Hubbard-style Word Clearing.

A place to post and debate the Church of Scientology.
AngryGayPope

Re: Hubbard-style Word Clearing.

Post by AngryGayPope » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:36 pm

Demented LRH wrote:After I learned how to fool the e-meter, the procedure became a piece of cake. .
How do you fool an emeter? I know that you can change the needle's movements by squeezing or releasing pressure on your hands holding the cans.

But when the e-meter is turned away from you and only the auditor can see the needle how do you cheat it?

bubbler
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by bubbler » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:20 am

Hubbard had a number of good directives which the public, to this day, has not caught up with. One example is word clearing, the heart of so-called "study tech". As has been accurately pointed out, the simple simon translation is "looking up words in the dictionary" and wogs know this as well as scilons. As it is, most folks walking down the street have not used the dictionary in the past six years, and we would have a better educated population if the situation were otherwise.

Demented LRH
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Demented LRH » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:10 am

AngryGayPope wrote:
Demented LRH wrote:After I learned how to fool the e-meter, the procedure became a piece of cake. .
How do you fool an emeter? I know that you can change the needle's movements by squeezing or releasing pressure on your hands holding the cans.

But when the e-meter is turned away from you and only the auditor can see the needle how do you cheat it?
Keep your arms relaxed no matter what you say, the needle will be floating even if you don’t see it. It takes about 5 minutes of practice to learn to apply right amount of pressure to the cans.
“This OT shit is driving me insane. On a positive side, I laugh a lot these days because I’m at a funny farm.”
L. Ron Hubbard

L. Ron Hubbard era un maestro de masturbacion fisica y mental.

pelagic

Post by pelagic » Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:19 pm

Looking a word up, redefining it and making a few sentences is a good way to enhance your understanding of a concept.

The way Hubbard writes, you cannot understand it without looking up words. This is how it starts to suck you in. You read something and its complete gibberish. Then you look up words and you start to understand it. Then you think there might be something to this study tech after all.

Of course, in Scientology its taken to religious extremes:
1. The ONLY reason a person gives up a course of study is because of mis-understood words.
2. The ONLY reason you cannot get Scientology to work is because you have mis-understood words.
3. The ONLY reason you go passed words you don't understand is because you have overts and withholds (undisclosed crimes of some sort)

So, when someone does not complete a course, its because they have mis-understood words. This is a form of thought stopping. So and so didn't finish the course. It's not because the course is crap, or they get treated like crap when they come in. It's not because they were sold on the course being something that it isn't. It's because they didn't look up the words.

If someone says auditing does not work or they did not get something out of it, you don't think its because auditing is crap, it's because the person or their auditor didn't look up the words.

It's nothing wrong with Scientology, it's nothing wrong with Hubbard, it's always something wrong with the individual. All you have to do to fix it is get the person to find their mis-understood words.

Point number 3 is very interesting. When you first learn the study technology Hubbard describes why students leave without authorization, or completing a course. It is because after they go passed words they don't understand, then they commit overts (sins), then they have to leave to stop themselves doing it. Later on you find out that the only reason they went passed the words was because they had already committed these sins. You need a pretty agile mind to keep all that straight in your head.

I bet that any Scientologist reading this board knows why we all left Scientology and became critics. It's because we would not look up our words!

pelagic

Post by pelagic » Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:34 pm

Weiber - on star rate checkouts.

I do a lot of self paced study for I.T. It's very common for the study guides to have a review section at the end of each chapter. It usually is: review the key terms introduced, answer a few questions, work through some examples/practice. More like what Demented LRH mentioned with the tutoring. It's a good way to review something and get a better understanding of what you just read.

Of course, in Scientology a "good student" gains "full conceptual understanding" the first time through. When you have completed a course called "The Student Hat" and done some processing called Method One word clearing you are considered to be a fast flow student. That means you do not need to do the star rates on a checksheet. I did the Student Hat and had started on the method one. I was so looking forward to not having to do those checkouts.

