One opened, more to come!
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:22 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Wiki Essay, "Pay, Wages, Stipends in Scientology" Comments?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:01 pm 

"Pay, Wages, Stipends in Scientology" has just been posted to the "wiki" at WWP.

http://wiki.whyweprotest.net/Pay,_Wages ... cientology

As always, please offer your comments, criticisms, and suggestions! C'bakers have made a great contribution to improving the content of "Operation Press Pack". It's very much appreciated!

Also,

We just created a "Key Topics" page, which contains only completed work. We hope it makes it easier to find information developed by "Project Press Pack". Any comments or suggestions on the new "Key Topics" page is also welcomed!

http://wiki.whyweprotest.net/Key_Topics

Tx, fisherman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:46 am 

There are Hubbard Communications Office Policy Letters (HCOPLs) that spell out how gross income is to be divided up in the lower orgs. There is also policy on the commission rates for registrars and field staff members. When I was in public registrars got a 10% base line commission. Division two registrars got a 1% base line commission. There were also letter registrars. I don't know what kind of commission they got. There were bonuses for bringing in more money and being in a "higher condition" as well.

Things changed since those days. When I was more recently involved I believe everyone on staff could get commissions for making sales. As well in the earlier days there was no incentive for selling books. As I understand it there are now commissions for selling books and other bookstore items.

Staff pay is based on "units." A staff member gets units based on where they are on the "org board," their staff status level, whether or not they are "fully hatted," their technical training level and so on.

Generally the people in the technical divisions get paid better than the people in the administrative divisions. The technical divisions are division 4, technical division (tech) and division 5, qualification division (qual).

There was one week when I was a department director and got paid three dollars and I saw a course supervisor open his pay envelope and take out about fifty dollars. (I was a department director for a very brief time. Thanks to a gross exodus from division six at the time I got made director of an empty department, which meant I was a very high ranking body router, but because I was a department director I got more yelling and screaming from the divisional secretary and the executive director.)

http://www.worldcat.org./profiles/Wieber/lists/563909

Post subject: Re: Wiki Essay, "Pay, Wages, Stipends in Scientology" Comments?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:48 pm 

fisherman wrote:
http://wiki.whyweprotest.net/Pay,_Wages,_Stipends_in_Scientology
please offer your comments, criticisms, and suggestions!

What an odd mish-mash collection of snippets and nothing really explaining the pay/wages system of a scientology org (or in the sea org).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:04 am 

Wieber, Thanks! I'll look for more HCOPL's and try to re-focus on the "units" system.

Sea-Horse,

Thank you for saying so! Hmmmmm...... Let's see if we can make some improvements then!

The wiki articles are very intentionally written with the goal of highlighting the words and experience of ex-scientologists. This article set out to express WHAT staff/sea org are paid and then "backed into" the HOW/WHY. Apparently, from your standpoint, that didn't work out so well. . :(

The article is based on comments at ESMB and information from DulOldFart (ex-FBO) and Lkwdblds on internal accounting. Frankly, I had a devil of a time sorting out Hubbardian "play accounting" from what really happens with org income.

I have accounting experience and that may actually have been detrimental to my understanding. I kept assuming there were P/Ls and balance sheets somewhere tying it all together and that Hubbard's written policies were largely "window dressing". I still don't fully comprehend what actually transpires. Yesterday, Lkwdblds wrote that Hubbard didn't believe in "double entry book keeping" and that the orgs didn't use "profit and loss" statements. I fell out of my chair!

I don't claim to understand the inner workings of scientology finance, but I will say this, from what I can gather, it appears to be the most convoluted set of financial controls I've ever encountered. Constructed out of Hubbard's edicts (which seem to have no grounding in financial logic), motivations to move monies in specific directions, desires to "pull the wool" over numerous eyes, and the reality of getting the bills paid -- the only word that comes to mind is BIZARRE.

I mean really, the man didn't "believe" in double entry book-keeping? I never met an accountant who considered his task a question of "faith" :lol:

And how in the world could an org record prepayments as income? And then a reg comes along and re-cords that income because it's been "re-purposed"? It's ludicrous! I guess if you don't have a loss statement to go with the income statement, such things are possible!

