What Would You Say to a Lurking Scientologist?

A place to post and debate the Church of Scientology.
'Alert'

Re: What Would You Say to a Lurking Scientologist?

Post by 'Alert' » Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:29 am

I have only 4 words for those still "in"

You are not alone
"If anyone talks about a "road to Freedom" he is talking about a linear line. This, then, must have boundaries. If there are boundaries there is no freedom." - Dianetics 55

Demented Lron

Post by Demented Lron » Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:11 pm

^I heard that in some third-world countries the cargo doesn't have to go through the customs, they just load it on a ship. I do not know whether this tactics is used in Latin American countries and in the Carribeans.

Demented Lron

Post by Demented Lron » Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:00 pm

"Some say that the story of Hubbard's son's death is the stuff that the mystery movies are made of. Do you think there was a foul play?" I said

"I do not think so. Quentin just couldn't handle the pressure of being gay and LRH's son at the same time," said Bob

"Yeah, being a "degraded being" and Hubbard's flesh-and-blood could take a toll on your psyche." I said

"Nevertheless, this is a captivating conspiracy theory, perhaps in the future somebody would come up with a movie script based on it," said Bob

bestia

Post by bestia » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:10 pm

It occurs to me that Scientology is completely dictatorial. Makes me wonder: has there ever been a movement within scientology for some kind of democratic self-governance, i.e., electing leaders and putting limits on their powers? If so, what happened? If not, why not? I’m not affiliated with any religion, but it seems to me that most of them, like most corporations and government entities, have some system of checks, balances and boards of overseers.

Don Carlo

Post by Don Carlo » Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:04 am

Welcome, bestia. The "Board of Directors" is a sham in the Church of Scientology International, and similar Sea Org-run corporations. They do have their own supposed leaders who work long hours and and bully their underlings (if they are not in the RPF or locked up at Gold Base). However, for major decisions they must obey Miscavige.

Wieber

Post by Wieber » Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:33 am

Scientology runs as exactly as possible on the policies written by L. Ron Hubbard. They are called HCO PLs, short for Hubbard Communications Office Policy Letters. They are printed green on white paper. There are also FOs or Flag Orders printed black on white paper. Those are combined with the HCO PLs to run the sea org. Where there is a conflict, in the sea org, between HCO PLs and FOs the FOs take precedence.

Hubbard wrote in an HCO PL that everyone studies as part of a course called Staff Status One (SS1) before signing a staff contract that people who are on staff in Scientology may not organize. They cannot form a union or any other kind of staff association. In another policy or on one of Hubbard's taped lectures on organization, which also may be taken as policy, Hubbard stated that the best form of government was a benign dictatorship.

As far as I know there has never been a movement within Scientology to do what you suggest, bestia. I have only been in five non sea org orgs (try saying that real fast a few times), in Scientology, so I can't speak for the entire organization. (With a few of those orgs, I had only visited for a few hours.) However if a group of people ever did form a movement within Scientology to democratize the organization they would very quickly be found to be off policy for organizing and subject to punishment within the organization or to being declared suppressive persons and routed out of Scientology with freeloader debts, which are more often than not in the high thousands of dollars.

If there's anything I have stated above you want explained, ask away and I'll attempt to explain. Keep in mind I was an extremely low ranking staff member and while I was on staff the only major staff course I took was Staff Status One. Despite that I did manage to read many policy letters. This is a must for anyone on staff in Scientology, as everything that happens in the organization has to comply with at least one of Hubbard's policies.
“Think wrongly if you please, but in all cases think for yourself.”
Doris Lessing

Demented Lron

Post by Demented Lron » Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:09 pm

While studying LRH's early biography, Bob found an interesting fact -- LRH's childhood nickname was not "Lafi" as previously thought, it was "Larva". Apparently, young Hubbard fell victim to a prank -- his classmates gave him a frog larva and said it was an expensive black caviar. LRH ate it and said, "this is so good, give me more!" One of his friends said, "Go to the pond and get it for yourself."

violab

Post by violab » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:12 am

Greeting all! This forum is fantastic! I’m learning a ton.
Here’s my question:
I have read testimonials in scientology publications that feature claims about space in relation to training on the “Bridge.” One I saw today enthusiastically declares that “my space is large and totally under my control.” My space is large? What does this mean?

Don Carlo

Post by Don Carlo » Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:16 pm

Hello, violab, "my space is large" sounds enthusiastic, un-provable and meaningless. Perfect when you have to cough up a testimonial.

Welcome to the Bake. After three posts you become a regular poster.

Wieber

Post by Wieber » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:46 pm

If you had asked that of me, violab, when I was in the organization, I would have had to reading the definition of, 'space,' in a dictionary and then L. Ron Hubbard's Scientology definition of, 'space,' in the Scientology dictionary. You can do that, if you want, but right now I think that would be a waste of time.

When one reads books on cults, mind control, totalitarian regimes, etc., such as Steven Hassan's Combating Cult Mind Control and Robert Jay Lifton's Thought Reform and the Psychology of Totalism it becomes apparent that loaded language is a general cult attribute. George Orwell deals with this in his essay on New Speak in the back of 1984.

Scientology makes a point of looking up words in dictionaries. However, L. Ron Hubbard, in his writings and lectures, redefined words, and coined new ones. Redefining words was easy to do with some words as they were not commonly used in most people's day to day dealings. With others the shift in meaning was accomplished more subtly and over time.

The claimed motivation behind this is to impart new, better and more useful concepts that will help a person realize their full potential. In fact, one of the things loading the language does is to isolate people. Those who become adept with the loaded language become separated from those outside the cult or totalitarian regime because those outside do not understand what those within are saying.

Your question illustrates this aspect of the loaded language. "I have read testimonials in scientology publications that feature claims about space in relation to training on the “Bridge.” One I saw today enthusiastically declares that “my space is large and totally under my control.” My space is large? What does this mean?" You not understanding what is being said, and asking the question, is more or less mission accomplished for Scientology. If I were to give you the cult definition of space and explain the testimonial I would just be helping to indoctrinate you into the cult. I think that would be a bad thing to do so I'm not going there. Nevertheless I hope my explanation about loaded language will be satisfactory. There is more going on with a loaded language but, I think the piece of it I described is relevant to your question.
“Think wrongly if you please, but in all cases think for yourself.”
Doris Lessing

Demented Lron

Post by Demented Lron » Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:01 pm

"My SO friend saw a set of instructions about painting cars, LRH wrote it. That makes no sense to me -- who is going to paint a car by himself? This is car mechanics' job," I said.

"I have two words for that -- control freak. The Lord of Flies wanted to control every aspect of their miserable lives, " said Bob.

"Don't watch the TV, don't read newspapers. I didn't put up with that shit, but a lot of others did," I said

"When I was pretending to be a Scientologist, they tried to convince me that I should install a software protecting me from outside criticism of Scientology. I didn't want to argue, so I installed their crap into my old laptop that I was planning to donate to a local school. I gave the school my laptop with the Scientology software. I don't think that kids care about Scientology these days." said Bob

Demented Lron

Post by Demented Lron » Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:52 pm

Here is the only question that Bob couldn't answer -- Was LRH a conman or a madman or both?

Personally, I think he was a madman. He did become rich, but I don't think he deserves a credit for it -- his unscrupulous associates made him and themselves rich.

What do you think?

Return to “Opinions & Debate”