Sometimes "fast flow" students get assigned to be star rate checked on something. I did plenty of star rates on them and their success rate was no better than "normal flow" students.

The worse thing was that if someone found a mis-understood word you had to re-study from that point on. So if its the first paragraph you have to go through the whole thing again.

Did you ever experience M9 (Method 9) word clearing? Where you have to read the text out load, with someone following along. Any missed word, hesitation or mis-pronounced word and you have to stop, go back and find your misunderstood word. Then look it up etc, restudy the text and do the M9 again. Hubbard says this was a way to teach students to find their own misunderstood words. In practice it was used as punishment. Imagine having to do that on a ten page text or something like that Keeping Scientology Working policy letter. I don't think I ever learned anything new doing that, and I did it so many times.

Demented LRH

Post by Demented LRH » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:24 am

Millie, Dana and I were sitting at the table in the EPF study room. Millie was falling asleep. “This EPF work is so exhausting”, I said. Dana, aka KR Queen, looked at Millie disapprovingly and said, “You are sleepy because you got an MU (misunderstood word)”. Dana’s remark was so absurd that I burst into laughter. Dana got visibly upset; she got up and pulled a book with the HCOBs out of the bookcase. She found the HCOB saying that an MU could put a person to sleep and shoved it to me.

I read the Hubbard shit and for a moment got very angry because I did not believe a word of it. For the first time I felt that I was doubting Hubbard’s intentions; I thought that this particular HCOB was designed to convince the hard-working SO staff that their need for rest and recuperation is not caused by the debilitating work but by the MUs.

I suppressed my anger because I was not planning to stay in SO for the eternity to come, I just wanted to get to the Level 5 and then leave the hated organization ASAP. But I gave myself the word that I will fake my stats whenever it was possible.

It is impossible to submit false stats when you are in EPF because the EPFers work in groups. But the SO staff provide plenty of fake stats; very soon I became a quite effective cheater whose stats were high enough to keep him away from trouble, but not high enough to make his seniors suspicious.
“This OT shit is driving me insane. On a positive side, I laugh a lot these days because I’m at a funny farm.”
L. Ron Hubbard

Wieber

Post by Wieber » Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:58 am

For a time I got put in charge of a section in the department I was in. The department director found this section in policy that had the job of getting field staff members (FSMs) to be active. So I was the in charge (I/C) and I had three underlings, uhm, I mean staff. We got busy and did a good job. We managed to all be continuously upstat for several weeks. We did things like "holding the form of the org." On Thursdays, for example, we went for lunch at noon. That raised eyebrows and brought the comment, "On Thursdays we push to get the stats up and don't go for lunch." We replied, "Our stats are all up. We're holding the form of the org per policy and going for lunch." Our division secretary was livid because even though we were upstat we were, apparently, not bringing in any cash. I was naive about what Scientology was all about at the time. That changed about a week or so later when a couple of FSMs actually brought some new people in, but it was too late. HCO investigated us for being upstat and a sea org mission broke up the section, just as it was beginning to chug, and reposted everyone in it.

I was pissed off about that at the time but now I've glad it happened. We could have boomed the org and in retrospect that would upset me now.
“Think wrongly if you please, but in all cases think for yourself.”
Doris Lessing

Demented LRH

Post by Demented LRH » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:54 pm

Both ASHOs are under constant investigations by CMO because they are not bringing in enough money even though the staffs are upstat. I had friends in the ASHOs who were often complaining about the CMO investigations and following demotions and exiles to RPF.

It is hard to fake your stats if you work for an ASHO or OT Org. But the members of all other Orgs can falsify their stats very easily.
L. Ron Hubbard

Wieber

Post by Wieber » Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:25 pm

Demented LRH wrote:Both ASHOs are under constant investigations by CMO because they are not bringing in enough money even though the staffs are upstat. I had friends in the ASHOs who were often complaining about the CMO investigations and following demotions and exiles to RPF.