Anyway.... I really would like to understand and write more about scientology's "improved" accounting methods. If you can point in the right direction, please do!

Lastly, tonight I spent some time reading the WISE materials you sent and learning how to work with PDF's. Thanks again!

I do sincerely appreciate your comment! We can't make things better without critical appraisal. I'll look forward to your advice on how to improve it!

fisherman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:50 am 

Ask Don Carlo if he can point you to some of his fact-finding posts. He's done a fair chunk on wages etc and he maybe able to give you a shortcut to some of his useful and well presented research to slot into your wiki.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:40 am 

fisherman wrote:
Sea-Horse, Thank you for saying so! Hmmmmm...... Let's see if we can make some improvements then!

Might I recommend starting with an outline:

- this is the way the scilontology pay system works
- this is how it's a bit different in the sea org
- this is how it's frequently abused
- here are some examples of said abuse

(or something like that)

fisherman wrote:
Yesterday, Lkwdblds wrote that Hubbard didn't believe in "double entry book keeping" and that the orgs didn't use "profit and loss" statements. I fell out of my chair!

That is true!

Go to this post: http://forums.whyweprotest.net/1108886-post1/
and download OEC volume 3 (http://www.megaupload.com/?d=8MCEB3ZE)
which is the "hat" for Division 3, the Treasury Division.

That book has all the regular references for handling the accounting systems per L. Ron Hubbard and does a fair job of explaining the "units system" and how pay is handled.

fisherman wrote:
I mean really, the man didn't "believe" in double entry book-keeping? I never met an accountant who considered his task a question of "faith".

True again.

Go to above-mentioned OEC vol 3 and search the PDF file for the word "double". You'll find 3 interesting references to LRH's hate of double-entry accounting.

Here are some snippets only, the whole ref (or at least a paragraph before and after) make for more amusing reading.

LRH1 wrote:
As Executive Director I will not sign any balance sheet or return not taken from the original records: balance sheets or statements of affairs based on secondary ledgers and journals or double-entry systems or punched-card computer systems or any "books." The law requires that accurate records be kept. This does not mean ledgers and double entry and such are not required by law anywhere in the world.

LRH2 wrote:
The other day two high-geared chartered accountants were giving me a lot of stuff about how I needed a double-entry system and that the existing system was wrong.
They said, ...
I said, ...
They said, ...

LRH3 wrote:
I will not manage an org that "keeps books" only such as "double entry" as such systems can be "fiddled." Our system is so easily investigated the dishonest hate it. So do it.

Of course, the Church of Scientology systems can be fiddled in a gizillion ways. The records remain the same, but the org works on STATS, not records. And since they don't file any income tax returns, they don't need to have any finalized set of records/numbers for anyone other than themselves (internal stats and info).

fisherman wrote:
And how in the world could an org record prepayments as income? And then a reg comes along and re-cords that income because it's been "re-purposed"? It's ludicrous! I guess if you don't have a loss statement to go with the income statement, such things are possible!

Simple. The re-purposing of "amounts on account" have nothing to do with further income. It's just moving from one account to another. Think of it as a general journal entry (sort of). Keep in mind that the Church of Scientology's individual staff members count STATS. Only new income is counted as an income stat for the main stat of the org. If the Book Store Officer can get someone to use their "auditing money on account" for the latest and greatest set of books, then the BSO can take a stat for selling some books. It doesn't matter that there was no new income (for him).

A "parishioners's" money on account is really a liability to the org because they have collected money and now need to deliver a product or service. Future auditing will cost the org resources in the future at a higher rate than the time when the money was collected (figuring for the usual inflation), so they like to get rid of the liability by selling books. They make a profit on each book that is sold, the future liability for service delivery is lessened, and the "parishioner's" account is lessened... making it easier to convince them that they need to start to re-fill it so they will get their next level. It's a win-win-win situation for the C of Scientology.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:46 am 

LMAO!!!!!!

Fisherman, I just checked OEC vol 3 so I could point you to the section for payroll and found the Dept 8 (Dept of Disbursements). Payroll is so far down the page that it's almost an afterthought. If you read the Table of Contents, you'll see the order in which the Scilontology management (DM? considering the publication date... 1991) thought the topics were important.

