Getting the Word out on RPF

A place to post and debate the Church of Scientology.
Wieber

Getting the Word out on RPF

Postby Wieber » Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:19 pm

RPF = Rehabilitation Project Force

For the purpose of this thread I am going to assume that you already know all about the RPF. If you don't know about it you can Google it and read about it. I expect that as this thread develops you will find references.

What I want to happen in this thread is a discussion of the problems in making known what the RPF is and what happens in the RPF. I'm going to start with my ideas. Then I would like others to put their ideas on this in this thread.

As this thread progresses I am hoping that it will evolve the means to make the RPF very well and widely known.

I'll start with what I see as problems with getting the word out on this. I'm just going to list them.

1. TL;DR - The written materials on this are long. This includes the flag orders (FOs) on the subject as well as the reports, affidavits, stories and essays on the subject.

2. Lack of visual material. There is very little in the way of photographs or other visual references to what has gone on and what goes on in the RPF.

3. People do not want to know. Finding out about the RPF and what goes on there disrupts people's comfort level. They will change the subject or block it out. This tendency also makes them receptive to scientology's public relations line on this.

4. RPF is remote. What goes on in the RPF happens over there. It is effectively out of sight - out of mind.

5. "RPF doesn't affect me." Since only members of the sea organization (sea org) can be put in the RPF, even people who know about it do not feel threatened by it.

6. There is no moral outrage.

I may have missed the mark in some points. I may have omitted something important. Please, feel free to expand on what is in the above list or add to it.

Here are some things that might be done to overcome some of the problems in getting the word out. Again, I'll list them.

1. A 10 to 12 item bullet point precis of the flag orders on the RPF.

2. A 10 to 12 item bullet point precis of Stephen A. Kent's Brainwashing in Scientology's Rehabilitation Project Force (RPF).
http://www.lermanet.com/scientology/gul ... tForce.htm
http://www.solitarytrees.net/pubs/skent/brain.htm

3. Photographs of the RPF collected into one place.

4. Drawings and paintings of the RPF from those who have been in it. Due to the nature of the RPF there isn't much in the way of photographic records about it. Drawings and paintings by those who were in would go a long way to rapidly communicating about what goes on in the RPF. These do not have to go beyond crude to be effective.

5. Collection of the stories of those who have been in the RPF. There are many stories about what happened to people in the RPF. They are all over the place. They need to be collected into one place or a list of references to them needs to be compiled.

6. A summary phrase about the RPF needs to be written. This would be one sentence about the RPF that can be put on picket signs, put into headlines, chanted, sung, whatever. It may take several attempts to come up with THE phrase, and I think there are people working on this.

There you have a small plan for making the rehabilitation project force better known and more widely known.

Now I have to apologize. I do not have the energy, the stamina, the resources, the skills or the wherewithal to carry out such a plan or shepherd others into making it happen. In addition to that what I have just presented here may be flawed.

I am hoping that there are people here who have what it takes to pull this off and that they will do it.
“Think wrongly if you please, but in all cases think for yourself.”
Doris Lessing

Dorothy

Postby Dorothy » Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:32 pm

You are right on about this, Weiber. The subject of the RPF deserves to have its own website complete with all links to pertinent caches of information, a visual section for photos and drawings, as you say, and a section where people can post their personal stories about it, etc.
“The sad truth is that most evil is done by people who never make up their minds to be good or evil.”
― Hannah Arendt

RedPill

RPF

Postby RedPill » Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:06 pm

I will kick around ideas for a song parody for the RPF thing, perhaps a few.

In the meantime, I suggested on the picket theme thread going with loose fitting, pajama like striped prison clothes for the next picket, perhaps with some costume paper mache chains, so we can all be chained together as part of the deal. Orange jump suits might work also. The idea is to attract attention from passer-bys, and hand out flyers as to why we are dressed like this and what we are protesting.

It could be a means of beating the summer heat (no anon suits and ties) as well as some fun costuming/drama for the protest.

