How I Fooled the E-meter.

A place to post and debate the Church of Scientology.
Demented Founder

Re: How I Fooled the E-meter.

Post by Demented Founder » Mon Mar 07, 2016 2:51 pm

Sometimes the e-meter needle slams against the casing producing so-called rock slamming readings (I have never seen this phenomenon). The rock slamming is interpreted as PC's evil intention to harm Scientology.

I asked Alps what could produce such effect.

"The battery voltage is supposed to be constant. But there are complex chemical processes inside the battery, sometimes they accelerate and produce spikes in voltage which, in turn, leads to the increase in a current. This is the cause of rock slamming. Normally, a device has current limiters to protect it from sharp increase in current. But the e-meter doesn't have current limiters, so it is vulnerable to current spikes," said Alps.
"Cuando el pene de Xenu es adentro de mi culo, estoy inmenso feliz. Eso es manera de que Saentologia funciona. Voy a chingar todos mis aprentizes"
L. Ron Hubbard, Mi Vida Secreta.

Demented Founder

Post by Demented Founder » Mon Mar 14, 2016 1:43 pm

According to a Wikipedia article, the Hubbard e-meter was re-patented several times.; I asked Alps about that.

"You cannot re-patent a device. But you can make a couple of changes in its schemata and receive a new patent," said Alps.

"This is great marketing tool. You can say to the Scientologists that the new model is much better than the old one," I said
"Cuando el pene de Xenu es adentro de mi culo, estoy inmenso feliz. Eso es manera de que Saentologia funciona. Voy a chingar todos mis aprentizes"

Demented Founder

Post by Demented Founder » Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:38 pm

E-meters are produced by Cruising Equipment Co; its main product is boating equipment.

"Back in the old days CoS were assembling and repairing the e-meters. Now it is all about the warranty," I said.

"Yes, The warranty on an electronics device usually lasts for a year, after that you're on your own. You have to buy a new e-meter to replace the broken one," said Alps

"Is it possible to sabotage the e-meter in such way that it breaks, say, after 18 months?" I said

"It is difficult but not impossible. If you know how to rig the switch solenoid, you're in business," said Alps.

Demented Founder

Post by Demented Founder » Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:40 pm

"I'm sure that all types of oscillators are known; I do not think that Scientology engineers invented a new one. So, how did they get a patent?" I said.

Alps said, " Everything depends on the category. They cannot get a patent in the oscillator category. But they can parent their device in another category; in their case that would be the e-meter category, which is very small, it has only 7 patents. The Hubbard e-meter is different from its competitors, this is how he got a patent>"

Demented Founder

Post by Demented Founder » Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:26 pm

"I do not understand why CoS do not use the lie detector. I mean, they could use the e-meter for Dianetics, and the lie detector for security checks -- it is more reliable than the e-meter, " said Alps.

"Hubbard didn't approve the lie detector, that's why. But this might change in a future -- current head of the church had already violated several Hubbard directives," I said.

Demented Founder

Post by Demented Founder » Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:09 pm

Scientologist are not allowed to look inside their e-meters.

"I wonder what a person who is not an electrical engineer can find there," I said.

"She might have friends who are electrical engineers. Also, in some religions people are not allowed to open their artifacts because this is a sacrilege," said Alps.

"American Indians have so- called holy grounds where they are not allowed to take a shit;" I said.

"I wonder if Scientologists are allowed to fart in the presence of the e-meter," said Alps.

Demented Founder

Post by Demented Founder » Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:00 pm

"E-meter" is a Scientology trademark. I asked Alps what kind of advantage does it give to CoS

"This is not a patent, so there is no advantage. The cult competitors can use very similar trademarks such as "el-meter" , "c-meter", etc with impunity", said Alps.

"You're right. One of the Scientology splinter groups use the c-meter," I said.

Demented Founder

Post by Demented Founder » Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:28 pm

The e-meter instructions state that the measurements of its battery can determine how much of its useful life is left at any time.

"Nut this is technologically impossible, why would they claim that?" I said.

"Technologically this is impossible. But, on average, it is known how long does it take for the battery to run out. They use simple calculations done by the e-meter software to make predictions regarding the battery discharge," said Alps.

