One opened, more to come!
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:21 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 8:53 pm 

RIPODB wrote:
BTW, I nominate Willem Dafoe for the part of DM. I might be biased because he's my favorite character actor....

Yeah, I like him too, and he did a real good job on that Robinson Crusoe book!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 9:31 pm 

Damn shame that Leo McKern died.
ImageImage
He was Moriarty in Gene Wilders 'The Adventure of Sherlock Holmes' Smarter Brother' - Most known for his role as Rumpole.
:onebounce:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 9:46 pm 

Whoever does the survey should post a picture of each actor. Some have aged since we last saw them, so they're "riper" for playing LRH.
The survey should have several photos of the "real" Ron, not the photo-shopped, trimmed-chin Ron. Since many regular people have only a fague idea of LRH's personality, there should be a clip of Ron talking, with those piggy eyes, the fleeting facial expressions showing sneering, the lying voice, and the creepy curled lip.

The survey should remind folks of the goals:
Looks like Hubbard, or could, with makeup
Willing to gain weight if necessary (hey, it got Charlize Theron an Oscar!)
Plays a crazy guy just great
Plays a charismatic con man
Has the piggy eyes and curled lip
Has a "name" to attract audience
Must be willing to wear an ascot, short sleeves with a vest, and other fashion violations.

(Leo McKern WOULD have been an interesting LRH. RIP for him.)

Last edited by Don Carlo on Sun Jul 09, 2006 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 11:10 pm 

I vote for Robert Duvall to play the part of Hubbard. Robert is a VERY versatile actor.

He did a good job in "The Apostle" at playing the part of a very charismatic (but somewhat crazy) person.

I think Duvall could pull this one off (he would be believable in the part).

I wouldn't look for a complete Hubbard "look-alike" - just an older white male with the acting talent (and some make-up and other stuff) to do the part - including the ability to do the personality characteristics just mentioned by Don Carlo.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 11:59 pm 

programmer_guy wrote:
I vote for Robert Duvall to play the part of Hubbard. Robert is a VERY versatile actor.

He did a good job in "The Apostle" at playing the part of a very charismatic (but somewhat crazy) person.

I think Duvall could pull this one off (he would be believable in the part).

I wouldn't look for a complete Hubbard "look-alike" - just an older white male with the acting talent (and some make-up and other stuff) to do the part - including the ability to do the personality characteristics just mentioned by Don Carlo.

How about Will Farrell then?

Regards,

CB

:twisted:

"Let's plunge ourselves into the roar of time, the whirl of accident; may pain and pleasure, success and failure, shift as they will - it's only action that can make a man." From "Faust" by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 12:01 am 

Now, how about the part of Mary Sue?

And we should not forget about the early days with John McMasters, Volney Matthison...

The script should include the move to Saint Hill (and what happened there) and then the subsequent creation of the Sea Org (and why) and taking to the seas in the Medditeranean and the incidents that happened in the various ports, like in Greece.

The part about one ship getting through a hurricane would be good for a dramatic small part in the middle of the story.

Also, we should include Hubbard's attempt to infiltrate Rhodesia.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 12:17 am 

Now that I think about it... there is plenty of historical material to make 2 or 3 very good movies... there's lots of drama in what happened.

I vote that the title of the movie(s) be "Messiah or Madman?" - an abbreviation taken from the title of Bent's book.

Steven Spielberg, are you listening?

Last edited by programmer_guy on Sun Jul 09, 2006 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 12:19 am 

I just added the latest suggestions, and a few of my own. We're up to 61 names on the Hubbard list. If we add three more (I think Trey might not be credible, so we may need to replace him, too), we have the classic 64.
Then, a site like Defamer could do 32 first round eliminations: Ed Harris vs. Leo DiCaprio, etc. The winners would go on to 16 second round eliminations, thence to 8 third round eliminations, then to 4 fourth-round, leading to the Final Four. Then we might have a vote amongst all Four, or do a fifth round and then a final round. I recommend three eliminations per day, to tighten up the time to one month and keep momentum. There should be a tournament ladder showing who was moving onto the next round, etc. We could add a wild card write-in. There should be a disclaimer that we are doing this as fans for entertainment, and there is no movie yet and no official interest from any of the actors yet in this project.

Alternatively, you could present 60+ names and have a straight vote, or a vote with first second and third choices. But voters might feel overwhelmed by the choices amongst so many talented actors, especially since the voters can't audition them.

Ironically, the winner might not even be interested, or may be busy elsewhere, or the producer or director doesn't think he's the right one. So we have to see this as a fun exercise and public relations for a unflattering Hubbard bio, rather than changing the world.

Last edited by Don Carlo on Sun Jul 09, 2006 12:53 am, edited 4 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 12:22 am 

programmer_guy wrote:
Now that I think about it... there is plenty of historical material to make 2 or 3 very good movies... there's lots of drama in what happened.

I vote that the title of the movie(s) be "Messiah or Madman?" - an abbreviation taken from the title of Bent's book.

There's just too much material for one movie. I vote for the movie starting out with LRH cussing out the sea orgers who were then working round the clock to get his fleet up and running. All the treachery and mishaps of those sea org days would win an oscar!

"People with too many arguments should always be approached with suspicion. Dialectic and endless reasoning are usually used as resistance against disagreeable truths" A. M. Meerloo, M.D. "Delusion and Mass-Delusion" (c) 1949

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 1:12 am 

I would also like to see a part in the movie where Hubbard is very sick and bedraggled from solo auditing and has to call for Mayo to bail him out. AND he gets to feeling better by coming up with the crazy imagined OTIII "cognitions". And how he then imposes this on everyone else. (This ought to teach people a lesson about this crap.)

Also, in the end after the take-over by DM, scenes of cameras everywhere, watching everyone 24/7 in orgs, would be an excellent element of the story.

And what is REALLY interesting is that Hollywood doesn't need to fictionalize ANYTHING because it is ALL TRUE - everything that I have said.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 1:27 am 

cobaltblu wrote:
How about Will Farrell then?

I wouldn't want it to be a comedy. I would want it to be dramatic and serious.
(Well, maybe a couple of funny scenes would be good. I have some ideas on this.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 1:36 am 

I agree with you SchwimmelPuckel, Leo McKern was great and would have done a perfect hubbard.

Of course my favorite role of his was as one of the No. 2's in "The Prisoner"

He really shows there also that he could have done hubbard well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 1:59 am 

You could have different actors for different phases of his life...so- you could have the Will Farrell wacked moments and P. Hoffman for the more serious, just different angles bringing all of his insanties to light....you may have many actors lining up for a role like this! (or not, for the fear of the church...)

I think Trey Parker could be excellant as DM especially because this would make DM hit the wall - even just for that...what fun that would be....maybe Trey can do a little impersonation/ screen test when he accepts his emmy- you know, steely gaze, hands spread out on the podium like its trying to get away from him and then do a salute to Matt Stone(like DM did to Tom Cruise).....he looks a little like him......arg!

and Spielberg....yes - Ol' Steven just might be itching to get a little back at COS after Tom screwing around with War of the Worlds the way he did.....this has oscars written all over it....
J.Swift - Maybe that book you are writing could be a screenplay?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 2:18 am 

delphim wrote:
I think Trey Parker could be excellant as DM especially because this would make DM hit the wall - even just for that...

Ha. I don't know about Trey BUT I'll bet that TROY SHULZE might like to do the part.

Troy, are you still out there lurking? <snicker>

We haven't heard from you in a long time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 5:05 am 

Natty P, on page 4 were you nominating Trey for LRH or for DM? He definitely could play DM.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next