Where to put this?

A place to post and debate the Church of Scientology.
Wieber

Re: Where to put this?

Post by Wieber » Sun May 18, 2014 10:47 pm

I was looking at the flyers in Tony Ortega's Sunday Funnies for May 18, 2014. This flyer, shown below, caught my attention. In the section with the yellow background under the heading, "Ideal New Zealand team!" have a look at the picture of the woman wearing a black cap on the right in the middle section of pictures. Take a good look at the expression on her face.

That's not an expression of joy or euphoria. That's a peer pressure smile that one puts on to fit in.

It is, in fact, a very common facial expression in Scientology, especially when the person thinks no one is observing them. The executive director of the small org I was involved with used to have that expression when they went outside on a smoke break. The International Association of Scientologists (IAS) fund raising agent at an IAS event had that expression.

People involved in Scientology are not up on body language. Hubbard didn't write the book on that. Julius Fast did. That's why pictures like the one I pointed out show up, from time to time, in Scientology's promotional materials.
“Think wrongly if you please, but in all cases think for yourself.”
Doris Lessing

Wieber

Post by Wieber » Sat May 24, 2014 5:01 am

I frequently check on Tony Ortega's Underground Bunker.

I have just been there watching a video put out by the Sydney org. Here's a link to the page with the video.
http://tonyortega.org/2014/05/23/richar ... ab-center/

I could hardly believe my eyes when this popped up near the end of the video.

Are the people involved with Scientology so isolated from the world that they don't know
how much of a risqué double entendre that statement is?
Doris Lessing

Wieber

Post by Wieber » Sun May 25, 2014 5:57 pm

Tony Ortega put this up in his Sunday Funnies. I'm putting it here as fair use.

The image is the Mad Hatter from Alice in Wonderland, bull baiting Alice.

Bull baiting is done on one of Scientology's training routines (TRs). Other such training routines
use phrases from Alice in Wonderland and Alice Through the Looking Glass. For some
reason Scientology doesn't like the phrase that goes, "The rule is, jam tomorrow and jam
yesterday – but never jam to-day."

It wasn't their intention but this particular promotional piece really sums up what Scientology
is all about.

Doris Lessing

Wieber

Post by Wieber » Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:20 pm

I want to critique one of Scientology's videos. This one you will find on Tony Ortega's Underground Bunker.

Here's the link.
http://tonyortega.org/2014/06/05/60-yea ... t-so-much/

The video in question is the second one on that page. The still shows a young woman, and on the video one
of the things I managed to hear her say was that she is a class five auditor.

My criticism of this video is that whoever mixed the audio for it botched their job. I can hardly hear what
the young woman is saying because the music track that plays along is louder than she is.

I started playing the video. The young woman is soft spoken and hard to hear. So I turned up the volume and
was frustrated because she was still hard to hear. She is hard to hear because the music track is too loud.

This is a problem with most videos I see on Youtube and elsewhere on the internet. Most people do not have any
audio training and the emphasis is on visuals. In addition to that good quality audio recording and mixing
equipment is expensive. What comes with camcorders, video cameras, smart phones, tablets, etc. is OK, but
it doesn't match the level of the other technological hardware on the market.

If you are going to establish any kind of worthwhile presence on Youtube and other video channels the audio
portion of your presentations has to be as good, or preferably better, than the visual part. That means going
to a professional supplier and buying good microphones, good cables and at least a low end mixer. After that
there's a learning curve. It's worth the effort. The payoff will be impressive.

I'm going to back this up. The initial producer of 60 Minutes, one of Scientology's favorite TV shows :lol:
made good audio the number one priority for that show. The reasoning was that if the audio was bad, people
would change the channel.

Now, look at all of Scientology's blustering on their media products. They have a big ass microphone as part
of their logo. They have "clearsound TM." They have a recording studio and a music studio. Then one of their
flagship organizations, Ron's Home, the Advanced Org Saint Hill United Kingdom (AOSHUK) puts out a video
with bad audio production quality. How did that one slip past Slappy? Flunk! Flunk! Flunk! Flunk! FLUNK!
Doris Lessing

Demented Source

Post by Demented Source » Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:36 pm

I'mglib wrote:
I have noticed that the people in those three categories tend to have different facial expressions and possibly different body language.