It is hard to fake your stats if you work for an ASHO or OT Org. But the members of all other Orgs can falsify their stats very easily.
It's not 'ethical' to falsify stats. A false report is, per policy, treason. Most of the truly brainwashed and I was one of them, won't falsify their stats. What I didn't know is that the at the tippy top of the organization, the leader was exempt from the rules and ethics to which everyone else was bound.

The people in the organization think they have a handle on filtering out infiltrators and those who haven't bought all the false promises. They don't have such a handle. People who don't believe and don't buy into Hubbard's promises and directives with minimal practice can hide in plain sight anywhere in the organization. There might be two or three dozen such people in there now.
Doris Lessing

Demented LRH

Post by Demented LRH » Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:22 am

The current Scientologists think that they can clear all words that Hubbard invented, and make sense out of nonsense. But let’s take a look at the word “static” as it was defined in the first Hubbard axiom.

Life is basically a static.

Life is usually defined as a conglomerate of active organisms. But this is not what Hubbard meant because a living organism has several properties that Hubbard’s static does not have (an organism has a location in space, for instance).

“He has no location in space or in time. He has the ability to perceive and to create”
This is how Jewish and Christian mystics define God. But there is no God in Scientology.

“It has no mass, no motion, no location in space or in time. It has super-intelligence and ability to produce anything”.
This is how Hindus define the Universal Mind. But Scientology does not deal with such abstract idea; instead it has the reactive mind and the analytical mind, which is not the same as the universal mind.

Does the word “static” refer to the spirits (thetans)? If it does, it should be used in a plural form because there is more than one spirit in the world for those who believe in them. Therefore, “static” is not a synonym of “spirit”. What is the difference between the spirit and the static, anyway?

Hubbard made a crappy definition of nonexistent entity or thing; this definition perhaps made sense to him when he was flying high on the wings of his hallucinations. But to a normal person this definition makes no sense.

What if I’m wrong and Hubbard’s definition of static has a meaning that I cannot comprehend? In this case I challenge the OSA monitors who are watching this website to prove me wrong by explaining what this word means.
L. Ron Hubbard

Demented LRH

Post by Demented LRH » Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:05 am

The concept of theta is even more stupid than the concept of static.

“Theta: energy peculiar to life which acts upon material in the physical universe and animates it, mobilizes it and changes it; natural creative energy of a being which he is free to direct towards survival goals”.

What is the source of this energy? According to the definition, it is a being. But “being” is such a broad term; the definition does not specify whether it is a human being or the Creator (God) or a spirit or something else.

In what units (ergs, etc) this energy is measured? What kind of experiment one must run in order to detect this energy? The definition does not address these topics, which makes it completely useless.

For the Scientologists who never encountered philosophical works of the famous philosophers Hubbard’s philosophy seems very deep and advanced. For someone like me who spent countless hours getting acquainted with the books of renowned philosophers definitions like this one are devoid of any meaning.

As I said before, when I was a Scientologist, I was interested in Dianetics only, Hubbard’s “philosophical works” made no impact on me.

Now, I’m going to tell the secret: I know exactly where the definition of theta comes from -- it is the definition of entity known as Vital Force, it was introduced by Lamarck, who is the author of the doctrine currently known as Lamarckism (google the word Lamarckism).
A closely related philosophical system is called Vitalism.

Lamarckism is dead because it contradicts the basics of the science of genetics. Now you know why the theta does not exist.
L. Ron Hubbard

Judith Anderson

Post by Judith Anderson » Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:00 pm

Since words are up for discussion,

Scientology poetry sucks coconuts.

See, that resonates. And you don't even have to clear it.

Okay. I'm going back to my morning coffee now.

Demented LRH

Post by Demented LRH » Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:57 pm

Let’s see how idiotic the term “thetan” is.

