How I Fooled the E-meter.

A place to post and debate the Church of Scientology.
Peter Schilte

Re: How I Fooled the E-meter.

Post by Peter Schilte » Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:33 am

I did an experiment. I "built" my own, improvised, E-meter by using tinfoil + 2 toilet paper tubes to make the "cans", and a cheap multimeter.
Here are the results of different methods of holding the "cans":

Loosely holding the cans: 1400 Ω
Firmly holding the cans: 400 Ω
Sweaty/moist palms loosely holding the cans: 120 Ω
Sweaty/moist palms firmly holding the cans: 65 Ω

Other than Hubbard I did several control sessions, and all of them gave about the same results.

Conclusion: E-meter readings are bogus, as they can easily be manipulated, and are also influenced by, let's say, the weather, or physical conditions.

Peter
"THE ONLY WAY YOU CAN CONTROL PEOPLE IS TO LIE TO THEM."
- L. Ron Hubbard

http://www.scamofscientology.nl

Demented LRH

Post by Demented LRH » Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:32 pm

^^Those are properly designed experiments, I understand the purpose behind them.

In contrast, someone at ESMB placed an e-meter into a fish tank filled with water and conducted the experiments that I couldn’t understand, then used the results of his study to conclude that e-meter is a valid device.
“This OT shit is driving me insane. On a positive side, I laugh a lot these days because I’m at a funny farm.”
L. Ron Hubbard

L. Ron Hubbard era un maestro de masturbacion fisica y mental.

Demented LRH

Post by Demented LRH » Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:41 pm

Hubbard wrote on several occasions that an engram is recorded on a cellular level in the brain cells. Let’s assume for a moment that he was right. Then the e-meter, at least in theory, is used to detect the cellular changes, as Hubbard suggested. The problem with this “explanation” is that the e-meter current attenuates before it reaches the brain.

The electric circuit between the e-meter cans is closed, as it should be; the elements that close it are the person’s hands and chest. However, the brain is not a part of the circuit. If you want to measure a brain current, you should use an electric helmet connected directly to the scull, not the e-meter.

There is another problem with the silly device -- it is used to detect overts, which makes it an equivalent of the lie detector. But the chiropractors didn’t use the original e-meter as a lie detector, which means that it was designed for the purpose that has nothing to do with the individual’s lies or truthfulness.

In short, the e-meter is a bogus device with meaningless readings.
“This OT shit is driving me insane. On a positive side, I laugh a lot these days because I’m at a funny farm.”
L. Ron Hubbard

'Alert'

Post by 'Alert' » Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:04 pm

Demented LRH wrote:Hubbard wrote on several occasions that an engram is recorded on a cellular level in the brain cells.
Actually, he wrote/spewed forth that cellular memory wasn't confined to the brain.
"If anyone talks about a "road to Freedom" he is talking about a linear line. This, then, must have boundaries. If there are boundaries there is no freedom." - Dianetics 55

Demented LRH

Post by Demented LRH » Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:55 pm

E-meter is a modified ohmmeter. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E-meter

When an ohmmeter, or any other electronic measurement device, is used to measure resistance (current, voltage, etc) its hand reaches a mark on the scale and stops moving, so the user can take the readings. A normal ohmmeter is not supposed to produce the “floating needle effect” because it prevents the resistance from being measured.

A vital part of the ohmmeter is the Wheatstone bridge. In a properly functioning ohmmeter no current should flow through the middle part. But in an unbalanced Wheatstone bridge the current flow thorough the middle part, which produces, depending on the current value, either incorrect readings or the floating needle effect.

A crook, Volney Mathison, modified the ohmmeter in such way that it started producing the floating needle effect, and was using it for his chiropractic sessions. Then another crook, L. Ron Hubbard, begun using the defective device for his Dianetics sessions.
L. Ron Hubbard

DoubtingMark

Post by DoubtingMark » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:28 pm

I can verify that the E-meter can be fooled by changing your grip on the cans. I recently had a Scientologist give me a demonstration with an E-Meter, and I did just that. My father was a Scientologist in the 1970's, and I remember playing with an older version of the E-Meter as a kid, and making the needle move around by gripping tightly or relaxing the grip.

If an 8 year old kid can fool it, I can't imagine that it's a very useful tool for anything.

Demented LRH

Post by Demented LRH » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:28 pm

The oscilloscope is the most sophisticated electronics measurement device, in the last 3 decades it had undergone drastic changes in its structure -- it has moved from the cathode rays tube to the flat screen device. But the other electronic devices such as ohmmeters, ammeters and voltmeters have much simpler structures, their circuitries remained the same for the last 50 years.