Pete

whatntha

Postby whatntha » Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:07 pm

Thank you Wieber. It would be great if Andreas could provide an RPF section. I think there would be some moral outrage if the public had more information. Like Wieber said, there are no pictures of the RPF. But there are people out there that would be willing to post their stories. One of the posters here told me about my friend’s stint in the RPF. And his wife died of cancer while he was in the RPF. This is something he never told me about because he would never criticize $cientology and he would even lie about it to cover it up because “his senior concern is that no one trashes scientology.” I think the public would be outraged if they knew about the RPF and that Cruise and Travolta knew about it and did nothing about it.

Ladybird

Postby Ladybird » Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:23 pm

These accounts give a great deal of detail on day to day life in the PAC RPF:

http://www.lermanet.com/rpf-insider/

http://www.xenu-directory.net/critics/r ... ider1.html

Tilman Hausher posted some pictures of the Flag RPF:

http://home.snafu.de/tilman/clearwater1998/rpf.epf.html

Here is the german TV show "Missing in Happy Valley" about the trip to find Weibke Hansen who was on the INT base RPF:

http://www.xenutv.com/int/happyvalley.htm
"There is nothing as wild in the books of Man as will probably happen here on Earth...it will happen and be allowed to happen simply because all this is so incredible that nobody will even think of stopping it until it is far, far too late"~LRH

Don Carlo

Postby Don Carlo » Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:55 pm

People ask, "Why don't they quit?" so we need a short, simple answer. Always, the trouble with convincing those outside the CoS and critic community is the supposed "freedom" of the members, staff, Sea Org and RPF inmates. Ordinary people don't understand mind control, learned helplessness, coercion, threats of family disconnection, illegal billion-year contracts, and genuine fear that other Scientologists can read minds or "kill with a thought."

Little Bear Victor

Why don't they quit

Postby Little Bear Victor » Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:59 pm

As a brief answer to "why don't they quit?" Most do, sooner or later. The graduation rate of the PAC RPF is around 15%, the remaining 85% quitting either fast, or after they have gone into total apathy having been there for 5, 6, 7 years or more. And the PAC RPF is the most successful of the RPFs in the world!

On the PAC RPF, for instance, there have been 115 ex-Int Base staff that have been offloaded in the last 4-or-so years. Since about 50% of the PAC RPF are ex-Int, this means that about 230 people have quit the PAC RPF in the last 4 or 5 years. During the same time about 40 have graduated.

The psychology of why people don't quit is complex and is rooted in how firm the person's belief in LRH and Scientology is. In the case of a Sea Org member who has signed a billion-year contract to serve LRH and the Sea Org, you can be certain the belief is deep -- very, very deep.

What it takes to "break" that faith is often quite extreme. That most of your human rights are taken away on the RPF is not necessarily enough to do it. I believe it is something on a very personal level in the end that makes the person realize there is nothing to be gained in Scientology, not for him and not for anyone else. Exactly what brings about that realization -- or whether it ever comes -- depends on the person.

Some go all the way and graduate. Personally, I cannot even think of a way to get a critical idea through to a person who has gone through 7 years on the RPF and somehow considers that it was a beneficial thing. It is beyond my capacity to envision the resulting mental state from such an experience. Undoubtedly, the actual EP for an RPF graduate is: Total, unquestioning obedience.
A short history of the Church of David Miscavige: From the fastest growing religion in the world to the fastest shrinking cult in the world in less than 20 years.

number 6

Postby number 6 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:27 pm

Thanks for the pics of RPFers working on God-knows-what. Slave labor at it's finest. No wonder Scientology is worth billions of dollars.

Wieber

Postby Wieber » Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:08 am

He gazed up at the enormous face. Forty years it had taken him to learn what kind of smile was hidden beneath the dark moustache. O cruel, needless misunderstanding! O stubborn, self-willed exile from the loving breast! Two gin-scented tears trickled down the sides of his nose. But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Big Brother.

