Eric Hoffer and Waking Up.

A place to post and debate the Church of Scientology.
Roan

Eric Hoffer and Waking Up.

Post by Roan » Sun Nov 26, 2006 9:54 am

Lurkers sneaking on the Internet at Orgs, Scientologists and recovering Scientologists please study Eric Hoffer. By all means read The True Believer a classic on the mass movements of people and mob mentality, but it is the life of Hoffer that I wish to hi-light here that bears relevance to people exiting the Church of Scientology.

15 years ago I was cast in the role of McCarthy in William Saroyan's The Time of Your Life. McCarthy, my director told me, was based on the real life American longshoreman and philosopher Eric Hoffer. Longshoreman/philosopher?!?, I thought.
My imagination was fired! I dove into the research with De Niro-like intensity and what I discovered amazed me and added to the mosaic of my then vastly changing life.

The theme that I want you all to follow here is one of waking up. Waking up from a sleep, waking up from false information given to you by someone you love or admire, waking up from programming you have received that contains both positive and highly destructive elements. It can take a long time to wake up.

Hoffer, I soon learned, was born into a mid-western family who employed a German "nanny" of sorts; this nanny bore the main responsibility of rearing young Eric and her influence upon him was to be by far the most profound one on his life. Students of history have long noted that more often than not, it is a strong mother who exerts the most indelible and lasting influence on the psychology of boys who go on to great achievement as men on the world stage. i.e., Napoleon and Douglas MacArthur come to mind.

Hoffer's German Nanny raised him with much love, tenderness and positive re-enforcement. Some might say a little too much love and tenderness! heh heh She breast fed him as a baby and continued to act as his "wet-nurse" long after the time when more modern Dr. Spock-types might encourage them to stop! :shock:

More importantly though, she constantly whispered positive re-enforcement in his ear: that he was destined to great things; because of his great abilities, a prominent place in society and the world of accomplishment lay ahead for him, nothing could stop him.

At the age of five or six he was in his nanny's arms when they both fell down the stairs of their large, mid-western home. Hoffer was struck blind. This was particularly tragic since the boy had just been taught to read (by the nanny of course) and had displayed precocious talent with books.

During the months and years following the accident, our good nanny redoubled her efforts at instilling a positive mental outlook in young Eric. Bizarrely though, she also filled his head with foreboding ideas of doom: that he would die young; by the age of forty, from a mysterious familial ailment that struck down many of the Hoffer men.

At the age of twelve or so, (I kid you not) Hoffer again fell down the stairs! Again, (I believe) the nanny was present. Hoffer's eyesight inexplicably returned!

Heeding the next bizarre motivational prophesy of his nanny (that his restored sight would not long last, so he better make the best use of it), young Hoffer poured himself into books and reading. Through his own talents, along with the intense educational guidance of his nanny, (let's not forget her continuing "buxom sustenance") and harried by the certainty that his sight was fleeting, the boy over the years, literally inhaled a Classical Education.

...continued next post..
Last edited by Roan on Sun Nov 26, 2006 10:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
“The failure to condemn an activity is indeed, an offer of tacit approval.
All it takes for evil to flourish is for good men to do nothing.” — Edmund Burke

Roan

Post by Roan » Sun Nov 26, 2006 10:02 am

Hoffer, though from a family of means, decided against college. Why prepare for a career when you would be dead by 40?

So at age 17 or 18 he took to the roads. Living the life of a wandering hobo, Hoffer rode rail cars, walked and hitchhiked across the States. But always he read and read, frequenting public libraries by day and reading into the wee hours in flophouses and itinerant labor camps. The French philosopher Montaigne was a favorite.

For Hoffer a life-long pattern was emerging: physical activity, work, fellowship among workers and Americas "ne'er do wells" during the day, followed by reading and writing at night. If Woody Guthrie was the Bob Dylan/Bruce Springsteen of The Depression Era, then America's Voltaire was being forged in the same foundry. He lived this way for many years.

But the American landscape is always transforming on a person who travels it and Hoffer was no exception. Gradually as the years went by some of the odd mental programming he had received from his beloved Nanny began to dissipate. As he got up into his middle and late thirties, it began to dawn on him that he might live longer than heretofore expected, that maybe something wasn't quite right with Frau Nanny, that for whatever reason, she had fed him false information. Information that wasn't workable to living a long, happy and productive life. He was waking up.