Every decade or so CoS proudly declare that they have new, more advanced version of the e-meter; its price goes up by approximately 30%. But this is a lie -- the e-meter circuitry remains unchanged because there is nothing to improve upon. The new models look different because of the changes in the casing design, but they are just as dysfunctional as their predecessors are.

I know that not all readers would agree with my assessment of the new models of the e-meter. I have a suggestion for them -- obtain the schematics of the device that was used in 1960s and compare them with the schematics of the modern device. I guarantee that there are no changes in the e-meter circuitry.
L. Ron Hubbard

Don Carlo

Post by Don Carlo » Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:54 pm

Notice people working their sleek smart-phones and fondly holding them. They'll never have that love for a stodgy old e-meter, no matter if it has a fancier exterior.

Wieber

Post by Wieber » Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:23 pm

In Scientology the e-meter is regarded as a holy artifact.

I think there are policies or bulletins that say that.

I think there is also a policy or bulletin that prohibits opening one up to see what's inside it.

In addition to that I think there is a policy or bulletin that only Scientologists in good standing may have an e-meter in their possession.

I haven't read any of that but I get the impression from comments and behavior of technically trained people in Scientology and of staff members in Scientology's office of special affairs that such documents must exist.

This web site shows an e-meter's insides.
http://xenu.freewinds.be/meter/e-meter_e.htm

This one shows the insides, too.
http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~dst/E-Meter/Mark-VII/

I saw one of these once.
The org had a booth at a psychic fair and sent me over as part of a divisional all hands. One of the people with a booth had an e-meter like this one. All of the all hands people were very interested in it and the guy who had it was very interested in what we had to say to him.

Later on when I told a staff member in the guardian's office about it they got all edgy and went into interrogation mode. "What was his name? What was his phone number? Where does he live?" I hadn't bothered to find out any of that stuff and I asked the person why they wanted to know. "That's a Scientology religious artifact and he's not allowed to have it."
“Think wrongly if you please, but in all cases think for yourself.”
Doris Lessing

Demented LRH

Post by Demented LRH » Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:33 pm

DoubtingMark wrote:I can verify that the E-meter can be fooled by changing your grip on the cans. I recently had a Scientologist give me a demonstration with an E-Meter, and I did just that. My father was a Scientologist in the 1970's, and I remember playing with an older version of the E-Meter as a kid, and making the needle move around by gripping tightly or relaxing the grip.

If an 8 year old kid can fool it, I can't imagine that it's a very useful tool for anything.
Welcome to the board, DoubtingMark!

I wish my ESMB opponents could see your post -- an 8-year-old new the e-meter defects, while the grown-up idiots think that this is a valuable device.
L. Ron Hubbard

SeeYaBye

Post by SeeYaBye » Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:37 pm

Wieber wrote:In Scientology the e-meter is regarded as a holy artifact.
I saw one of these once.
The org had a booth at a psychic fair and sent me over as part of a divisional all hands. One of the people with a booth had an e-meter like this one. All of the all hands people were very interested in it and the guy who had it was very interested in what we had to say to him.

Later on when I told a staff member in the guardian's office about it they got all edgy and went into interrogation mode. "What was his name? What was his phone number? Where does he live?" I hadn't bothered to find out any of that stuff and I asked the person why they wanted to know. "That's a Scientology religious artifact and he's not allowed to have it."
Not allowed to have it? That's interesting, since there are 10 e-meters currently for sale on ebay. Apparently the highest bidder can own one in this day and age. :lol: The cheapest is a new Mark VII with a starting price of $600. Oh, and that old one from the 50's is also available on ebay, if you want to spend around $8000 for it: http://www.ebay.com/itm/HISTORIC-HUBBAR ... 3383f250b8
"The truth is the kindest thing we can give folks in the end." - Harriet Beecher Stowe

Demented LRH

Post by Demented LRH » Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:41 pm

The damn device could also be used to deceive unsuspecting Scientologists.

Mr. Z was 82 when he decided that he needs Dianetics auditing, his decision was based on book1. Prior to reading the stupid book Mr. Z got in a car accident. His recovery was not full – he had been having blurry vision for 2 years. He took an introductory course in Dianetcs and was waiting for his first auditing session when I met him.

Mr. Z and I spent 30 minutes together before the auditing session. He told me everything about the accident; he seemed fine and was not experiencing any discomfort while we were talking.

The auditor approached Mr. Z and asked him if it would be OK to have a Dianetics session in front of gathering of new Scientology recruits. Mr. Z agreed.

