How I Fooled the E-meter.

A place to post and debate the Church of Scientology.
Demented Founder

Re: How I Fooled the E-meter.

Post by Demented Founder » Mon Dec 07, 2015 6:12 pm

The oscillators used in radio broadcast circuits are very complicated, it would be very hard to incorporate them into the e-meter circuit.

Luckily for the e-meter inventors, the most simple oscillator consists of a battery, inductor, capacitor and resistor connected in series.
"Cuando el pene de Xenu es adentro de mi culo, estoy inmenso feliz. Eso es manera de que Saentologia funciona. Voy a chingar todos mis aprentizes"
L. Ron Hubbard, Mi Vida Secreta.

Demented Founder

Post by Demented Founder » Thu Dec 10, 2015 2:34 pm

With an active oscillator, the needle will be floating no matter what the readings are, which is no good -- if a person is "lying" the needle should stop. Therefore the cans must send an electric signal to the main circuit when a person puts pressure on them (see the beginning of the thread); this signal will deactivate the oscillator.

The only way to produce such signal is to embed piezoelectric materials into the cans.

Note: When squeezed, a piezoelectric element produces electric current.
"Cuando el pene de Xenu es adentro de mi culo, estoy inmenso feliz. Eso es manera de que Saentologia funciona. Voy a chingar todos mis aprentizes"

Demented Founder

Post by Demented Founder » Sun Dec 13, 2015 8:59 pm

Arturo has completed Level I course and shortly after that got so disappointed in Scientology that he left the cult (he learned that LRH was married three times, and his son committed suicide and a lot of other bad things about the Source).

Before leaving Big Blue Arturo stole his course supervisor's e-meter. He didn't need this "piece of shit", but he wanted to take a close look at the e-meter circuitry. You see, Arturo had MS in Electrical Engineering, and he was designing amplifiers, oscillators, etc.

As Arturo discovered, the e-meter components didn't have markings. But without the markings it is impossible to tell resistors from capacitors, capacitors from inductors, etc.

Demented Founder

Post by Demented Founder » Wed Dec 16, 2015 7:16 pm

"A tiny flow of electric energy is seen flowing out of the battery, along the wire, through the switch, through the light bulb, down the wire and back..."
L. Ron Hubbard, Understanding the E-meter

This is not a flow of energy. This is a flow of elementary particles called electrons.

Demented Founder

Post by Demented Founder » Sat Dec 19, 2015 8:54 pm

I found shematics of the e-meter designed by Matison.

The Matison device was built in 1930s, it has vacuum tubes instead of modern transistors. There are 4 vacuum tubes, they form an amplifier which amplifies very weak currents.

There is a huge problem with the vacuum tubes -- they produce unsteady electric currents, which greatly complicates the measurement process.

Suppose, you want to measure a very small current running between two terminals of an electric circuit. You have no choice but to use a measuring device having amplifiers. In order to have valuable current readings, you must measure the current several times (statistically speaking, 100 measurements give almost perfect picture of current values). Once the measurements are complete, add the current values and divide the resulting number by 100 (this is an arithmetic average).

But this is not how the crappy Matison device works -- it gives a continious stream of readings due to the unsteady current (these readings are called "noise"), and they have nothing to do with the purported changes in the body's electrical resistance.

Demented Founder

Post by Demented Founder » Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:01 pm

https://www.cs.cmu.edu/~dst/E-Meter/hubbard-patent.html

I found schematics of the e-meter "invented" by Hubbard (LRH submitted patent application in 1966)

The Hubbard e-meter has transistors working as amplifiers, which is a good thing because they produce steady electric currents if, in fact, they are used to amplify current.

I am not an electrical engineer, although I have some knowledge of electronics devices; none of the oscillators I can identify are used in the Hubbard device. However, when I read the description of the e-meter components and their functionality, I found out that it converts DC into AC.

DC is normally used to measure electrical resistance. Presence of AC in the e-meter circuit clearly indicated that, as a whole, the circuit is an oscillator.

The Hubbard device has a switch, although a piezoelectric element is not connected to it. But a slight variation of the circuitry makes such connection possible.

Demented Founder

Post by Demented Founder » Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:54 pm

With the body of a subject connected to the electrodes A and B, and the range control R5 adjusted for balance, a fall in the resistance of subject's body will cause the base current of transistor TR1 to change in a negative direction. This increases the current in R7 so that the base of TR2 is also carried negative. This, in turn, makes the emitter of TR3 more positive. The collector current of TR3 then increases and thereby increases the deflection of the meter pointer. If, on the other hand, the body resistance of the subject increases, the base current of TR1 will change in a positive direction and there will be a consequential reduction in the deflection of the meter pointer."
Hubbard patent application

The term "negative direction" means that the current has changed its direction thus becoming AC

Demented Founder

Post by Demented Founder » Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:56 pm

In general, there are two types of amplifiers: AC amplifiers and DC amplifiers, They do what their name suggests -- they amplify the electric signals, and do nothing else. But using and amplifier as an oscillator is an extremely bad idea because it is not designed for this job.