Thetan: an immortal spiritual being; the human soul. The term soul is not used because it has developed so many other meanings from use in other religions and practices…blah, blah, blah. The thetan is the person himself, not his body or his name or the physical universe, his mind or anything else. It is that which is aware of being aware; the identity which IS the individual.

Here comes the first logical error showing how incredibly stupid Hubbard was: Thetan is the human soul, although the term soul is not used. Only a cretin would use the word “soul” in the first sentence, and in the second sentence would say that the term “soul” is not used.

In all religions the term “soul” has the same meaning, any dictionary would confirm that. Of course, I am talking about normal dictionaries, which does not apply to abnormal Scientology dictionaries.

“Person himself” is a play of words without any meaning; saying that the mind is separated from the person (thetan is not person’s mind) is a complete absurdity.

This is one of my favorite examples of Hubbard’s lunacy -- It is that which is aware of being aware. Is it possible to have someone or something which is not aware of being aware? I don’t think so. The phrase itself is gibberish; I bet that even the most advanced Scientologists have no idea about its meaning.
L. Ron Hubbard

pelagic

Post by pelagic » Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:24 pm

Hi Demented LRH,

I don't think anyone really understands those terms. You get a general idea, but each time you go back to it your idea shifts. This is why you are not allowed to discuss things in Scientology. You are meant to think everyone else gets it and it is only you who has trouble understanding it. That is part of what keeps you coming back, the idea that you will fully understand it.

Have you ever read any of Ken Ogger, The Pilot's work? The book Super Scio has the best explanation of the whole track, theta and the like that I have read. It is much more condensed and understandable that anything the old fraud ever wrote. Specifically I am talking about the section Cosmic History. Here is the link.

http://freezoneearth.org/pub/Super%20Scio.pdf

If you like that sort of thing, it is an interesting read, once you get through the fist few sections. If you tried to understand the whole track, time track of theta, Philadelphia Doctorate Course etc, it is very refreshing to read an actual explanation of it. As opposed to trying to nut it out from Hubbard's lectures.

I think the difference between thetan and soul, is in Scientology the you are a thetan, in other religions and you have a soul. What the diff? A soul can't exteriorize with full perceptions or levitate an ashtray. Also in Scientology a thetan is god, or gods are thetans. Scientology aims to make you a god.

Something that never made sense to me was the M.E.S.T universe. The idea is that the physical universe we live in is made up of Matter, Energy, Space and Time. Einstein had already proven that matter and energy are essentially the same thing. Dr Hubbard the Nuclear Scientist Engineer should have know that.

Wieber

Post by Wieber » Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:41 pm

On the substitution of 'thetan' for 'soul' I have this bit of ramble.

In the back of Orwell's 1984 there is an essay on 'newspeak.' One of the points made is that in the totalitarian state of that book the number of words that people use in society is being steadily reduced. The intent behind that is to reduce people's ability to think for themselves.

Did Hubbard read that essay and apply it as the totalitarian leader, or in his words, the 'benign dictator' of $cientology? In the English language we have other words for 'soul': 'spirit,' 'entity,' 'ghost' and 'being' come to mind without consulting a reference. With 'thetan' Hubbard coins his own word, dictating his meaning for it and eliminating from usage at least five perfectly good words for the concept; more if you consider, 'spiritual,' and 'soulful' as adjectives that combine with other words to produce more conceptual ideas on the subject.

Later on he pulls this trick: "Scientology is senior to a thetan." That may not be an exact quote but it's close enough. With that statement he reduces all of his followers to a state of thralldom. After all since Hubbard created and codified Scientology that makes him senior to Scientology and senior to a thetan.

A follower in $cientology who rails against that will, sooner or later, find themselves in a security check (sec check), confessional situation with this question directed at them: "Is there anything written or stated by L. Ron Hubbard with which you disagree?" Again that may not be an exact quote but it is close enough. The implication of that question being on a security check/confessional is that it is an 'overt' (another word warranting discussion) to disagree with L. Ron Hubbard.
Doris Lessing

Return to “Opinions & Debate”