George Orwell, 1984
“Think wrongly if you please, but in all cases think for yourself.”
Doris Lessing

whatntha

Postby whatntha » Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:15 am

Some of these people look very tired, some don't look well at all. I pm'd Andreas and asked him for an RPF section so that these pictures can be posted there and so ex scientologists can post their experiences. I think its really important that lurkers and people coming to this site find out about the Rehabilitation Project Force. Maybe the media will pick up on it. News of the RPF needs to get out.

From this thread:
http://home.snafu.de/tilman/clearwater1998/rpf.epf.html

songbird

Postby songbird » Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:03 am

Little Bear Victor wrote:Undoubtedly, the actual EP for an RPF graduate is: Total, unquestioning obedience.

For the moment. Because the sense of self has been so massively assaulted and the cognitive dissonance pushed down so deep.
But does a tiny spark survive? I say yes. And so there's hope for them.

ZenuEtrawl

Re: Getting the Word out on RPF

Postby ZenuEtrawl » Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:19 am

Wieber wrote:2. Lack of visual material. There is very little in the way of photographs or other visual references to what has gone on and what goes on in the RPF.

I think that the pic I saw recently (alas, I forget where to find it) of the palm tree that replaced the pole is very powerful, once you know what it's about. It's hard to think of that as anything more than a site for torture.

Little Bear Victor

Re: Getting the Word out on RPF

Postby Little Bear Victor » Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:25 am

ZenuEtrawl wrote:
Wieber wrote:2. Lack of visual material. There is very little in the way of photographs or other visual references to what has gone on and what goes on in the RPF.

I think that the pic I saw recently (alas, I forget where to find it) of the palm tree that replaced the pole is very powerful, once you know what it's about. It's hard to think of that as anything more than a site for torture.

Yes, except that it is not part of the RPF program. It is used in the "running program" (or "Cause Resurgence Rundown"), and is more related to Superpower. The new Superpower building has a whole floor dedicated to it, with a running track and a pole.

In the Superpower building the pole is supposed to have white spheres attached to it which rotate around the pole at the same speed as the runners circle around it. That's the theory -- I don't know how it is supposed to work in practice, since the running speed increases as you "progress" on the program and there would a number of runners there at the same time, since you run 5-12 hours at a time.

(BTW, shin splits are a frequent issue that cause the program to be aborted.)

The running program is a kind of a metaphor for Scientology: running around in circles going nowhere.
Last edited by Little Bear Victor on Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
A short history of the Church of David Miscavige: From the fastest growing religion in the world to the fastest shrinking cult in the world in less than 20 years.

'Alert'

Postby 'Alert' » Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:34 am

I do believe the report "Missing in Happy Valley"is required in this thread.

A documentary about Scientology's Rehabilitation Project Force (the RPF) from producers Peter Reichelt and Ina Brockmann. The RPF is a prison and labor camp of Scientology
"If anyone talks about a "road to Freedom" he is talking about a linear line. This, then, must have boundaries. If there are boundaries there is no freedom." - Dianetics 55

Bea Kiddo

Postby Bea Kiddo » Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:00 pm

The Running Program (Running around the tree or pole) may have been connected to the RPF in somes minds because it was originally piloted (tested) in the RPF. I believe it was the late 80's that RPFers were doing the Running Program.

I know of two people who had done it, one of them being my step dad. The other was Paul Laquerre. I am pretty sure there were tons from the RPF who did it from the 80's.

Though I never did it, I was Case Supervising people who had done it and were getting repairs and so forth, so I had to read all the materials of the Rundown, which was available to the RPF C/Ses in the 90's.

I believe all of the materials are no longer in RPF hands. (Because I was on the RPF again later and they were not available).
My story in a nutshell: Born into Scn, raised in the SO. Trained to Class VI (SHSBC) Golden Age of Tech, OT V, Supervisor. Sea Org for 17 years. SP declared.

Return to “Opinions & Debate”