Sound familiar?

About this time, Hoffer had made his way to San Francisco and had procured work on the docks as a longshoreman. Hard work, camaraderie and fresh air during the day allowed him to process the ideas he would write about alone at night in his small waterfront shack. Now fairly certain that he wouldn't be dying soon, Hoffer felt free to settle into what was for him, the perfect sort of life. A tireless stevedore and union stalwart by day, a prolific writer and budding philosopher by night, Hoffer thrived this way for many years and wrote his best work.

It was during this productive time that he wrote The True Believer, an acknowledged classic of World thought, an undressing of mass brainwashing and a major work of world philosophy. A work that legitimately ranks him with his beloved Montaigne, in the same pantheon as Plato. He is perhaps America’s greatest philosopher and certainly the world's most "American" one. His work is warmly welcomed and resides in libraries all over the world. That his books are ubiquitous in public libraries would be Hoffers own proudest accomplishment. He died an honorary Doctor and working Professor of Philosophy at The University of San Francisco.

The world is a better place because he gradually "awoke."

The role of McCarthy is a small one in The Time Of Your Life. But no role was easier for me to so subsume myself into as I stood backstage and waited to go on. Onstage, speaking those lines turned out to be for me, the only moments as an actor that I have ever felt... not myself, yet more myself... not in my own body. I was floating. It wasn't me that was out there, I was gone.

I had been out of Scientology for ten years and had pretty much not looked back. But studying Hoffer and playing McCarthy helped me to understand how it happens. And though Eric was an atheist of sorts, I hope he was wrong on that count and that when I get to the other side we can chat about the books we each have read.

:)
All it takes for evil to flourish is for good men to do nothing.” — Edmund Burke

itsaline

Post by itsaline » Sun Nov 26, 2006 10:09 am

Nice post.

I've never heard of him but I'll try to get a hold of The True believer and have a read. He sounds like a fascinating dude.
www.forum.exscn.net

Ladybird

Post by Ladybird » Sun Nov 26, 2006 10:28 am

Awesome, Roan. Thank you for posting these. I read them aloud to my younger adult sons, one of whom is a writer and wants to be a philosopher. I keep telling him philosophy does not pay well. My siamese cat sat on my desk staring at me like he understood. too.

Just wanted to let you know that you made a difference in my life today, as you have many times...thanks for being here.

Ladybird

Snow White

Post by Snow White » Sun Nov 26, 2006 1:00 pm

Yes, that was one of the books that I recently ordered and will receive in the mail soon, along with Steve Hassan's "Combatting Mind Control", Margaret Singer's "Cults in our Midst" and Karen Schless Presley's new book.

Really looking forward to them.

daisy

Post by daisy » Sun Nov 26, 2006 4:15 pm

Thank you Roan. With all the crap scientology does to people, it is the false ideas and programming which are the most damaging.

Hubbard's Mushroom

Post by Hubbard's Mushroom » Sun Nov 26, 2006 4:24 pm

"It is the false ideas and programming which are the
most damaging."

Without brainwashing, there would be no CoS.

Hubbard's Mushroom

Post by Hubbard's Mushroom » Sun Nov 26, 2006 4:28 pm

++++++++++++++Sacred Cult Scripture++++++++++

4. We now know more about psychiatry than psychiatrists. We can
brainwash faster than the Russians (20 secs to total amnesia
against three years to slightly confused loyalty).

- L. Ron Hubbard
TECHNICAL BULLETIN OF 22 JULY 1956

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

lermanet_com

Post by lermanet_com » Sun Nov 26, 2006 5:35 pm

President Eisenhower has the distinction of being being compared to Hitler and Stalin in the last volume of The Mission Earth series by L Ron Hubbard the conman that crafted Scientology. President Eisenhower also directed his own staff to read a book that I use when deprogramming Scientologists.. Eric Hoffer's True Believer - The psychology of mass movements.
Do you THINK scientology works?
Then read [url=http://ocmb.xenu.net/ocmb/viewtopic.php?t=20255&start=285]THIS PAGE[/url] here on XENU.NET

daisy

Post by daisy » Sun Nov 26, 2006 6:47 pm

HM:
Of course you are right HM. I quess I didn't give my statement much thought. Having left the cult 2 1/2 years ago after 29 years in, I have a lot to learn. When I first got out there was so much to read and so much to talk about with other ex-scienos. I really didn't see myself as brainwashed or programmed and had felt that I had gotten out pretty unscathed. But as time has gone by and some of the programs don't work anymore , I see how I was educated to think as hubbard had planned.