Demented Founder

Post by Demented Founder » Sat Jan 30, 2016 4:59 pm

My friend Alps has MS in Electrical Engineering, and works as a RF (radio frequency )designer. I had shown them schematics if the Hubbard e-meter.

"This circuit cannot work as an amplifier because of the weird connection" said Alps, and pointed out to that connection.

"Ca it work as an oscillator?" I said. "It can, but it is a very unsophisticated oscillator, it cannot be used in RF circuits", said Alps.

"Where is could be used?" I said. "in control circuits maybe, but not as a part of a control system. It could be used as a generator of a reference signal only", said Alps.

Demented Founder

Post by Demented Founder » Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:46 pm

Alps has a very sophisticated software that allows him to do electric circuit simulations; he used it to see how the e-meter circuit works.

Since the patent doesn't provide any data about the circuit elements' characteristics, Alps had to choose various parameters by himself.

Some combinations of parameters produced decent sinusoid-looking current outputs, while the others produced garbage.

"when the parameters are properly chosen, the circuit works as an oscillator, it cannot do what Hubbard claimed it does," said Alps.

Demented Founder

Post by Demented Founder » Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:13 pm

I shared with Alps my “piezoelectricity theory”. “Yes, they can use piezoelectric elements, but I do not think they do – those elements are very expensive. There is a much cheaper way to achieve the same results. Do you know what the rheostat is?” said Alps.

“Of course I do – I used to sell rheostats,” I said.

“When you squeeze the cans, the rheostat pointer moves shortening the current path, which leads to increase in the current value because the electric resistance drops. The increased current turns the switch off, the circuit becomes open, and the needle stops its movement. By the way, are those cans heavy?” said Alps.

“they are surprisingly heavy, I thought they are much lighter. But when I picked them up for the first time, I felt that they are quite heavy,” I said

“They are heavy because they have rheostats built into them,” said Alps.

Demented Founder

Post by Demented Founder » Wed Feb 17, 2016 7:22 pm

"Let's add rheostats to our simulations." I said "Agreed," said Alps.

Alps' simulations have shown that it is possible to choose the rheostat parameters in such way that the switch gets activated causing the needle to stop its motion.

"What do you think, why the rheostats are not included in the patent application?" I said

"This is a know-how. Apparently, Hubbard wanted to beat the competition. I think that he was planning to sell e-meters not only to Scientologists but to psychologists as well. " said Alps.

Demented Founder

Post by Demented Founder » Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:49 pm

I told Alps about OCMB and said that a board member knew a person who could repair e-meters.

"THe way the circuits are built today it is practically impossible to replace defective transistors and capacitors. What possibly that guy could repair?" I said.

"You are right about the electronics components. But e-meters also have mechanical components such as switches and mecjanical parts of rheostats. A good handyman can repair those components," said Alps.

Wieber

Post by Wieber » Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:15 pm

Back in the day, the e-meter was a wooden box with a Plexiglas top held on to the box with four screws. The e-meter is considered to be a sacred religious artifact. (If you believe that I have some land I want to sell you.) Opening it up to look at the insides was looked on as a kind of blasphemy. However, we had a guy taking coursed - not a staff member - who was an electronic repair person. He could fix radios, televisions, toasters, all those things. He opened up the e-meter and then developed a small business repairing them for the local auditors. They justified this as the greatest good for the greatest number of dynamics because this guy could repair an e-meter and have it back in operation in a day or three, as compared to sending it to AOLA in Los Angeles or wherever Scientology had their sacred e-meter repair operation. The second option could keep that e-meter out of use for a month or two.
“Think wrongly if you please, but in all cases think for yourself.”
Doris Lessing

Demented Founder

Post by Demented Founder » Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:57 pm

I told Alps that my friend was sent to RPF because the e-meter session demonstrated that she "had evil intention to harm the Church". Two days passed by, she got another sec check, and was released from RPF because it became clear that the first e-meter used to audit her was malfunctioning.

"What could cause the malfunction?" I said.

"It was the defective switch that got stuck in the ON position. In this case the needle won't be moving under any circumstances. The e-meter operator must be extremely stupid not to notice this abnormal behavior. Well, they all are stupid because they trust the e-meter." said Alps.

Return to “Opinions & Debate”