Monique Rathbun v. Church of Scientology, et al.

A place to post and debate the Church of Scientology.
Don Carlo

Re: Monique Rathbun v. David Miscavige, et al.

Post by Don Carlo » Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:19 pm

Radar Online: Tom Cruise Scientology ‘Labor’ Scandal: Ex-Church Members Allege That They Were Ordered To Work For The Star In New Court Files, Dec. 9. 2013, http://radaronline.com/exclusives/2013/ ... urt-files/

This links back to other stories, especially EXCLUSIVE: Secret Emails Reveal Scientology Leader Ordered ‘Slave Labor’ Build A Bus For Tom Cruise, Says Former Member, Feb. 8, 2011, http://radaronline.com/exclusives/2011/ ... om-cruise/

anondelmundial

Post by anondelmundial » Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:52 pm

Radaronline has HUGE readership - 7.5million-9.million per month!!! This one of the best venues for these disclosures (Drudge would be far better, but...). These are footbullets neither Cruise nor Davie will be able to dodge, even if Cruise can tap dance. I can hardly wait for the IRS to use the words "enurement" and "misappropriation of funds". Maybe this will be the publication that the IRS cannot ignore. I am giddy at the thought of Scientology being audited by the IRS. "100 IRS auditors descend on Scientology headquarters".

Wieber

Post by Wieber » Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:26 pm

The Church of Scientology and Cruise have both denied Brousseau’s statements, saying he only “consulted” on the projects.
Nice one. Even if Brousseau's only work was as a consultant the dollar an hour wage and the enurement still obtain. (I used a Hubbardism there. Did you catch it?)
“Think wrongly if you please, but in all cases think for yourself.”
Doris Lessing

anondelmundial

Post by anondelmundial » Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:28 am

Wieber wrote:
The Church of Scientology and Cruise have both denied Brousseau’s statements, saying he only “consulted” on the projects.
Nice one. Even if Brousseau's only work was as a consultant the dollar an hour wage and the enurement still obtain. (I used a Hubbardism there. Did you catch it?)
Davie must not be sleeping at night. The Church and Cruise do not DENY THE CHARGES, but claim that Brousseau only "consulted" on the projects and therefore he cannot be believed. This is where Scientology logic breaks down; Scientology should have denied the existence of the projects and stonewalled, not even mentioning Brousseau.

Davie must be breaking down. He and Scientology are being sniped, attacked in the press, sued, and suffering from membership problems. He must know that he is losing control of his environment.

bubbler

Post by bubbler » Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:22 am

Davey is shiverin' in his timbers.
As our friend Magoo would say:
"tick tock TICK TOCK"

Wieber

Post by Wieber » Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:54 am

bubbler wrote:Davey is shiverin' in his timbers.
As our friend Magoo would say:
"tick tock TICK TOCK"
Let's rub it in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iP6XpLQM2Cs
Doris Lessing

Don Carlo

Post by Don Carlo » Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:02 am

Brousseau's declaration for Monique Rathbun's case perks up the media:
Scoop: Did Tom Cruise's workers make $1 an hour? Dec. 9, 2013, by Katy St. Clair, San Francisco Examiner, http://www.sfexaminer.com/sanfrancisco/ ... id=2645974

My comment: Brousseau has spoken of this slave-labor-for-Cruise scandal for years, but now that it's part of the record on a big court case, it's safer for media to report. It's not "their newspaper" insulting Cruise, they're just quoting court documents. There is a slight error in the text of the story, which reporter Katy St. Clair should correct lest Cruise come after the paper: Cruise didn't pay the Sea Org workers directly; he got all the work "for free."

Wieber

Post by Wieber » Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:54 pm

Don Carlo wrote:Brousseau's declaration for Monique Rathbun's case perks up the media:
Scoop: Did Tom Cruise's workers make $1 an hour? Dec. 9, 2013, by Katy St. Clair, San Francisco Examiner, http://www.sfexaminer.com/sanfrancisco/ ... id=2645974

My comment: Brousseau has spoken of this slave-labor-for-Cruise scandal for years, but now that it's part of the record on a big court case, it's safer for media to report. It's not "their newspaper" insulting Cruise, they're just quoting court documents. There is a slight error in the text of the story, which reporter Katy St. Clair should correct lest Cruise come after the paper: Cruise didn't pay the Sea Org workers directly; he got all the work "for free."
Cruise won't, at least he shouldn't, take the newspaper to court for what amounts to a typographical error. In court the original documentation would be put forward as evidence and it would just serve to further damn Cruise, Miscavige, and Scientology.
Doris Lessing

aegerprimo

Post by aegerprimo » Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:49 pm

Play by play at the Underground Bunker today - http://tonyortega.org/2013/12/11/texas- ... -in-court/
“The Answer to the Great Question... Of Life, the Universe and Everything... Is... Forty-two.”
― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Karen#1

Post by Karen#1 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:52 pm

Kudos to Tony Ortega for spectacular reporting.