Demented Founder

Post by Demented Founder » Mon May 02, 2016 1:42 pm

"Let's say that a splinter Scientology group begins making copies of the current e-meter. The cult might sue them for the patent infringement. But they could argue that the oscillator prototype patent expired long time ago. You know the law beyyer than I do. What do you think?" said Alps.

"This is a very interesting observation. A splinter group could say that they are producing oscillators whose patent expired long time ago., and there is nothing CoS can do about it. But a splinter group would have to admit that the e-meter is not the ohmmeter, but the oscillator, and I doubt they would do that," I said.

Demented Founder

Post by Demented Founder » Mon May 09, 2016 1:34 pm

"Two devices of a same kind are not exactly the same, their readings could differ due to transistor differences. The differences are small, but in a case of the e-meter it could be a difference between a floating needle and a needle that doesn't float," I said.

"You are right. The interpretation of the needle movement is completely arbitrary. I feel sorry for the poor Scientologists who have no knowledge of electrical engineering," said Alps.

Demented Founder

Post by Demented Founder » Wed May 18, 2016 3:45 pm

"What kind of device could be used to measure body resistance?" I said.

Alps replied, "It depends on the objective. If you want an average resistance, a regular ohmmeter would do. But if you want to measure minute changes in the resistance, you have to use a more precise device, the kind that Hubbard didn't have.
Such devices are used in plasma physics, and, frankly, I do not know much about them. I know that they are very expensive, but that's all I know.

I said, "I know about the plasma physics measurements. I thought there might be other types of devices that serve the purpose but, apparently, there is none."

Demented Founder

Post by Demented Founder » Mon May 23, 2016 2:18 pm

"Can you estimate production cost of the e-meter?" I said.

"A Plane Jane e-meter would cost between $50 and 80. But they added useless software to it along with PLC (programmable logic controller), so its production cost went up to approximately $500," said Alps.

"They used to sell Plane Jane e-meters for about $2000 apiece. I do not know how much the new model costs," I said.

"The one on e-Bay costs $10,000," said Alps. "This is, probably, an inflated price," I said.

"The only way to find out the price is to go to a Scientology store," said Alps.

"I'm not sure if they sell e-meters to general public. Perhaps, you need some kind of written permission from a course supervisor," I said.

Demented Founder

Post by Demented Founder » Tue May 31, 2016 1:52 pm

"I am a mainstream Jew, we do not believe in spirits, good and evil. But if I were a believer in spirits, I wouldn't be using the e-meter, I would be using other, more precise devices, " said Alps. "What kind of devices you're talking about?" I said.

"They are used by ghostbasters who believe that a ghost leaves electromagnetic signature. No, I'm not talking about the movie, I am talking about devices that can detect small atmospheric electric discharges. The idiots believed that these discharges are produced by the ghosts," said Alps.

I said, " I heard that in 2014 Scientologists used such devices to prove to the outsiders that their place, called Gold Base, was under the thetan/spirit attack."

"What kind of attack was that?" said Alps. "The thetans were jamming telepathic OT communications, " I said.

Demented Founder

Post by Demented Founder » Mon Jun 06, 2016 4:29 pm

I think I should clarify where the data about a thetan attack comes from.

It comes from Today (NBC) anchors, Savannah and Matt. According to a CoS spokesperson, extremely confused spirits attacked Gold Base. For unknown reason CoS invited outside "experts" to investigate the spirit mischief. However, the experts could not confirm the attack.

But OT folk established telepathic contacts with the confused thetans and convinced them to leave Gold Base.

Demented Founder

Post by Demented Founder » Tue Jun 14, 2016 4:31 pm

Is the e-meter good for anything?" I said.

"Of course, it is. But to make it useful you would have to take it apart. Its PLC could be used to control manufacturing processes, its oscillator could be used as a producer of a reference signal in control systems," said Alps.

"What about its software?" I said.

Alps said, " The useful part of it is the PLC software. The other part is a mystery to me, I do not know where it came from, and how reliable it is."

Return to “Opinions & Debate”