People who have never been in a cult tend to have a neutral facial expression.

Those who are in a cult wear a trance state facial expression. In its extreme expression it looks like an angelic heavenly glow. It is often mistaken as an indication of spiritual enlightenment.

Those who have been in a cult and left have a facial expression that is hard to describe. It seem to be an expression that says they no longer harbor any illusions.
Frankly. I haven't noticed a blank stare

So true, Wieber. I have seen that blank stare many times. What is it? What is going on inside? I almost feel like it's this huge struggle inside the brain, where the person is grappling with what he is really thinking, and what he is supposed to think, and trying to decide by sorting through all this data that has been forced on him for years. Data that sometimes doesn't make sense.

That's just my take.

How's A Piece of Blue Sky coming along? I read it several years ago, and thought it was very informative.
Frankly, I haven’t noticed a blank stare when I was in Sea Org; however, I saw plenty of worried faces which didn’t surprise me at all – the Sea Org members constantly worry about their stats and plenty of other things that could go wrong. Life in Sea Org is very hard, and people who stay there for more than couple of years grow old very fast.
"Xenu is on me. He has been inside me for 75 Million years. Xenu and I are one".
L. Ron Hubbard, Excalibur, pg. 69

""Voy a copular con mi amante, Xenu, en frente del mundo. Que buena idea!"
L. Ron Hubbard, Saentologia 666

Wieber

Post by Wieber » Mon Jun 09, 2014 5:58 pm

I haven't had the experience of being within the sea org. The sea org staff members who were posted to the class 4 org where I was on staff, seemed to be happy there. Many of them got wog jobs. They had a room to themselves or shared with maybe one or two other people, and they got to eat things that weren't rice and beans. In addition to that they went from being sea org underlings to holding senior posts in the org where they were treated as if they were actually elite. Being on staff in a class 4 org is no picnic but as far as I can tell it's way better than being in an advanced org as a sea org staff member.

The class 4 orgs became class 5 orgs later on when Dianetics became classified as grade 5 on the grade chart. Previously grade 5 was power release and only available at advanced orgs.
Doris Lessing

Wieber

Post by Wieber » Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:11 am

I was just looking over this week's Sunday Funnies on Tony Ortega's Underground Bunker.

This Scientology flier that I found there drew my attention. Check it out. The part I'm interested
in is the Questions and Answers section. See you after the image.
Now, here's what gets me. A person gets lured into Scientology by finding what is ruining their life,
their ruin, and then assuring them that Scientology can help with that. This is called the
dissemination drill, or dissem drill because L. Ron Hubbard claims it's efficient to use short forms
for everything. Check out the essay in the back of Orwell's 1984 for a different take on that
practice.

In many instances people get involved with Scientology because they think there is something
ruining their life that Scientology can help them with. This could include shyness, difficulty with
money, working at an unfulfilling job, relationship issues, and the list goes on. Then, after the
person goes through their initial indoctrination and comes out all shiny, euphoric, suggestible and
convinced Scientology is IT, what is ruining their life changes from shyness, difficulty with money,
working at an unfulfilling job, relationship issues, etc. and becomes difficulty disseminating Scientology.

That is just so magical.

By the way, you lurking Scientologist, has your ruin been handled?
Doris Lessing

Demented Source

Post by Demented Source » Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:07 pm

There is more than one reason why people join Scientology; perhaps, some thought that the Tech could compensate their shortcomings, both real and imaginary. However, majority of the Sea Org staff whom I talked to told me that their personal goal was to acquire supernatural powers also known as OT powers. Hubbard mentioned “supernatural powers” in his book, A History of Man, these powers include ability to exteriorize, telepathy and telekinesis. The idiots thought that these magic powers are within their reach. Dream on, my OSA friends, dream on!
"Xenu is on me. He has been inside me for 75 Million years. Xenu and I are one".
L. Ron Hubbard, Excalibur, pg. 69

""Voy a copular con mi amante, Xenu, en frente del mundo. Que buena idea!"
L. Ron Hubbard, Saentologia 666

Wieber

Post by Wieber » Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:50 am

http://www.dilbert.com/2014-06-19/
Dilbert is an amazing comic strip. I highly recommend it.
Doris Lessing

Wieber

Post by Wieber » Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:26 pm

I feel compelled to share this here, because some people who come to this section of the Bake may not
check out Tony Ortega's Bunker.

