, Military, etc. What ARE they doing in Trementina? Where ARE all the people who have disappeared? Why do otherwise intelligent people believe Hubbards crap????

Back on topic...This is an interesting study:

"The first official description of pathological Narcissism appeared in the
Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders only 20 years ago, in
1980, the same year L. Ron Hubbard went into seclusion in the California
desert. Here is the description from the current manual:

"A pervasive pattern of grandiosity (in fantasy or behavior), need for
admiration, and lack of empathy, beginning by early adulthood and present in
a variety of contexts, as indicated by five (or more) of the following:

1. has a grandiose sense of self-importance (e.g., exaggerates achievements
and talents, expects to be recognized as superior without commensurate
achievements)
2. is preoccupied with fantasies of unlimited success, power, brilliance,
beauty, or ideal love
3. believes that he or she is "special" and unique and can only be understood
by, or should associate with, other special or high-status people (or
institutions)
4. requires excessive admiration
5. has a sense of entitlement, i.e., unreasonable expectations of especially
favorable treatment or automatic compliance with his or her expectations
6. is interpersonally exploitative, i.e., takes advantage of others to
achieve his or her own ends
7. lacks empathy: is unwilling to recognize or identify with the feelings and
needs of others
8. is often envious of others or believes that others are envious of him or
her
9. shows arrogant, haughty behaviors or attitudes"

(from Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders, fourth edition.,
1996, American Psychiatric Association)

Anyone who has known or studied L. Ron Hubbard will likely agree that he met
more than five of the APA criteria listed above. Many would say he scored
nine out of nine. His factual biography, if recast as a work of fiction,
would seem nearly as fantastic as his science fiction epic, "Battlefield
Earth."

An excerpt from:

The Attention Fix
Scientology as a Figment of Narcissism

by Eldon M. Braun

shelby

Post by shelby » Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:33 pm

Ladybird, thank you for that. It's very interesting and gives me insight to other people I know. Hell, I worked for a man like that....and I took him out of his position of power in the long run. Just, WOW! :shock:

Sara

Post by Sara » Thu Mar 30, 2006 7:28 pm

These "implant incidents" are phallic and anal. The "poles" and "cave" and "arrows" could be construed as hidden and repressed symbols of LRH's homoerotic fantasies. One is obvious:

Interpreted psychologically, LRH is "stuck on a pole" and trying to get off it. Does "get off it" refer to some time when he was trying not to be gay and couldn't? He couldn't, "get off the pole" he was stuck on? This is very campy if we look at it from a humorous angle. Think of it: OT II may indeed be high camp!
This reminded me of the Running Program, where we had to run in a circle for 12 hours a day around a red Pole. The pole in the center of the circle was made up of large oil drums painted red and stacked on top of each other, about 20 feet high. The wogs who saw us in Griffith Park must have been scatching their heads in wonder. I was so privileged as a teenager to lose months of my life to this running "technology." Just think, I could have been going to school, or making friends, or hanging out like teenagers do. But no, I was assigned to run around a pole in Griffith Park for months, because I had the misfortune of being a kid in the Sea Org.

Return to “Opinions & Debate”