Refund policies
    FSM commissions
    Financial planning
    Purchasing
    Paying of bills
    Payroll

:roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:03 am 

Oh hell, why not. It said to repost this info, so I'll try to repost it here.

From http://forums.whyweprotest.net/1108886-post1/ :

A very Merry Christmas to David Miscavige and his Cult of Scientology on this Christmas Eve...
and Thursday before 2:00pm.

The never-before-leaked CD-ROM electronic index and complete collection of Scientology admin tech materials

This CD contains an electronic indexing program that helps anyone find any reference in the complete library of what corporate Scientology refers to as "the Admin Tech".

Oh... here... you'll need a copy of this CD (QRF.zip, this is a zipped-up ISO file from which you can make your own copy of the CD)
and its cover & inserts (Quick Reference Finder CD.pdf).
You'll need to keep the CD in the drive to operate the program. And I'm sure some WWP-visiting techie will make a post in this thread about how you can take an ISO file and make an actual CD.

I know, I know... it's a really old program (1993) but it's such a simple Visual Basic program that works on any machine now (2009). Works great on Windows XP machines. The CD program is a very simple indexing program that allows you to type in some keywords and it will find you the book and page number where the words are found. The words need not be side-by-side in the text. For example, you can search for "crime" and "punish" and find out that there are 13 occurrences found in various books and lectures.

The indexing program does not show you the complete reference... you need to have the actual book and the correct version of the book. What... did you say you don't have the correct version? Well here you go, then.

OEC Index (1991).pdf
OEC vol 0 (1991).pdf
OEC vol 1 (1991).pdf
OEC vol 2 (1991).pdf
OEC vol 3 (1991).pdf
OEC vol 4 (1991).pdf
OEC vol 5 (1991).pdf
OEC vol 6 (1991).pdf
OEC vol 7 (1991).pdf
OEC Management Series 1 (1991).pdf
OEC Management Series 2 (1991).pdf
OEC Management Series 3 (1991).pdf
Introduction to Scientology Ethics 1989.pdf
Problems of Work (1988).pdf
How to Live Though an Executive (1989).pdf
The Original LRH EDs Series One and Two.pdf
The Original LRH EDs Series Three.pdf
OEC tape lecture transcripts.pdf (only 3 transcripts out of 24, but maybe we'll get those audio tapes leaked even without the transcripts)
The ESTO Tapes transcripts.pdf (page numbers don't match the CD, but still useful)
FEBC Tapes transcripts.pdf (page numbers don't match the CD, but still useful)
How to Present Scn to the World (transcripts).pdf (again... page numbers)

Here's the list of tapes included in the electronic index. I'm pretty sure that all of them have been made available online and can be re-leaked.

In case you need the "admin dictionary" to understand Hubbard's/Scientology's esoteric language, here is one.

Modern Management Technology Defined aka Admin dictionary (1976).pdf

And if you're curious about the OEC "courses" themselves, here are the checksheets.

OEC 0 Checksheet Basic Staff Hat.pdf
OEC 1 Checksheet HCO Division 1.pdf
OEC 2 Checksheet Dissemination Division 2.pdf
OEC 3 Checksheet Treasury Division 3.pdf
OEC 4 Checksheet Technical Division 4.pdf
OEC 5 Checksheet Qualifications Division 5.pdf
OEC 6 Checksheet Public Division 6.pdf
OEC 7 Checksheet Executive Division 7.pdf

P.S. If anyone wants to cross-post this leak to other message boards, here is the text of this post with all the links in it (to save you typing, cutting, pasting and clicking).

Merry Christmas, Sir!

Much Love,
Sydney

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:23 am 

Sea Horse,

Cool stuff! I know how to burn an ISO file and that program looks likes like fun!

In a macabre kinda way, it really is funny that payroll is such an afterthought. Reading OEC-3 tonight, I couldn't help notice the reams of verbiage about "you won't get paid if you do this, and you won't get paid if you do that, and no overtime, and no extra pay for doing two jobs, and no moonlighting, and no auditing someone for freezies, and no...." and after 42 paragraphs I still haven't gotten to how someone actually gets paid!

And according to OEC-3 there is no payroll. Every employee is treated as a "payable" (like an independent contractor) with a separate folder for each employee and copies of every paycheck placed in the folder. Good lord, do they still do this? When we've had computerized payrolls and direct deposit for decades now?