Today in Comal County Texas, 14 Church lawyers show up. David Miscavige being deposed must be avoided at all costs...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPAOzrK6y6E

Don Carlo

Post by Don Carlo » Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:35 am

And thanks to Mike Bennitt, who expertly covered the Texas hearing today. He was crisp, clear, and thoughtful. We're so lucky to have such an ally.

i-Betty

Post by i-Betty » Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:52 am

Don Carlo wrote:And thanks to Mike Bennitt, who expertly covered the Texas hearing today. He was crisp, clear, and thoughtful. We're so lucky to have such an ally.
Seconded. I'm so glad Mike is on our side :)

Don Carlo

Post by Don Carlo » Sun Dec 22, 2013 5:04 am

Exclusive interview! Big juicy article with lots of pix!
Squirrel Busters, sex toys sent to work and secret cameras trained on their home: Paranoid ex-Scientology leader and wife claim their lives are a 'living hell' after crossing the powerful church, by Will Payne, reporting from "North Of San Antonio, Texas," The Daily Mail (UK), 20 Dec 2013,
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... hurch.html

Highlights: After meddling heavily in the flop Battleship Earth, Miscavige sent Rathbun after Travolta, to blame JT for its failure.

Marty said, " I Helped Create This Monster and I Have an Obligation"

gray_geek

Post by gray_geek » Mon Dec 23, 2013 8:41 am

Don Carlo wrote:Exclusive interview! Big juicy article with lots of pix!

Highlights: After meddling heavily in the flop Battleship Earth, Miscavige sent Rathbun after Travolta, to blame JT for its failure.

Two steps forward one step backward ... but the evolution of Marty's thinking is going into right direction.
Very encouraging !!!! Marty, keep going into same direction !!!

Losing the faith

Even after leaving Scientology, Marty still upheld certain aspects of its teachings and tried to defend it. But now he has completely given up.

He said: ‘I spent three years methodically out lining what was good about Scientology, but how it was corrupted. I tried to differentiate between some of the core beliefs and the ends justifies the means, us versus them mentality, but I came to the conclusion that they are so interwoven, you can’t separate them.

‘Scientology insists you take it as one big body, so you can’t pick bits out. I spent years defending the belief, but I got hammered by Scientologists and realized that kind of behavior was part of the whole thing. Everything is absolutist and extremist, it is cold war mentality.

Duty: Mr Rathbun said: 'People have spoken out because of me and I can’t just fade into the background. I helped create this monster and I have an obligation'

‘I am reading a book called Communist Mind Control. Part of my defending Scientology is one of the phases of coming out of it.

‘I was trying to justify all that time I had dedicated to Scientology because I couldn’t admit to myself that it had been wasted. But I am done with it now.

‘That said, I am not prepared to walk away, I can’t. I have helped hundreds if not thousands of people.

‘People have spoken out because of me and I can’t just fade into the background. I helped create this monster and I have an obligation.’

Wieber

Post by Wieber » Tue Dec 24, 2013 7:57 am

gray_geek wrote:
Don Carlo wrote:Exclusive interview! Big juicy article with lots of pix!

Two steps forward one step backward ... but the evolution of Marty's thinking is going into right direction.
Very encouraging !!!! Marty, keep going into same direction !!!

Losing the faith

Even after leaving Scientology, Marty still upheld certain aspects of its teachings and tried to defend it. But now he has completely given up.

He said: ‘I spent three years methodically out lining what was good about Scientology, but how it was corrupted. I tried to differentiate between some of the core beliefs and the ends justifies the means, us versus them mentality, but I came to the conclusion that they are so interwoven, you can’t separate them.

‘Scientology insists you take it as one big body, so you can’t pick bits out. I spent years defending the belief, but I got hammered by Scientologists and realized that kind of behavior was part of the whole thing. Everything is absolutist and extremist, it is cold war mentality.

Duty: Mr Rathbun said: 'People have spoken out because of me and I can’t just fade into the background. I helped create this monster and I have an obligation'

‘I am reading a book called Communist Mind Control. Part of my defending Scientology is one of the phases of coming out of it.

‘I was trying to justify all that time I had dedicated to Scientology because I couldn’t admit to myself that it had been wasted. But I am done with it now.

‘That said, I am not prepared to walk away, I can’t. I have helped hundreds if not thousands of people.

‘People have spoken out because of me and I can’t just fade into the background. I helped create this monster and I have an obligation.’
I will say this to Marty and I hope he comes here to read it. Coming away from Scientology and recovering from anything negative that happened to you is much much harder for you than it is for most others who have left. The same goes for Mike Rinder.

You well may have an obligation to others but you have an obligation to yourself that is equally, if not more, important. Your healing and your recovery is important. It looks like you are seeking that and I wish you well with it.
Doris Lessing

Return to “Opinions & Debate”