I think it will take longer then I thought.

lermanet_com

Post by lermanet_com » Sun Nov 26, 2006 6:49 pm

daisy wrote:HM:
Of course you are right HM. I quess I didn't give my statement much thought. Having left the cult 2 1/2 years ago after 29 years in, I have a lot to learn. When I first got out there was so much to read and so much to talk about with other ex-scienos. I really didn't see myself as brainwashed or programmed and had felt that I had gotten out pretty unscathed. But as time has gone by and some of the programs don't work anymore , I see how I was educated to think as hubbard had planned.

I think it will take longer then I thought.

12 years per FLo Conway in Snapping, less if you avail yourself of the lessons learned by others as they fought their way out of the black box for trusting minds that "ron" built.

http://www.lermanet.com/exit/

More deprogramming tips archived HERE
http://ocmb.lermanet.us/discussion/viewforum.php?f=8
http://ocmb.lermanet.us/discussion/viewforum.php?f=33

Arnie Lerma
703-241-1498
Then read [url=http://ocmb.xenu.net/ocmb/viewtopic.php?t=20255&start=285]THIS PAGE[/url] here on XENU.NET

Roan

Post by Roan » Sun Dec 03, 2006 4:28 am

A Saturday night bump.

Int. Base Execs. & lurkers: Time to blow! Hit the road like the Longshoreman Philosopher did.

There are safe-houses in the L.A., Riverside, O.C. areas.

In 1983, Hoffer was awarded the Medal Of Freedom by President Ronald Reagan.

"The mass movements discussed in The True Believer include religious mass movements as well as political, including extensive discussions of Islam and Christianity. They also include seemingly benign mass movements which are neither political nor religious. A core principle in the book is Hoffer's insight that mass movements are interchangeable; he notes fanatical Nazis later becoming fanatical Communists, fanatical Communists later becoming fanatical anti-Communists, and Saul, persecutor of Christians, becoming Paul, a fanatical Christian himself. For the true believer the substance of the mass movement isn't so important as that he or she is part of that movement. Hoffer furthermore suggests that it is possible to head off the rise of an undesirable mass movement by substituting a benign mass movement, which will give those prone to joining movements an outlet for their insecurities."

"Hoffer's work was original, staking out new ground largely ignored by dominant academic trends of his time. In particular, Hoffer's work was completely non-Freudian, at a time when almost all American psychology was confined to the Freudian paradigm. In avoiding the academic mainstream, he managed to avoid the straitjacket of established thought. Many argue Hoffer's lack of a formal University education contributed to his independent thought, with his book remaining an insightful classic today. Hoffer appeared on Public Television in 1964 and then in two one-hour conversations on CBS with Eric Sevareid in the late 1960s. Both times he drew wide response for his patiently considered but unorthodox views."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------from Wikipedia

lermanet_com

Post by lermanet_com » Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:14 pm

Roan

Im not gonna let this scroll off the front page of ocmb until It gets archived

arnie

PS: I told an every word is true story you might like
"To catch a theif"
in the Mystory section HERE
viewtopic.php?t=21519

lucy skywalker

Post by lucy skywalker » Thu Dec 07, 2006 10:47 pm

Roan what an excellent post!!! Thanks for bumping this Arnie. I missed it in all the hoopla of late.

Sharing Ladybird's sentiment Roan you made a difference in my life today as well! I am hoping that lurkers who are thinking of exiting Scientology will read this too and will make their decision to leave much sooner than later.

How awesome for you to have found this and be able to act this out on stage! Just absolutely wonderful. These are the types of posts that make OCMB a safe and healing place, amidst the chaos that occassionally ensues!

Thank you Roan! :D

Roan

Post by Roan » Sun Dec 10, 2006 2:28 am

To undress the dilemma enunciated in this comic strip...

Return to “Opinions & Debate”