This is Marc Headley, photobombing the Las Vegas Ideal Celebrity Centre.
Photobomb: An otherwise normal photo that has been ruined or spoiled by someone who was not
supposed to be in the photograph.
Urban Dictionary, definition 2.
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.p ... =photobomb

I think it's hilarious how Marc, considered to be a really big suppressive person (SP) by the Scientology
organization can walk into just about any Scientology org and get his picture taken there.

For more on this here's the link.
http://tonyortega.org/2014/06/23/marc-h ... defection/
Doris Lessing

Wieber

Post by Wieber » Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:08 am

I have this little thing for people who have left Scientology.

It's the little dancing man from the smileys that are available on this message board
accompanied with "Woot!" in huge bold text underneath.

Aside from being celebratory for a person who is now taking their life back this little
symbol is a "button" for those who are still involved with Scientology, especially those
people involved with Scientology's office of special affairs who monitor this web site.
Every time I post the little dancing man it means Scientology has lost a person. That
person will no longer be contributing money or labor to Scientology. That person is
more than likely to be publicly critical of Scientology, at the very least on a personal
level with friends and acquaintances. In addition to the celebratory nature of the
dancing man, it says to Scientology, "You lose."
Doris Lessing

Wieber

Post by Wieber » Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:10 pm

Doris Lessing

i-Betty

Post by i-Betty » Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:43 pm

Heehee.

PS. I got 90% correct, more by luck than judgement.

Wieber

Post by Wieber » Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:07 pm

A parody of a line from I Fought the Law:

I bought the lie and the lie won.
Doris Lessing

Nom de Plume

Post by Nom de Plume » Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:19 pm

Demented Source wrote:There is more than one reason why people join Scientology; perhaps, some thought that the Tech could compensate their shortcomings, both real and imaginary. However, majority of the Sea Org staff whom I talked to told me that their personal goal was to acquire supernatural powers also known as OT powers. Hubbard mentioned “supernatural powers” in his book, A History of Man, these powers include ability to exteriorize, telepathy and telekinesis. The idiots thought that these magic powers are within their reach. Dream on, my OSA friends, dream on!
I agree that "There is more than one reason why people join Scientology".

Most of the people I knew were hot to change the world; to make it a better place; to help people to have better lives, to uplift mankind into a glorious renaissance.

Certainly most of the Staff members I knew were like that.

For myself, believe it or not, it never occurred to me to want auditing. I was too fascinated with all the courses; with all the answers I felt I was getting, at long last, to questions which had plagued me since I was a teenager. After a year of this, someone finally said, "When are you going to get some auditing?" and the question stunned me - it had never even occurred to me! :lol:

Did I want "sooper powerz"? Sure. Why not? Who wouldn't?

I wanted to get as good as I could get, and then go off and somehow work with American Indians (to whom I felt a great "kinship" for some reason) to help them overcome the decay, degradation, drug and alcohol problems, and general fatalism which exists so prevalently on their reservations.

I so wanted to help. And that was going to be "my little corner of the world" to improve.

Perhaps, as your posting made me stop and think, some of the "OTs" I observed at the time were in it mostly to gain an edge in their pursuit of wealth and social prestige. I don't know.

Did I believe at one time that "we" could change the world?

You bet!

And I worked my butt off trying.

No regrets.

Only sadness that it's not going to happen that way after all.
"It is much easier to fool someone than to convince them that they have been fooled." ~ Mark Twain

Return to “Opinions & Debate”