Mr. Z picked up the cans and the session begun; his first sentence was, “I had a car accident”. Right after those words he cringed in pain. It seemed rather strange to me – when we were discussing the accident, he was not experiencing any pain. As the session went on, the pain intensified.

Finally the session was over, the auditor left the room in disappointment – the Scientology recruits thought that this was some kind of hypnosis.

I walked up to Mr. Z and asked him what he was told before the session. “They said that as soon as they activate the e-meter and I start talking about the accident, I will be feeling pain”, he said.

At that time I didn’t know how to explain the strange auditing session. But I know the explanation now – in laymen terms, Mr. Z was feeling pain because he was expecting it. The e-meter activation was the moment after which the pain kicked in because he believed so.

Similarly, during the auditing session a hard-core Scientologist believes that certain things such as physical pain, frustration, happiness, etc., are happening to him because he was told that the e-meter will be registering them. But this is just a bullshit self-fulfilling prophesy.
L. Ron Hubbard

Demented LRH

Post by Demented LRH » Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:17 pm

E-meter is used to verify that the body thetans give correct answers to the questions posed during OT auditing, that is why it is called “religious artifact”.

When I was a Scientologist, I didn’t know that the e-meter is used during OT sessions, the whole idea to use the device to “communicate” with the spirits is so ridiculous that it never crossed my mind. But I know now that the e-meter is used to convince poor OT folk that the “ spirit communication” idea is scientifically solid.

E-meter is used to verify the existence of nonexistent engrams and spirits, which makes it a ludicrous device.
L. Ron Hubbard

Demented LRH

Post by Demented LRH » Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:34 pm

I was taking a Bridge class at ASHO Foundation when came an announcement -- Lo and behold, we have an SP Amnesty! Myself and several students were asked to help the staff by calling on the phone the SP’s who were “waiting impatiently” for the amnesty. Turned out, none of them was happy to hear from us, they thought that the SP declare was unjust, and didn’t want to return to the church.

When I was in Sea Org, I asked my senior what kind of a public Scientologist would be declared an SP. “The kind that bad-mouth LRH or CoS to the media”, she said. That seemed strange because the ex-Scientologists whom I called to declare the amnesty were very upset about being labeled an SP. I didn’t think that people who gave negative interviews about Scientology would be upset about being called an SP, but said nothing to my senior.

After I left Sea Org I begun attending Scientology seminars at Big Blue. Year after the first amnesty the person who was conducting seminars asked me to tell several SPs that they were forgiven -- that was the second amnesty that I observed (of course, there were more than two amnesties, but I didn’t witness them).

This time I decided to find out what did these people do to deserve an SP declare. One of them lived across the street from Big Blue, the other one -- couple of blocks away from the Celebrity Center. Rather than talking to them on the phone I decided to visit them.

The stories of my SPs were remarkably similar -- it was discovered during regular auditing sessions that they had withholds, although they denied it. Further auditing revealed that they had enough withholds to declare them an SP. When they talked to me, they both were adamant that they didn’t have withholds. They both asked me the same question, “Why did this happen to me?” I gave them the same answer, “Because the e-meter is a piece of shit, it gives incorrect readings all the time. Oh, by the way, I audit my preclears without the e-meter the way LRH was doing in 1950s”. They liked what they heard from me, although they didn’t have a desire to return to CoS.

Quite possible, same thing happened to Shelly Miscavige -- an auditing session revealed that she had withholds, which is a reason good enough to send a high-ranking Scientologist to RPF’s RPF.

All this shit happens because the e-meter is a defective device with random readings.
L. Ron Hubbard

Demented LRH

Post by Demented LRH » Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:25 pm

It may seem strange that the Scientologists do not realize how flawed the e-meter is, but let me ask this question – how many Scientologists have a degree in electrical engineering? Practically zero!

I don’t have BS in Electrical Engineering. But when I was in the high school, my summer job was to sell electric equipment to manufacturing companies (mostly I was selling ohmmeters, ammeters, oscilloscopes and rheostats). In order to impress potential buyers with my knowledge of electric measurement devices I studied their schematics and even passed an electronic technician test.

When I saw a block-scheme of the e-meter in an HCOB, it didn’t take me too much time to figure out how it works and what flaws it might have.
I felt sorry for the staff and public Scientologists who had no idea how idiotic the device was. But I didn’t want complications, so I kept my knowledge to myself and very seldom shared it with someone.
L. Ron Hubbard

Return to “Opinions & Debate”