Looking for Christina “Licorice” McKechnie

A place to post and debate the Church of Scientology.
Albion

Looking for Christina “Licorice” McKechnie

Post by Albion » Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:31 am

Hi folks,

A brief word to introduce myself and then a request for help. I am a British journalist with a long-term interest in Scientology. Some of you may have received PMs from me from out of the blue – apologies if I alarmed anyone, but you must realise that I’m far too polite to be OSA!

This is something of a long shot, but I have a request for information that is more of a personal nature than professional. A good friend of mine is the niece of Christina “Licorice” McKechnie, once of the Incredible String Band, who spent some time in Scientology. Christina’s sister has been trying to contact her for some time, even going so far as to hire private detectives to try to find her, but with no luck.

From a browse around the Internet it seems she is long gone from Scientology, but I suppose there is a chance she is still in touch with some former members. She was apparently with a guy called David Zimian
who was in Scientology in the 1970s (http://www.truthaboutscientology.com/st ... imian.html). And at one point she was married (?) to Brian Lambert.

All this comes from http://www.websleuths.com/forums/archiv ... hp/t-40373 and I can’t
vouch for its reliability, except that guy obviously has a crush on her, which is a pretty good motivator. (I can understand that: I had a thing about Rickie Lee Jones for years.)

Do you have any idea who might have a line on where she is at the moment? I know that from the Scientology point of view the trail may have gone cold long ago, but perhaps some former members in California / Colorado could help. Even if you don’t know her current whereabouts I think her family needs somebody to fill in some of the blanks from the past: they are beginning to fear the worst. If you think of anything, please get in touch.

Best,

Albion

thorn

Likky McKechnie

Post by thorn » Wed Mar 14, 2007 3:32 am

I remember Licorice back when I was at AOLA (73-78). I had been a huge Incredible String Band fan and one day in the summer of 1978, she called up asking for a particular copy of Advance Magazine. I had the issue she wanted and was thrilled to meet her. She was very sweet in person wearing jeans, a t-shirt and high-top sneakers, I was surprised at how short she was. None of this helps locate her but I wish you luck in finding her.

-Thorn

Albion

Re: Likky McKechnie

Post by Albion » Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:13 am

thorn wrote:I remember Licorice back when I was at AOLA (73-78). I had been a huge Incredible String Band fan and one day in the summer of 1978, she called up asking for a particular copy of Advance Magazine. I had the issue she wanted and was thrilled to meet her. She was very sweet in person wearing jeans, a t-shirt and high-top sneakers, I was surprised at how short she was. None of this helps locate her but I wish you luck in finding her.

-Thorn
Thanks Thorn, I expect I'm hoping for too much to actually be able to track her down. But I think her family would appreciate being able to fill in some of the blanks, so every contribution helps, in a way. From what people tell me, she was quite a remarkable character. Once a few replies have accumulated, I'll send the link to her niece so she can read through it.

Best, Albion

deb_thang

Post by deb_thang » Wed Mar 14, 2007 4:29 pm

This is such an interesting story. I sure hope she hasn't met any harm, and that her family locates her soon.

BTH

Re: Looking for Christina “Licorice” McKechnie

Post by BTH » Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:44 pm

It has been 28 years now. She must have passed away at this point - somehow she would have found a way to contact her family or a friend.

Her last confirmed sighting according to the very reliable Mojo music magazine was in 1987 when she was "confused" and hitch-hiking across the Arizona desert.

My personal feeling is she met with foul play out there - it's a dangerous thing to do, and the wastes of Arizona are not safe to travel alone in.

R.I.P.

Return to “Opinions & Debate”