BTW: You're right to point out the distinction between accounting and "stats". I found that difficult to sort out. Also, it seems "monies on account" are also used in promotional ways. To me, the "whole ball of wax" looks like an accountant's nightmare!

Thanks again for your help!

fisherman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:36 am 

fisherman, search for the word, "unit" or "units." Also search "bonus" and "penalty" and "gross income."

As I recall it was supposed to work like this.

30% came off the top of the gross income. Flag got 10%. The Guardian's Office got 10%. 10% went into a reserve account that could only be accessed by Flag and otherwise was not to be touched.

45% of the remaining 70% was to go for staff pay. (31.5% of the gross.)

The other 55% was to be spent that week as allocated by financial planning.

Each staff member is allocated a number of units. You will find a policy somewhere in volume three that says how a staff member's units are determined.

Then there are bonuses and penalties to the person's pay determined by what condition they are in, which either relates to their statistic or if they have a lower condition. Lower conditions basically reduce pay to nothing or next to it.

A staff member in normal gets their base units. Affluence and Power get a bonus to the base while emergency and danger get a penalty.

Each staff member's units are calculated. Then all the units are added up. Then the 45% - if it's available that week - gets divided by the total number of units. Then for each staff member their number of units is multiplied by the result of the division to arrive at their pay for the week. After that any taxes or other deductions are taken from their pay and whatever remains goes to the staff member in cash.

I've received pay from the org in a pay envelope. I've also gone in to get my pay and there was a big pile of money on a table in front of the division three person. They had a list of the staff with the amounts they were to get. They found the staff member's name, counted out the money next to their name and handed it to them.

The most I ever received, if I recall correctly was about $45. The least I received was nothing. With the org doing well I averaged $15 to $17 and more often my pay was in the neighborhood of $2 to $5. There were times when my pay was less than a dollar.

There were instances where the greatest good was to pay the rent and on those occasions the money that would have been allocated for staff pay went to pay the landlord instead.

http://www.worldcat.org./profiles/Wieber/lists/563909

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:15 pm 

Here is an older thread about staff pay:

http://ocmb.xenu.net/ocmb/viewtopic.php ... torder=asc

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:40 pm 

I found it! Yay for search engines and creative googling! (I just knew I'd seen this somewhere.)

Here is the document (worksheet) which describes how each week's funds are allocated. ----> cos-classv-fbo-allocation-form.pdf

The post which mentioned it is: http://forums.whyweprotest.net/873007-post343/
which has a bit from "exOT8Michael" who writes "What I observed was the FP gave staff pay LOWEST priority."

Then someone else points to where you can download the document (cos-classv-fbo-allocation-form.pdf).

That is the worksheet the org goes through at the end of each week to distribute the pay. There's a lot of LRH policies about "30% going to staff pay" but the post mentioned above challenges someone to actually do the math and one will find out that the percentage for staff pay is quite lower than 30%.

I'm not up to the challenge today, but fisherman might be. If you do it, fisherman, I'd love to know what the result is.

anonymous WWP person wrote:
I challenge someone to take this scientology class v fbo allocation form , find the staff pay near the end and calculate what percentage of gross income the poor sods actually get. Co$ will tell potential staff (recruits, applicants) that they get 30% of gross income, but that's not true. I'll bet the percentage is more like 5%.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:55 pm 

Thx, fisherman. How do you add items? I logged in to the main forum at http://forums.whyweprotest.net/ and went to http://wiki.whyweprotest.net/Organization_Chart
and saw no way to add to it. I clicked login and got a blank page.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:53 am 

Thanks everyone, I'll get to work!

Don Carlo,

The wiki is down with a “bug”. For several days it's been readable, but not “editable”. Maybe that was your problem? Also, you have to register separately to edit the wiki. You can register using your WWP login name and password (if you want to), but it's a separate registration. Your existing WWP account does not provide access to the wiki.

Here's how you add items. Rather than explain the process generically, it will be easier if I walk through the specific steps to add something to “Operation Press Pack”. You'll be able to adapt this to whatever you want to do in other sections. Run through it once and you'll have it. It's really easy once you do it.

