Eric Hoffer and Waking Up.

A place to post and debate the Church of Scientology.
Roan

Saturday Night Bump

Post by Roan » Sun Jan 06, 2008 3:53 am

http://www.erichoffer.net/

In addition to The True Believer and other works by Hoffer, here is some reading for those who are exiting Scientology:

Snapping: America's Epidemic of Sudden Personality Change; ~~ Flo Conway, Jim Siegelman

How To Survive The Loss Of A Love; ~~ Harold Bloomfield, M.D., Melba Colgrove, Ph.D., Peter McWilliams

Extraordinary Popular Delusions & the Madness of Crowds ; ~~ Charles MacKay, Andrew Tobias

Emotional Blackmail: When the People in Your Life Use Fear, Obligation and Guilt to Manipulate You; ~~ Susan Forward, Donna Frazier

In Sheep's Clothing: Understanding and Dealing With Manipulative People; ~~ George K. Simon

The Hero With A Thousand Faces; ~~ Joseph CampbellImageImage

Stop Walking On Eggshells; ~~ Paul Mason, Randi Kreger

License To Steal; Traveling Con Artists: Their Games, Their Rules, Your MoneyImage ~~ Dennis Marlock, John Dowling

“The failure to condemn an activity is indeed, an offer of tacit approval.
All it takes for evil to flourish is for good men to do nothing.” — Edmund Burke

Murray Luther

Post by Murray Luther » Sun Jan 06, 2008 7:25 am

This is the most intelligent thread on OCMB that I can recall in recent time. Thanks for the reading list, Roan. I read constantly, and like to think that my post-Scn education has been a worthwhile pursuit.

"True Believers" is a must read for anyone interested in cults, whether they be religious, political or social.

To be perfectly frank, I think Scn critics would be much better served if they spent a little more time reading books and a little less time logging their rants on sites such as this.

One of my intellectual mentors said it well back in 1966. Frank Zappa, in the liner notes of his first album said, "...go to the library and educate yourself if you've got any guts.

I_feel_great!

Post by I_feel_great! » Sun Jan 06, 2008 7:40 am

Hoffer had a great ability to say a lot in just a sentence or two. Don't wait until you can get a book of his; google "Eric Hoffer quotes" and you'll be amazed at how many of his aphorisms are applicable to Scientology.
Here are some of the [url=http://www.xenu.net/archive/go/b1drills/drills1.htm][color=red]drills used by the cult to teach its members how to be effective at destroying people they don't like.[/color][/url]

ArnieLerma

Re: Eric Hoffer and Waking Up.

Post by ArnieLerma » Fri May 26, 2017 1:11 am

A list of books I have found valuable

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. The mediocre mind is incapable of understanding the man who refuses to bow blindly to conventional prejudices and chooses instead to express his opinions courageously and honestly." -- Albert Einstein, Letter to Morris Raphael Cohen, professor emeritus of philosophy at the College of the City of New York, defending the appointment of Bertrand Russell to a teaching position (19 March 1940)

“That hatred springs more from self-contempt than from a legitimate grievance is seen in the intimate connection between hatred and a guilty conscience. There is perhaps no surer way of infecting ourselves with virulent hatred toward a person than by doing him a grave injustice. That others have a just grievance against us is a more potent reason for hating them than that we have a just grievance against them. ……Self-righteousness is a loud din raised to drown the voice of guilt within us.”
Eric Hoffer, "True Believer" from LINK

Title: 9 steps out of Scientology

Author: Arnie Lerma
Date: 31 Aug 1997 17:01:27 -0700
REVISED-1

I was in the cult and on staff for 10 years... here are the stages I have seen... as one exits the 'Hubbardian' mind control program....

1) There is something wrong here, if this is so great, then
why is (______) going on?

[ insert whatever atrocity you have recently witnessed ]

2) The guys at the top must be crazy

3) Miscavige and crew are evil demons from another dimension
[ or something similar ]

4) Hubbard went crazy at the end .....

5) Hubbard went crazy in 1966

6) Hubbard was mad from the start.

7) This whole thing is a complete fraud

8) my god, its a criminal organization... with criminal convictions
all over the world... and it was only about money

9) realization that THERE ARE NO OT's THERE!

10) realizing, after leaving Scientology, this makes one an ex-nazi and wanting to do something about it

LINKED version is HERE
Link cited by the UK Guardian newspaper in 1997
I's prefer to die speaking my mind than live fearing to speake

Lermanet.com Exposing the CON since 1993
arnielerma.wordpress.com

Return to “Opinions & Debate”