For this example, let's assume you want to add a text document “Notes on Chart” to the wiki. Whatever we add to the wiki, first we create a “container” for it. Then we add the document, chart, links, etc.

1.Login to the wiki

2.On the opening “Main Page” click on “On-line Operations” in the center panel “Anonymous”

3.On the page “On-line operations” click on “Operation press pack”

4.On the page “Operation press pack” scroll down to “Corporate Scientology, Cashflow, and Tax Exempt Status”

5.Click the blue word [edit] on the right side of the screen. It's on the same line as the section title.

6.You're now in the edit frame for this section. The lines with double brackets are active frames or “containers”. We need to make one.

7.“Click” into the frame. You can “click” in anywhere, but let's put the cursor at the end of the line, * [[Organization Chart]]

8.Hit “return” to create a blank line underneath * [[Organization Chart]] Obviously, you can create a blank line anywhere, depending on where you want the new container to appear. Let's put it under * [[Organization Chart]] for now.

9.Type * [[Notes on Chart]] on the blank line you've created. (you need to include the asterisk).

10.Click “Save page” or “Show preview” at the bottom of the screen. This will take you up one level to the “Corporate Scientology, Cashflow, and Tax Exempt Status” section.

11.You will now see “Notes on Chart” in red letters underneath “Organization Chart” This is the container you created to add the notes.

12.Click on the red letters “Notes on Chart” The red indicates the "container" is empty.

13.This opens the “container” and shows a blank frame where you can copy/paste your text. You should see “Editing Notes on Chart” over-top of the frame along with some buttons for text formatting.

14.You can copy/paste text into the frame, or type text directly. You can also add links.

15.Click “Save page” or “Show preview” to see how your text looks. Once you click “Save Page” whatever you've added is saved to the wiki. You can go back in and edit it at any time.

That's all there is to adding content to the wiki, but here are a few notes.

Uploading Images: To add image files you'll need to upload the image and link it to your “container”. On the left side of the screen you'll see a box labeled “toolbox”. Click on “upload file” to add an image to the wiki that you can link to your container. You can also click “Special Pages” and then click “Upload file” under the “Media reports and uploads” section.

After uploading an image, navigate back to your “container” (or upload it first and then create the container)

In the "container" add the line [[file:nameofimage.jpg]]

This will display the image in your "container" after you click “Save page” or “Show preview”

The best way to see how to add images and formatting commands is to open an existing wiki item in “edit” mode and see what others have done. For example, If you open “Organization Chart” and click the “edit” tab, you'll see your chart identified as [[File: cosorgchartdoncarlo.jpg]] That's how I got your chart to display in that “container”

With large image files like your charts, it's difficult to add text to the "container" holding the chart, that is additional text, not the text in the chart. Once you size the added text proportional to the chart, you get a document so large it doesn't display well. I'd suggest using separate containers for textual notes, as described here.

Additionally, don't worry too much about formatting what you put in the wiki (unless you want to). Our helpful staff at “Operation press pack” will do the formatting for you and make whatever you submit “as pretty as a picture”! :-)

Just get the content into the frame and we'll take it from there (if you like)

Final notes: there are other ways to do things, but these steps are generally applicable to any part of the wiki. For example, you can create and/or get to the “container” by clicking the “edit” tab at the top of the pertinent page instead of scrolling down to the blue [edit]

Practicing: If you want to practice, try any operation described and click the “show preview” instead of “save page” at the bottom of any screen. That way you don't finalize anything. Just back out of whatever you've been playing with and it will disappear.

Practicing now, while the wiki has a bug, might be a good idea. The "show preview" functions work just fine, but "save page" is inoperative

Once you “save page” the content is committed to that section of the wiki. You can display it in any other section by simply typing [[title of my content]]. However, moving the content itself requires a note to the moderator.

It's not a big deal, but for me, it's easiest to add content to “operation press pack” and use that as “home base” for my content. Of course, you can choose any section of the wiki for your “home base” or scatter content throughout the wiki. It's up to you.

Hope this helps

fisherman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:41 pm 

Thanks. I'd like to put up a slightly improved chart, the one currently at http://ocmb.xenu.net/ocmb/viewtopic.php?t=31561 and, as a separate item, its Key and Footnotes.